Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights (7456 Views)

Price War: Ethiopian Airlines On Lagos -london Route Now Cheaper Than Air Peace / CANADA: A Nigerian Family Says They Face ‘Persecution’ If Deported, Beg To Stay / Crashes: Air Peace Says No Plan To Cancel Order For 10 B737 MAX Aircraft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by zakim(m): 9:58pm On Mar 05, 2020
The Chief Executive Officer of Ethiopian Airlines, Tewolde Gebremariam, has insisted that there is no plan to stop flights to China. According to him, stopping flights to China is not a solution to fight the novel coronavirus. He spoke on Thursday at the 5th Africa Aviation conference being held in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa. Daily Trust reports that many foreign airlines have stopped flights to China in the wake of the ravaging COVID-19 outbreak.

On a daily basis, passengers from China come into Nigeria via all the international airports where Ethiopian Airlines flies to. On Monday, a Chinese man aboard an ET flight was quarantined after persistently coughing on arrival at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos. The Chinese man was later found to be free of the virus. Last month, two major East African carriers – Kenya Airways and Rwand Air – had last suspended all flights to and from China until further notice.

Just on Tuesday, Kenya halted direct flights from Italy’s northern cities of Verona and Milan. But Gebremariam insists stopping flights to China is not a solution to fight the coronavirus outbreak. “Flying direct to China doesn’t mean we will stop novel coronavirus, because passengers from China can travel to African countries including Ethiopia through various other hubs.

That’s what the interconnected world means. “As per the directive of the World Health Organization (WHO), stopping flights isn’t the answer. Isolating China because it has novel coronavirus outbreak isn’t fair,” said Gebremariam. However, the ET CEO admitted the novel coronavirus disease is a major headache for Africa’s largest airlines with more than 120 international destinations.

“We’ve seen a 20 percent decline in demand. It’s a big shock, but aviation is used to this kind of shock. Diseases, natural disasters, wars, sudden spikes in oil prices, we’re used to it,” he added.
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/coronavirus-no-plan-to-stop-china-flights-ethiopian-airlines.html

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by Lawgod247: 10:09pm On Mar 05, 2020
Ok
Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by Hhansome(m): 10:23pm On Mar 05, 2020
It shall end in praise.

6 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by backnbeta(f): 10:37pm On Mar 05, 2020
I don't blame the guy, I blame the countries that are still receiving your passengers from China undecided
I even thought he was going to list the efforts they make at screening passengers! You should fly all your China passengers straight to Addis Ababa abeg angry

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by cnwamo(m): 5:07am On Mar 06, 2020
It’s all about the money

6 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by Chummynoni(m): 5:08am On Mar 06, 2020
na una problem be that
Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by gaskiyamagana: 5:08am On Mar 06, 2020
Because of money, you want fly corona through Africa, God punish una.

20 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by blowjohn(m): 5:08am On Mar 06, 2020
Tewolde Gebremariam u r a very stupid Man.
See excuse.
Chai africa ooo

I just found out that that is one of the major source of income for Ethiopia.
Poverty o

5 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by mitchyy(f): 5:10am On Mar 06, 2020
Is money more important than lives? I hope the travellers from China will be thoroughly screened at least

12 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by GreatResearcher: 5:13am On Mar 06, 2020
Blacks have a disease called infi-complex

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by HacheNoire: 5:14am On Mar 06, 2020
If all the flights are going to Addis Ababa, I have no issue with them.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by ThatFairGuy: 5:15am On Mar 06, 2020
Had it been it's other way round(the outbreak is Africa), the story would have been different. Especially, Chinese government sad

22 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by Nobody: 5:17am On Mar 06, 2020
Abi awon eleyi ti ya werey ni angry
What nonsense something is this? An airline telling a whole country what to do.

Se e ya werey ni Ethiopian 'airlimes'

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by Nobody: 5:17am On Mar 06, 2020
Ass lickers. Black man and low self esteem. If i knack una jazz

9 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by Oluwasaeon(m): 5:27am On Mar 06, 2020
Make una no use una own koba everybody for Africa undecided

4 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by Odinaka00(m): 5:32am On Mar 06, 2020
Ethiopia dey survive through this business so e go hard for them if them stop flights going or coming from China but odikwa risky

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by kristo123: 5:32am On Mar 06, 2020
These people are more concerned about making profits than the safety of the respective countries... Even China that originated the virus has placed a compulsory 14 days quarantine on all foreigners entering their country.

7 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by EgunMogaji2: 5:33am On Mar 06, 2020
While I’m happy for them but I feel sad that Ethiopia, Kenya and Rwanda all have national airlines but we don’t.

4 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by nairaman66(m): 5:45am On Mar 06, 2020
This should be corrected immediately! Which one is limes?? sad

When your employer refuse to pay minimum wage, this is what you get as service delivery!! grin

5 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by just2endowed: 5:48am On Mar 06, 2020
Na waoh
Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by tophumble(m): 6:09am On Mar 06, 2020
This ones av Odechi, nothing dey happen.

When Corona virus visit them they will understand
Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by temptnow: 6:42am On Mar 06, 2020
Oh my Africa why do you always put money first over life

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by Afromentalist: 6:49am On Mar 06, 2020
Well, in this type of situation, it's either you lose money or you lose people. Of course we all would prefer to lose money rather than lose people.

The problem is, without money you will still lose people.

So it is better to lose people and keep the money at least, rather than lose money and still lose people. Ethiopia airlines is very justified.

The African Mentalist.
Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by lyriclekidd(m): 6:52am On Mar 06, 2020
Mumu men
Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by Nobody: 7:01am On Mar 06, 2020
Money first.

Contact me for your procurement from China website 1688,alibaba to Nigeria. i buy Gift cards and airtime for cash. Social media advert/managements blog/website design whatsapp 07081997275
Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by Titilayo56(f): 7:04am On Mar 06, 2020
b4 nko when that is their only source of income, this life we life is now something else

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by cRobo: 7:20am On Mar 06, 2020
Inferiority complex at its peak

I won't say a word
Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by Nickymezor(f): 7:23am On Mar 06, 2020
Na dem sabi.. When they bring it to their country they will sabi watz up
Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by lloyds(m): 7:38am On Mar 06, 2020
Then they must have good plans to all buy coffins very soon.

Idiots! Because of few change of dollars that China is dropping for them.
Re: Coronavirus: Ethiopian Airlimes Says They Have No Plan To Stop China Flights by abimic(m): 7:50am On Mar 06, 2020
Ban flights to and fro from china, anyone with history within the last 14 to 20 days to nations with pending COVID-19 case should be barred too except they're our citizens, but persons' on such flight should be placed in isolation till incubation days when we can tell if any has the virus or not. What's hard in that one? Na naija govt i blame, Premium should be placed on lives because generally, with all these health measures, if Nigeria dare lose guards and it became pandemic, many lives would be lost,, because generally, when it comes to cleanliness, we're as a nation far behind.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Going Through The Immigration Process To Bring Your Nigerian Husband To America / Emirates Restores Flights To Lagos / Canada As A Whole Is Wildly Overrated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.