Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! (100841 Views)

Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much / How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss / Robot Demoted And Fired At A Supermarket In UK After A Week Of Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by shogsman(m): 3:14pm On Mar 07, 2020
Since I graduated over 8years ago I've only worked in a formal organization for 3weeks,I fired myself when my female boss started sending me silly errands like I was her boy boy,the painful part was that we were age mates, the pay was just 230k monthly,luckily for me they pay on the third week,I texted her as soon as I got alert,the text read ''SARAH WE'RE DONE".
Since then I've ventured into different businesses, now I am my own boss.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Teaser4(m): 3:14pm On Mar 07, 2020
bobowaja:

Mad man. grin

How your side brotherman?
oya boss man... how far na longtime fam... I dey oooo... how's your side too bro
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by philip0906(m): 3:15pm On Mar 07, 2020
Odingo1:

No employer that will pay upto 750k in Naija that will employ the person and testing the person. Job on that salary scale in Nigeria is for experienced professionals.

It is probably online money making that come with commissions. The money is not steady.
Valid! But she clearly stated she's in tech. So it's very possible that these things happened.

The only problem with remote tech jobs, is that there's no job security...except you're working for the established brands.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Dollabiz: 3:16pm On Mar 07, 2020
Ye
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by haaryobhami: 3:16pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:

Shut your dirty mouth if you don't know what you're saying.

You're comparing customer care agent with a full stack engineer or a back/front end engineer? That means you don't even know what you're saying to start with.

Nigerians are doing remote programming jobs for companies in Germany, Estonia, Canada, etc and earn that much and way higher. Some of them are even offered relocation packages and pay is exactly what devs in Germany earn depending on level and skillset.

You probably don't know this because you are even comparing a customer care agent with a dev? You're ridiculous.
I meet tech guy on this nairaland,he stays in Nigeria but he does work for foreign tech company online nd he earns million.
man own a big shopping complex in lag nd still does government job.
I really envy those that went to IT line,I studied a different course nd wish I could still cross or learn tech without having to study it in university cause I'll be leaving this country soon.

money dy tech abeg

16 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by SocialJustice: 3:16pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:

My friend shut your dirty mouth abeg...Leave your ashewo beer parlor mentality for that thread.

Just look at how you're rambling about what you know nothing about. Them dey tell you say programmers dey earn that much amd higher working remote jobs, me thinking you even know anything about tech dey follow you dey discourse, only for you to compare customer service agents with devs...

Clown!!
grin grin iamj mumu and ignorance no get part 2. Poverty and ignorance have totally destroyed some people.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iamJ(m): 3:16pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:

I never said a random employment... you made that up in your head because you didn't just want to believe it.

When you get such jobs, it comes with minimum PC specifications, the PC I had wasn't what they wanted... here's a pic... I hope you believe now
that PC requirement is every PC that exist today

When last did you see a PC without network card or webcam

Not doubting, just pointing out holes in your story
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by modsfucker: 3:16pm On Mar 07, 2020
helinues:
The only job I ever applied for, I resigned 2 months after..

I no fit come and kill myself for one boss

My Nigga

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by TechCapon(m): 3:16pm On Mar 07, 2020
oluwaseyi000:

Why we were fired?
I joined this company last year, few days after finishing my NYSC, they have the highest number of software developers in Africa and I was loving life, the salary is great with breakfast and lunch

They keep on employing so many software engineer with time the engineer become more than the available job, I saw it coming but I don't know what the board was thinking

2. How did the firing process happen?
We have a global (online) meeting which people are asked not to miss, I was not even listening very well to what they are saying, the president said there are more developer than engagement to they have to let some people go, a mail was sent to all impacted people and I discovered what has just happened

Almost 400 people has been fired across Africa

3. Aftermath of being fired… how did you feel, have you recovered, did you get something better?

The company is actually a great one, they brought in pychologist to speak with us, bring in different recruiter, and other stuff, most importantly the payoff was reasonable that I can afford a Mac laptop of almost half-a-million

Luckily for me I got another reasonable job in less than 3 weeks of been retrenched

I always laugh when people complain there is no job in Nigeria, less than 5 month after leaving my previous company I have turned down almost 4 other offers some even paying than my current one

andela I guess. I had a friend who had exact same experience with you. Are you full stack, backend or front end? Which language?
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by angelfallz(m): 3:17pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:
Share your experience with us if you have ever been fired. It would be better if we can share:

1. Why we were fired?
3. Aftermath of being fired… how did you feel, have you recovered, did you get something better?

So, I’ll start:

Sometimes last year, I got an unbelievable offer (well above #750k) at a remote company. I bought a PC, subscribed for large data and set-up a workspace. On Monday which was resumption day, I turned on my PC, logged in and started the online meeting… everything went well for the first day and I got introduced to my colleagues. My friend and I actually got employed for same position, so we usually chatted while working. To be onboarded, we had to install a productivity monitoring tool on our PCs, we were told everything we did on the PC would be captured if the tool was turned ON but I really don’t know why I cared less.

On Wednesday same week, we had a short and simple test, during the test, I asked my friend for an answer as I wasn’t so sure, he responded and that was it.

On Thursday, I had a quick one-on-one call with my manager, I was fired. Apparently, I wasn’t supposed to ask for assistance while taking the test. I apologized but the answer was a straight NO (you sabi how oyinbo people strict). So in other words, I was sacked because I cheated ☹.

Well, they paid me for the few days I worked �

I have experienced other sad situations, but this has to be the worst. I was so depressed, the following Sunday, I went to Church and it was while Pastor asked us to greet our neighbor, I remembered I didn’t brush… LMAO.

Now, I got something with abit lesser pay but still very chilled grin

How can I get hired. What's the name of the company?
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iamJ(m): 3:17pm On Mar 07, 2020
SocialJustice:
grin grin iamj mumu and ignorance no get part 2. Poverty and ignorance have totally destroyed some people.
my fans are here

Should I sign this comment?
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Dar4(m): 3:18pm On Mar 07, 2020
orunmila144:
YOUDONEMINIT

I HAVE NEVER BEEN FIRED. I ALWAYS FIRE MYSELF. WHEN I FEEL STRESSED I STOP COMING TO WORK. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A LOUSY JOB KEEPER. I dont think i was created to be an employee

Exactly this is me. Thank God being employed is never the only easy way to make money

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by CokeBar(f): 3:18pm On Mar 07, 2020
Odingo1:

Now you are talking of alert which is not a steady money . Online money goes up and down.

Shut up! are you the one that will tell me how my "online money" is... he confidently said "online money goes up and down".

How can $15/hr go up and down? did I tell you I wanted to show you in Naira?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iamJ(m): 3:18pm On Mar 07, 2020
angelfallz:

How can I get hired. What's the name of the company?
Bishop oluwole nigeria limited

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by angelfallz(m): 3:18pm On Mar 07, 2020
Roadtoyesterday:
We started the work as a field agent sometime last year, it was a telecommunications work (MTN 4G upgrade) I was still in my final year in school when I joined. 4 months into the job I was made the supervisor, when I became the supervisor, I notice the agents were been short changed, in terms of benefits and payments, I tried working on the irregularities but it bounced back to me, gbam I was fired for lodging a complaint on the delayed salaries of the workers.

A. Month after, my depth profile became so high, I was the one supporting my family and sponsoring my junior ones. I hate myself for trying to be holier than thou while at work. Till this moment, I've not gained myself. I've lost everything. At this point I can only hope God sees my heart and reward me if truly God support good decision.

You did the right thing. Don't regret it.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 3:19pm On Mar 07, 2020
oluwaseyi000:
Why we were fired?
I joined this company last year March, they have the highest number of software developers I'm Africa and I was loving life, the salary is great with breakfast and lunch

They keep on employing so many software engineer with time the engineer become more than the available job, I saw it coming but I don't know what the board was thinking

We have a global (online) meeting which people are asked not to miss, I was not even listening very well to what they are saying, the president said there are more developer than engagement to they have to let some people go, a mail was sent to all impacted people and I discovered what has just happened

The company is actually a great one, they brought in pychologist to speak with us, bring in different recruiter, and other stuff, most importantly the payoff was reasonable that I can afford a Mac laptop of almost half-a-million

Luckily for me I got another reasonable job in less than 3 weeks of been retrenched

Hi. What line of job are you into, please? I'm just starting out that phase, I'd use some help.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by CokeBar(f): 3:20pm On Mar 07, 2020
iamJ:
that PC requirement is every PC that exist today

When last did you see a PC without network card or webcam

Not doubting, just pointing out holes in your story
corei7 is every PC that exist today?

Okay sir... I believe I have tried to help you out of your ignorance.

Enjoy the rest of your day. smiley

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iamJ(m): 3:20pm On Mar 07, 2020
What service can a remote operator offer a company that is worth 24k dollars a year

Police in America dey collect 28k

Reason am
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iamJ(m): 3:22pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:

enjoy your day is a pointless expression

I don't need your blessings to enjoy my day

Ure the restless one throwing insults and promising to post account statements

Look at a mirror and recite that prayer to yourself

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Olalekank(m): 3:22pm On Mar 07, 2020
Okpa042:

Go and buy beans tasks abi . We've been there
Nope, not really

It's a tech internship
They never send the interns to go buy anything
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Starz825(m): 3:22pm On Mar 07, 2020
oluwaseyi000:

Why we were fired?
I joined this company last year, few days after finishing my NYSC, they have the highest number of software developers in Africa and I was loving life, the salary is great with breakfast and lunch

I always laugh when people complain there is no job in Nigeria, less than 5 month after leaving my previous company I have turned down almost 4 other offers some even paying than my current one

U have got skills that's why...
Me self gas learn... I'm presently on Android studio...for app developer
Bro...the online classes boring but I gas push
Abeg bro tell me more abt aw to move...I need offline lectures
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Olalekank(m): 3:23pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:

Hey!
Recent CS graduate here

I wanna send a PM
Is it fine by you?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by CokeBar(f): 3:24pm On Mar 07, 2020
Please, my initial topic was "Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience!"

I don't know why the MODs changed it.

Also, I am not responding to any PM... I expected people to share their experiences.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iamJ(m): 3:25pm On Mar 07, 2020
He they mention version

The different between core i5 and I7 isnt enough to make a difference for a remote online operator
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by NovusHomo(m): 3:25pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:
Share your experience with us if you have ever been fired. It would be better if we can share:

1. Why we were fired?

So, I’ll start:

Sometimes last year, I got an unbelievable offer (well above #750k) at a remote company. I bought a PC, subscribed for large data and set-up a workspace. On Monday which was resumption day, I turned on my PC, logged in and started the online meeting… everything went well for the first day and I got introduced to my colleagues. My friend and I actually got employed for same position, so we usually chatted while working. To be onboarded, we had to install a productivity monitoring tool on our PCs, we were told everything we did on the PC would be captured if the tool was turned ON but I really don’t know why I cared less.

On Wednesday same week, we had a short and simple test, during the test, I asked my friend for an answer as I wasn’t so sure, he responded and that was it.

On Thursday, I had a quick one-on-one call with my manager, I was fired. Apparently, I wasn’t supposed to ask for assistance while taking the test. I apologized but the answer was a straight NO (you sabi how oyinbo people strict). So in other words, I was sacked because I cheated ☹.

Well, they paid me for the few days I worked �

I have experienced other sad situations, but this has to be the worst. I was so depressed, the following Sunday, I went to Church and it was while Pastor asked us to greet our neighbor, I remembered I didn’t brush… LMAO.

Now, I got something with abit lesser pay but still very chilled grin

You CHEATED, you piece of ish!
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iamJ(m): 3:26pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:
Please, my initial topic was "Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience!"

I don't know why the MODs changed it.

Also, I am not responding to any PM... I expected people to share their experiences.
reverse psychology

If you know, you know

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Olalekank(m): 3:26pm On Mar 07, 2020
Lol
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Starz825(m): 3:26pm On Mar 07, 2020
nairalee:
I've never been sacked but I've lost a good job opportunity. It's over 2 years now but I still think about it EVERY BLESSED DAY
Ur loss is a blessing in disguise for you...forget about it and move on...you will be fine...I had one too last yr...but I believe God has a purpose
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by angelfallz(m): 3:27pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:

Shut your dirty mouth if you don't know what you're saying.

You're comparing customer care agent with a full stack engineer or a back/front end engineer? That means you don't even know what you're saying to start with.

Nigerians are doing remote programming jobs for companies in Germany, Estonia, Canada, etc and earn that much and way higher. Some of them are even offered relocation packages and pay is exactly what devs in Germany earn depending on level and skillset.

You probably don't know this because you are even comparing a customer care agent with a dev? You're ridiculous.
Must you resort to insults to make your point?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by philip0906(m): 3:27pm On Mar 07, 2020
iamJ:
What service can a remote operator offer a company that is worth 24k dollars a year

Police in America dey collect 28k

Reason am
Your ignorance, no get part 2.

From comparing Customer care agents to Devs, you just didn't stop your folly there, you're now comparing American police with fullstack/front/back end engineers.

You're a bloody clown. The fact that you're even confident in your clowning around, is even more ridiculous.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by philip0906(m): 3:28pm On Mar 07, 2020
angelfallz:

Must you resort to insults to make your point?
You well? Did I quote you at any point? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by CokeBar(f): 3:28pm On Mar 07, 2020
NovusHomo:

You CHEATED, you piece of ish!

Awwwn, thank you for your kind words.

I actually learnt from my mistake action. smiley

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (29) (Reply)

Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers / Salary Range Of Microfinance Bank Workers / Sacked Chicken Republic Dancers At A University In Cyprus (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.