Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,292 members, 7,807,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom (32132 Views)

Police Take Over Cross River Assembly / Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme’s Confirmation As CJ, Again, Post Vacant / Ekiti Assembly Rejects Governorship Election Result, Adjourns Till October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by nsiba: 5:46am On Mar 27, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Again I signed on to this forum to educate because people like you were causing my ancestors to be INSULTED!
ibibios are copying almost all aspects of efik lifestyle thereby making it hard to differentiate.Let me also add that ibibio girls love sex madly and are promiscuous. [/b]"
efiks are very few in numbet by the way and is not everyday one comes across them like akwa ibom girls.many of my friends outside cross river even claim their efik girlfriends called ekaette or idara or mfonobong when efik girls rarely bear those names..
Look your advocate of unities doesn’t bother me and I wouldn’t respond at all, if my ethnic group wasn’t being Insulted.
Due to the confidence of these lies spread by people like U an Ignorant Urhobo man open a thread without any research, causing more insult on my people angry

Aboikpa I cant forget what d co-ck at d first crow at dawn said about you
' she is you talk one, she talks 100 type"
Again just adjacent the Paramount ruler palace cool cool

Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by ibibiogrl: 8:23am On Mar 27, 2020
Blackking98:
I just got to know that recently ibibio is not just one language, there are variations, I know my place ibiono speaks the same with uruan, then ikono and uyo speak the same, I don't really know much about the rest. The thread was about one clown claiming urhobo was the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria with a very useless write up to justify his claim. The clown and his cohorts were attacked seriously tho especially from the ijaws and us ibibio
At last something positive has come out of this shocked Good that you have actually started asking your father to learn more about your family history.
Because all my write up to stress that Ibibio has many dialect was taken as a disunity campaign by you undecided I don't care about Urhobos being the 4th largest group or whatever So you are wrong that was not the thread I was talking about. Like I said I only cared when my ancestors were being Insulted. So I have called both Ur attention to 1 of such threads. I've been trying to post the link & quotes here since last week but am always blocked daily by Spambot angry
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by orisa37: 8:40am On Mar 27, 2020
Ikpeme can sue them for being so arrogant and silly.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by ibibiogrl: 8:59am On Mar 27, 2020
Blackking98:

Even though it is not being taught they still understand it very very well. By the way you know ibibio has variations, I know my place ibiono our ibibio is slightly different from that of ikono or uyo so depending on where you're from. The way you reason is fantastically low for someone who claims to stay in Europe or America, I used my dad as an example you're already claiming age mate,are you even educated? You don't care about unity because like I said you're not in Nigeria so you will not understand why we're looking for unity, so anytime you see Akwa ibomites and efiks staying in Nigeria advocating unity please just pass and enjoy your American Life. About the urhobo thread I saw it, we did put the attention seeker in his place.
If they will understand than you should have been able to understand the basic Annang short sentence that I wrote to interprete it in English undecided
If you can read English very well, you should have read that I've been saying that only younger Ibibios who were born after 1987 & therefore grew tin AKS will not fully understand Efik except basic part that's similar to ibibio. E.g. using U if can't understand the basic Annang sentence written down. How can you understand if someone spoke that with a deeper acent
Y would U use Ur father to compare to someone born after 87?
What has my living abroad got to do with defending my ancestors?
nsiba:
We spread "lies" and an Ignorant Urohobo man opens a thread.....
I will answer you very very deep Babygirl ,you talk as if you are an authority when you know not just one thing.
Give me d link to d Urohobo man thread
*That Ibibio girls love sex and promiscuous*....and urohobos, Yorubas, Ibos, Hausas girls are saints
*EKAETE, Idara, mfonobong are Ibibios names*.....and the 4k what
Give me that link, first
Here is the link to the thread with the quotes in Ur post. It's only 2pages so you should Read the whole thread and Remember that, next time U accuse me of disrupting your unities campaign.
Blackking98 Read this thread and per attention to what ur Calabar people wrote about my people.
https://www.nairaland.com/4110925/ini-edo-rocks-ibibio-traditional

1 Like

Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Blackking98(m): 9:38am On Mar 27, 2020
nsiba:

Since the Urhobo write up is useless case close.
Petrol in England is gasoline in USA, flat is apartment, football is soccer but they all are English. In England you can identify a Londoner, Liverpudlian, some one from Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham by their dialect all are English(
Anambra, Abia, IMO, Ebonyi, Enugu each state with close to wide varieties of dialect all are Igbos( many can never understand one another except thru d central Igbo)
Same with Yoruba, Hausa
Even Chinese (Mandarin) varies, Arabic too
This people advantage is simply having a collective name
Ibiono vary Uruan but it only takes those within that will know, I never knew this until I holidayed in the main Itu where you will meet Ibeno,Itam and Obot ITU people
Obot Itu,Efik Ibuno and several villages down to Ikot Offiong are efik speaking but the Oku Iboku and Uruan people will tell you otherwise who they think are Efik people.....
For me, the more education, information and development gets into any community the better d society

I don't know if ibibiogrl is using language as a basis of her division campaign.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Blackking98(m): 9:50am On Mar 27, 2020
ibibiogrl:

If they will understand than you should have been able to understand the basic Annang short sentence that I wrote to interprete it in English undecided
If you can read English very well, you should have read that I've been saying that only younger Ibibios who were born after 1987 & therefore grew tin AKS will not fully understand Efik except basic part that's similar to ibibio. E.g. using U if can't understand the basic Annang sentence written down. How can you understand if someone spoke that with a deeper acent
Y would U use Ur father to compare to someone born after 87?
What has my living abroad got to do with defending my ancestors?

Here is the link to the thread with the quotes in Ur post. It's only 2pages so you should Read the whole thread and Remember that, next time U accuse me of disrupting your unities campaign.
Blackking98 Read this thread and per attention to what ur Calabar people wrote about my people.
https://www.nairaland.com/4110925/ini-edo-rocks-ibibio-traditional
your points are unproven really, I know many Akwa ibomites born after 87 who understand Efik to a certain point, it's just natural as ibibio and Efik languages are mutually intelligible to a certain point so saying an Akwa ibomite born after 87 won't understand efik isn't entirely true, if the person understands ibibio he or she will understand efik to a certain point.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by ibibiogrl: 7:17pm On Mar 27, 2020
Blackking98:
your points are unproven really, I know many Akwa ibomites born after 87 [[b]who understand Efik to a certain point, [/b]it's just natural as ibibio and Efik languages are mutually intelligible to a certain point so saying an Akwa ibomite born after 87 won't understand efik isn't entirely true, if the person understands ibibio he or she will understand efik to a certain point.
Ridiculous shocked what is the difference between "a certain point" AND "to an extent"? Am not going to teach you English here undecided because I gave that meaning immediately after; in the sentence of basic parts.....Use a dictionary to find the meaning of " TO AN EXTENT" sad
ibibiogrl:

Well the older Ibibio who grew up in the old Cross River state before Akwa Ibom state was separated, can understand Efik more because it was the main language spoken then officially in the state. But the younger Ibibio growing up in Akwa Ibom state can only understand a little Efik, mainly the parts similar to Ibibio. Efik may understand Ibibio more than Annang because Ibibios are a majority & lots of them still live in Calabar. Aside from that all 3 can only understand parts of each other languages to an extent, basic parts that are similar.
I might say Ibibio is the easiest, but that might be because am Ibibio & that is the language spoken in my family. So it's better to learn the one spoken more around you. smiley
Blackking98:
I don't know if ibibiogrl is using language as a basis of her division campaign.
What division campaign When I've been saying language are most similar. Below is another post of mine;
.DO YOU SPEAK any of these languages you listed above? If not why are you confidently saying that they understand each other with just minor dialectical differences? Please don't compare your Ikwere/Igbo war to us, because it is not the same situation.
    Efik, Ibibio and Annang are just like Spanish, Italian and French, the are from the same language family but different. An Efik, Ibibio or Annang can understand parts of each others language, but not fully escept they have lived in the others region.
    Annang has 3 dialects in it language, also Ibibio has dialects example Eket/Ibeno is a dialect of Ibibio. Even though Eket language can not be fully understood by an Ibibio, they have never denied being Ibibio, they regard themselves as a subgroup of Ibibio, speak Ibibio as a second language and practice the same traditions as Ibibio.
    Oron regard themselves as a subgroup of Efik, they dress like and practice the same traditions as Efik, although their language can only be understood by themselves; which is why they speak Efik as a second language.
    They 3 main groups Annang, Efik and Ibibio ARE SEPARATE not just because of different languages but because they also practice different traditions and cultures.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Blackking98(m): 11:00pm On Mar 27, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Ridiculous shocked what is the difference between "a certain point" AND "to an extent"? Am not going to teach you English here undecided because I gave that meaning immediately after; in the sentence of basic parts.....Use a dictionary to find the meaning of " TO AN EXTENT" sad

What division campaign When I've been saying language are most similar. Below is another post of mine;
okay
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by bigfrancis21: 4:49am On Mar 28, 2020
Nowenuse:

The fact that you have names of places with the IGBO prefix or suffix all over Igbo land does not in any way signify that the people of those places identity as Igbo...

Take for example, in Anioma land, Ikas & Ukwuani people call Enuani people (Uzor Igbo) which means people on the road to Igbo land, while Enuanis call them (Uzor Idu) which means people on the road to Benin land'. So let's assume these nicknames stuck, will you then say that this means that Enuani people identified themselves as Igbos in the past?

Do you know Igbuzor town in Delta state near Asaba? The name Igbuzor was a nickname given to them by their neighbors and this means (Igbos on the roadside/in front)... This is because Igbuzor people came from Isu. And other indigenous Anioma people saw them as Igbos hence the name.

Ask anybody you know from Igbuzor, they don't call themselves Igbuzor.... They call themselves (Isu nambogu) whenever they are meeting.
Same thing with Akuku-Igbo (Igbo camp) another town in Enuani... This name was also given to them by their neighbors since the founder of that town was from Nri.

So, ask yourself, if these people considered themselves Igbos in the past, why do they nickname immigrants from across the River Niger as Igbo?

Even Onitsha people till date address other SEners as NWA ONYE IGBO...

Take it or leave it... Igbo as an identity to cover all Igbo speaking people today was a classification of the British... Before the British came, only certain parts of Igbo land were identified as Igbo people!

You have a point but not completely. Igbos of the past saw all others around them as 'Igbo' but not them. Igbere (Igbo ere) in Abia state was given by the townspeople in reference to the Aro slave traders' failed attempts to invade and defeat them in their bid to acquire slaves. In memory of their victory, they named their town, Igbo ereghi/Igbo ere (Igbos could not sell us), or Igbere for short. That is, they saw the Aros (ironically, people who have links with the Ibibio) as Igbos but not them even though they all spoke the same language. The Owere people saw others around them as 'Isoma' but not them. The Ikweres saw non-Ikweres as 'Isoma' but not them. And so on. I think this stems from the waves of migratory pattern in the past. When people crossed borders and moved into new linguistic domains and settled, they often may not have mentally identified themselves as the 'original people'/'sons of the land', or 'Igbos' despite having acculturated completely linguistically, culturally and otherwise. Thus, when asked if they were Igbo, they would point out to their next door neighbors who they met there upon arrival as the Igbos aka original occupants or predecessors or 'sons of the soil' etc. A good example would be some Yorubas who settled in Imo state and 3 generations later, their descendants are completely Igbo in names, language, culture etc but with retained memories of their ancestral origins in Ogun state, for example. Due to their ancestral origins being in mind and despite being Igbo today, they may point to other towns surrounding them as the Igbos (aborigines) if asked, and not them. Not that they thought being Igbo was bad per se and they were denying being attached to the name. The fact that Igbos lost the war didn't help but added more salt to the lingering and seemingly insignificant injury.

Ironically, we have plenty of Igbo-attached names all over Igbo-speaking SE and SS areas.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by Nowenuse: 10:31am On Mar 28, 2020
bigfrancis21:

You have a point but not completely. Igbos of the past saw all others around them as 'Igbo' but not them. Igbere (Igbo ere) in Abia state was given by the townspeople in reference to the Aro slave traders' failed attempts to invade and defeat them in their bid to acquire slaves. In memory of their victory, they named their town, Igbo ereghi/Igbo ere (Igbos could not sell us), or Igbere for short. That is, they saw the Aros (ironically, people who have links with the Ibibio) as Igbos but not them even though they all spoke the same language. The Owere people saw others around them as 'Isoma' but not them. The Ikweres saw non-Ikweres as 'Isoma' but not them. And so on. I think this stems from the waves of migratory pattern in the past. When people crossed borders and moved into new linguistic domains and settled, they often may not have mentally identified themselves as the 'original people'/'sons of the land', or 'Igbos' despite having acculturated completely linguistically, culturally and otherwise. Thus, when asked if they were Igbo, they would point out to their next door neighbors who they met there upon arrival as the Igbos aka original occupants or predecessors or 'sons of the soil' etc. A good example would be some Yorubas who settled in Imo state and 3 generations later, their descendants are completely Igbo in names, language, culture etc but with retained memories of their ancestral origins in Ogun state, for example. Due to their ancestral origins being in mind and despite being Igbo today, they may point to other towns surrounding them as the Igbos (aborigines) if asked, and not them. Not that they thought being Igbo was bad per se and they were denying being attached to the name. The fact that Igbos lost the war didn't help but added more salt to the lingering and seemingly insignificant injury.

Ironically, we have plenty of Igbo-attached names all over Igbo-speaking SE and SS areas.

Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

But I think that Igbo tag would not really apply to larger Igbo subgroups who had a strong subtribal identity and culture, like the Nkanu, Nsukka, Enuani, Ukwuani, Ngwa e.t.c

I'm very sure all Igbo speaking people across the east knew the subgroups above with the names they call themselves... I highly doubt that someone across the Niger would have addressed an Enuani man as IGBO in those days.
Take Onitsha & Oguta for example, these were communities in the east founded by Anioma immigrants some few hundred years ago. However, their neighbors in the East never addressed them as Igbo, rather they were the ones who addressed their neighbors as Igbo.

While communities in Western Igbo land founded by immigrants from the East had the 'Igbo appellation' cos the Western Igbos saw them as Igbos.

From all these narratives, it is quite clear that every Igbo speaking person had a certain definition of who he thought was 'Igbo' in the past.
For the Anioma people, it was clearly anyone across the River Niger, while in the SE it seems like it could mean Aboriginal people (based on what u said), it could also mean FOREIGNERS who spoke a similar (Igbo based) language e.t.c

Talking about the Ikwerres & Owerres addressing others as Isuoma. I kind of find it uncertain because I don't think Ikwerres call their Igbo speaking neighbors (like Etche, Ogba & Ekpeye) Isuoma. The name seems to be used for people from the SE. I don't think they also call their non Igbo speaking neighbors (like Ijaws & Ogonis) Isuoma.

All these things are just very very fluid. Had it been we had very strong ethno-linguistic researchers, historians & anthropologists from Nigeria, they could have done better research on these things.
Right now we are working on guesses and the little info we have available.

Black Africans are the LIVE AND LET LIVE kind of people. Everyone loved his or her autonomy and so no need for building large ethnic groups. Apart from the Cushitic/Semitic people of Horn Africa who were relatively more civilized and the Bantu tribes who were aggressive expansionists, seeing large Black West African tribes like Yoruba, Hausa & Igbo today was the pure handiwork of the British.
Although, Hausas were unified by the fulani caliphate before the British came. Though the identity HAUSA took back seat to ISLAM until the British came.

Look at the Mende speaking peoples all over French west Africa. Had it been it was the British who colonized French West Africa, they would have merged all these Mende speaking peoples as one large ethnic group, but the French did not operate that way.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by martjay(m): 1:26pm On Mar 28, 2020
mildflame:

I am most impress with you interest in this but by using sentences, dance patterns and the above has no bearing in concluding that this group aren't of same ancestry
The English we speak and which is the official language in England varies from region to region
What is spoken in London, Manchester, Newcastle has it own accent, dialect and pronunciation, there are three distinct English which are southern, Midland and northern but these are all English
Even the dance pattern, food and music has it regional enclaves. Down here the Hausa spoken in sokoto, kano and Adamawa can be easily distinguished by Hausa's speakers yet same Hausa
The youruba spoken in badagry won't be understood by an Ikeja brought up Yoruba and the Yoruba spoken in ondo, okitipupa, shaki I bet u can't be understood by this individual if you don't speak the central youruba
Coming down home there is nothing different from what is spoken in Uruan, ITU that won't be comprehended in the entire calabar. The differences in Ibibio, efik and anang is just like southern, midland and northern England which are domicile in those regions. The accent, dialect and pronunciation doesn't make any of them different
What brought about this was the arrival of the Europeans and fortunately for any chief back then especially those from the riverine area, they ceased the opportunity and promoted themselves and their territory
While the obong who I will tell you can be traced to Uruan ancestry cannot be any further higher than the chiefs then in Uruan gained favors from the Europeans and consolidated his dominance, that can't be said of the other chiefs.
You can't tell me the Efiks own calabar, the Quas and Efuts have the core inner land while the Efiks dominate the riverine areas
Now the ibibios are using the oil wealth as Europeans to gain dominance. Forget the Ghana fables of anang being from Ghana or any group claiming to be above the other
Ibibio,(ekid, ibeno)efik Anang oron and ekoi( ejahgham) are of the same stock and origin .

Well done! Very apt and detailed.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by ibibiogrl: 5:40pm On Mar 29, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Hundreds of thousands of Akwa Ibom people still live in Calabar and many lie to outsiders that they're Efiks grin but how many CR people live in your State? what is stopping people from migrating to AKB despite infrastructure put in place by Akpabio? your place isn't comparable to CRS in terms of livability and this includes way of life of indigenous people. You cant compare the hospitable nature of people from CRS to AKBmyts, it's incomparable, that's why despite our meagre allocation many of your tribes men and women run to CRS for safety because they fear their fellow AKBmyt wickedness. Another thing is IQ, many are used as domestic helpers here in CRS since poverty and illiteracy has been major problems bedeviling your state. grin it's hilarious how you are waiting anxiously for Efik to rule, Efik know better and they won't even disturb themselves because they understand that most of you want to mischievously use this as a means to get into CRS govt house grin. You people are too damn wicked, even after many oil wells stolen you still had to get 79 more belonging to CRS, by God's grace we shall see how you will succeed with your plan here. Go and install AKB in govt house na grin key board warrior.
This guy here you are discussing with is half Efik. His father has also grown up in CRS having many lands there. It's only AKS like his family who are half Efik or married to Efik, like this denied Justice Ikpeme that still live in CRS undecided
No proud Ibibio is living or begging to live in a dry state as CRS. They other few are there because of their businesses like Hotels, which they have the headquarters in AKS & annexes in Calabar.
My aunt who is an Efik from Calabar, but was formerly married to an Ibibio from Uyo. Recently returned from her holiday visit to Nigeria. She told me she was very impressed with AKS development and normally went from Calabar to shop in the big shopping complex in Uyo. She was impressed with the city, traffic & all. It made her not feel much difference as per visiting from USA.
She even came back to Lagos using Uyo airport because there was a situation concerning Hamattan wind & weather, affecting the Calabar airport then in January. You should also know that Uyo stadium is the super eagles stadium, like all their qualifying home based games for the worldcup Russia2018 was played there in Uyo.
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by ibibiogrl: 3:19am On May 01, 2020
nsiba:
Aboikpa I cant forget what d co-ck at d first crow at dawn said about you
' she is you talk one, she talks 100 type"
Again just adjacent the Paramount ruler palace cool ibibiogrl hw r
Am Ok smiley U never responded to INSULTS on this thread by senatordave angry
https://www.nairaland.com/4110925/ini-edo-rocks-ibibio-traditional/1
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by nsiba: 3:47am On May 01, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Am Ok smiley U never responded to INSULTS on this thread by senatordave angry
https://www.nairaland.com/4110925/ini-edo-rocks-ibibio-traditional/1

OK ....although you already took him to the cleaners
Mbok stay safe oh...

ibibiogrl I will. ..
he has been avoiding me like a plague, he knew what he did and has refused answering his mention by me
So Babygirl what is cooking?
Re: Cross River Assembly Rejects Ikpeme As Chief Justice Because She’s From AkwaIbom by ibibiogrl: 3:55am On May 01, 2020
nsiba:
OK ....although you've already took him to the cleaners
Mbok stay safe oh
Thanks you too be safe smiley I would've liked for you to add yours like you did in the Urhobo man's thread.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Holds Prayer Session For Nigeria In Aso Rock (Photos) / MEND breaks silence, tackles ‘Niger Delta Avengers’ - Premium Times / Arrest PDP's Secondus, Stir Up The Colony Of Wahala - Dino Melaye Tells FG, APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.