Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s (11912 Views)

Kalu: I Left $4 Billion Balance Sheet In My Companies Before Joining Politics / Godswill Akpabio: Oil Companies Owe NDDC Over $4 Billion / Okorocha Was Worth N50billion Before He Became Governor - Onwuasoanya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by franchasng: 11:37am On Mar 01, 2020
Daviddson:

My point is that he wasn't worth up to 4bn dollars like the headline is claiming. And no mention was made of cash in any British bank, so I wonder where you brought that from.

Few people realise that he still remains the richest African by every standard today, worth in trillions if you consider that he left about £10m in 1966 – at 10 per cent compound interest,

You skipped that part.

He invested in British stock and banks.

His son Odimegwu used his money to fund Biafran government, which was part of the reason the man developed heart issues and later died in 1966 angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by Cubana6: 11:37am On Mar 01, 2020
[s]
itsme01:

Even till date Ojukwus asset litters lagos, mostly his real estates

No doubt he was very rich, but so was Alhasan dantata, and quite frankly there was know forbes list then so its all left to information you independently have about the two, and personally i think Alhassan's business far outshine The Ojjuukwus.. and Dantata is pretty more popular with the british,

Ibos can't be marginalised as they are among the three largest ethnic group in nigeria and arguebly among top 10 in africa, so the marginalisation is a ruse used by politicians .. reason why Ibos are not the top is simply geographical, especially access to Sea, no matter how hard ibos work if they still use lagos, portharcout or SS ports other people would keep on getting rich out of that
[/s]
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by Nobody: 11:39am On Mar 01, 2020
Nnewi ehn. Everyody from there na rich man gringrin una too much.

1 Like

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by kayfra: 11:40am On Mar 01, 2020
UmuEri:
MEET FIRST NIGERIAN BILLIONAIRE WHO WAS WORTH OVER $4 BILLION IN 1950s

Not many people knew about Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu, but a greater number of people knew his son, Late Chief Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu .

Sir Louis odumegwu ojukwu , the first-ever recorded Nigerian Billionaire. He was considered the wealthiest person in Nigeria and Africa as at that time. His Net-Worth calculated to be Over 4 billion dollars as of 1950s.

He was the founder of ojukwu Transport, Ojukwu stores, and Ojukwu Textiles. He was the first and founding president and of the Nigerian Stock exchange Market. He was also the chairman of the board of many profitable companies in Nigeria then such as shell oil company, Guinness Nigeria limited.

He started his professional career at the agricultural department before leaving to join John Holt as a Tyre sales clerk before diversifying into the textile and transport sector exhibiting the entrepreneurial spirit of the South East.

He was also reportedly the first Nigerian Billionaire man to own a Mercedes Benz in all of Nigeria then. Starting as a low-level employee to a billionaire shows that hard work, focus and determination pay off. It was also reported that his rolls Royce was used to carry the queen of England on her first visit to Nigeria, he was the only African man that own a limousine.

The record of his Net-Worth at a time was not able to be calculated, becasue he was into real estate and owns up to 70% of landed properties in Lagos.

He was no billionaire in dollars. Stop the madness. Besides, many Yorubas were way richer than him. Way too many and we've addressed this several times.

Stop insisting on lies for your redemption

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by Cubana6: 11:43am On Mar 01, 2020
[s]
itsme01:
cool

See flat head oo lol.. Everyone knows Dantata ruled the 40s and 50s, but anybody is free to write any trash without source to boost low self esteem

[/s]
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by TheTourist: 11:46am On Mar 01, 2020
ALL FACTS. NO LIES OR PROPAGANDA.

I'M SURE ITS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY THE 'JEALOUSY AND ENVY' OF OTHERS TRIBES GREW OVERTIME.

LEGENDARY MAN

Modified: OP FORGOT TO MENTION THAT HE ONCE BOUGHT OFF A BRITISH OWNED HOTEL IN LAGOS THAT PROMOTED RACIAL DISCRIMINATION AGAINST BLACKS. ONLY WHITES ALLOWED!!!

3 Likes

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by Coldie(m): 11:49am On Mar 01, 2020
mrvitalis:

Igbo's are too smart for anybody liking thats why all the tribes waged war against us n won't allow us have our own country ( cause they know in 20 years they can never match us )
As igbos its in our interest for Nigeria not to break
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by kayfra: 11:49am On Mar 01, 2020
TheTourist:
ALL FACTS. NO LIES OR PROPAGANDA. AM SURE ITS ONE OF THE REASONS WHY THE 'JEALOUSY AND ENVY' OF OTHERS TRIBES GREW OVERTIME.

LEGENDARY MAN

Modified: OP FORGOT TO MENTION THAT HE ONCE BOUGHT OFF A BRITISH OWNED HOTEL IN LAGOS THAT PROMOTED RACIAL DISCRIMINATION AGAINST BLACKS. ONLY WHITES ALLOWED HOTEL
All caps doesn't earn you any brownie points or authenticity

It's all lies and fake news

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by kingigwe1: 11:50am On Mar 01, 2020
Daviddson:

My point is that he wasn't worth up to 4bn dollars like the headline is claiming. And no mention was made of cash in any British bank, so I wonder where you brought that from.
I don't even know how you read and comprehend.

Sir Louis odumegwu ojukwu , the first-ever recorded Nigerian Billionaire. He was considered the wealthiest person in Nigeria and Africa as at that time. His Net-Worth calculated to be Over 4 billion dollars as of 1950s

They said as of 1950s he worth 4billion dollars. What's your problem. Kill spirit of envy and witchcraft

5 Likes

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by rex444(m): 11:52am On Mar 01, 2020
NextD18:
Some people will not be impressed with his tribe.

But all the same....IGBO AMAKA!
hehehehe
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by kayfra: 11:53am On Mar 01, 2020
kingigwe1:
I don't even know how you read and comprehend.

Sir Louis odumegwu ojukwu , the first-ever recorded Nigerian Billionaire. He was considered the wealthiest person in Nigeria and Africa as at that time. His Net-Worth calculated to be Over 4 billion dollars as of 1950s

They said as of 1950s he worth 4billion dollars. What's your problem. Kill spirit of envy and witchcraft

Made up stuff from iPob historical archives

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by TheTourist: 12:01pm On Mar 01, 2020
kayfra:

All caps doesn't earn you any brownie points or authenticity

It's all lies and fake news

MY CAPS ARE LOCKED BUT IS YOUR BRAIN LOCKED TOO?
USE YOUR DATA WISELY AND FACT-CHECK BEFORE YOU COMMENT FOR COMMENTARY SAKE.

BE GUIDED
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by kingigwe1: 12:08pm On Mar 01, 2020
kayfra:

Made up stuff from iPob historical archives
smiles. Now I know where you are coming from. I don't reply or chat with failures

2 Likes

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by dav704(m): 12:24pm On Mar 01, 2020
Holiday packages for couples, individuals or with one's entire family for holiday purposes are worth trying out and enjoying. It allows for an exploration of some of the greatest cities or countries in the world where you are able to experience another taste of culture, people, color, food and all that entails life generally, especially when you go for a round trip holiday packages.

https://roundtripholidays.com.ng/services/holiday-packages-roundtrip-packages/

In a bid to choose any holiday packages, one needs to carry out thorough research on places that are not just best for travelers but also safe and worth the time, money and all resources to be spent.

On this page, therefore, we give you a quick highlight of places that cuts across the best holiday destination,

The best holiday destination for couples and also for families

You might find interesting and long to visit.

Let's begin with a list of the best holiday destination packages for the year that anyone can visit without regrets.

1. Japan- Japan will be hosting the year's edition of the Olympics themed 'Tokyo Olympics 2020'. The Olympics is the largest sporting event in the whole world and because of this, Japan, the host will see a massive influx of several athletes, sportsmen, and women from different countries. You really do not want to miss this exciting event in a unique country like Japan.

2. Jamaica- This country is home to banana plantations, scenic waterfalls, museums, ancient colonial buildings, etc and to add to, it's one of the locations for the filming of the Bond movie this year. Interesting, yea?

2. Morocco- Casablanca, Marrakesh, Rabat are some of the top cities to tour in Morocco. The country is also known for giving a new perspective to arts in the Global south. Meaning it's a home of contemporary arts.

3. Israel- Known for its religious heritage and sacred sites, you will find more than these that makes up Israel. The country with historical cities like Bethlehem, Jerusalem and also portions like the Dead sea, the UNESCO World Heritage site in Masada is a place to stay holidaying.

Other top 5 destinations packages in the world are:

1. Rijeka, Croatia

2. Mexico

3. Panama

4. Galway island

5. Frisian Islands, Denmark and so on.

Where can couples get the best holiday?

The answer is simple:

Below, we help you with a quick list of great holiday packages where couples and enjoy a romantic time out together.

- Paris- (A home of romance)

-Dubai-(Jumeirah Palm, Dubau Marina)

-Ibiza- (San Antonio, Playa d'en Bossa)

-Tenerife - +Playa da las Americas, Los cristianos, Costa Adeje)

- Rome (The Vatican city)

- Cape Verde

-Barbados

-Devon

-Florida

-The Greeks island

-The Lake District

-Kamari, Santorini

- The Philippines

-Tromso, Norway.

Lastly, on the page, there are places that are best for a family holiday. Places where you can go with your family apart from the convenience of your apartment where fun with kids and romance with one's spouse is top-notch! holiday destination packages.

-Dubai

-Cyprus

-Tenerife

-Barbados

-St. Lucia

-Antigua

-The Maldives

-Mauritius

-South Korea

-Alaska

-Costa Rica

-Lisbon, Portugal and a host of others are some of the best holiday destinations for great family time.

We have a more in-depth analysis and survey on each of these various highlights in our subsequent blogposts that will satisfy your craving and search.

Leave a comment below if you have ever had a terrible and sweet experience about your last vacation?
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by Dpaulie(m): 12:26pm On Mar 01, 2020
Igbos always believe that their problem is caused by the other surrounding tribes.. learn how to love other tribes, u lack intertribal relations and u don’t see it, you always right in your own house, even if u have your Biafra or whatever u called it, you will still have the same problem among one another (the sub tribes)... that’s why we may never have Igbo president because they want to make Nigeria president on their own, they have created enemy by themselves that no one (other tribes) can never support then especially Hausa/Fulani...wait and see how they will come and attack me now instead for them to check themselves

2 Likes

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by oyatz(m): 12:28pm On Mar 01, 2020
plusfield:

Let me start with your no 3. Are you aware that more than 50% of the footwears worn in these poor African nations are made in aba. Dont take my word for it. Visit Ariaria market in ABA, go to the bakassi end of the market where the footwears are made and find out who their markets are. There you will see customers from these African countries loading footwears, what did the federal government do? They closed the borders. That has accounted for loss of billions in revenue to these hardworking industrialists. The FGN knew what they were doing. They claim it's to stop illegal imports but killing legitimate exports. Enyinnaya Abaribe who represents that Constituency cried out. Did they listen? No. As along as its igbos, they can go to hell.

On your no 2. Yes, there is abundance of sun in the north. Are they harnessing it? No. What of the mineral deposits like gold that is there? They are killing any stranger that dares to come mine it with them while they still control ownership of over 65% of the oil wells in the Niger delta. And also, with regards to the power generation, I spoke once with a former boss of NERC and he told me that the law in place as we speak states that if you generate anything more than 1 megawatt of power, it must be handed to the national grid. So that stifles competitiveness and hardwork.

On no 4, I can assure you that though the south east had lagged behind in the area of industrial agriculture and farming, a lot of investment is going on as we speak in that regards by private industrialists and we pray that they reap the dividends of their investments because those who tried in the past had their fingers burnt because the govt put up policies that conferred huge advantage and favour to some competitors in the north. But for now, a silent revolution is growing in that sector now and self sufficiency and exports is the goal.

I dont know much about that no 1 point raised. Will look it up.

There are problems in life. As it is for every individuals, so it is for every corporate business organizations. . .there is no easy way out.
The very successful people are those who somehow have managed to solve their problems/obstacles/challenges.

1) The border closure affect all Nigerians irrespective of their tribes. If footwares can't be exported through land borders, why not through shipping ( which is the cheapest means of transportation of goods or even Cargo Airplanes?)

Successful business men don't sit down whining over obstacles to their business growths but they overcome or by-pass them.

2) Do you know how many houses can use one Mega watt of electricity?

Mass production of solar energy at affordable costs to private and commercial buildings don't need involvement of NERC or the FG.
I know some hospitals, Hotels, Churches and even Petrol Stations that have solar panels on their roofs supplying electricity as alternatives to NEPA.

You can key into this emerging markets especially in your State and nobody will discriminate against you.
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by Elimon(m): 12:36pm On Mar 01, 2020
itsme01:
cool

See flat head oo lol.. Everyone knows Dantata ruled the 40s and 50s, but anybody is free to write any trash without source to boost low self esteem

You're nothing but a hater...a real anti Igbo and a sign of Nigerian backwardness
The whole post is real...check all ur sources...stop being stupid...I'm not Igbo but even a blind man knows that these people are too industrious all over the world..they can move Nigeria forward if only these northern bigots let them

4 Likes

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by itsme01: 12:43pm On Mar 01, 2020
Elimon:

You're nothing but a hater...a real anti Igbo and a sign of Nigerian backwardness
The whole post is real...check all ur sources...stop being stupid...I'm not Igbo but even a blind man knows that these people are too industrious all over the world..they can move Nigeria forward if only these northern bigots let them

shut up... they are quick to yarn dust but cant take it, while they cowardly say they are not Ibos, who cares what you are

1 Like

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by mrvitalis(m): 12:44pm On Mar 01, 2020
Coldie:

As igbos its in our interest for Nigeria not to break
Lol because we trade ? ....lol bros relax ....if we get what we want Africa would be our market
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by itsme01: 12:44pm On Mar 01, 2020
franchasng:
Dantata's wealth is the one you could say was just more of audio without proof aside his groundnut businesses (the famous groundnut pyramids) that were well known in the north, but Sir Louis Ojukwu's wealth was known even to the British and had value attached like today, check this link https://punchng.com/old-money-10-super-rich-men-of-independence-era/

Regarded as the richest man in the British West African colonies, in 1929, Dantata deposited 20-camel-loads of silver coins in the newly opened Kano branch of Bank of West Africa

how come you never saw this in your own link

1 Like

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by Cubana6: 12:48pm On Mar 01, 2020
[s]
itsme01:

Regarded as the richest man in the British West African colonies, in 1929, Dantata deposited 20-camel-loads of silver coins in the newly opened Kano branch of Bank of West Africa

[/s]
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by Cubana6: 12:48pm On Mar 01, 2020
[s]
itsme01:

shut up... they are quick to yarn dust but cant take it, while they cowardly say they are not Ibos, who cares what you are
[/s]
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by ruggedtimi(m): 12:50pm On Mar 01, 2020
4billion dollars in 1950s .. How
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by Coldie(m): 1:19pm On Mar 01, 2020
mrvitalis:

Lol because we trade ? ....lol bros relax ....if we get what we want Africa would be our market
Do u even know what u are saying.

This is one of the few reasons why I don't trust ur judgements alot of u don't know what u are saying.

What will happen if African countries too decide to shut there borders.

Then we get stranded with our plans and reality sets in and its too late
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by XANDERBOY85: 1:23pm On Mar 01, 2020
plusfield:

Let me start with your no 3. Are you aware that more than 50% of the footwears worn in these poor African nations are made in aba. Dont take my word for it. Visit Ariaria market in ABA, go to the bakassi end of the market where the footwears are made and find out who their markets are. There you will see customers from these African countries loading footwears, what did the federal government do? They closed the borders. That has accounted for loss of billions in revenue to these hardworking industrialists. The FGN knew what they were doing. They claim it's to stop illegal imports but killing legitimate exports. Enyinnaya Abaribe who represents that Constituency cried out. Did they listen? No. As along as its igbos, they can go to hell.

On your no 2. Yes, there is abundance of sun in the north. Are they harnessing it? No. What of the mineral deposits like gold that is there? They are killing any stranger that dares to come mine it with them while they still control ownership of over 65% of the oil wells in the Niger delta. And also, with regards to the power generation, I spoke once with a former boss of NERC and he told me that the law in place as we speak states that if you generate anything more than 1 megawatt of power, it must be handed to the national grid. So that stifles competitiveness and hardwork.

On no 4, I can assure you that though the south east had lagged behind in the area of industrial agriculture and farming, a lot of investment is going on as we speak in that regards by private industrialists and we pray that they reap the dividends of their investments because those who tried in the past had their fingers burnt because the govt put up policies that conferred huge advantage and favour to some competitors in the north. But for now, a silent revolution is growing in that sector now and self sufficiency and exports is the goal.

I dont know much about that no 1 point raised. Will look it up.

When i read the fact stated in the first paragraph, the initial sentiments i get are anger and frustration! Aba has this much going for it, yet it doesn’t show in the appearance of the city, neither does it reflect in the states revenue or budget!
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by kurupt1: 1:27pm On Mar 01, 2020
mrvitalis:

Igbo's are too smart for anybody liking thats why all the tribes waged war against us n won't allow us have our own country ( cause they know in 20 years they can never match us )
mechionu......Ur boasting too much and it's irritating
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by franchasng: 1:32pm On Mar 01, 2020
itsme01:

is 1929 the same as 1950

Them never even born Louis Ojukwu that time cheesy
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by kayfra: 1:37pm On Mar 01, 2020
TheTourist:

MY CAPS ARE LOCKED BUT IS YOUR BRAIN LOCKED TOO?
USE YOUR DATA WISELY AND FACT-CHECK BEFORE YOU COMMENT FOR COMMENTARY SAKE.

BE GUIDED

Just a noise maker like the original intention of the thread. Noise making and empty chest beating. So many western guys were way richer than Agbari Ojukwu and nooe, they weren't dollar billionaires

1 Like

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by franchasng: 1:37pm On Mar 01, 2020
XANDERBOY85:

When i read the fact stated in the first paragraph, the initial sentiments i get are anger and frustration! Aba has this much going for it, yet it doesn’t show in the appearance of the city, neither does it reflect in the states revenue or budget!
You should know that much of the revenue goes to individual pockets, you know Nigerians don't like paying tax for obvious reasons.

On dirtiest of Aba and poor infrastructure, blame the state and federal governments, you don't expect private individuals to construct all the roads and also construct drained systems.
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by kayfra: 1:37pm On Mar 01, 2020
kingigwe1:
smiles. Now I know where you are coming from. I don't reply or chat with failures

Where did you get dollar figure networth from if not from your a$$

1 Like

Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by Nobody: 1:58pm On Mar 01, 2020
oyatz:

Excuse me sir, in the world of business, all these nepotism, tribalism and victim mentality don't hold water.

Nigeria and indeed Africa have so many developmental needs. If you are able to solve one or two of these needs, you will make your money regardless of your ethnic backgrounds.

For instance ,

1) incandescent electric bulbs are gradually being phased out in Developed countries but they are still the main electric bulbs in Nigeria, so if you can be the leading supplier of 10W Plastic LED bulbs to Kwara, Niger and Kogi States, you will become a Millionaire irrespective of your ethnic background.

2) There is abundant solar energy in Nigeria, especially in Northern Nigeria. If you can invest in the Solar energy business (the future of Energy Business), you will hit it big.

3) Millions of People are walking bare footed in our Neighbouring Countries. Start exporting our locally produced slippers to Niger, Chad and Central Africa Republic. Irrespective of your ethnic background, you will make millions.

4) Nigeria is a rice eating Nation and used to spend billions of Naira to import rice, tooth picks, shoe polish, Sugar etc. Start producing one of these locally in your State and watch your mouth rewards.

I appreciate your tips....infact you have inspired me...
Chukwu gozie gi
Re: Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s by mrvitalis(m): 2:51pm On Mar 01, 2020
kurupt1:
mechionu......Ur boasting too much and it's irritating
Was only quoting a white man oga

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity: Panic Buying In Lagos, Abuja / Tinubu Appoints El-Rufai Kaduna Campaign Coordinator, Senior Strategy Adviser / Dolphins, Sharks Commend Gov. Wike For Paying Salary Arrears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.