Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,967 members, 7,799,290 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? (937 Views)

Why Harden Your Heart? / Today If You Hear His Voice Harden Not Your Heart / Why Did "GOD" Allow The Holocaust To Occur (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by ibinaboonline: 1:22pm On Mar 01, 2020
If God Wanted Pharaoh To Repent, Why Did He Harden Pharaoh's Heart?

Why did God harden Pharaoh's heart?

About two weeks ago as I write this, I read a thread posted here on Nairaland forum with the title; ‘Why Did God Send an evil spirit To Torment Saul?’ scrolling down the comment section of the thread someone wrote; ‘The better question is why did God harden Pharaoh’s heart?’ While I have written and published a response to the first question, I’ll like address the second one.

I do understand how the Bible’s account of God hardening Pharaoh’s heart would be confusing. In fact, this particular story is a favourite for Bible sceptics always looking to discredit the sacred texts of the Holy Scriptures. You could read Pharaoh’s story in the Bible book of Exodus 5-12. The account is about an Egyptian ruler who enslaved the Hebrew tribes living in Egypt and subjected the people to a life of hard labour, extreme maltreatment, and slavery.

It got to a point where the God of Israel raised a prophet- Moses- to lead the Israelites out of captivity in Egypt to a land of their own. Then God sent Moses to request peaceful passage of the Hebrews out of Egypt from Pharaoh the Egyptian ruler. Not surprising, Pharaoh turned down this request even though Moses explained that the request was on the orders of the Hebrew God. In fact, Pharaoh retorted that he knew no such God and was not liable to listen to Him.

Exodus 5:2

Pharaoh said, "Who is the Lord, that I should obey him and let Israel go? I do not know the Lord and I will not let Israel go." NIV

You see, a remark like that from a powerful king like Pharaoh hardly goes without an answer from the King of kings. It is important to understand that God had been aware of Israel’s sufferings and the harsh treatments meted out to them in Egypt for many years under the rulership of a pharaoh who neither feared God nor cared about the anguish of the Hebrews. Pharaoh and the Egyptian government had ample time to reconsider their treatment of the Israelites but they didn’t nor showed any signs of reducing the sufferings of their subjects.

Eventually at the fullness of time, Pharaoh’s cup was full. Why did God harden Pharaoh’s heart so that none of the miraculous signs he saw could change his mind? God hardened his heart because his cup was already full. Pharaoh had already been sentenced, do you understand? You see, when you hear people say ‘it’s never too late,’ don’t believe it! Did not the Bible say,

Ecclesiastes 12:4

Remember him (God) before the door to life's opportunities is closed and the sound of work fades. Now you rise at the first chirping of the birds, but then all their sounds will grow faint.

Contrary to what many people think, the door to life can be shut even before physical death occurs; it can be too late. Pharaoh had more than enough time to relieve the Hebrew tribes of their heavy burdens but he chose not to do so even though his predecessor treated the Hebrews with remarkable kindness. Pharaoh had a final chance to show some respect to God the first time Moses came to him to request the release of the Hebrews, but Pharaoh not only insulted God but proceeded to double the sufferings of the Israelites.

So the door of escape was shut to Pharaoh because his cup had filled. Yes this is a reality; cups fill! The miraculous displays that followed in Pharaoh’s presence in Egypt was God’s way of demonstrating his power and righteousness not only for the people of that time but also for future generations.

Consider the sons of Eli. Eli was a priest but his sons were scoundrels who degraded and disparaged the worship of God and even seduced the temple servant girls. The Bible says;

1 Samuel 2:22-25

Now Eli was very old, but he was aware of what his sons were doing to the people of Israel. He knew, for instance, that his sons were seducing the young women who assisted at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Eli said to them, "I have been hearing reports from all the people about the wicked things you are doing. Why do you keep sinning? You must stop, my sons! The reports I hear among the Lord's people are not good. If someone sins against another person, God can mediate for the guilty party. But if someone sins against the Lord, who can intercede?" But Eli's sons wouldn't listen to their father, for the Lord was already planning to put them to death.

The Message Bible Translation of verse 25 reads,

But they were far gone in disobedience and refused to listen to a thing their father said. So God, who was fed up with them, decreed their death.

This account of the Bible is as serious as it is revealing. Eli knew what his children were doing but he did not put much effort in forbidding them because he himself got fat from the proceeds of their crimes against God. The Bible says that the boys did not listen to their father’s corrections and God was fed up- their cups were filled to the brim. It was too late for repentance. They were still alive but God had ‘closed their books.’ It is written,

Galatians 6:7

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked.

With Pharaoh, God did not harden the heart of a man who had a chance of repentance. The miracles Moses performed in Egypt may have scared Pharaoh enough to cave in and release the Hebrews but it wouldn’t have changed his heart. When you have a chance to do the right thing; don’t harden your heart. Your conscience is a testimony that the door is still open to you, but the door won’t be permanently open, and conscience may die. If you harden your heart, a time may come when it will be too late.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by xcabczyxabczzzz: 1:24pm On Mar 01, 2020
Because he is petty a character.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by Eviana(f): 1:34pm On Mar 01, 2020
Very well written....people misunderstand "the hardened" part.
Pharoah hardened his own heart...through his repeated defiance/failure to repent from repeated warnings/signs from God through Moses.
His cup finally filled up and his choice had been sealed.
People always have a "choice", but there is a "cut-off" time...of which we do not know.
Reminds me of King Saul.....

Hebrews 3:15 (KJV)

15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 01, 2020
Hardening here refers to speak without using force. If a man (not manly enough to beat you) should walk up to you and demand for your salary, would you easily give it away? But what if he THREATENED your existence with a gun, how difficult will it be for you to surrender?
That statement simply means God used Moses who seems powerless, harmless and old to speak on his behalf, and there is no threat to Pharaoh's very existence. But when his son (heir to his throne) died, Pharaoh realized that it costs this very person Moses is talking about to kill him if this so called God could come into his own palace to kill his heir!
He later decided to go on a suicide mission seeing that his nation has been devastated completely to the extent that the Israelites aren't just leaving but GOING AWAY WITH 90% OF WHAT REMAINS AS WEALTH IN EGYPT!
The plagues destroyed so many things in Egypt while the Israelites felt safe and secure in Goshen, now they're leaving and taking away 90% of the GOLD in Egypt!
Pharaoh decided to die with them! cry cry cry
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by MuttleyLaff: 4:08pm On Mar 01, 2020
ibinaboonline:
If God Wanted Pharaoh To Repent, Why Did He Harden Pharaoh's Heart?
Why did God harden Pharaoh's heart?

About two weeks ago as I write this, I read a thread posted here on Nairaland forum with the title; ‘Why Did God Send an evil spirit To Torment Saul?’ scrolling down the comment section of the thread someone wrote; ‘The better question is why did God harden Pharaoh’s heart?’ While I have written and published a response to the first question, I’ll like address the second one.

I do understand how the Bible’s account of God hardening Pharaoh’s heart would be confusing. In fact, this particular story is a favourite for Bible sceptics always looking to discredit the sacred texts of the Holy Scriptures. You could read Pharaoh’s story in the Bible book of Exodus 5-12. The account is about an Egyptian ruler who enslaved the Hebrew tribes living in Egypt and subjected the people to a life of hard labour, extreme maltreatment, and slavery.

It got to a point where the God of Israel raised a prophet- Moses- to lead the Israelites out of captivity in Egypt to a land of their own. Then God sent Moses to request peaceful passage of the Hebrews out of Egypt from Pharaoh the Egyptian ruler. Not surprising, Pharaoh turned down this request even though Moses explained that the request was on the orders of the Hebrew God. In fact, Pharaoh retorted that he knew no such God and was not liable to listen to Him.

Exodus 5:2
"Pharaoh said, "Who is the Lord, that I should obey him and let Israel go? I do not know the Lord and I will not let Israel go."" NIV

You see, a remark like that from a powerful king like Pharaoh hardly goes without an answer from the King of kings. It is important to understand that God had been aware of Israel’s sufferings and the harsh treatments meted out to them in Egypt for many years under the rulership of a pharaoh who neither feared God nor cared about the anguish of the Hebrews. Pharaoh and the Egyptian government had ample time to reconsider their treatment of the Israelites but they didn’t nor showed any signs of reducing the sufferings of their subjects.

Eventually at the fullness of time, Pharaoh’s cup was full. Why did God harden Pharaoh’s heart so that none of the miraculous signs he saw could change his mind? God hardened his heart because his cup was already full. Pharaoh had already been sentenced, do you understand? You see, when you hear people say ‘it’s never too late,’ don’t believe it! Did not the Bible say,

Ecclesiastes 12:4
"Remember him (God) before the door to life's opportunities is closed and the sound of work fades. Now you rise at the first chirping of the birds, but then all their sounds will grow faint."

Contrary to what many people think, the door to life can be shut even before physical death occurs; it can be too late. Pharaoh had more than enough time to relieve the Hebrew tribes of their heavy burdens but he chose not to do so even though his predecessor treated the Hebrews with remarkable kindness. Pharaoh had a final chance to show some respect to God the first time Moses came to him to request the release of the Hebrews, but Pharaoh not only insulted God but proceeded to double the sufferings of the Israelites.

So the door of escape was shut to Pharaoh because his cup had filled. Yes this is a reality; cups fill! The miraculous displays that followed in Pharaoh’s presence in Egypt was God’s way of demonstrating his power and righteousness not only for the people of that time but also for future generations.

Consider the sons of Eli. Eli was a priest but his sons were scoundrels who degraded and disparaged the worship of God and even seduced the temple servant girls. The Bible says;

1 Samuel 2:22-25
"Now Eli was very old, but he was aware of what his sons were doing to the people of Israel. He knew, for instance, that his sons were seducing the young women who assisted at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Eli said to them, "I have been hearing reports from all the people about the wicked things you are doing. Why do you keep sinning? You must stop, my sons! The reports I hear among the Lord's people are not good. If someone sins against another person, God can mediate for the guilty party. But if someone sins against the Lord, who can intercede?" But Eli's sons wouldn't listen to their father, for the Lord was already planning to put them to death."

The Message Bible Translation of verse 25 reads,
"But they were far gone in disobedience and refused to listen to a thing their father said. So God, who was fed up with them, decreed their death."

This account of the Bible is as serious as it is revealing. Eli knew what his children were doing but he did not put much effort in forbidding them because he himself got fat from the proceeds of their crimes against God. The Bible says that the boys did not listen to their father’s corrections and God was fed up- their cups were filled to the brim. It was too late for repentance. They were still alive but God had ‘closed their books.’ It is written,

Galatians 6:7
"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked."

With Pharaoh, God did not harden the heart of a man who had a chance of repentance. The miracles Moses performed in Egypt may have scared Pharaoh enough to cave in and release the Hebrews but it wouldn’t have changed his heart. When you have a chance to do the right thing; don’t harden your heart. Your conscience is a testimony that the door is still open to you, but the door won’t be permanently open, and conscience may die. If you harden your heart, a time may come when it will be too late.

MuttleyLaff:
God did not, per se, harden Pharaoh's heart, Pharaoh, was rearing to harden his heart but couldnt because God's Hand was on it.

The moment God lifted away His hand, Pharaoh let hell loose. God doesnt do bad evil, no bad evil is in God. David too counted, on his own accord and following his impulse, not that God moved him to count. God allowed him to carry out what he had decided in his heart to do.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by MuttleyLaff: 4:10pm On Mar 01, 2020
xcabczyxabczzzz:
Because he is petty a character.
Well something like that

Eviana:

Pharoah hardened his own heart...through his repeated defiance/failure to repent from repeated warnings/signs from God through Moses.
People always have a "choice", but there is a "cut-off" time...of which we do not know.

15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation
"But when his heart became arrogant and his spirit was hardened with pride,
he was deposed from his royal throne, and his glory was taken from him.
"
- Daniel 5:20

Reminds me of King Belshazzar, in Daniel 5:20 above, who too became so conceited that he became mouthy, just as like Pharaoh
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by MuttleyLaff: 4:14pm On Mar 01, 2020
TATIME:
Hardening here refers to speak without using force. If a man (not manly enough to beat you) should walk up to you and demand for your salary, would you easily give it away? But what if he THREATENED your existence with a gun, how difficult will it be for you to surrender?

That statement simply means God used Moses who seems powerless, harmless and old to speak on his behalf, and there is no threat to Pharaoh's very existence. But when his son (heir to his throne) died, Pharaoh realized that it costs this very person Moses is talking about to kill him if this so called God could come into his own palace to kill his heir!

He later decided to go on a suicide mission seeing that his nation has been devastated completely to the extent that the Israelites aren't just leaving but GOING AWAY WITH 90% OF WHAT REMAINS AS WEALTH IN EGYPT!
The plagues destroyed so many things in Egypt while the Israelites felt safe and secure in Goshen, now they're leaving and taking away 90% of the GOLD in Egypt!
Pharaoh decided to die with them! cry cry cry
[img]https://s5/images/ezgif-1-484fe370c498.gif[/img]

MuttleyLaff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWAUhadJzTk

The access to have Jesus Christ represent you, is the right to free legal aid, you share of with every other human being. It doesnt matter how unpopular, nasty or horrible a person you are, if you believe in Jesus Christ and want Him, anytime, in your life, before or after death, to take your case, He will, He will take your case as an Advocate, Defense Attorney, Defence Counsel, Lawyer, Solicitor or Barrister and win it for you. Instead of you representing and defending yourself, it is Jesus Christ who this way comes to your aid and brings His expertise to the task.

Read earlier post above yours and even read further on below Original.kalokalo for more. The chance is still there after death and there is a good reason for the provision and just set up

The YouTube video is flawed on many fronts and is riddled with false and inaccurate information, especially and deliberately intended to mislead with. There are more holes than Swiss cheese in the warped YouTube video

The word Jesse and name Jesus Christ is an anathema for the Mr Smith and Mr Clark of this world, so his nature will never let Mr Smith accept Jesse as a Counsel to represent and defend him. This Jesus Christ deep-seated feeling of aversion is applicable to the frosbel.2, D.antedasz etcetera of this world declining the free legal aid service of Jesus Christ.

The fact and truth of the matter, is that Jesus Christ depicted as Jesse, in that YouTube video, already 2000 years old, was wounded for human beings' iniquities, He was bruised for human beings' sins, endured punishment that made human beings well and because of his wounds human beings have been healed, there is no need for Jesse to be punished again for Mr Smith and Mr Clark, all that Mr Smith and Mr Clark needed to do is to accept Jesus Christ, confess Him with their mouth and believe in heart, but do you really think that will happen huh? Hell will have to freeze first before any chance of that could be considered it will happen

Even at crunch down, like in a court room, as depicted in that YouTube video, you can tell a lot about a person's character from how they act when the chips are down.

Case in point, because of Mr Smith's and Mr Clark's chronic and hardened nature, they will rather go to the dark abyss, than lose face by accepting Jesus Christ as Saviour and personally acknowledging Him and having Jesus Christ as a Counsel to represent them. Notice in the YouTube video that Mr Smith and Mr Clark represented themselves. Need I go on? Need I say more?
There is a local parlance in vernacular that says: "Ọgẹdẹ fẹ bajẹ, a nsọpe o npọn" loosely translate, "the plantain is not staying fresh, wants to go brown and bad, but in denial, we're saying its ripening, lol" Pharaoh, just like a bunch of bananas, wanted to go bad. He had his way and wish, when God let go His hand on his heart. God never directly hardened Pharaoh's heart.

Pharaoh true to his nature and character, by his own, self hardened his own heart. God just stepped aside for him to do just that after so many restraints, so many miracles etcetera and to no avail, lol
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by Acehart: 4:51pm On Mar 01, 2020
Eviana:

You said: people misunderstand the “hardened part”. With your explanation, I think many more people will continue to misunderstand because the scriptures says God hardened Pharoah’s heart but you have said Pharoah hardened his own heart - a contradiction.

When we look the scriptures we see that God is the sole source and instigator of repentance- He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy on. Didn’t we read that “the goodness of God leads to repentance”?Wasn’t Manneseh ‘more evil’ than Pharoah? yet God caused Him to repent.

The best way to explain “hardened” is to look at the interaction between fire and wax: The closer fire is to wax, the softer it gets; Jesus said, “… everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.” (John 3:20). Yes, many of us had experienced the truth in this verse in that when we have sinned, we avoided situations (e.g., not attending worship services and/or small group meetings) where we would be reminded of our broken fellowship with God. We avoided the light that would shine on our darkness. Yet God found a way to approach us in our “waxen” state and we repented - what goodness!

But when God withdraws His presence, it can be likened to when a kindled fire is put far from wax: the wax turns stiff and remains so. God intended to save Pharoah through the messages of His prophets; and signs and wonders, but He rejected God - he hated the light so that his wickedness would not be exposed. For this, the psalmist said: But as for me, the nearness of God is my good (Psalms 73:28) - this is our boast.

The last state of Pharoah’s heart (cruelty) is a reflection of what happens when God’s withdrawal from a nation or person is in effect (Isa. 54: 8 ). So God hardened (made cruel) Pharoah’s heart and not Pharoah hardened (made impregnable) his own heart, as you said. The scripture is not wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by MuttleyLaff: 6:43pm On Mar 01, 2020
Double post
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by MuttleyLaff: 6:44pm On Mar 01, 2020
Acehart:
You said: people misunderstand the “hardened part”. With your explanation, I think many more people will continue to misunderstand because the scriptures says God hardened Pharoah’s heart but you have said Pharoah hardened his own heart - a contradiction.
"Why harden your hearts as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened theirs?
When He afflicted them, did they not send the people on their way as they departed?
"
- 1 Samuel 6:6

Eviana, by saying Pharoah hardened his own heart is 10000% correct and no chance making a contradiction

Acehart:
When we look the scriptures we see that God is the sole source and instigator of repentance- He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy on. Didn’t we read that “the goodness of God leads to repentance”? Wasn’t Manneseh ‘more evil’ than Pharoah? yet God caused Him to repent.
Why are you comparing apples with oranges, hmm? Of course, Manasseh was just as badass as Pharaoh, if not more, but there was a beacon of light and/or ray of hope at the end of Manasseh's tunnel, unlike in Pharaoh's case, who was irredeemable and in collision course with the light in his tunnel that was that of a fast moving freight train

Acehart:
The best way to explain “hardened” is to look at the interaction between fire and wax: The closer fire is to wax, the softer it gets; Jesus said, “… everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.” (John 3:20). Yes, many of us had experienced the truth in this verse in that when we have sinned, we avoided situations (e.g., not attending worship services and/or small group meetings) where we would be reminded of our broken fellowship with God. We avoided the light that would shine on our darkness. Yet God found a way to approach us in our “waxen” state and we repented - what goodness!
Read the following next coming, as it gets the better of your best way to explain “hardened

Back in the day, talking of when being in dormitory at boarding school now, when two kids are raring to fight, usually a senior(s) or their mates will try to prevent them from having the fight and slugging it out. Sometimes, the senior(s) or their mates, will relent and give in because the boys are still doing "agidi and gra-gra" that they want to fight. When the principal finds out about the fight and then asks, who made them fight, the answer he usually gets is, it's the senior or the mates who did, and this because of the fact that the boys were been separated and blocked from fighting each other, but wouldn't have any of that, so the senior or their mates allowed the boys to start having the fight. So in a way, thats how it is concluded that the senior and/or their mates allowed and made the boys fight, although they, the boys in actual sense were raring to fight initially/fight as well and so to an extent were impossible to stop or prevent from having the fight.

It is similar with Pharaoh and God, just like the boys' seniors and room mates didnt per se make the boys fight, but just stepped back or aside for them to go ahead fighting, so God didnt directly harden Pharaoh's heart.

Acehart:
But when God withdraws His presence, it can be likened to when a kindled fire is put far from wax: the wax turns stiff and remains so. God intended to save Pharoah through the messages of His prophets; and signs and wonders, but He rejected God - he hated the light so that his wickedness would not be exposed. For this, the psalmist said: But as for me, the nearness of God is my good (Psalms 73:28) - this is our boast.

Pharoah’s heart is an reflection of what happens when God’s rejection of a nation or person is in effect (Isa. 54: 8 ). So God hardened Pharoah’s heart and not Pharoah hardened his own heart, as you said; the scripture is not wrong.
Pharaoh's heart with God's Hand on it, was like a sponge saturated with water (i.e. word of God) and so prevented from drying out and hardening, but the moment God withdrew His restraining Hand on Pharaoh's heart, Pharaoh had the freedom to do as he wish in his heart. That is how God indirectly hardened Pharaoh's heart.

We see divine hardening, as in meaning God letting Pharaoh have his way and self hardening, as in meaning, Pharaoh had his wish and way comes into play.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by Acehart: 7:07pm On Mar 01, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
When He afflicted them, did they not send the people on their way as they departed?
"

Eviana, by saying Pharoah hardened his own heart is 10000% correct and no chance making a contradiction

Why are you comparing apples with oranges, hmm? Of course, Manasseh was just as badass as Pharaoh, if not more, but there was a beacon of light and/or ray of hope at the end of Manasseh's tunnel, unlike in Pharaoh's case, who was irredeemable and in collision course with the light in his tunnel that was that of a fast moving freight train

Read the following next coming, as it gets the better of your best way to explain “hardened

Back in the day, talking of when being in dormitory at boarding school now, when two kids are raring to fight, usually a senior(s) or their mates will try to prevent them from having the fight and slugging it out. Sometimes, the senior(s) or their mates, will relent and give in because the boys are still doing "agidi and gra-gra" that they want to fight. When the principal finds out about the fight and then asks, who made them fight, the answer he usually gets is, it's the senior or the mates who did, and this because of the fact that the boys were been separated and blocked from fighting each other, but wouldn't have any of that, so the senior or their mates allowed the boys to start having the fight. So in a way, thats how it is concluded that the senior and/or their mates allowed and made the boys fight, although they, the boys in actual sense were raring to fight initially/fight as well and so to an extent were impossible to stop or prevent from having the fight.

It is similar with Pharaoh and God, just like the boys' seniors and room mates didnt per se make the boys fight, but just stepped back or aside for them to go ahead fighting, so God didnt directly harden Pharaoh's heart.

Pharaoh's heart with God's Hand on it, was like a sponge saturated with water (i.e. word of God) and so prevented for drying out and hardening, but the moment God withdrew His restraining Hand on Pharaoh's heart, Pharaoh had the freedom to do as he wish in his heart. That is how God indirectly hardened Pharaoh's heart.

We see divine hardening, as in meaning God letting Pharaoh have his way and self hardening, as in meaning, Pharaoh had his wish and way comes into play.

Hi,

On one hand you agree with me and on the other hand your disagree with me. Let’s look at the following verses:

Exo 7:3 And I   will harden   Pharaoh's   heart,   and multiply  my signs   and my wonders   in the land   of Egypt. 

Exo 7:13 And he hardened   Pharaoh's   heart,   that he hearkened   not   unto   them; as   the LORD  had said.

The word “harden“ in verse 3 translated as qâshâh is different in meaning from “harden” in verse 13 translated as châzaq. Your quote from 1st Samuel is synonymous with châzaq. If we stick with the meanings which I put in parentheses when quoting Ms.Eviana, we see two different things. Many times when we suggest that any writer in the Bible is in error (He should have written this instead of that) is an affront to the Spirit of Christ. The scriptures are inerrant. The writer wrote that God hardened Pharoah’s heart and that isn’t a mistake - that is the reason I quoted Ms. Eviana. The only question we are permitted to ask is: what did he mean?

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by sonmvayina(m): 7:47pm On Mar 01, 2020
Why do we dwell on the content of a story or the letters,.. Why do we try to inteprete the stories in the scriptures... You must always hit a brick wall.. "The letter killeth "
It is a spiritual journey not a literal one.. It is a journey from ignorance (slavery in Egypt) to enlightenment(promised land).. It is expected that at age 40 you should have arrived at your destination.. You should have realised that you are God in the flesh and anything is possible if you put your mind to it.. God hardening pharaoh heart simply means or symbolises our closed mindedness.. Not letting go of old habits... The battle is within.. God is consciousness.. Not a man or human being...
The final plague was killing of the first born son which simply means getting rid of childish thoughts and behaviours
We are not moving forward at all..

Concentrate on the message not the story, because the story is based on a lie, it is not factual
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by MuttleyLaff: 8:17pm On Mar 01, 2020
Acehart:
Hi,

On one hand you agree with me and on the other hand your disagree with me. Let’s look at the following verses:

Exo 7:3 And I   will harden   Pharaoh's   heart,   and multiply  my signs   and my wonders   in the land   of Egypt. 

Exo 7:13 And he hardened   Pharaoh's   heart,   that he hearkened   not   unto   them; as   the LORD  had said.

The word “harden“ in verse 3 translated as qâshâh is different in meaning from “harden” in verse 13 translated as châzaq. Your quote from 1st Samuel is synonymous with châzaq.
[img]https://s3/images/ObamaMuttley.gif[/img]
So what if its synonymous.

Forget whatever 1st Samuel it is that I quoted because the point of the quote, is about who directly is doing the hardening of hearts here. Have you at all, comparatively high and well enough, looked at Exodus 7:3 and 7:13, huh? In the context of Exodus 7:3 and 7:13, do you really at all, understand the distinction between "qashah" and "chazaq"?

Fyi, 1 Samuel 6:6, echoes Exodus 7:13, they, the Israelites, just like Pharaoh, by their own accord, stiffened (i.e. "chazaq'') their hearts. God did not stiff it for them. God paved the way for "chazaq'' to happen, the moment He permitted "qashah" by withdrawing His restraining Hand on their hearts. He didnt directly do any "qashah" nor personally do any "chazaq'' either.

Acehart:
If we stick with the meanings which I put in parentheses when quoting Eviana; they are two different things. Many times when we suggest that any writer in the Bible is in error (He should have written this instead of that) is an affront to the Spirit of Christ. The scriptures are inerrant.
Brother, did you think I havent envisaged you will try to bring up verses like Exodus 4:21, 7:3, 7:13, 9:12, 10:1, 10:20, 10:27, 11:10, 14:4, 14:8, hmm?

I repeat that, God indirectly hardened Pharaoh's heart and I already with the boarding school boys, have explained how this was done. Pharaoh was left to his own devices to do his worst. God, by implication of withdrawing His Hand on Pharaoh's heart hardened Pharaoh's heart. This is why I specified "divine hardening" coming into play when God stopped putting His restraining Hand on Pharaoh's heart that was preventing Pharaoh's heart from hardening up. The other one I specified was "self hardening" and this played out three times, as we see in Exodus. 8:15, 8:32 and 9:34

Brother, the scriptures are inerrant, doesnt mean translations are inerrant too, lol. Please dont tempt me to list a few blatant bible verses errors made by translators, lol.

Acehart:
The writer wrote that God hardened Pharoah’s heart and that isn’t a mistake. The only question we are permitted to ask is: what did he mean?
Smh, are you for real or you're just making this up as you go along, hmm? Where from and/or who told you that there is only one question we are permitted to ask and that is "what did he mean" Pftt.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by Acehart: 8:55pm On Mar 01, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
[img]https://s3/images/ObamaMuttley.gif[/img]
So what if its synonymous.

Forget whatever 1st Samuel it is that I quoted because the point of the quote, is about who directly is doing the hardening of hearts here. Have you at all, comparatively high and well enough, looked at Exodus 7:3 and 7:13, huh? In the context of Exodus 7:3 and 7:13, do you really at all, understand the distinction between "qashah" and "chazaq"?

Fyi, 1 Samuel 6:6, echoes Exodus 7:13, they, the Israelites, just like Pharaoh, by their own accord, stiffened (i.e. "chazaq'') their hearts. God did not stiff it for them. God paved the way for "chazaq'' to happen, the moment He permitted "qashah" by withdrawing His restraining Hand on their hearts. He didnt directly do any "qashah" nor personally do any "chazaq'' either.

Brother, did you think I havent envisaged you will try to bring up verses like Exodus 4:21, 7:3, 7:13, 9:12, 10:1, 10:20, 10:27, 11:10, 14:4, 14:8, hmm?

I repeat that, God indirectly hardened Pharaoh's heart and I already with the boarding school boys, have explained how this was done. Pharaoh was left to his own devices to do his worst. God, by implication of withdrawing His Hand on Pharaoh's heart hardened Pharaoh's heart. This is why I specified "divine hardening" coming into play when God stopped putting His restraining Hand on Pharaoh's heart that was preventing Pharaoh's heart from hardening up. The other one I specified was "self hardening" and this played out three times, as we see in Exodus. 8:15, 8:32 and 9:34

Brother, the scriptures are inerrant, doesnt mean translations are inerrant too, lol. Please dont tempt me to list a few blatant bible verses errors made by translators, lol.

Smh, are you for real or you're just making this up as you go along, hmm? Where from and/or who told you that there is only one question we are permitted to ask and that is "what did he mean" Pftt.

Okay
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by MrPresident1: 8:56pm On Mar 01, 2020
Egypt was the son of perdition of that time, and Pharaoh was the head
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by Eviana(f): 1:28am On Mar 02, 2020
Acehart:

When we look the scriptures we see that God is the sole source and instigator of repentance- He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy on. Didn’t we read that “the goodness of God leads to repentance”?Wasn’t Manneseh ‘more evil’ than Pharoah? yet God caused Him to repent.

The last state of Pharoah’s heart (cruelty) is a reflection of what happens when God’s withdrawal from a nation or person is in effect (Isa. 54: 8 ). So God hardened (made cruel) Pharoah’s heart and not Pharoah hardened (made impregnable) his own heart, as you said. The scripture is not wrong.

Hi,
I appreciate your detailed explanation.
I think I understand what you were trying to say.
I agree with most of it.
I just wanted to get the point across that Pharoah made a choice to reject God.
It's dangerous to say that God "hardened" one's heart, (although the verse literally says that in the KJV ), because that would imply that "free-will" was not even offered.
That would go against God's character of being a God of mercy, impartiality and justice.
Yes, He decides who He will have mercy on...however I would not compare that to someone choosing to surrender his/her life to Christ. Mercy encompasses a whole lot of things..outside of salvation in my opinion.
The idea of God "hardening" one's heart against Himself is not plausible to me.
That would be delving into the dangerous and false Calvinistic view of pre-destination...where only a few "elect" are destined to be eternally saved and others are destined to be eternally condemned.
Sometimes, it's important to dig further for a meaning rather than take some phrases as "literal".

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by Eviana(f): 1:34am On Mar 02, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
"

E.viana, by saying Pharoah hardened his own heart is 10000% correct and no chance making a contradiction

[b]

Pharaoh's heart with God's Hand on it, was like a sponge saturated with water (i.e. word of God) and so prevented for drying out and hardening, but the moment God withdrew His restraining Hand on Pharaoh's heart, Pharaoh had the freedom to do as he wish in his heart. That is how God indirectly hardened Pharaoh's heart.

[/b]

I totally agree with your "school boys" illustration and overall response here.
Your last two paragraphs basically sum it up.

CORRECTION

Yep, you are also correct about
King Belshazzar...good example.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by Acehart: 1:58am On Mar 02, 2020
Eviana:

Hi,
I agree with most of it.
It's dangerous to say that God "hardened" one's heart, (although the verse literally says that in the KJV ), because that would imply that "free-will" was not even offered.
That would go against God's character of being a God of mercy, impartiality and justice.
Yes, He decides who He will have mercy on...however I would not compare that to someone choosing to surrender his/her life to Christ. Mercy encompasses a whole lot of things..outside of salvation in my opinion.
That would be delving into the dangerous and false Calvinistic view of pre-destination...where only a few "elect" are destined to be eternally saved and others are destined to be eternally condemned.
Sometimes, it's important to dig further for a meaning rather than take some phrases as "literal".

Good morning,

We see in the Book of Romans Paul’s expression: For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened; Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity. (Romans 1:21,24)

The tense in which the God’s sense of hardening is spoken about is the same sense as Paul’s explanation of God’s judicial action - sentencing them to the most extreme limit of the heart’s inclination against Him - judgement. Even in the original language, two words for “harden” are used; and that attributed to God agrees with Paul’s argument.

God gives the same benefit of grace to all but as the scriptures said: A man who hardens his neck after much reproof Will suddenly be broken beyond remedy (Proverbs 29:1). God reached His limit and judgment was pronounced.

(There is a limit to God’s reproof and Pharoah more than most got it in full measure - God did everything possible for his believing, but he resisted. God knows those who will believe Him but He will speak to all men about His righteousness nonetheless. God doesn’t tempt or influence any man to do evil.)
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by MuttleyLaff: 5:46am On Mar 02, 2020
Eviana:
I totally agree with your "school boys" illustration and overall response here.
Your last two paragraphs basically sum it up.
Yep, you are also correct about King Darius...good example.

MuttleyLaff:
Well something like that

"But when his heart became arrogant and his spirit was hardened with pride,
he was deposed from his royal throne, and his glory was taken from him.
"
- Daniel 5:20

Reminds me of King Belshazzar, in Daniel 5:20 above, who too became so conceited that he became mouthy, just as like Pharaoh
I never mentioned or used King Darius.

King Darius was about Daniel and the lions den but I know you meant King Belshazzar sha, lol
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by MuttleyLaff: 6:16am On Mar 02, 2020
Acehart:
Good morning,

We see in the Book of Romans Paul’s expression: For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened; Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity. (Romans 1:21,24)

The tense in which the God’s sense of hardening is spoken about is the same sense as Paul’s explanation of God’s judicial action - sentencing them to the most extreme limit of the heart’s inclination against Him - judgement. Even in the original language, two words for “harden” are used; and that attributed to God agrees with Paul’s argument.

God gives the same benefit of grace to all but as the scriptures said: A man who hardens his neck after much reproof Will suddenly be broken beyond remedy (Proverbs 29:1). God reached His limit and judgment was pronounced.

(There is a limit to God’s reproof and Pharoah more than most got it in full measure - God did everything possible for his believing, but he resisted. God knows those who will believe Him but He will speak to all men about His righteousness nonetheless. God doesn’t tempt or influence any man to do evil.)
"15By now I could have lifted my hand and struck you and your people with a plague to wipe you off the face of the earth.
16But I have spared you for a purpose—to show you my power and to spread my fame throughout the earth.
17But you still lord it over my people and refuse to let them go.
"
- Exodus 9:15-17

"So you see, God chooses to show mercy to some, and He chooses to harden the hearts of others so they refuse to listen."
- Romans 9:18

Good morning Acehart, lol, it seems you havent considered Apostle Paul's Romans 9 exegetical, the linchpin verses, by the way, are Romans 9:17-19, but with where, special focus can be centered on Romans 9:18, that's reproduced above.

Pharaoh and Egypt among a lot of other important things, like be a superpower incubation refuge for a building up nation of Israel, were deliberately and divinely selected for such a time as then, but this particular reigning Pharaoh in Exodus 9:15-17 above, lol, was specially selected and appointed by God because he naturally is going to, while under the right conditions, be susceptible to becoming stubborn and so lead to a hardening of his heart. God wasnt hardening any Pharaoh's heart that wasnt already raring in the first place to by itself and own accord harden up. Besides all that God was going to use the badass Pharaoh to shine.

Acehart, I am fairly sure, if you're going to be sincere and honest, you'll be the first to admit that, God doesnt directly hardened or directly darken people's heart. I am equally sure, you'll accept and agree that, it is a withdrawal of the presence of God that hardens or the absence of light of God that darkens up, and that when God withdraws His restraining Hand and/or illuminating and soothing Light, yawa go gas ooo, lol.

God hasnt a "His limit" to reach, God has no limit, lol, but God reaches your limit or God passes judgement when the limit of iniquity is reached or when sin like that of the Amorites, reaches its full measure. Pharaoh was committed to hardening his heart, and so God allowed him to, with His blessings, lol, be thrown out of His protection.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by Eviana(f): 8:35pm On Mar 02, 2020
Acehart:

Good morning,

Good evening (your time),
I can live with your explanation here.
I, think, essentially and based on this particular post, that we may be saying almost the same thing...ultimately.
The one thing I don't want to do is confuse folks further than they may already be in this section.

Thank you for your insight.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by Eviana(f): 8:43pm On Mar 02, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

I never mentioned or used King Darius.

King Darius was about Daniel and the lions den but I know you meant King Belshazzar sha, lol

Lol...oh I'm sorry.
I got that wrong.
Yes, I meant King Belshazzar...the king who ultimately chose worldly pleasure and pride over the Lord after having been repeatedly warned.
I've been studying in Daniel for a few weeks now and had just finished Daniel 6...the time when King Darius was reigning and Daniel was in old age and essentially got thrown into the lion's den as you stated.
So King Darius has been on my mind...but it was King Belshazzar's --King Nebuchadnezzar's grandson-- actions that mimicked Pharoah's as you rightly stated.
Wonder if there's something about being placed in such high positions of power that really poses a challenge for many people...?? Perhaps...
Thank you for the correction & understanding.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by ibinaboonline: 9:12am On Mar 03, 2020
At the end of the day, you don't have to cover up for God and He's not asking you to. Go back and read the story, it is very precise, God Himself said He will harden Pharaoh's heart and He did. Think about the implication of what you're saying about David. He wanted to count and God just 'allowed' him to? A man wanted to make a mistake and God just'encourages' him? Really?
MuttleyLaff:

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by ibinaboonline: 9:40am On Mar 03, 2020
I feel your feeling of danger o. But it is rather clear to me. God is rich in mercy but that mercy won't be available forever. That's biblical reality that I'm not making up. People will go to hell and that won't change the fact that God is merciful. God is not all mushy, He is fearful too. The journey to eternity begins from here. He said, 'I will harden his heart' but we try to explain it away because it scares us. This merciful God will say to people' away from me' and they will perish in hell because their time is up. That's what I'm trying to explain with this post: the time can be up even here on earth and the door will be shut.
Eviana:

Hi,
I agree with most of it.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? by MuttleyLaff: 10:13pm On Mar 03, 2020
ibinaboonline:
At the end of the day, you don't have to cover up for God and He's not asking you to.
What is there to cover, hmm ibinaboonline? It seems you have major problems with seeing others say things as it is and say it without mincing words. Why would I be covering up for Abba, my heavenly Father, hmm. Why would I even think of anythng like that, when its not an Adam and Eve, back in Eden thing going on, lol. Besides, I'll rather than cover up, prefer to be placed in the cleft of rock, and watch God replays back to back, lol.

ibinaboonline:
Go back and read the story, it is very precise, God Himself said He will harden Pharaoh's heart and He did.
Yes God will harden Pharaoh's heart, because Pharaoh was a willing and raring to go candidate in the heart hardening department. Pharaoh is like that one thing about to be barbecued that by itself with own hand picked up a keg of petrol and poured all its body.

ibinaboonline:
Think about the implication of what you're saying about David. He wanted to count and God just 'allowed' him to? A man wanted to make a mistake and God just'encourages' him? Really?
"6One day the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satana also came with them.
7the Lord asked, “Satan, where have you been?”
Satan replied, “I have been going all over the earth.”
8Then the Lord asked, “What do you think of my servant Job? No one on earth is like him—he is a truly good person, who respects me and refuses to do evil.”
9 “Why shouldn't he respect you?” Satan remarked.
10You are like a wall protecting not only him, but his entire family and all his property. You make him successful in whatever he does, and his flocks and herds are everywhere.
11Try taking away everything he owns, and he will curse you to your face.”
12The Lord replied, “All right, Satan, do what you want with anything that belongs to him, but don't harm Job.” Then Satan left.
"
-Job 1:6-12

"1On another day the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them to present himself before Him.
2and the Lord asked, “Satan, where have you been?”
Satan replied, “I have been going all over the earth.”
3Then the Lord asked, “What do you think of my servant Job? No one on earth is like him—he is a truly good person, who respects me and refuses to do evil. And he hasn't changed, even though you persuaded me to destroy him for no reason.”
4Satan answered, “There's no pain like your own. People will do anything to stay alive.
5Try striking Job's own body with pain, and he will curse you to your face.”
6All right!” the Lord replied. “Make Job suffer as much as you want, but just don't kill him.”
7Satan left and caused painful sores to break out all over Job's body—from head to toe
"
Job 2:1-7

Hmm, so you want to add "allow" to your already 99-plus problems you have a problem with, huh?

Do you know how birds beautifully fly or how fishes elegantly swim erhn? It is a rhetorical question, I wasnt expecting a response from you because I will tell you how birds beautifully fly or how fishes elegantly swim, lol. ibinaboonline it is by grace, it is because of grace that birds are able to beautifully fly or how fish are able to elegantly swim. It is by God's grace that birds are able to effortlessly fly and why fish are able to swim easily and well. Now watch this ibinaboonline, remove this grace, lol, and let's watch, wait and see whats to become of the se flying birds and swimming fishes, lol.

Of course, you can deny not feasting your eyes on Job 1:6-12 and Job 2:1-7 above, lol, so now please tell ibinaboonline, when God withdrew and stepped as a protective hedge to Job, what opportunity did this action let Satan do?

"20Then a spirit came forward, stood before the LORD, and said, ‘I will entice him.’ ‘By what means?’ asked the LORD.
21And he replied, ‘I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ ‘You will surely entice him and prevail,’ said the LORD. ‘Go and do it.’
"
- 2 Chronicles 18:20-21

ibinaboonline, in 2 Chronicles 18:21 above, did God allow or not allow the spirit to carry out the deception, hmm?

ibinaboonline:
I feel your feeling of danger o. But it is rather clear to me. God is rich in mercy but that mercy won't be available forever. That's biblical reality that I'm not making up. People will go to hell and that won't change the fact that God is merciful. God is not all mushy, He is fearful too. The journey to eternity begins from here.
"Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, He abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done."
- Romans 1:28

Romans 1:28 above, captures precisely Pharaoh's dramatic reversal of fortune.

ibinaboonline:
He said, 'I will harden his heart' but we try to explain it away because it scares us. This merciful God will say to people' away from me' and they will perish in hell because their time is up. That's what I'm trying to explain with this post: the time can be up even here on earth and the door will be shut.
"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."
- 2 Timothy 1:7

Speak for youself, if anything scares you, dont rope others in with you just like that

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Atheists, What Is Your View On Morality? / 9 Powerful Ways To Overcome The Activities Of Every Evil Monitoring Spirit / Is It Normal To Dream Everyday?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.