Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,004 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:42 AM

The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) (49341 Views)

Nigerian Nurse & His Fiancée Die In Motor Accident 6 Weeks After Engagement / Narrative Of A Journey From Sokoto To Akwa Ibom / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Mindlog: 1:13pm On Jul 26, 2020
EbonyCy:

Which kind yeye course did I study....anatomy has finished me....u hardly find anatomy in any job vacancy be it public or private in Nigeria...
Now look at these ��...no recognition of an anatomist�

You can always switch career path.

2 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by protonz(m): 6:10pm On Jul 28, 2020
switching can be somewhat of a suicidal attempt, except u have the financial support to foot the bill and ur heart has to be fixed bcus definitely there wud come a time you would be wondering if what u are doing is actually worth it...

am talking from my experience oo sad

i pray it ends in joy for me sha..

by now i should have been receiving my NYSC allawee , but i decided to defer my BSC to pursue Nursing RN

2 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by TheLasyBuddha: 9:12am On Jul 31, 2020
Soknown:
The new Health and Care Visa for foreign medical workers will open for applications on 4 August 2020, the government has announced.

The visa is not a new route as such, but a species of Tier 2 (General) visa — the announcement comes in a new Part A to the Tier 2 policy guidance, added on 14 July. It is also misnamed in the sense that it is only for “qualified doctors, nurses and allied health professionals who have been trained to a recognised standard” — not for care home workers. The full list of eligible professions is:

2112 – Biological scientists and biochemists
2113 – Physical Scientists
2211 – Medical Practitioners
2212 – Psychologists
2213 – Pharmacists
2214 – Ophthalmic Opticians
2215 – Dental practitioners
2217 – Medical Radiographers
2218 – Podiatrists
2219 – Health Professionals not elsewhere classified
2221 – Physiotherapists
2222 – Occupational Therapists
2223 – Speech and Language Therapists
2229 – Therapy professionals not elsewhere classified
2231 – Nurses
2232 – Midwives
2442 – Social Workers
3213 – Paramedics

Tier 2 Policy Guidance, Paragraph A3
To be eligible for a Health and Care Visa, the worker must be offered one of the above jobs, either for an NHS trust / health board or for one of several other medical and social care organisations listed in the guidance, and meet all the usual Tier 2 (General) criteria.

Reduced application fees are promised. The fees table has not yet been updated to say what they are, but the basic application fee has previously been reported as £464. Applicants should also be exempt from the Immigration Health Surcharge.

New NHS visa announced | Free Movement
A promising idea in many ways, but it is laughable that NHS workers from overseas still have to pay a surcharge ...

Decisions are to be fast-tracked, “with the aim that the vast majority are processed within three weeks”.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-launches-health-and-care-visa-to-ensure-uk-health-and-care-services-have-access-to-the-best-global-talent

OP, I have someone who has a BSc degree in social work and currently on their Master's degree in Gerontology (Finishing in September). The person has had on-the-job experience via placements. The person is currently employed in a teaching position here in Nigeria, can the person apply for the position of a social worker and be considered?
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by TheLasyBuddha: 9:18am On Jul 31, 2020
Richdee1:

Social Work is Bae! Sadly I never ready! Thank God say I no transfer go another course

I swear! Choosing Social work is one of the best decisions I made in my entire life. Imagine having the same recognition as other health care professionals for a course you didn't sweat to study.

If you know anyone who wants to study any course in social sciences, advise them to pursue Social work! Social work is the secret people are unaware of. It offers the easiest path to developed countries.

I love Social work too much abeg.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by TheLasyBuddha: 9:23am On Jul 31, 2020
Richdee1:

I mean not done with my 1st degree bro! Still an undergraduate

Let me let you in on a secret: pursue volunteering opportunities. Know by now, which area of social work you'd like to specialize in. Take placements very seriously. Even after placement, still go there! No dull o! Me, I dey regret now.
I had the golden opportunity to do a placement at two places the same time, I misuse am.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by famzynet: 11:20am On Jul 31, 2020
TheLasyBuddha:

OP, I have someone who has a BSc degree in social work and currently on their Master's degree in Gerontology (Finishing in September). The person has had on-the-job experience via placements. The person is currently employed in a teaching position here in Nigeria, can the person apply for the position of a social worker and be considered?
Yes. The person has the qualification and experience. Let the person find out requirements for social workers in the UK,and the association to join( could be HCPC). IELTS is most times needed to join these associations. Then the person can check job websites in UK and start applying.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Richdee1(m): 12:09pm On Jul 31, 2020
TheLasyBuddha:

Let me let you in on a secret: pursue volunteering opportunities. Know by now, which area of social work you'd like to specialize in. Take placements very seriously. Even after placement, still go there! No dull o! Me, I dey regret now.
I had the golden opportunity to do a placement at two places the same time, I misuse am.

Please can I get ur WhatsApp number, let's relate more
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by TheLasyBuddha: 12:23pm On Jul 31, 2020
Richdee1:

Please can I get ur WhatsApp number, let's relate more

Sure. Send me a PM.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by TheLasyBuddha: 12:25pm On Jul 31, 2020
famzynet:

Yes. The person has the qualification and experience. Let the person find out requirements for social workers in the UK,and the association to join( could be HCPC). IELTS is most times needed to join these associations. Then the person can check job websites in UK and start applying.

Thank you so much for your response.

How long is an IELTS examination result valid for? She did her IELTS back in 2018 and had an overall band score of 7.0.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Richdee1(m): 12:28pm On Jul 31, 2020
TheLasyBuddha:

How long is an IELTS examination result valid for? She did her IELTS back in 2018 and had an overall band score of 7.0.

The Exam is Valid for 2 years.. So she has to re do it again

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by TheLasyBuddha: 2:28pm On Jul 31, 2020
Richdee1:

The Exam is Valid for 2 years.. So she has to re do it again
OK. Thanks for the information.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by famzynet: 7:32pm On Jul 31, 2020
TheLasyBuddha:

Wow! A band 7 is high enough if she scored well in others . IELTS is 2 years.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 11:03pm On Jul 31, 2020
TheLasyBuddha:

can the person apply for the position of a social worker and be considered?
Details are still sketchy per mode of application of this policy, let's wait for the roll out in August.
Cheers.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by mumayo: 5:03am On Aug 04, 2020
Soknown:
The new Health and Care Visa for foreign medical workers will open for applications on 4 August 2020, the government has announced.

The visa is not a new route as such, but a species of Tier 2 (General) visa — the announcement comes in a new Part A to the Tier 2 policy guidance, added on 14 July. It is also misnamed in the sense that it is only for “qualified doctors, nurses and allied health professionals who have been trained to a recognised standard” — not for care home workers. The full list of eligible professions is:

2112 – Biological scientists and biochemists
2113 – Physical Scientists
2211 – Medical Practitioners
2212 – Psychologists
2213 – Pharmacists
2214 – Ophthalmic Opticians
2215 – Dental practitioners
2217 – Medical Radiographers
2218 – Podiatrists
2219 – Health Professionals not elsewhere classified
2221 – Physiotherapists
2222 – Occupational Therapists
2223 – Speech and Language Therapists
2229 – Therapy professionals not elsewhere classified
2231 – Nurses
2232 – Midwives
2442 – Social Workers
3213 – Paramedics

Tier 2 Policy Guidance, Paragraph A3
To be eligible for a Health and Care Visa, the worker must be offered one of the above jobs, either for an NHS trust / health board or for one of several other medical and social care organisations listed in the guidance, and meet all the usual Tier 2 (General) criteria.

Reduced application fees are promised. The fees table has not yet been updated to say what they are, but the basic application fee has previously been reported as £464. Applicants should also be exempt from the Immigration Health Surcharge.

New NHS visa announced | Free Movement
A promising idea in many ways, but it is laughable that NHS workers from overseas still have to pay a surcharge ...

Decisions are to be fast-tracked, “with the aim that the vast majority are processed within three weeks”.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-launches-health-and-care-visa-to-ensure-uk-health-and-care-services-have-access-to-the-best-global-talent
Please any info on how this will progress?
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Yemisih(f): 5:39pm On Aug 04, 2020
https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-health-care-visa

mumayo:

Please any info on how this will progress?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by mumayo: 10:31pm On Aug 05, 2020

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 1:45am On Aug 07, 2020
I had no qualms in cutting the old Biometric card into two and sent it out in a registered mail to Home office. I have a new one already. It is a crime to hold on to the old one.

My colleagues knew that I will be relocating way back in October, because I told the ward manager and the ward manager mentioned it in our monthly meeting. When I did not resign in October, November or December. Some colleagues concluded that I was joking, that I wasn't going to move out after all. Now when they heard that I have tendered my resignation. It came as surprise to them but it was funny to me because they knew about it way back in October. Anyways colleagues from other wards started calling me to verify if it is true that I have resigned.
My ward manager in collaboration with our own Queen on the ward, we call her Queen on Capel. She has worked in the trust for about 32 years, on the Capel for close to 30 years.( Talk of dedication) She retired and came back to work though with reduced hours. She is the equivalent of your Social prefect in secondary. The duo pressed me to give a date for my leaving DO but i couldn't give one until early February. Eventually I gave them one one day towards the end of February.
I inserted myself into my work, making sure there was no mistakes. I have good reputation, I need not spoil it because I am leaving. I get to work early as usual, do my routine tasks impeccably. Help out struggling and overwhelmed colleagues. I attended to patients and relations with great care and compassion. Voiced out my concerns as patient's advocate. I stopped all bank shifts out of intuition.
The resumption date on my new employment contract stated that I should resume on 12th January. But I was able to convince the HR office that it was not possible because of the mistakes on the CoS, my new Visa application was delayed.Thus I need a new date in March so I was given 9th of March.
I started to search for Removal company that will help me with removal of my household items. I got a quote from one company in Crawley, quoted about £1800 for removal, overnight storage and next day delivery. I protested that I don't want the storage, just remove and deliver. The company insisted that, if I want to use them, that is the charge. I told them Mbanu - Never.
I got some other ones, some said, they cannot go as far out as Lincolnshire, some have small buses that could not contain my belongings. A friend advised me to use rent-a-van, I could rent a van from this company, drive it myself or get another person to drive. So I searched out Rent-a-van company within Redhill. I saw that they have different categories of vans. From Luton with automatic loading lift, to Sprinters, to Boxers, minivans and Cars.
The prices displayed were very pocket friendly. Renting a Luton Van was less than £200, but I chose a Sprinter van and made a reservation.
It was just perfect for me. I discussed with one of my church members if he could drive the van for a fee. He said no problem except that he will be travelling out of the country about the time that I would need him. So I cancelled the reservation.
Then the reality dawned on me. I should have learnt how to drive before now. Though I was driving efficiently in Nigeria, driving here is opposite of what I know. At this point I regretted not perfecting my driving lessons.

I continued to search till i found a Nigerian with his van, we negotiated on the fee, he came over to check the belongings and we arrived at a price that benefited both parties, less than £800. I transferred a deposit to him to demonstrate my commitment.

15 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 4:19am On Aug 07, 2020
Autumn is gold

13 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 4:24am On Aug 07, 2020
Attitude is everything

3 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 4:29am On Aug 07, 2020
Attitude is everything. Me sipping and rocking me water, Attitude.

7 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 4:36am On Aug 07, 2020
Attitude.

5 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by IYIMAN: 6:41pm On Aug 07, 2020
Soknown:
Attitude is everything. Me sipping and rocking me water, Attitude.

Attitude is everything.

The angry caller/customer.

It's your call. Dial 112.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 8:46pm On Aug 07, 2020
IYIMAN:

Attitude is everything.

The angry caller/customer.

It's your call. Dial 112.
Remembered those 112 days.
lolz.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by famzynet: 9:34pm On Aug 07, 2020
Soknown:
I had no qualms in cutting the old Biometric card into two and sent it out in a registered mail to Home office. I have a new one already. It is a crime to hold on to the old one.

My colleagues knew that I will be relocating way back in October, because I told the ward manager and the ward manager mentioned it in our monthly meeting. When I did not resign in October, November or December. Some colleagues concluded that I was joking, that I wasn't going to move out after all. Now when they heard that I have tendered my resignation. It came as surprise to them but it was funny to me because they knew about it way back in October. Anyways colleagues from other wards started calling me to verify if it is true that I have resigned.
My ward manager in collaboration with our own Queen on the ward, we call her Queen on Capel. She has worked in the trust for about 32 years, on the Capel for close to 30 years.( Talk of dedication) She retired and came back to work though with reduced hours. She is the equivalent of your Social prefect in secondary. The duo pressed me to give a date for my leaving DO but i couldn't give one until early February. Eventually I gave them one one day towards the end of February.
I inserted myself into my work, making sure there was no mistakes. I have good reputation, I need not spoil it because I am leaving. I get to work early as usual, do my routine tasks impeccably. Help out struggling and overwhelmed colleagues. I attended to patients and relations with great care and compassion. Voiced out my concerns as patient's advocate. I stopped all bank shifts out of intuition.
The resumption date on my new employment contract stated that I should resume on 12th January. But I was able to convince the HR office that it was not possible because of the mistakes on the CoS, my new Visa application was delayed.Thus I need a new date in March so I was given 9th of March.
I started to search for Removal company that will help me with removal of my household items. I got a quote from one company in Crawley, quoted about £1800 for removal, overnight storage and next day delivery. I protested that I don't want the storage, just remove and deliver. The company insisted that, if I want to use them, that is the charge. I told them Mbanu - Never.
I got some other ones, some said, they cannot go as far out as Lincolnshire, some have small buses that could not contain my belongings. A friend advised me to use rent-a-van, I could rent a van from this company, drive it myself or get another person to drive. So I searched out Rent-a-van company within Redhill. I saw that they have different categories of vans. From Luton with automatic loading lift, to Sprinters, to Boxers, minivans and Cars.
The prices displayed were very pocket friendly. Renting a Luton Van was less than £200, but I chose a Sprinter van and made a reservation.
It was just perfect for me. I discussed with one of my church members if he could drive the van for a fee. He said no problem except that he will be travelling out of the country about the time that I would need him. So I cancelled the reservation.
Then the reality dawned on me. I should have learnt how to drive before now. Though I was driving efficiently in Nigeria, driving here is opposite of what I know. At this point I regretted not perfecting my driving lessons.

I continued to search till i found a Nigerian with his van, we negotiated on the fee, he came over to check the belongings and we arrived at a price that benefited both parties, less than £800. I transferred a deposit to him to demonstrate my commitment.

Good to have you back. We learn from your experience.

Please what is meant by deposite in accommodation? Assuming a room rent is £450 pcm and they say deposite is £550 ,how much will one pay to get in? What happens to the remainder money?

'We don’t take deposits, but you do need to pay 2 weeks advance rent when you move in. This will be a credit on your rent account.' If rent is £120 pw ,how much do I need to move in? When will next payment be?
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 9:53pm On Aug 07, 2020
famzynet:

Good to have you back. We learn from your experience.

Please what is meant by deposite in accommodation? Assuming a room rent is £450 pcm and they say deposite is £550 ,how much will one pay to get in? What happens to the remainder money?

'We don’t take deposits, but you do need to pay 2 weeks advance rent when you move in. This will be a credit on your rent account.' If rent is £120 pw ,how much do I need to move in? When will next payment be?

In the first instance, you are required to pay a deposit of £550+ the tenancy fee of £450, meaning you are to pay £1000 before you can move in, but the deposit will be lodged in a tenancy deposit scheme. At the end of the tenancy, the deposit will be returned to you if there are no damages apart from normal wear and tear.

In the second instance, I believe, it's just saying you need to pay an advance payment or a with-holding fee of £60, if the monthly rent is £120. So the initial £60 paid will be deducted from the monthly rent. Simply, you pay half ahead and balance up the rest when you move in. ( Is this a houseshare?)

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by famzynet: 12:11am On Aug 08, 2020
Soknown:

In the first instance, you are required to pay a deposit of £550+ the tenancy fee of £450, meaning you are to pay £1000 before you can move in, but the deposit will be lodged in a tenancy deposit scheme. At the end of the tenancy, the deposit will be returned to you if there are no damages apart from normal wear and tear.

In the second instance, I believe, it's just saying you need to pay an advance payment or a with-holding fee of £60, if the monthly rent is £120. So the initial £60 paid will be deducted from the monthly rent. Simply, you pay half ahead and balance up the rest when you move in. ( Is this a houseshare?)
Yes it is house share. Thanks a lot for your explanation. Accommodation is really expensive in the UK.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 12:32am On Aug 08, 2020
famzynet:

Yes it is house share. Thanks a lot for your explanation. Accommodation is really expensive in the UK.
You are Welcome. It is expensive my friend.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 12:34am On Aug 08, 2020
Small 34°c and the beaches are filled to the brim.
Reality is that the 34° actually felt like 45°.
Brighton beach looking like Lagos Airport Hotel's swimming pool on Valentine day.

5 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 12:36am On Aug 08, 2020
Same Brighton beach, looking like the popular Oshodi park of famed Yellow buses .

4 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by vhuqnl(m): 5:35am On Aug 08, 2020
Welcome back. You can't do more than 20hrs of extra bank shift per week according to law right?
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Luchiano54: 9:40am On Aug 08, 2020
[quote author=Soknown post=91869398]

OP, for those of us who came with Tier 2(General) visa and would want to apply for our dependents, how do we go about in order not to pay for IHS?
Thank you
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Cmanforall: 10:00am On Aug 08, 2020
Soknown:
'The end of a race marks the beginning of the next one', so says a wise man. So that capped my 16 years of being a nurse in Nigeria. I gave the country and the profession my all, served in various capacities. Worked in unimaginable conditions, Jungles, Swamps, raging Sea, Spent more time in the air and sea than on the land. and survived a chopper crash. This is testament to the unassuming and unyielding resolve and resillience of a typical Nigerian. While i did not attempt to glorify leaving the shores of Nigeria as a Success in itself, i see it as another opportunity to perform on a much more rewarding platform and in a society that rewards excellence, diligence and all the good virtues which we are naturally embued with as Nigerians.
I hope in my little way, been able to inspire someone or at least provide information which could be useful, now or later.
Now i want to implore that the mods help in moving this to front page, while i am open for questions, supportive comments and concerns. As i prepare to write on the next phase.
Nice one. And congratulations!

Please, which sponsor did you use for the Tier 2 visa?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (23) (Reply)

Boat Accident At Okrika Kalio Rivers, 16 Persons Rescued Alive (Graphic Photos) / Lagos Blue Line Trains On Their Way From China (Photos & Video). / Truck Conveying Army Armored Tank Involved In Multiple Accident In Borno. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.