Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,771 members, 7,802,360 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. (978 Views)

New Auto Section Rule : To All Sellers Posting More Than 3 Adverts Per Day / Matters Arising: Lanre Shittu Motors" / Welcome To New Auto Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. by viperman: 10:26am On Dec 21, 2010
Not trying to be a spoil-sport or anything, But I have a serious problem with this new rule.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-571978.0.html

Moderators,

In as much as this new development is welcome in-order to bring back the days of regular discussions in the auto sections; its imperative that we don't destroy what has made this section a major traffic driver(in terms of new membership).
There's no one that can come here(including seun) to tell me that we had more members back then when we had lots of regular discussions than we have now that we have more sales-centric posts, the auto-section thread history shows it clearly. Its obvious we have a dominant percentage of nigerians on the internet looking for cars to buy than we have looking to discuss about cars/car faults. Hence, he massive numbers of new followership in this auto section is obviously due to this.

Now, the issue is this: lots of people who logon to this forum/website are not so web-savvy; hence, aren't so good at navigating web pages, especially, when the links are small in font-sizes. Even the web-savvy ones fidn it a little tedious sometimes locating useful links on these pages.

Now, that the Adverts/sales posts, which drives membership and visitors, has been [b]tucked-in; I hate to say it, but lots of auto dealers in this section are going to lose potential customers whom are visitors and not full members to the site(as most cases are). Limiting these dealers to 3 posts per day is nice(so other dealers get features, but doesn't make business sense.

If the dealers get discouraged in posting here, this forum dies a natural death.

I'm not a man of problems, but a man of solutions. So since we have a challenge here, i STRONGLY suggest we flip the scenario here:

[size=18pt]The bulk adverts are returned to the main forum where they used to be, and a NEW DISCUSSION SECTION is created for mechanical(faults, parts etc) and industry related topics/discussions. Then in the main forum, all posts by dealers are consolidated into 1 thread e.g like i've done <<HERE>>[/size]
[/b]

You can choose to ignore this, then the months will tell what the days never knew.
Re: New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. by Onwan: 11:45am On Dec 21, 2010
I think it will be proper IF this kind of move is made based on repeated adverts taking up memory space at the website's hosting server level.

It is also possible to fish out repeated adverts and remove them (IF its really a bother - I have not really noticed much of this anyway), what I notice (which is very normal) is that dealers occasionally post a brief message or a reminder on the same thread just to bring it back up.

Looking at the thread inspired_m started back there, in my opinion, its a very wrong move and appears more like a bias (I'm looking at it from the view point that he is a dealer too)

There is nothing like "bulk" auto adverts, we want the whole of Berger online so we can make our choice and at the same time discuss issues relating to vehicles too.

I think the division (which looks like a way of reducing chances of viewers seeing cars advertized by dealers with many cars) removes the whole essence of the Auto section.

If there should be a new sub-board, I think it should be for foreign auction (live), pre-order, right-hand drive and foreign based salvage titled vehicles. That will be innovative and helpful to educate and give intending customers a broader view and variety of non-Nigerian located vehicles.

I think this move should be reconsidered and someone like eghehibor should be allowed to sell and advertise his cars in this section (he has an amazing database of cars at a very competitive pricing too)

For me its a very wrong move.
Re: New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. by BizBooks(m): 11:55am On Dec 21, 2010
@ Viper,

I remember you once created a thread where a number of cars you had for sale were listed. I did something similar when I listed 8 cars in one thread. Fhemmmy has something similar too. But some dealers are not that considerate. They will rather dominate the front page with 20 or 30 ads at one time.

Inspired's idea did not come out of the blues. We have been making that same suggestion for a very long time. It just took Inspired to get it done. Moreover, the front page is not just for mechanical faults and auto discussions. It also includes VIN checks which is one of the greatest drivers of traffic to Nairaland.

Let us give the new system a chance and see what happens.
Re: New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. by viperman: 12:24pm On Dec 21, 2010
Bizbooks,
Getting a new initiative done is one thing; getting it done the right-way is another.
Onwan has given better suggestions than what has been done.
On the average,out of 30 calls I get from nairaland in a week, 18 are from non-members looking to buy cars, 7 members looking to buy cars, 3 calling me to vouch for another dealers authenticity and MAYBE 2 asking about help with their cars fault.

When you raised the topic of us having a separate section for discussions strictly, I was happy and supported it, but not like this.
If we GIVE THIS NEW INITIATIVE A CHANCE, this forum mite not recover from it.

Just convert the BULK section to a discussion forum, and make Sienna, sultaan, onwan or the other discussion gurus the moderator.
The main auto section can then be moderated by monitor_1 & inspired(as long as he doesn't abuse the right).

Simple
Re: New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. by BizBooks(m): 12:39pm On Dec 21, 2010
The Auto Section as it existed before Inspired's intervention was dominated by a few big listers to the detriment of all others. Until we find a solution to that problem, we should stick with the new system.

The main auto section can then be moderated by monitor_1 & inspired(as long as he doesn't abuse the right).

Without coming out and saying so, I suspect some people will feel that making Inspired a moderator is like letting the Fox guard the Chicken house. We know what will happen in that instance - the Fox will eat all the Chicken. But I hope Inspired will be fair to everybody.
Re: New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. by mastro: 1:46pm On Dec 21, 2010
personally I would ban all sales on this main board and have seperate sales sub boards (like most of the forums I frequent), I think this current solution might well work and if it doesn't then there is no reason why things can't revert.

Bottom line this isn't a car sales forum, so i see no reason why car sellers should take priority over everybody else, even as I must confess to directing peope here to look at cars (at least 1 who has brought) and might well buy a car from one of the dealers here myself.

mastro
Re: New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. by viperman: 2:06pm On Dec 21, 2010
Mastro,

Where does it state that this is NOT an auto sales forum?
Re: New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. by Carshopper(m): 2:24pm On Dec 21, 2010
well well well- went thru the "bulk auto section" and noticed dealers/sellers who hve a "huge" collection or listing. well i wld try and give a solution. will take in to discussion "Ebay" where if you check a seller listing you wld also see sumting like " check other listing for dat particular seller" dont know if it cld b too stressful if "bulk ads" can b group under a particular seller/dealer or even if its possible to create that particular dealer "store" where each visitor cn view other stock d dealer/seller has. I hope i dey make sense sha-smiles- i knw its going to b a huge work for administrators-come to think of it na their job to run d administration of this web to almost perfection jo.
Re: New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. by dantitiki(m): 5:28pm On Dec 21, 2010
I also support the NEW rule being bias. There are a lot of better ways it could be done if Brainstormed as this would ONLY benefit a few members.

I also don't see "3 (THREE)" as being a bulk number as far as autos in Nigeria is concerned, and the Bulk adverts thread is soooooo minority placed. "child boards" who's here for childs play??

Kind regards.
Re: New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. by Nobody: 5:40pm On Dec 21, 2010
Buy a car online (www.walexconcepts.com) and have it delivered to your home with our optional delivery service through the US and to Nigeria.
Re: New Auto Sections Rules: Matters Arising. by Tetleyauto(m): 10:44am On Dec 22, 2010
dantitiki:

I also don't see "3 (THREE)" as being a bulk number as far as autos in Nigeria is concerned, and the Bulk adverts thread is soooooo minority placed. "child boards" who's here for childs play??

Kind regards.

Funny but VERY UNFAIR !!!

(1) (Reply)

Super Clean 2009 Toyota Corolla For N2.4m / 02 Honda Accord V6 Toks @aesthetic Auto For 1m Quick Sales SOLD SOLD / 2003 End Of Discusssion EX - Tokunbo - Lower Than The Normal Price - SOLD !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.