Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,334 members, 7,780,875 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:41 AM

Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) (37857 Views)

Different Shades Of Face Masks In Lagos (Photos) / Mass Production Of Face-masks In Aba (For Coronavirus Protection) / How Much Do They Sell Face Mask And Hand Sanitizer In Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by LosC: 10:14am On Feb 29, 2020
The Federal Government has warned that suppliers and retailers using the excuse of coronavirus case in Nigeria to inflate protective apparel will be prosecuted. It said sellers of face masks and latex gloves, personal hygiene products like sanitizers and anti-bacterial wipes, have increased prices of the products which are necessary in preventing infection or spread of COVID-19.

Federal Competition & Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC), on Saturday, released a meomo via FCCPC twitter handle, said the inordinate practice during national public health concern violates both moral codes and extant law.

Babatunde Irukera, Chief Executive Officer, in a statement he signed, noted that abusing citizens’ sensitivity, apprehension, anxiety and vulnerability, especially during emergencies that could adversely affect national security is a violation of law.

It said the commission’s surveillance efforts have revealed that even reputable pharmacies and department stores are engaging in price gouging and manipulating supplies in a manner that distorts the market, or temporarily restricts availability in order to unreasonably/unfairly increase prices.

“Any conspiracy, combination, agreement or arrangement to unduly limit or manipulate supply, in order to unreasonably enhance price or otherwise restrain competition is a criminal offence under S.108(1)(b) and (c), FCCPA”, he noted.

“Any exercise or exploitation of undue pressure in selling or the sale of goods or services, or price manipulation between displayed, and selling price are also serious violations of the FCCPA under Sections 115(3) and 124(1).

“Taking advantage of the possibility of infection by a dangerous communicable disease to control supply, or unilaterally increase prices is predatory as it preys on the desperation of citizens.

“Considering the circumstances and the vital national interest/security this illegal conduct undermines, the Commission intends to strongly enforce the full letter of the law, including the fullest extent of penalties associated with this conduct,”
he added.

The FCCPC encouraged consumers to be vigilant, and report such unreasonable or arbitrary exploitative price increase or trade practices to the Commission by telephone on 08056002020, or 08056003030, or by email: contact@fccpc.gov.ng

https://twitter.com/fccpcnigeria/status/1233546723051606017?s=19

41 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by Alwaysachick: 10:18am On Feb 29, 2020
No be person wey don see food to chop go buy sanitizer?

Federal govt do your part.....such items should be given for free and not sold at this point in time.

At the end of this epidermic, we will be seeing expenses running in billions spent on the invincible.

I just made No1 since 2013 grin. Itz worth celebrating. Please join me celebrate by dashing me some likes grin

348 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by Ade24682: 10:19am On Feb 29, 2020
That’s their business. I am already planning on getting large quantity of it. And selling at a higher price.
For those quoting me. Shit no be me cause una problem as you all don’t know jokes. Shit see as una take my comment personal grin

9 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by Mutemenot(m): 10:21am On Feb 29, 2020
Why not close the shops instead of making this long publications sad we respect actions in this country...

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by LosC: 10:21am On Feb 29, 2020
Ade24682:
That’s their business. I am already planning on getting large quantity of it. And selling at a higher price.

Smh

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by TheTourist: 10:21am On Feb 29, 2020
This should be implemented but knowing Nigeria....your guess is as good as mine grin

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by LosC: 10:29am On Feb 29, 2020
Lalasticlala
Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by nnadychuks(m): 10:36am On Feb 29, 2020
Ade24682:
people like you are the country’s problem. Are you a billionaire with this level of greed?

132 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by SultanOfPuna: 10:40am On Feb 29, 2020
This Corona Na Bad Market..

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by emmabest2000(m): 10:40am On Feb 29, 2020
Mask for 9jar ? Lol..
That mask will cause more harm than good ooooooo cheesy

Meanwhile....

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by NaijadrivaCars: 10:41am On Feb 29, 2020
Stories, when una increase tax, VAT etc and Nigerians kuku de opportunistic.

9 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by tuoyoojo(m): 10:41am On Feb 29, 2020
Its a natural law of supply and demand... Basic SS1 economics

The only way u can control the price is by flooding the market with face mask and sanitizers free of charge or at a ridiculously low price

Modified
Use of face mask has not added advantage in d fight against corona virus. Its mainly indicated if one is having cough or infected and one is trying to prevent the infection from spreading to others

What is really important is hand hygiene since the particles can be transmitted when droplets infected comes in contact with our mucus membrane

So hand washing or use of alcohol based hand sanitizers in the gold standard

Asides that, talk is cheap

117 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by damdam995(m): 10:41am On Feb 29, 2020
Anything for the mullar!
Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by Sunnycliff(m): 10:41am On Feb 29, 2020
I support the FG on this one! Full time beatings and torture for all pharmaceutical stores who hiked prices

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by Righteousness89(m): 10:41am On Feb 29, 2020
Our Government talks with no Action..

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by pweeryambre: 10:41am On Feb 29, 2020
Nice one, only if the retailers will take the warning serious.
meanwhile, new observation shows that the number of nairaland members suddenly increased in triple fold in recent times, or did other countries subscribed to nairaland.
Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by qualityovenbake(m): 10:42am On Feb 29, 2020
Good move from the government.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by Nobody: 10:42am On Feb 29, 2020
Story

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by harmless011: 10:42am On Feb 29, 2020
No need threatening anyone FG should just order for it in large quantity from the manufacturer and make available to the public at subsidize rate, when those guys hording the product witness low patronage nobody go tell them to start selling at normal rate.
Is not everything you resort to threat and force, simple supply and demand can solve this problem.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by Sunnycliff(m): 10:42am On Feb 29, 2020
tsephanyah:
DO NOT let this get the best of us! Do your part by being vigilant in hygiene. You have to so this and teach your family about washing hands, covering the mouth when sneezing or coughing. Teach the manners and hygiene . WE can help the whole Nigeria by being aware. I believe the medical profession is doing their part but THEY CANNOT DO IT ALONE. COMMON SENSE PEOPLE!!!!

Some statistical perspective may help validate this opinion: With 11m Wuhan residents, and another 14m in the direct vicinity, there are approx 25 million local residents who MUST have been exposed - especially since the virus has been confirmed to have spread globally. Say that only a paltry 5% of these local-area residents had been infected: that would translate into about 6% of infected persons showing any symptoms, per the Chinese 80,000 cases. Based on the fatality stats from China, that means about 0.2% sadly would have passed away. In sum, very similar to a standard flu season.

56,000 people die on average per year from influenzas. Why the hysteria about the Corona Virus? No one was panicking a few weeks ago when the flu was running rampant ( still is actually ) AND NOW PDP AND I-POTS ARE POLITICISING THE CoviD19 [/s]

I see. You need to be a host to the Italian guy.
Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by YorubaKinging: 10:43am On Feb 29, 2020
Once this coronaVirus gets to the Northern part of this so called country
That time buhari will speak and address the nation proving once again his allegiance
But I'm very sure no Yoruba man will contact this virus cant say the same for the rest of the tribes
Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by CotenantNIG: 10:43am On Feb 29, 2020
‘Buddy Ups’ are people looking for a room who would also be interested in hearing from other room seekers in their area, with a view to possibly forming a group and searching for suitable whole properties to rent. If you are struggling to find exactly what you are looking for this can be a great way of getting your ideal room, with flatmates you like.

Click the box below to find like-minded room seekers in your chosen area and price range. Browse their profiles and get in touch with any you like the sound of. Don’t forget to place your own profile so other users can get in touch with you.

Handy Tip:
Most properties have bedrooms of varying sizes and desirability and it is common practice to split rent accordingly with higher rent being paid for larger and more desirable rooms. Therefore don’t disregard other users who you like just because they have a lower or higher budget than yourself. This can make for the most harmonious houseshare as each flatmate has a room to suit their budget.

https://cotenant.ng/buddy-up/
Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by KendrickAyomide: 10:43am On Feb 29, 2020
cheesy
Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by chronique(m): 10:43am On Feb 29, 2020
Hmm. I hope this isn't one of the many press releases that the government makes but never follows through. As Nigerians, we are just a problem to ourselves. A deadly virus hits the world and instead of us thinking of how to protect our race, all we are concerned about is how to make brisk business and make quick money. This is the result of greed and poverty that has been inculcated into the society over a period of time and has come to stay.

4 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by jom4real007(m): 10:43am On Feb 29, 2020
How about this?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by Kylekent59: 10:43am On Feb 29, 2020
Good start by the FG.

The most wicked set of people on earth are Nigerians.

Where the prices are meant to be brought down so as to save lives , some are increasing it.

5 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Increase Prices Of Face Mask, Sanitizer and Go To Jail – FG (pics) by Lovelies1: 10:44am On Feb 29, 2020
Next have arrived from the previous post were it cost 15 k

Check my signature
And also the car for sale Honda Accord 2.0

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EXTERNAL HORDELEUM (chalazion Solution) / Exercise To Prevent Breast Sagging / She Hid Her Hiv Status From Her Hubby For 5yrs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.