Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,749 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment (973 Views)

Lost My Job Today, After Few Months Of Employment / Ever Been Embarrassed By An Ex-Employer After Leaving The Job? / Will You Receive A 25k Salary With An Msc Degree Because You Can't Get Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by forwardvent(m): 10:00pm On Feb 27, 2020
Hi guys,

I really need you advice on this. It's almost a month now that I start my new employment with a real estate firm in Lagos. I was reading random articles on a tech website, then I bumped into an article on this company.

I visited the company's website and I felt like it's the kind of company I would like to work with, so I sent them an email with my CV attached requesting to join their team. Prior to this time, I work with a construction company as Internal Auditor and I was on 100k monthly salary. I got tired of working with the company because they delay in paying salary and will usually pay half salary to staff at the end of the month. At a point, the staff salary was slashed by 25% due to low cash inflow.

Fast forward to the new job, I got a reply inviting me for a chat at the office. Before I went to the office for the chat, I did some research on the company and I found out that it's a startup company less than 2yrs old and with staff strength less than 10. I felt like they weren't going to offer much for salary.

I was at the office for the chat as scheduled. I had chats with the COO and Business Development Manager. After a short discuss on my education qualification and work experience, I was asked of my current salary and expected salary. I told them that I earn 100k currently and expect 200k from them, they never negotiated. I didn't want to go too high because I new it's a startup company and the more reason being that I was desperate to change job at this time.
I received employment for the position of a Finance Manager three days after the chat with a net salary of 200k and was expected to resume in February, 2020.

After I joined the company, I found out that the managers in the company earn as much as 600k and the least earn 400k. I was devastated. I'm the Finance Manager and on a salary of 200k. I'm currently on 6month probation as stated in the employment letter and I've barely spend a month here. All the managers are less than a year old in the company, have same level of qualification with me and lesser years of experience.

I'm thinking of request for salary review and at same time thinking maybe it's too early to make such request.

I don't know how I should go about this. Kindly advise.
Re: Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by Davash222(m): 10:04pm On Feb 27, 2020
Watch how BMC miscreants on a 30k monthly stipends would come here now and be forming economic advisers and human resources managers.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by healthserve(m): 10:07pm On Feb 27, 2020
Come back and testify after applying this truth wink

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by chatinent: 10:07pm On Feb 27, 2020
Everything is possible in Nigeria.
Re: Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by forwardvent(m): 10:09pm On Feb 27, 2020
healthserve:
Too early. Do not

Make them depend on you first by seeing your contributions. Then you can re-negotiate based on input not on expectations and self appraisals

Come back and testify after applying this truth wink

Thanks for your advice.

1 Like

Re: Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by Ofemmanu1: 10:11pm On Feb 27, 2020
Davash222:
Watch how BMC miscreants on a 30k monthly stipends would come here now and be forming economic advisers and human resources managers.
esp mannabbqgrilz.

That suya selling mofhuker is a basterrd.

1 Like

Re: Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by healthserve(m): 10:11pm On Feb 27, 2020
forwardvent:

Thanks for your advice.

I

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by forwardvent(m): 10:17pm On Feb 27, 2020
healthserve:

Its been years since i left somewhere, they're still hunting my life to have me back ;DJust few months of seeing what i could do. Give them time, show your talents, inputs, brinv new systems focus on developing the areana. Make the organization depend on you by brining your own ideas ( this has to be subtle, to them they see you performing,but the reality is to make them depend on you ) then pull the switch. Make it by the third month. Do not just negotiate. A raise negotiate the long run

Thanks and I really appreciate.
Re: Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by healthserve(m): 10:18pm On Feb 27, 2020
forwardvent:

Thanks and I really appreciate.

wink
Re: Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by MrBrownJay1(m): 10:42pm On Feb 27, 2020
anything before 6 months is a no no IMHO.... show the employer your worth and then, after due time, ask for a raise. 1 month is too early and makes you look greedy and unreliable.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by Kingzeez10: 11:23pm On Feb 27, 2020
Davash222:
You too talk
Re: Can I Renegotiate Salary With My Employer After One Month Of Employment by forwardvent(m): 12:08am On Feb 28, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
anything before 6 months is a no no IMHO.... show the employer your worth and then, after due time, ask for a raise. 1 month is too early and makes you look greedy and unreliable.
Appreciate your advise.

(1) (Reply)

Sinopec Oil & Gas Service Company Nigeria Limited Driller Vacancy / FG Shuts Down Abuja Parks Amid COVID-19 Resurgence / Chat Operators - Work From Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.