Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers (41101 Views)

Cash-Strapped Ghana Hits MTN With N350-Billion Tax Bill, MTN Disputes (PICS) / Call For 60minute On Mtn With 100 Naira / Get 2.5gb On MTN With Just 1000 Naira. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ipobarethieves: 10:32pm On Mar 01, 2020
Samsung galaxy note 10.1 tablet for sale.No crack, .Good battery. @60k
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Okoroawusa: 10:35pm On Mar 01, 2020
musicwriter:

For all the countries I've been, there's no difference between the way MTN recycle inactive phone lines in Nigeria and the way its done elsewhere. As a matter of fact, Nigeria is not the only country where MTN does business. I am on a business trip outside Nigeria as I write, and I have two MTN lines right now previously owned my a native here. And yes, I received his/her bank alert few days ago but which I quickly deleted.

Every GSM company every place I know, recycle inactive numbers. Its not only done in Nigeria.

Is Buhari's daughter the only person in Nigeria who've ever dumped a phone line before? How about millions of other Nigerians who have used several phone lines in the past but which now belong to someone else?

The problem is not MTN but because you're ruled by a tyrant who can imprison you up for 10 weeks because you innocently purchased a phone line previously used by his daughter. When a country has a bad leader, the people live in fear. You jailed someone because he bought a phone line formerly used by your daughter?!!. I just can't get my head around this. This type of news is unheard of even in North Korea.
Rie nsi oku ebe anwa!

So you can't discuss this matter like others?
Na Buhari dey do you?
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ghettochild4u(m): 10:36pm On Mar 01, 2020
Am sure mtn would have given out my mtn num
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Akanoaaa(m): 10:36pm On Mar 01, 2020
I remember when I bought one MTN sim that year, I after registration, I was told to wait till after 24 hours which I did. As I inserted the sim in to my phone not up to 5 minutes I received a call, I was shocked, I was asking myself who could be calling. Imaging the sim I just bought that I don't even know the number yet and I have already receiving calls. I picked the call with one mind and I heard "Hello Zainab booni" ahh Zainab keh. I replied, this is not Zainab ma'am and the woman told me to give Zainab the phone and I told her I don't know any Zainab o and I just bought the sim yesterday. And the woman started abusing me on phone even cursing me, calling me names. She said I stole her daughter's phone and my eye will see something. Ehhh, ewagbami keh. The sim I bought with my money. She ended the call and not up to 4 hours another call entered thinking it was the woman again but it was Zainab's friend which she listen to my explanations. The second day, someone called me and it was Zainab dad. When the man started asking me questions, I told him everything and I told him to call Zainab through her friends phone and sure she will have more answers to his questions. Thank God the man was understandable man. After everything I realized we are in same state even in the same senatorial district. Anyway, not only MTN do this, even Glo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by govomotors: 10:40pm On Mar 01, 2020
Over a year ago Airtel office sold an existing number to me which they generated and activated. I went as far as to recharge the line, made several calls and sent out sms to all my business associates.

After 24hrs, I was not receiving any call or sms. So our of curiosity, I used an alternative number to call my new number only for a lady to answer the call. I was furious so I visited Airtel office and the ran a check on the same number number they sold to me in the last 24hrs. They discovered that the number was amongst a pool of numbers allocated to a XYZ company.

All the said was, we are sorry about that and they ended up allocating a new number to me. The worst thing that even happened was when I send a new sms to my contact letting them know of the change. Some never believed my story and it hurt me so badly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by decatalyst(m): 10:47pm On Mar 01, 2020
tk4rd:
Dear MTN..

I am going to be very brief on this, but I would make my points very clear.

You people had been doing “recycling of numbers” of innocent Nigerians who had not used their lines for up to one year or more, and the only remedy you guys put in place was to introduce a service known as “Keep My Line”, which you guys did not even sensitize the citizens on or make popular enough, and as a result, lots of the helpless Nigerian citizens did not even know about this service.

This had cause a lot of people to loose their precious numbers just like that, only because they had the opportunity of travelling abroad for some jobs or for studies, or maybe for one serious reason or another had a good cause to temporarily abandon their main lines for more than one year..

MTN, you guys never thought that these recycled lines might had been connected to the original owners bank-accounts, and that the new owners of these lines would now be given express unchecked access to these bank account through the USSD Mobile Banking Methods.

...Yess..
Someone recently bought a new line, and with all the happiness that he was able to still see a “0803...” number still available, the next thing he started seeing were messages from lots of people he never knew, lots of calls from unknown persons mistaking him to be the husband of one certain lady and telling him to hand the phone over to her so that they can talk to her directly.. Meanwhile, this guy had not married. He doesn't even have a serious girlfriend at the moment. To cap it all, he continued receiving series of endless debit and credit alerts on his phones of transactions he knows absolute nothing about.
He first went to the bank to stop the endless alerts, but they told him that he wasn't the one to apply for the change of number, but the original owner of the bank-account.

Now, imagine that this guy here has someone working in the bank who is ready to divulge information to him for some chicken change,, all he needs is just the correct account number of the person, and he would activate the USSD mobile banking options on the bank account..
What if the original owner had already activated USSD Mobile Banking?? In that case, all that the new owner of the line would do is just to dial the USSD mobile banking code for the bank, and start trying his best to change the transaction PIN or Password.

Dear MTN, if you guys may recall,, there is a recent issue which is already in court between You (MTN), Hanan Buhari (President Buhari's Daughter), The DSS, and one Anthony Okolie from Delta State.

To be honest, you MTN are the main cause of all the problems here. You guys blocked off Hanan in the first place and she lost her precious line.. Then you went ahead to sell the same line as a new line to an innocent unsuspecting Anthony.
Tell me, is it his fault that he bought the line..
You guys are totally guilty here.

And the earlier you stop doing this recycling of numbers, the better for you guys.
More criminal cases are still coming.

The case of Anthony Okolie and Hanan Buhari is just the beginning.

You see, most of you guys that think you are literate enough to know right or wrong are actually not so literate and intelligent. No pun intended.
And the main problem is that majority of Nigerias don't read at all or just read to get the headlines.

In the sim pack you bought, there are terms and conditions...most Nigerians don't even know they are not the owner of these numbers...just like the prepaid meter you use your money to buy!

But how will you know this? You don't read at all! And the relevant government agencies are not doing enough! I wonder what NOA is there for. NCC is really trying...doing radio sensitization programmes...but majority of the educated illiterates are on the internet and barely get the drift.

It is not only about MTN, but it's what's applicable across board. No telco will leave a line for over one year without a customer using it and they continue to pay taxes on it. I cannot work that way fa.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by zoedew: 10:48pm On Mar 01, 2020
The smart will look through the T&C of MTN and sue as appropriate.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by musicwriter(m): 10:51pm On Mar 01, 2020
Okoroawusa:

Rie nsi oku ebe anwa!

So you can't discuss this matter like others?
Na Buhari dey do you?

Others have their opinion.

You have your opinion.

I have my opinion. My opinion is just my opinion, you must not like it but be civil or don't quote me again.

2 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by vandertommy: 10:57pm On Mar 01, 2020
Racoon:
Thanks! NCC really have to address this fraudulent practice by the telecom regulators(esp.MTN, Airtel).
it's actually a directive from NCC to block or recycle lines that have been dormant for more than 6 months. So NCC is actually to be bamed for all these
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by don4real18(m): 11:10pm On Mar 01, 2020
I went to gtbank to link to my bank account only to find out that someone else had registered it. No wonder I am always receiving birthday messages with someone else's name.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by eedriyz(m): 11:16pm On Mar 01, 2020
Not just MTN. Airtel is also notorious for this
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 01, 2020
more trouble for nigerians,
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Nobody: 11:19pm On Mar 01, 2020
madan:
Imagine, my late mum's number has been given to someone else. Someone called me and said she mistakenly dialed her number while trying to call me but was surprised that it rang and someone said "hello" to her. When she told me about it, I argued that it was never possible because I was the one that switched off her phone and removed the Sim from the phone. I later dialed the number and heard the person's voice but I quickly cut the call. Can you just imagine that. This person that bought the Sim now will start receiving strange calls because people might try to reach my mum because it's not long she died.

Mtn knw ur mum is dead and the dead don't use sim card

RIP to ur lovely mum

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by gr8tone: 11:19pm On Mar 01, 2020
I bought mtn line last only for one guy to call and pleaded with me to release it for him. He stated the line is attach to his bank account. This guy had left the country to dubai, when he came back, he couldn't use it again because it had been recycled. I had to release the line in spite of the risk involved.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by matify83: 11:22pm On Mar 01, 2020
Just like the people above who have been vexed by the telcos, I had my share of this raging discourse when I bought a glo line with the number 08051156062.

Having registered the SIM, I proceeded to insert it into my cell phone only to get a flurry of bank transaction messages.

It didn't take long before my name became Ejiro as I had to beg and explain to her numerous callers that I now own the line.

Since I was not paid by Glo for the new work I found myself doing I had to destroy that SIM to restore back my sanity and peace of mind.

Whoever Ejiro is, I hail o!

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Unrated900(m): 11:30pm On Mar 01, 2020
I pray they didn’t mistake banker for mechanic Sha
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Originalsly: 11:31pm On Mar 01, 2020
fkj950ax:

There are Terms and Conditions at the sale of every SIM. Which we all accepted at purchase and activation of the line
I advise you to read it before this letter of yours.

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 11:36pm On Mar 01, 2020
Firstorderwizard:
A protest letter against recycling of old, worn-out polithieves like bubu,Tibubu and Lai would have added sense into this write up undecided
You can do it bro.
At least, let it be your own contribution to this since it bothers you this much.
I eased out the one that was bothering me.
It's time you ease out your own tension.
Stop waiting on someone else.
Stop trying to be a parasite on another person's efforts.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 11:51pm On Mar 01, 2020
themonk:
Your open letter should be to the NCC who sets the standards
Numbers are recycled everywhere even in the US. You do not own a number for a lifetime and you accepted that contract by using a SIM card. You must recharge and use your credit to use a billable service to keep using your number.
In Nigeria, we copy a lot, and we end up pasting wrongly after every every..
That's Just all I can say on this for now.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 11:52pm On Mar 01, 2020
Boldbode:
@Poster, recycling of inactive SIM is a general rule not limited to just MTN.
You may address your letter to NCC. The telecoms are regulated by NCC.

Thanks for this.
I will seek out a way to let NCC see this.
Thanks once again.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 11:53pm On Mar 01, 2020
oluwaseyi000:

What's holding your own hand from writing that?
Thanks for lashing him promptly and properly.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by themonk(m): 11:57pm On Mar 01, 2020
tk4rd:
In Nigeria, we copy a lot, and we end up pasting wrongly..
Do Americans also allow the new owners of the recycled numbers to still be receiving bank alerts of the old owners??
That is the job of the bank to fix. MTN/NCC gave you a contract that if you must use their SIM you must adhere to. But since most of you don't read, you are here blaming MTN/NCC for your woes, how is MTN/NCC supposed to control bank alerts? If you lose your SIM card, go to your bank and remove it from your profile, if your loved one is dead do the same for him or her. MTN/NCC cannot pay tax on a phone number when you have refused to recharge it and make use of their services, same is the business model abroad.

Your use of the SIM card is contingent that you must recharge it and use the airtime. By the way your calling out MTN instead of NCC looks very sinister, it seems you've been paid to demarket MTN.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ImaIma1(f): 12:13am On Mar 02, 2020
That's how one guy kept loading airtime from an elderly man's pension account because of this same line recycling. He loaded almost 20k airtime over a period of time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ShenTeh(m): 12:17am On Mar 02, 2020
Number (MSISDN) recycling is international best practice. No need calling out MTN, other telcos or NCC. It not only betrays our Ignorance but shows our poor grasp of the products we are using.

The lifespan of your MSISDN ownership is dependent on your recharge history. For most networks, the number of times you recharge (not denomination, just number of times) extends the validity of your ownership by 90 days. When this validity period expires, your line becomes inactive, upon which when you recharge you get 90 days, etc. This way people can get lifetime validity.

When you do not recharge in this inactive status, the line becomes deactivated 90 days from the inactive status date. A deactivated line can still be redeemed from your network provider with some basic requirements. It remains in this state for another 90 days. When you make no effort to redeem the deactivated SIM and tge 90 days elapse, the MSISDN (your number) is recycled and you forfeit ownership.

Fair enough. Otherwise telcos will just be selling numbers to claim largest subscriber base without bothering on quality and customer retention.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 12:22am On Mar 02, 2020
decatalyst:

You see, most of you guys that think you are literate enough to know right or wrong are actually not so literate and intelligent. No pun intended.
And the main problem is that majority of Nigerias don't read at all or just read to get the headlines.

In the sim pack you bought, there are terms and conditions...most Nigerians don't even know they are not the owner of these numbers...just like the prepaid meter you use your money to buy!

But how will you know this? You don't read at all! And the relevant government agencies are not doing enough! I wonder what NOA is there for. NCC is really trying...doing radio sensitization programmes...but majority of the educated illiterates are on the internet and barely get the drift.

It is not only about MTN, but it's what's applicable across board. No telco will leave a line for over one year without a customer using it and they continue to pay taxes on it. I cannot work that way fa.
Lots of Nigerians are having lots of problems with their newly bought lines which still had lots and lots to do with their former owners, and you are here talking about Terms and Conditions..
There are real problems here, and you are there quoting some silly T&C ideals..
ROBOTS EVERYWHERE.!!
I don't blame you a bit anyway..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 12:29am On Mar 02, 2020
Nawa o
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by edoairways: 12:31am On Mar 02, 2020
fineboynl:
instead of recycling phone number they should instead extend the number from 11 to 15 digits.

that way everyone can keep their old number.

imaging buying a blacklisted phone number. a number that was previously used for crime.
That is like having another number but the issue is, those lines are expensive. Ncc is aware of this yet they wait till there is outcry before taking action
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 12:32am On Mar 02, 2020
Jabioro:
My friend up till last Friday still receiving alerts of millions of naira messages..he tired,broke and need of money..if police especially SARS the
yahoo searchers get hold of that his phimaginee that. would think they have arrived....their matter na ole gbe ole gba.. meanwhile he knows nothing about it
You can just imagine that...
What if this guy tried to use some mobile ussd codes to load airtime of up to N100,000 or even more, without using PINS or Passwords; then, by the time it would be discovered, he would be wanted for fraud.
But they were the ones that first put the poor guy into serious temptation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by edoairways: 12:37am On Mar 02, 2020
tk4rd:
Lots of Nigerians are having lots of troubles with their newly bought lines that still had lots and lots to do with their former owners, and you are here talking Terms and Conditions..
Real problems here, and you are there quoting some silly T&C ideals..
ROBOTS EVERYWHERE.!!
I don't blame you a bit.
decatalyst is right on this one. Majority of Nigerians don't read instructions on the products or service they buy. Secondly the regulatory commission are helping matters, rather they charge huge amount to issue new number series. The service providers had no choice than to re issue old lines since it cost more to get new number series (0803,0806, etc).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Nokia 5 Unboxing:Would You Choose A Tecno Or Infinix Device Over This? (text) / Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application / 10 Best Selfie Smartphone With Good Front Camera 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.