Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,516 members, 7,801,365 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 (3146 Views)

3 Sharp Ways To Achieve Your Career Goals In 2016 / A Proven Way To Achieve Your Goals / Positive Thoughts To Help You Achieve Your Goals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by yodiyokun(f): 3:39pm On Dec 21, 2010
2010 has been a good year for me career-wise.

I had lots of goals this year; from changing my career to improving my leadership and people skills.

I am far from achieving those goals, but I know for a fact that this has been one of the best years of my career so far.

The best thing I did for myself this year was self enroll in a leadership course for women migrants at Rothmans school of Mgt. It's been a life saver for me and I have experienced personal growth.

My self-awareness has increased exponentially, I can now work on managing my weaknesses and building on value. I am not there yet, far from it but I have somewhat of a direction.

There is still a long way to go to accumulating value and being an asset, but I will get there.

So how have you fared with your own goals. Do share.

Yodi
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by AjanleKoko: 6:17pm On Dec 21, 2010
Hmm . . .

On the career front, I've been a line manager for almost seven years now, and am kind of on that plateau where career growth has slowed considerably. You know, the 'great gulf' between senior management and executive management, where you have to wait for an opportunity to get a shot at the next level. So what I am doing right now is utilizing my time wisely, while I wait for the right opportunity. 2010 wasn't such a bad year in that respect.

Stuff I planned to do in 2010: I told myself at the beginning of the year that I was going to pursue a finance qualification, and I started on the road to that, and should pick up the momentum very strongly in 2011.

I had a lot of fun managing my team, delegating and growing their personal competencies, as well as enhancing their exposure to important projects. The response was pretty good from them, in fact: Virtually everyone on my team is pursuing a postgraduate qualification, at my prompting. Next year I will sponsor two people in my team to get certified in our team's core competency as a performance incentive.
Unfortunately I couldn't get my company to send me to MIT or Harvard for one of those SMPs grin will try again next year though. wink

On a personal note, in 2010 I planned to kick-start some personal projects in the entrepreneural space, which I did.
The start has been quite bumpy, but I learnt how to revise my expectations and focus on the future. All positive though. I still closed on a high.
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by Jibson999(m): 11:18am On Dec 22, 2010
im not yet hooked up on any career stuff but i wont lie GOD answered my prayer this year and i'm soo happy.kuld have been frustrated cos ive been aiming for this for d past three years and when i least expected, it just happened
wish everyone a prosperous new year in advance
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by dandollar1: 11:29am On Dec 22, 2010
I wish God would answer my prayers and give me a career as an engineer in oil and gas this coming year.thats my greatest desire
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by chatom143: 11:58am On Dec 22, 2010
All praise goes to God, in my career as a student,and l have being able to undersand my self better, than then. Expect more in 2010
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by fizzybaba(m): 1:03pm On Dec 22, 2010
i didn nuttin career wise--is M.SC a career something?, lol

next year, i am planning CFA/CISA /CIS but confused though
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by oilfielden(m): 1:09pm On Dec 22, 2010
Married,Had my wife deliver overseas,my life time dream for my children as I did not get international Identity from parents.(Not their fault anyway),change a new job,managing SSA with oil and gas company. All in 2010.We thank God for his blessing and mercy.
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 22, 2010
[b]I decided to go beyond been just another graduate to becoming more professionally tuned.
Besides running A'ASOG Nig Ltd (A Construction & Real Estate Company) with a crew I put together, I didnt regret going for my NIPR Public Relations certification, but I just did my final exams and hopefully I would get my license by Jan or Feb. next year.
I did another program down at BEEC Business Examination Council, result will come out great next year, hopefully.
I am also enrolled in LASU (currently been processed), gunning for an extra degree, and I have the desire to gun for Institute of Marketing training and certs come 2011.
Its been a transforming year, but the challenges are extremely steep financially, that sometimes, I wonder if the excruciating stress is worth it; but well, its all about making a decision and taking action.
Im fast approaching 30, its an age that terrifies me. I dont want to clock the third decade of my life packing around a "commom" CV, and low experience, so I move for the exotic and extra-ordinary.
I hope to read more challenging achievement true stories on this thread, bring it on wink
[/b]
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by Zi: 2:29pm On Dec 22, 2010
I'v still got 9days to go!
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by Zi: 2:30pm On Dec 22, 2010
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by linsa01(m): 2:49pm On Dec 22, 2010
Well, 2010 has been 1daful 4 me. I finished my degree program dis yr(even wit target grade). Though, i tought i'd be in service by now bt postponed till feb.2011,this year has been a yr of discovery 4 me carrier wise and my goals are table b4 God for accomplishment in 2011. I'm set for the challenges in dis coming yr 'cos the foundations have been layed in 2010.
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by McCoy91(m): 3:34pm On Dec 22, 2010
Career-wise? Ok, I shelved plans on being a rapper. I'm good (though I say so myself) but am too short and a pimple farmer. Focused on school, happy dad.
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by AjanleKoko: 5:15pm On Dec 22, 2010
oilfielden:

Married,Had my wife deliver overseas,my life time dream for my children as I did not get international Identity from parents.(Not their fault anyway)

Bros,
Na Career goals dem ask for, not life goals undecided
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by Odunnu: 6:36pm On Dec 22, 2010
After failing a course, I missed out on my plans.
All thesame,twas only delayed for a few months. I'm on track to rectify my 'setback'
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by MeGaStReEt: 6:46pm On Dec 22, 2010
It could have been better, but, I thank God for his mercy
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by Kaponanty(m): 7:38pm On Dec 22, 2010
(Alhamdu lilah roblihalamina) 2010 is a year of great achievement 4 me, by gained admission 2 university.
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by tollu: 8:18am On Dec 23, 2010
Nopes. But then like Zi said;

Zi:

Only it's down to eight now.
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by Viviacious: 8:58am On Dec 23, 2010
2010 was a good year. I changed jobs and became a Manager at another firm. The money isnt that great but at least I know it was a step in the right direction. I was able to finaly take a stand and attend PMP lectures. Preparing for the exams now which I intend to take by the first quater of next year God willing. So career-wise, not a bad year at all. Could have been better, at the same time I could have been worse. So I thank God for everything. Next stop, another professional qualification! Seasons greetings eevryone!!!!
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by tiwantiwa: 9:02am On Dec 23, 2010
Uhmm, 2010 , i used the low level of activity in my industry to fire up my post grad . i got promoted but i am getting sick of doing the same thing i need to move ,
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by hollars(m): 9:24am On Dec 23, 2010
not much sha! but i served this year and i bought a car so i thank God, 2011 would be a year for career developmentby God's grace
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by NewHere(m): 10:03am On Dec 23, 2010
God has been faithful, Finished service this march, got a job in my dream coy (Oil & Gas coy as a Data Administrator/Custodian), as if that was not enough, i got certified as a Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA). Believing God for next year, on getting more IT Certifications and PMP. I'm lifted.
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by Martmore: 10:05am On Dec 23, 2010
Well i thank God for 2011.Although i wasn't that a good boy in the eyes of the lord, he saw me through during my Industrial Training
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by Agbo2(m): 10:30am On Dec 23, 2010
For me, 2009 was better cos I was able to change my job and the salary much better than I was earning.
However, I checked my ICAN result today, I failed the only paper stopping me from being a chartered accountant - again.
I feel very bad considering all my effort and sacrifices and the thought that I am carrying this hurdle into 2011 when I already set new goals for the new year.
I give thanks to God all the same ,
HALLELUYAH!!!
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by iice(f): 12:09pm On Dec 23, 2010
Good and bad. I got more freedom and yet not so much freedom undecided
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by MrCork3: 12:12pm On Dec 23, 2010
well i an gots a woman yet angry
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by larryhomie(m): 2:17pm On Dec 23, 2010
Not really, did pretty well but hoping to do far better than i can even imagine in 2011. What about you?
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by ekusman(m): 2:29pm On Dec 23, 2010
To me the year has been exciting , because i was doing what i love and getting payed for it unlike the year before it that i struggled through. so i think i am almost there.
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by PStacks(m): 4:46pm On Dec 23, 2010
Men. i just feel i'm in a mine of wealth ending 2010. i know for sure that any mine i step on from now would be just to blow. imagine having over six ways you can generate wealth exponentially and still trying to be calculative about all your options. made some mistakes in the past and trying to work more organised so there would be no stories. would start out with my CFA certification. (certified finanacial analyst) still eyeing at the PMP.
Not a bad year in all.
in all,
luk back with gratitude,
luk forward with hope,
luk up wit assurance
nd you'ild see 2011 singing
'it is well with ur soul'.
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by adaphik(f): 5:33pm On Dec 23, 2010
Its really not been bad, career wise this year. Cos it has taught me a lot abt my field, I believe d coming year would be an improvement on what has happened this year.
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 23, 2010
2010 was the year I finally decided to do away with any extra paper certifications and take the deep dive into the entrepreneurial space.
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by netotse(m): 12:35am On Dec 24, 2010
Hmmm. . .did i achieve my goals?

I decided not to go for a PG this year and stay back and work in naija. . .expected to gain experience and begin the process of becoming a bad guy in my field.

On the Job front, was able to secure a job (with abysmal benefits) shortly after service, the experience(or more correctly, potential for experience) seemed to make up for the terrible terms of service, I started to learn a lot then the learning curve started to regress drastically.

So in terms of knowledge, nope i dont know as much as i would've liked to know(good thing is i'm aware of areas where i fall short.)

In terms of contacts n my chosen field, hell yeah cheesy. . .I i'm starting to develop a network of senior colleagues i can whine to/ask for advice(poor them right? grin), i'm learning to take advantage of other people's experiences too. . .

Personally, i've learnt(still learning) to be more realistic in my expectations/evaluation of events and people, I'm becoming a better, more stable and focused individual. . .

Got a new job so the new year holds a lot of promise.

[size=5pt]P.S. i'm still single. . .*sob* *sob* *sob*[/size]
Re: Did You Achieve Your Career Goals In 2010 by yodiyokun(f): 6:06pm On Dec 24, 2010
netotse:

In terms of contacts n my chosen field, hell yeah cheesy. . .I i'm starting to develop a network of senior colleagues i can whine to/ask for advice(poor them right? grin), i'm learning to take advantage of other people's experiences too. . .

[size=5pt]P.S. i'm still single. . .*sob* *sob* *sob*[/size]

Seriously, networking and developing those crucial relationships can be far better rewarding than piling certifications and getting one degree after the next. Not that I am saying studying isn't important. I have realised that seeking and getting a good mentor can make your trip to your destinations far far shorter. So cultivate those relationships and also give as well don't be a receiver only.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Talentstone Interview 2014; (old Mutual Nigeria) / Huawei Is Harrassing Staff To Sign Oath! / Oil Rig Worker Career Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.