Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:24 PM

The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state - Culture (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state (37616 Views)

Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos / Why Is The Yoruba Not United In Business & Politics / How A Tribe, Kilba, In Adamawa Bury Their Dead (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 5:13pm On Sep 22, 2021
(1) Regarding the name “Igodomigodo,” “Aka,” Edo,” “Ado,” etc.:

First of all, the name “Igodomigodo” doesn’t exist in any writing until relatively recent times.

Secondly, the name “Ado” is Benin’s name according to the Ife-Yoruba ruling dynasty of Benin.

It is not some name used exclusively by some Yoruba living outside of Benin city. See attachment below for some eyewitness context of its usage by Binis.

(2) Regarding Ginuwa’s Ife-Yoruba patrilineal descent:

This has been detailed below in my second comment vis-a-vis the “actual crown” of the Itsekiri nation.

The Yoruba word “Olu” — lit. “The Premier” — is also another evidence which bolsters this evidence.

The Bini word “Ogiame”, on the other hand, accounts for the linguistic assimilation of the Ife dynastic line in the Benin socio-cultural environment.

(3) Regarding the alleged conquest of some villages & settlements in the Eastern Yoruba area by Benin:

IF by “conquered” what is meant is to emerge as winner during invasion; then Benin would be regarded as having “conquered” some eastern Yoruba villages/settlements. Also, some of the same villages/settlements would likewise be regarded as having sometimes also “conquered” Benin during the Benin invasions.

Moreover, the same definition of “conquered” would imply that Ogedengbe conquered Benin kingdom or at least regions of Benin kingdom when he invaded Benin kingdom. It would also mean the Aje from Ibadan conquered Benin kingdom or at least regions of it when he invaded Benin kingdom.

IF by “conquered” what is meant is to have ruled some eastern Yoruba villages/settlements; then this is not substantiated by historical evidence. See link below for details.

https://www.nairaland.com/6697675/power-oba-benin-wield-past/1#105140109

Cc: lx3as, Mraphel

6 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 5:28pm On Sep 22, 2021
Lieutenant John King, R.N. who visited the Benin area sometimes between 1815 and 1820 has the following to say about the actual crown (i.e. the primary/initial crown) of the Itsekiri nation:

At Warri "the actual crown of the sovereign is a sort of large cap in the shape of a cone three feet high, covered with coral beads and with a couple of birds' heads on top" (King)..

~ John King, c.1817, cited in H. L. Roth, Great Benin: Its Customs, Arts, and Horrors, (1903), p.27, note 1.

This description of the primary Itsekiri crown (from J. King’s eyewitness observation) matches nothing else but the signature Yoruba crowns popularly known as: Adé-Ńlá which is said by the Yoruba kingdoms holding them to be the actual crown (design) with which the Ife princes originally left Ife to establish their own respective kingdom.

These Ade-Nla crowns are usually adorned only once during sacred installation rites by the kingdoms who hold such jewels. An example of what Ade-Nla crowns look like is as attached below.

The logical implication of the foregoing information is that this primary (or “actual”) crown of the Itsekiris is the actual crown (among his royal share) with which Ginuwa left the Benin palace in the mid/late-1400.

It then follows logically that the Benin palace itself is a Yoruba place (in a foreign land) as have been noted by the early received Benin traditions as well as the Yoruba traditions which notes that Ade-Nla was given to the princes from IFE as a part of their royal gifts.

This explains, more clearly, why his (Ginuwa’s) group was accepted by the autochthonous group of the land without any resistance — i.e. an Ade-Nla crown which established his legitimacy as a “son” of Oodua.

History proves itself again for the umpteenth time.

Cc: lx3as

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 2:06pm On Sep 23, 2021
TAO11:
Lieutenant John King, R.N. who visited the Benin area sometimes between 1815 and 1820 has the following to say about the actual crown (i.e. the primary/initial crown) of the Itsekiri nation:

At Warri "the actual crown of the sovereign is a sort of large cap in the shape of a cone three feet high, covered with coral beads and with a couple of birds' heads on top" (King)..

~ John King, c.1817, cited in H. L. Roth, Great Benin: Its Customs, Arts, and Horrors, (1903), p.27, note 1.

This description of the primary Itsekiri crown (from J. King’s eyewitness observation) matches nothing else but the signature Yoruba crowns popularly known as: Adé-Ńlá which is said by the Yoruba kingdoms holding them to be the actual crown (design) with which the Ife princes originally left Ife to establish their own respective kingdom.

These Ade-Nla crowns are usually adorned only once during sacred installation rites by the kingdoms who hold such jewels. An example of what Ade-Nla crowns look like is as attached below.

The logical implication of the foregoing information is that this primary (or “actual”) crown of the Itsekiris is the actual crown (among his royal share) with which Ginuwa left the Benin palace in the mid/late-1400.

It then follows logically that the Benin palace itself is a Yoruba place (in a foreign land) as have been noted by the early received Benin traditions as well as the Yoruba traditions which notes that Ade-Nla was given to the princes from IFE as a part of their royal gifts.

This explains, more clearly, why his (Ginuwa’s) group was accepted by the autochthonous group of the land without any resistance — i.e. an Ade-Nla crown which established his legitimacy as a “son” of Oodua.

You are so full of sxxxxt. You gave a reference that described Warri crown and went ahead to claim it as Yoruba even when your reference never said so.

This is how you deceive your brain dead gullible followers.

The new Olu of Warri told your Ooni and the world that his lineage is from Benin during his coronation speech. Mind you, Oba of Benin was not in attendance but the representative of the Benin monarch performed their role. What role did the Ooni and Yoruba performed, the new Olu almost didn't get the crown simply because his mother is Yoruba.

You also produce a reference to Oba Ovonramwen calling on his father Oba Adolor and without any reference to Yoruba or Ife but like always, you dubiously inserted that the Benin monarch was of Yoruba origin.

The Benin/Ife Oduduwa myth started after the reigns of Oba Ovonramwen. Your reference in which Oba Ovonramwen called on his father, the late Oba Adolor and not Oduduwa should have been enough reason for you to know that any reference to Ife/Oduduwa in Benin history only began after Oba Ovonramwen.

ODUDUWA, IFE, OONI AND ORANMIYAN are not mentioned in Benin history until after the reign of Oba Ovonramwen.

Benin/Ife connection was created in late 1890s, same period the history of Oduduwa was written by Samuel Johnson drawing inspiration from Sultan Bello of Sokoto narrative of the origin of Yoruba written around 1824.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 4:05pm On Sep 23, 2021
samuk:
[s]You are so full of sxxxxt. You gave a reference that described Warri crown and went ahead to claim it as Yoruba even when your reference never said so.

This is how you deceive your brain dead gullible followers.

The new Olu of Warri told your Ooni and the world that his lineage is from Benin during his coronation speech. Mind you, Oba of Benin was not in attendance but the representative of the Benin monarch performed their role. What role did the Ooni and Yoruba performed, the new Olu almost didn't get the crown simply because his mother is Yoruba.

You also produce a reference to Oba Ovonramwen calling on his father Oba Adolor and without any reference to Yoruba or Ife but like always, you dubiously inserted that the Benin monarch was of Yoruba origin.

The Benin/Ife Oduduwa myth started after the reigns of Oba Ovonramwen. Your reference in which Oba Ovonramwen called on his father, the late Oba Adolor and not Oduduwa should have been enough reason for you to know that any reference to Ife/Oduduwa in Benin history only began after Oba Ovonramwen.

ODUDUWA, IFE, OONI AND ORANMIYAN are not mentioned in Benin history until after the reign of Oba Ovonramwen.

Benin/Ife connection was created in late 1890s, same period the history of Oduduwa was written by Samuel Johnson drawing inspiration from Sultan Bello of Sokoto narrative of the origin of Yoruba written around 1824[/s].
This one is here still fighting his inner demons. grin

I thought you had something new to say. I was very disappointed to find that it’s your usual self-consoling crap over which I have repeatedly humiliated you.

Facts beat Rants any day my dear. kiss

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 4:42pm On Sep 23, 2021
APPENDIX:
(1) None of the following names of Benin obas appeared in Benin writing until after the reign of Ovonramwen. And not all even appeared by that date.

Eweka I
Uwuakhuahen
Henmihen
Ewedo
Oguola
Edoni
Udagbedo
Ohen
Egbeka
Orobiru
Uwaifiokun
Ewuare I
Ezoti
Olua
Ozolua
Esigie
Orhogbua
Ehengbuda
Ohuan
Ohenzae
Akenkpaye
Akengbedo
Ore-Oghene
Ewuakpe
Ozuere
Akenzua I
Eresoyen
Akengbuda
Obanosa
Ogbebo
Osemwende

@samuk should worry that these so-called obas have nothing to do with Benin kingdom, right? LMAO. cheesy

(2) Refer to the link below for details of how @samuk’s rant has been repeatedly dumped in the trash where it rightly belongs.

https://www.nairaland.com/6735359/historical-narrative-oduduwa#105492892

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by macof(m): 4:59pm On Sep 23, 2021
TAO11:

This one is here still fighting his inner demons. grin

I thought you had something new to say. I was very disappointed to find that it’s your usual self-consoling crap over which I have repeatedly humiliated you.

Facts beat Rants any day my dear. kiss

You can feel his pains in the realisation that the warri kingdom once used a Yoruba crown grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 5:12pm On Sep 23, 2021
macof:
You can feel his pains in the realisation that the warri kingdom once used a Yoruba crown grin
I swear.

Very apparent he couldn’t veil it. grin

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by sylve11: 6:00pm On Sep 23, 2021
AreaFada2:

I have seen many mumu Yoruba people arguing here over the years but yours takes the biscuit.

grin grin cool
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 6:05pm On Sep 23, 2021
macof:

This is despite the fact that the new Olu told your Ooni and the entire world the history of the Warri crown in his widely televised coronation speech. According to the new Olu, the Warri monarchy have used three crowns since inception.

1. The first was brought from Benin by Ginuwa, a Benin prince who is the ancestors of Warri monarchs

2. Silver crown imported from Portugal around the 1700s, this was the one that was stolen recently.

3. The current golden crown used in this year's coronation after the silver crown was stolen.

There is no reference to Yoruba crown in the history of Warri crowns as narrated by the new Olu.

If you guys can lie about what was recently narrated by the new Olu in just few weeks back, I only pity anyone that believe your stories.

The coronation speech is all over the internet, go and watch and listen to it on YouTube and stop making fool of yourselves on Nairaland.

Rather it's me that feels your pains, you guys tried claiming Benin, the Oba deny being Yoruba, you tried claiming Itsekiri, the Olu denied being Yoruba, insisting his ancestors are Benin, Oba of Lagos claims Benin ancestry.

What is left for you guys?

Maybe it's time, you start telling us about Ijebu, Oyo, Ekiti and other Yoruba clans history instead of trying to steal what are not yours, stop claiming other people's greatness and tell us about your own history devoid of old Benin empire.

Don't Yoruba have history devoid of Benin? Don't be ashamed, there are those here that enjoy fairytales which Yoruba history are mostly about.

3 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by macof(m): 7:27pm On Sep 23, 2021
samuk:

This is despite the fact that the new Olu told your Ooni and the entire world the history of the Warri crown in his widely televised coronation speech. According to the new Olu, the Warri monarchy have used three crowns since inception.

1. The first was brought from Benin by Ginuwa, a Benin prince who is the ancestors of Warri monarchs

2. Silver crown imported from Portugal around the 1700s, this was the one that was stolen recently.

3. The current golden crown used in this year's coronation after the silver crown was stolen.

There is no reference to Yoruba crown in the history of Warri crowns as narrated by the new Olu.

If you guys can lie about what was recently narrated by the new Olu in just few weeks back, I only pity anyone that believe your stories.

The coronation speech is all over the internet, go and watch and listen to it on YouTube and stop making fool of yourselves on Nairaland.

Rather it's me that feels your pains, you guys tried claiming Benin, the Oba deny being Yoruba, you tried claiming Itsekiri, the Olu denied being Yoruba, insisting his ancestors are Benin, Oba of Lagos claims Benin ancestry.

What is left for you guys?

Maybe it's time, you start telling us about Ijebu, Oyo, Ekiti and other Yoruba clans history instead of trying to steal what are not yours, stop claiming other people's greatness and tell us about your own history devoid of old Benin empire.

Don't Yoruba have history devoid of Benin? Don't be ashamed, there are those here that enjoy fairytales which Yoruba history are mostly about.

Below is an eye witness account as shared by your Lord and Master Tao
Shey you are always asking for EuRoPeaN EyewiTnEss aCcoUnt

TAO11:

Send your grievances to the proper chanel grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 10:01pm On Sep 23, 2021
macof:

Below is an eye witness account as shared by your Lord and Master Tao
Shey you are always asking for EuRoPeaN EyewiTnEss aCcoUnt

Send your grievances to the proper chanel grin

The eyewitness account didn't say the crown was of Yoruba origin. If you are not slow, you would have noticed that TAO11 is the one that concluded that the crown was of Yoruba origin. Guy you are not very smart, I must admit.

An Itsekiri prince was taken through hell that he eventually shed tears during his coronation just because he was unfortunate to have been born by a Yoruba woman, yet you guys are shamelessly claiming Itsekiri monarchy. Do you guys even know the meaning of shame.

The Itsekiri royalty was so protective of their heritage that they enacted a law banning any prince whose mother is not Itsekiri or of Edo origin from becoming an Olu, the current Olu almost lost the throne because his mother is Yoruba, yet you guys are still claiming Itsekiri monarchy as Yoruba.

You claim Oba of Benin to be Yoruba yet you can't point to any Oba of Benin with a Yoruba name.

You claim that the official language of the Benin Palace was Yoruba, yet you can't name any Benin prince or princess in history with a Yoruba name.

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by macof(m): 10:12pm On Sep 23, 2021
samuk:

The eyewitness account didn't say the crown was of Yoruba origin. If you are not slow, you would have noticed that TAO11 is the one that concluded that the crown was of Yoruba origin. Guy you are not very smart, I must admit.

An Itsekiri prince was taken through hell that he eventually shed tears during his coronation just because he was unfortunate to have been born by a Yoruba woman, yet you guys are shamelessly claiming Itsekiri monarchy. Do you guys even know the meaning of shame.

The Itsekiri royalty was so protective of their heritage that they enacted a law banning any prince whose mother is not Itsekiri or of Edo origin from becoming an Olu, the current Olu almost lost the throne because his mother is Yoruba, yet you guys are still claiming Itsekiri monarchy as Yoruba.

grin grin
Does this match the description or not?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/14263895_3a9b4cf8dca942e5a0762f5c302a0601_jpeg_jpegdb4fa1f0bb8140b17bd29663de4838c6

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 10:15pm On Sep 23, 2021
macof:

grin grin
Does this match the description or not?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/14263895_3a9b4cf8dca942e5a0762f5c302a0601_jpeg_jpegdb4fa1f0bb8140b17bd29663de4838c6

The same way you guys said East match the description of West grin

You guys are more than comedians, you are trying your hands on magic by trying to convert East to West. Anybody that can claim a location East is now West are capable of any lies and shouldn't be taken seriously.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by macof(m): 10:47pm On Sep 23, 2021
samuk:

The same way you guys said East match the description of West grin

You guys are more than comedians, you are trying your hands on magic by trying to convert East to West. Anybody that can claim a location East is now West are capable of any lies and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Case closed then grin
We all know what the answer to my question is

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 11:02pm On Sep 23, 2021
macof:
Case closed then grin
We all know what the answer to my question is

My heart goes out to the poor Benin boy. cheesy

—————
More PTSD For Him:

An example of an Ade-Nla is attached below. In other words, the first crown of the Itsekiri nation is a Yoruba Ade-Nla crown.

In sum, the Benin palace (from where Ginuwa left for Ode-Itsekiri) derived the aforementioned crown from Yorubaland — Ile-Ife to be precise.

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 8:03am On Sep 24, 2021
TAO11:

My heart goes out to the poor Benin boy. cheesy

—————
More PTSD For Him:

An example of an Ade-Nla is attached below. In other words, the first crown of the Itsekiri nation is a Yoruba Ade-Nla crown.

In sum, the Benin palace (from where Ginuwa left for Ode-Itsekiri) derived the aforementioned crown from Yorubaland — Ile-Ife to be precise.

The Yoruba are the ones that copied from the old Benin empire. The Itsekiri monarchy whose eyewitness historical accounts is older than both Ife and Oyo historical eyewitness accounts couldn't have copied from Yoruba.

Itsekiri eyewitness historical accounts is older than Ife and Oyo eyewitness historical accounts.

Show us Oyo and Ife eyewitness historical accounts dating to this period of 1817 you cited.

The Yoruba copy and try to steal what they copied as theirs. Show us Oyo and Ife eyewitness historical accounts older than that of Itsekiri Benin dynasty ascribing the described crown to Yoruba.

You copied from both Benin and Itsekiri that are much older than you, over 400 years eyewitness historical evidence older than Yoruba and then turn around to say your elders copied from you.

Show us Ife and Oyo eyewitness historical evidence earlier than 1824. 1824 is when Oyo and Ife eyewitness historical accounts began. It's always important to put these dates out to inform the less informed you guys are trying to deceive.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 8:16am On Sep 24, 2021
Yoruba eyewitness historical accounts began in 1824.

Benin and Itsekiri eyewitness historical accounts dates back to the 1400s

There is over 400 years gap between Benin/Itsekiri and Oyo/Ife history. Benin/Itsekiri eyewitness historical evidence is 400 years older than Oyo/Ife eyewitness historical evidence.

People whose history and influence is 400 years older than yours couldn't have copied from you. It's you that copied from your much older kingdoms and try to dubiously reverse the history in your favour.

Unfortunately, no matter how hard Yoruba try to steal and reverse Benin history, they will never have the historical evidence to back up their lies.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 12:14pm On Sep 24, 2021
A Summary of Samuk’s Humiliation:

Me:
The attached is an example of a Yoruba crown — Ade-Nla.

Samuk:
Yes! But

Me:
But what? grin

Samuk:
I think what happened was that the crown attached is an example of an Edo crown.

So therefore, you Yorubas actually borrowed and stole that crown style from us Edos.

Me:
For real? grin Please tell me more tales. cheesy

To make life easy for you, please pick any Edoid area of your choice and show me an example of the use of such attached Ade-Nla crown there. LMAO. cheesy

Samuk:
[Scratches Head].

Me:
In that case, I will have to wait patiently for your next gymnastics. cheesy

Till then, my name remains TAO11, Your Lord & Your Master. cheesy grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 5:52pm On Sep 24, 2021
TAO11:

Me:

Samuk:
Yes! But

Me:
But what? grin

Samuk:
I think what happened was that the crown attached is an example of an Edo crown.

So therefore, you Yorubas actually borrowed and stole that crown style from us Edos.

Me:

To make life easy for you, please pick any Edoid area of your choice and show me an example of the use of such attached Ade-Nla crown there. LMAO. cheesy

Samuk:
[Scratches Head].

Me:

It's very satisfying to know that you and your fellow Yoruba revisionists are now caged and trapped within the period of the 1800s when your lies started.

Make any claim going forward and you will be requested for an eyewitness historical accounts to back up your claims. You know Yoruba eyewitness historical evidence doesn't go earlier than 1824.

1824 is when your eyewitness historical evidence began.

Benin will continue to be 400 years your senior in written history. No matter what you claim, you can't prove it earlier than 1824. 1824 is as far back Oyo/Ife eyewitness historical accounts goes. Benin goes back to the 1400s.

You can run along now and look for your mate to debate.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 6:16pm On Sep 24, 2021
cheesy

Cite a BeNiN eyewitness account from the 1400s. I am waiting. wink

grin

samuk:
[s]It's very satisfying to know that you and your fellow Yoruba revisionists are now caged and trapped within the period of the 1800s when your lies started.

Make any claim going forward and you will be requested for an eyewitness historical accounts to back up your claims. You know Yoruba eyewitness historical evidence doesn't go earlier than 1824.

1824 is when your eyewitness historical evidence began.

Benin will continue to be 400 years your senior in written history. No matter what you claim, you can't prove it earlier than 1824. 1824 is as far back Oyo/Ife eyewitness historical accounts goes. Benin goes back to the 1400s.

You can run along now and look for your mate to debate.[/s]

Below is the actual discourse anyways. Deal with it:

Me:

Samuk:
Yes! But

Me:
But what? grin

Samuk:

Me:

Samuk:
[Scratches Head].

Me:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 11:56pm On Sep 24, 2021
Another short story of Oduduwa coming from the middle east.

Yoruba should concentrate on their myths/fairytales and leave Benin who actually have real history alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttmujJ7P3I
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 12:46am On Sep 25, 2021
What a failed attempt at damage control. When a Bini gets humiliated in public, s(he) flees quietly to another subject only to revive more humiliation. grin

Your YouTube narrator [abi she be EUrOpEaN eYeWiT-nEsS AcCoUnT? cheesy grin ] states at time-stamp 0:09 that a certain Lamurudu is Oduduwa’s father.

Guess what samuk, the earliest written account of origin of the Binis [NOT your obas] says the Bini came from a place north of the Niger originally, and lived under a King Lamorodu. Lmao! cheesy grin

This is the earliest written traditions of origin of your daddies, collected from your daddies by a EuRoPeAn.
——————

As such, you should perhaps expend your energy on finding the origins of your daddies and mommies and why they were conquered & ruled by a supposed Arab king Lamorodu. Lmao!

Or you should focus on why and how Idubor (Esigie’s brother) uprooted palm trees with bare hands. I died.

Cc: macof

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 25, 2021
Mraphel:
These above questions comes to my mind about Edo state.

The Yorubas people are also native to Edo state like Esan, Afamai, Etc but why are edo people not giving Yoruba their deserved recognition in Edo state as a tribe in Edo state.

1. Many towns closed to Ore speaks the Yoruba language

2. Many towns in Akoko edo are yoruba migrants that settled in Edo state.

3. Many Yoruba kingship titles and chief titles in Edo state.

4. Many yoruba religions in Edo eg Ogun , Sango Oronmila, Ifa, Olokun , aiyelala etc

5. First oba of Bini (Yoruba) grandson of Oduduwa.

6. First onibilo of ibilo is Yoruba among others in Edo state

7. Many Edos bears Yoruba surnames

Then why are Edo people trying to put Yoruba at disadvantage in their Edo-state at all cost? These Edo yorubas are now afraid to bear Yoruba names because they will face discrimination of Jobs, tribe that will come with it...while the Edo people in Yoruba lands are not discriminated upon at all.
No 1) True but that doesn't make them Yoruba, Yoruba is a majority ethnic group hence the influence

No 2). False, they are actually originally Binis(by ancestors) but they speak the Yoruba language due to its population.

No 3) the Oba of Bini kingship title is actually originally a Bini kingship title that some Yoruba kings appropriated cos of Bini empire dominance in the past, in fact the oba of Lagos was a Bini man in the past, he then lost his identity and became Yoruba then the other Yoruba kings started claiming an "oba" title.

No 4) False The Ogun religion is a Bini religion. No bini traditionalist person worships any other god like the ones you listed apart from Ogun. None of those god's are worshipped in any part of Edo state including the 2 Yoruba speaking towns in the state

No 5). False

No 6). I don't know about that(no opinion or fact)

No 7). Falllllllssssssseee!!!!! No Edo or Bini person bears Yoruba surnames
Where are you getting this rubbish from?
You just make up things in your head

Tao11
Tao12
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Ayorichodua: 12:30pm On Sep 25, 2021
dangotesmummy:
They give Yorubas their due recognition, you just don't notice it.many families and households in Edo bear Yoruba surnames
. Yes because they are yorubas
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Ayorichodua: 12:31pm On Sep 25, 2021
Think4Myself:

No 1) True but that doesn't make them Yoruba, Yoruba is a majority ethnic group hence the influence

No 2). False, they are actually originally Binis(by ancestors) but they speak the Yoruba language due to its population.

No 3) the Oba of Bini kingship title is actually originally a Bini kingship title that some Yoruba kings appropriated cos of Bini empire dominance in the past, in fact the oba of Lagos was a Bini man in the past, he then lost his identity and became Yoruba then the other Yoruba kings started claiming an "oba" title.

No 4) False The Ogun religion is a Bini religion. No bini traditionalist person worships any other god like the ones you listed apart from Ogun. None of those god's are worshipped in any part of Edo state including the 2 Yoruba speaking towns in the state

No 5). False

No 6). I don't know about that(no opinion or fact)

No 7). Falllllllssssssseee!!!!! No Edo or Bini person bears Yoruba surnames
Where are you getting this rubbish from?
You just make up things in your head

Tao11
Tao12
oba of Benin is a Yoruba man

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by BornRicch(m): 12:36pm On Sep 25, 2021
Ayorichodua:
Fool get a job. Benin or Yoruba would not put food on your table. Afonja back stabber.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Ayorichodua: 12:58pm On Sep 25, 2021
AreaFada2:

Lol. Do you know people have spent decades of research doing research into these things?
The languages are not even similar.
Whereas nobody needs to tell you that Igbira and Yoruba are similar or that Benin and Urhobo or Degema are very close.

Again educate yourself properly. It's not my argument. It's convergence of local history, poetry and modern scientific research. Lmao oduduwa as a name sound like Benin name? �� Benin remains Yoruba colony because the king there is from Ile ife and you all use oba not your former ogiso or is oba not Yoruba language? Oba ba Lori ohun gbogbo if you understand Yoruba you will know

As we already know our SW people think they have monopoly of cleverness. Anyone not doing their bidding is stupid. Only tribal supremacy is important. Truth has no meaning. Even SW people bold enough to be objective are called "omale".

Oduduwa was an exiled Benin Prince. He didn't didn't descend from any bloody mountain, from any chain from heaven or magically wander across any God-forsaken Sahara desert from Israel or Arabia. The versions are so many that you should be ashamed telling your kids such humbug.

Quite pathetic for people who revel in and boast about being educated. grin cheesy
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 1:45pm On Sep 25, 2021
Ayorichodua:
Everyone knows this.

6 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 25, 2021
Ayorichodua:
Wrong, oba of Lagos is a Bini man

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by macof(m): 4:29pm On Sep 25, 2021
Think4Myself:

Wrong, oba of Lagos is a Bini man

Lol.
Oba of Lagos is descended from Ologun Kutere, who's father was from Ìjẹ̀ṣà and mother was the Princess Erelu.
Erelu's father was Ado, her mother from ibefun
Ado's father Ashipa, an awori from Iṣẹri.. It was his mother who was a Benin princess.

Following this genealogy, I don't know how the obas of Lagos of the Ologun Kutere Dynasty are Bini o cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Oghodua: 5:04pm On Sep 25, 2021
Ayorichodua:
The Oba of Benin is a pure Edo man from Oza

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by TAO11(f): 6:44pm On Sep 25, 2021
Ayorichodua:
This is well known.

Nothing but the truth.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

EndSARS : Oba Rilwan akinolu Returns To Palace Two Months After Mob Invasion / A Photographic Tour Of Southwest Nigerian Peoples / Half-Unclad Gbagyi Men At Gbagyi Festival In Abuja (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.