Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,103 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis (2826 Views)

Help! Am Having Erection For My Cousin Sis. How Do I Tell Her To Dress Decently / How Do I Stop My Lil Sis From Becoming/having Entitlement Mentality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by princemillla(m): 2:13pm On Mar 01, 2020
Good noon guys pls I need the right input. Pls kindly read carefully and let me know how to best attack the issue.

NB : ignore any form of typos as am tensed while writing this.

I have a Lil sis who got engaged Last year. ThO she was pregnant befor the engagement.

Things were rosy after the engagement but along the line the young guy died last year December (2019).
Befor the guy died the wife delivered a boy.
Just immediately after the guy was pronounced dead, the guys mother collected both the landed property and car key from my sis.

Now she wanted my sis to come drop off a boy of 5months plus every property in their apartment to her (the deceased mothers) place. She also want to pick everything in my sis shop.

How do one tackle this issue house pls.
Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by Odetokun3(m): 2:14pm On Mar 01, 2020
Human rights groups can help and there is a need to do a family meeting too
Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by LifeMapEmpire(f): 2:15pm On Mar 01, 2020
Tackle this issue with wisdom and tact!!! Most especially, your sister should be really prayerful.

3 Likes

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by daddytime(m): 2:19pm On Mar 01, 2020
Wow....

Tough one.

The guy's family is greedily/selfishly on a salvage mission. They might even accuse your sister of being behind their son's death.

Sadly, engagement doesn't equal marriage, I might be wrong though.

10 Likes

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by Ukodo1123: 2:19pm On Mar 01, 2020
Since they are not married this case is strong

2 Likes

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by babythug(f): 2:24pm On Mar 01, 2020
The elders of your family should engage with the late man’s family members.

The focal point of discussion should centre around welfare/upkeep for the baby. If the late man’s family do not accept to send or give a token towards the child’s care your family should dust themselves and face their front.

As to the property , everything that belonged to the man should be handed to his mum. As it is , she’s obviously a nut case and there’s no point joining issues with her.

Your sister and the child’s well being should be the most important now. Property can always be replaced

I doubt if there’s any legal covering as your sister was not his legal spouse per se!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by HarunaWest(m): 2:24pm On Mar 01, 2020
What your sister should fight for is the child not the property. They were engaged not married, so she had no right to his estate cos there's no legal document backing their relationship.
Try and secure the services of a competent lawyer or if that's too expensive, she should visit the LGA Secretariat where she resides, I think they always have a special welfare or family welfare department or the likes..They will hear her case and take the issue up.cheers

10 Likes

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by Nobody: 2:35pm On Mar 01, 2020
Has your sis been in good terms with them after their son's demise?
Or she was giving off the vibe " This all belong to me cos I have a child for him"

I don't know how engagement works in your tribe but in mine, that u are engaged doesn't give you a title of a wife so officially those things aren't yours. They belong to his family.
And u don't have any right over them.

If in this case, as she has a child, she and them should strike a good relationship so his family will help in training the new born and foster relationship with the guy's family.
She will marry again I guess or are u suggesting she take their late son's property to her new home?

How was their relationship before his death and how did he die.

1 Like

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 01, 2020
HarunaWest:
What your sister should fight for is the child not the property. They were engaged not married, so she had no right to his estate cos there's no legal document backing their relationship.
Try and secure the services of a competent lawyer or if that's too expensive, she should visit the LGA Secretariat where she resides, I think they always have a special welfare or family welfare department or the likes..They will hear her case and take the issue up.cheers
No case here. Lawyer will just chop their money.
The property don't belong to her. Period.

I'm worried about her shop though.
Is it in her name or the guy opened and equipped it for the wife to be?

Their relationship is already sour so what actually happened?

Was she claiming those property?

The late guy's mum isn't here so I have learnt not to draw conclusion again from one angle as the other party is always painted bad.

1 Like

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by crackkhaus: 2:45pm On Mar 01, 2020
princemillla:
Good noon guys pls I need the right input. Pls kindly read carefully and let me know how to best attack the issue.

I have a Lil sis who got engaged Last year. ThO she was pregnant befor the engagement.

Things were rosy after the engagement but along the line the young guy died last year December (2019).
Just immediately after the guy was pronounced dead, the guys mother collected both the landed property and car key from my sis.

Now she wanted my sis to come drop off a boy of 5months plus every property in their apartment to her (the deceased mothers) place. She also want to pick everything in my sis shop.

What issue is there to tackle?

1. They were not married, so your sister has no legal right over any property of her late fiancé.

2. As for asking your sis to drop off her son...unless your sister is a push-over, I don't see how anyone can just take her child away from her.

3. I hope the shop was rented in your sister's name.
If it was the guy who rented it and his name is on the tenancy agreement, then I'm sorry but there's not much you people can do to claim any right over anything in it.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by SUPERPACK: 2:45pm On Mar 01, 2020
She should give them the property and hold her baby since that is what they want. But before you hand over the property, get a lawyer and let him draft an agreement which the boy's family will sign too in the presence of a magistrate that, they don't own and have denounced the ownership of the baby. The child is her own since the father and the family wants to severe the relationship.

9 Likes

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by bigiyaro(m): 3:40pm On Mar 01, 2020
op, like the guys above said, there is no case here since your sister was not completely legally married to the guy, except he got any property for her on her own name. Also so if the shop rent was paid in the guys name then she has no case there too. She can as well empty the shop and move on. As for the child, you guys need to stand firmly by her, even in the court, the first preference as a child's custodian are his parents, if there is any dispute, the child's mother is the number one preference except where the biological father is able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the biological mother is unable to care for the child. If the 'woman' comes near your sis again, just call the police, they will read her rights to her. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by princemillla(m): 4:35pm On Mar 01, 2020
daddytime:
Wow....

Tough one.

The guy's family is greedily/selfishly on a salvage mission. They might even accuse your sister of being behind their son's death.

Sadly, engagement doesn't equal marriage, I might be wrong though.

You are right and this was my first statements to her when the landed properties and car key was taken from her
Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by princemillla(m): 4:37pm On Mar 01, 2020
babythug:
The elders of your family should engage with the late man’s family members.

The focal point of discussion should centre around welfare/upkeep for the baby. If the late man’s family do not accept to send or give a token towards the child’s care your family should dust themselves and face their front.

As to the property , everything that belonged to the man should be handed to his mum. As it is , she’s obviously a nut case and there’s no point joining issues with her.

Your sister and the child’s well being should be the most important now. Property can always be replaced

I doubt if there’s any legal covering as your sister was not his legal spouse per se!

Thanks for this.
The mother was just too harsh to the poor sons wife( or girlfriend as the case may be)
Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by princemillla(m): 4:40pm On Mar 01, 2020
HarunaWest:

Immediately I heard about the case I asked her to go domestic violence section in Lagos 'state sect. But she was advised to go apologise and see if she can sort things out with them. Which she did but she is he'll bent on taking every penny from her. So befor I we take another step want to get more clarification on our stand

3 Likes

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by princemillla(m): 4:45pm On Mar 01, 2020
crackkhaus:

What issue is there to tackle?

1. They were not married, so your sister has no legal right over any property of her late fiancé.

2. As for asking your sis to drop off her son...unless your sister is a push-over, I don't see how anyone can just take her child away from her.

3. I hope the shop was rented in your sister's name.
If it was the guy who rented it and his name is on the tenancy agreement, then I'm sorry but there's not much you people can do to claim any right over anything in it.

I am not sure the shop was rented in her name.
But she isnt ready to let go of her baby, and funny enough 's he is this devoted Muslim.

I strongly understand the mother motive cuz the boy was the bread winner of the family and as young as he is, he take care of all of them.

1 Like

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by crackkhaus: 4:55pm On Mar 01, 2020
princemillla:

But she isnt ready to let go of her baby, and funny enough 's he is this devoted Muslim.

I strongly understand the mother motive cuz the boy was the bread winner of the family and as young as he is, he take care of all of them.
She shouldn't, and she can't be forced.
Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by eyinjuege: 5:00pm On Mar 01, 2020
Sorry about the loss in your family.
However, let's not forget the deceased left a child that needs to be catered for.
The dead man's property may not belong to his fiancee, but his child has every legal right to his father's property.
No need to fight over anything, but let your family have a meeting with theirs to find out how they intend to contribute to the care of the child left behind. Is it from his father's estate, or they want to deprive the child of his inheritance?
If they decide not to contribute to the care of the child, it's going to be a tedious journey. Going to court to settle it (afterall, your sister should protect her child and get him what is rightfully his) or just accept fate that the child will be cheated.
Hopefully his family will be reasonable, but if they aren't na real gbege be dat.
May God comfort you guys

2 Likes

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by SUPERPACK: 5:04pm On Mar 01, 2020
princemillla:

Never allow them to have the baby. If they want the child they should leave her with something to cater for both herself and the child. And the baby must be with your sister no matter the agreement.

1 Like

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by Resurgent2016: 5:06pm On Mar 01, 2020
princemillla:

You are right and this was my first statements to her when the landed properties and car key was taken from her

I don't think they can force her to hand over the baby of her shop.

I'll advice she sells-off her wares and relocate with the baby to another location as it appears the family isn't interested in her welfare.
Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by ecstasy357(m): 5:39pm On Mar 01, 2020
princemillla:

Did they actually get married or it was just an engagement?

1 Like

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by sisisioge: 5:46pm On Mar 01, 2020
It is well o.

However, his properties are not technically hers because they weren't married. Anything belonging to the late guy should be returned to his family including his child. However, since the baby is still pretty young, your sister should just reach an arrangement that enables the family have assess to the child and care for him.

As per things in her own shop, that she could fight for as hers. I wish the family the fortitude to bear the loss and a special consolation to your sister. It is well.

1 Like

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by Mariangeles(f): 5:55pm On Mar 01, 2020
SUPERPACK:
She should give them the property and hold her baby since that is what they want. But before you hand over the property, get a lawyer and let him draft an agreement which the boy's family will sign too in the presence of a magistrate that, they don't own and have denounced the ownership of the baby. The child is her own since the father and the family wants to severe the relationship.

It is not advisable to cut off ties with her son's family for the sake of the child.
They (the late guy's family) need to be part of the child's life.

1 Like

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by crackkhaus: 6:02pm On Mar 01, 2020
eyinjuege:
Sorry about the loss in your family.
However, let's not forget the deceased left a child that needs to be catered for.
The dead man's property may not belong to his fiancee, but his child has every legal right to his father's property.
No need to fight over anything, but let your family have a meeting with theirs to find out how they intend to contribute to the care of the child left behind. Is it from his father's estate, or they want to deprive the child of his inheritance?
If they decide not to contribute to the care of the child, it's going to be a tedious journey. Going to court to settle it (afterall, your sister should protect her child and get him what is rightfully his) or just accept fate that the child will be cheated.
Hopefully his family will be reasonable, but if they aren't na real gbege be dat.
May God comfort you guys
Father's inheritance, estate, going to court... see english cheesy

And you typed all this seriously, as in you're not intoxicated or anything?

Which family court judge are you going to appear before to argue that a child born outside wedlock has claims to the sperm donor's property?

Jokes...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by SmileDance(f): 6:14pm On Mar 01, 2020
Tell your sister to move the things in her shop, her own personal things as the case may be and relocate to another city, anybody that wants to collect a 5 month old baby from his mother is a witch! Your sister should runaway from that family.

5 Likes

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by princemillla(m): 6:55pm On Mar 01, 2020
ecstasy357:

Did they actually get married or it was just an engagement?

They were supposed to officially married this February.
Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by ecstasy357(m): 7:30pm On Mar 01, 2020
princemillla:

They were supposed to officially married this February.

It's sad to say but the only power she has is the child. As per the properties, she has no legal claim over them except if her name is in any of the documents.
Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by princemillla(m): 8:57pm On Mar 01, 2020
ecstasy357:

It's sad to say but the only power she has is the child. As per the properties, she has no legal claim over them except if her name is in any of the documents.

Yes the shop was rented in her name. Just confirmed from her.

UPDATE : the guys mum just sent someone to add padlock to the house and the shop.
Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by eyinjuege: 9:06pm On Mar 01, 2020
crackkhaus:

Father's inheritance, estate, going to court... see english cheesy

And you typed all this seriously, as in you're not intoxicated or anything?

Which family court judge are you going to appear before to argue that a child born outside wedlock has claims to the sperm donor's property?

Jokes...

Really....
I'm sure I remember seeing you on another thread telling us that a child born outside of wedlock belongs to the father, and nothing like the mother's family especially with regards to the Igbo culture.
Now, you're telling us same child which you agreed is the man's child cannot inherit his father?
A child that has the man's name as father on his birth certificate, a child that was never denied by the man at any point, and probably the deceased did the naming ceremony and named his child..

5 Likes

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by Graxie(f): 9:06pm On Mar 01, 2020
Na waoh, let her move out for her safety. That fiancee mom can kill her.

1 Like

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by Mizwisdom(f): 9:25pm On Mar 01, 2020
princemillla:

Be wise, let her relocate. Pack all the property that she has access to. Break the padlock overnight and remove her belongings, be smart

3 Likes

Re: Human Rights Activist In The House Pls Help My Lil Sis by LadySarah: 9:57pm On Mar 01, 2020
No marriage here. She's at the mercy of the baby daddy's family.

All those I must taste and see what I want to buy, have you seen how you complicated a lady's life.

I feel for your sis.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Handle A Stubborn Elder Brother / My Husband Said ,sex In 6months Time / Don't Waste Your Youthful Earning On "Family" And Be Bitter At 70.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.