Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,792 members, 7,798,670 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

Man Eater By A Henry Complete - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Man Eater By A Henry Complete (577 Views)

My Name Is John Dare Henry - THE END / The Adventurers By Henry Ayodeji (Book Review) / Killing A Sidechick By A Henry complete (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 7:44pm On Mar 09, 2020
Chapter One

Elu, a large and lively village surrounded by dense jungles and few rivers, connected to its neighboring villages by small and large forest paths scattered all round , easily connectable by all other villages , its described as a hub for all sorts of business and commerce.
With Hunting the primary profession of many , its fertile soil and numerous paths that connects it with the remaining villages also provides a good means for farming and trading by all .

History did have records of wars between the people of Elu and many neighboring villages who shared boundaries with It from time to time over various issues among such was Obosara, another village which for the longest time severed any connection between both villages also the undesirable methods y which succession by the preexisting royal families over the years which has led to whole generations completely wiped out of history through unscrupulous means but for the longest time now Elu remains a safe and quite peaceful Village.

Today however marks seventh day of mourning for the people of Elu , having lost their King ,King Odum Achike the third to a brief illness as the customary mourning period which last for 2weeks is in session , there is however uncertainty about who is to succeed him, whilst King Odum does in fact have an only son prince Ihunna from his only wife Queen Akuada , his age and ability to run the affairs of the village is called into question barely fourteen and inexperienced at that, the juvenile may in fact be deemed unfit to rule and the mantle passed on to someone else within the royal family, the rumors grow by the day as News spread of the long awaited return of Prince Ikenna , the twin brother of King Odum.

“The Gods forbid it , it’s a lie”
Mama Chisimdi replied vehemently brushing her hands on her thighs as she and her friend Ijeawele walk back home from the stream that cold morning.

“I am telling you , If the news we are hearing is true , then we must accept the fact that he is only coming for the crown , by right you know he among all has the biggest claim to the throne if I am not mistaken”
Ijeawele continued much to the displeasure of her friend.
“Ijeawele what are you saying , don’t you know the winds have ears , why would you say such a thing , its impossible , the elders will not pick Prince Ikenna over Prince Ihunna , so you know our late King was crowned same age as his son is and also you forget that Prince Ikenna hasn’t been around for over Eighteen years now ….”

She paused hissed and spat on the ground vehemently and the continued.

“…do you think the elders will willingly give up the crown to someone who left his father’s land to be with his mother’s people , do you think the elders will prefer their own king’s son to someone who has lived all his life in Obosara ehn?”

Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 7:46pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

She asked quite ready to launch on her friend’s next reply.
“Well I don t know about that , we all know why he left for his mother’s land , its no news among the people anyway oh…”
Ijeawele paused having reached a junction which separates both friends’ paths.

“..let me go and attend to my family but what we should not forget is that there are other people who would like to get their hands on the crown as well”

Ijeawele made her move quickly abandoning her friend who she knew was already calling her back to try and ask for more information, this way she is able to secure a small victory over her friend and leave much to wonder on the matter.

Few kilometers away , the late king’s palace stands at the heart of the village, there is however preparation on going for the arrival of Prince Ihunna as commanded by the heir apparent , Ogemdi the Palace custodian ; a job that has been passed from his generation downwards and one he hopes to pass down to his own son, ensures everything is in order from renovation to ongoing maintenance work , he ensures the servants are up and doing like he has done for the last sixty nine years of his active life.

“My lord, the Queen mother has asked for your presence immediately”
Ejiofo , the Queen’s personal bodyguard said authoritatively before both walked back to the queen’s court where the queen was waited , seated in her garden.

“My queen, you sent for me”
Ogemdi said lowering his head before her presence.

“My lord,you need not always lower yourself when we speak , this I have said severally , you are like a father to the royal family you know”
She said with a smile , truly the old man had stuck around the royal house far longer than anyone ,he had been around when the his husband and his brother had been born , even when she was still a young maiden who came with her father , a Chief of the royal palace , somehow she liked and respected the man whose service never for once was ever called to question just like his father’s before him.
“My queen , its only proper that I always pay my respect to every member of the royal family”

He said cheerfully like he always do.
“My lord , I wish to know why the royal servants are maintaining and cleaning up the servants at a time like this , if I am not mistaken this is only done in terms of a feast or celebration”
She replied.

“I am very sorry My queen, I had initially thought Prince Ihunna had informed you last night just as he sent me the orders, he asked that we prepare the palace in anticipation of the return of Prince Ikenna”
He replied gently.
“Really , did he give such orders?”

She asked again , a mild smile appeared on her cheeks, it was quite a thoughtful move to get the palace in order , one she herself hadn’t thought of yet.

“Oh yes, he did my queen , if you would permit me to say something else my queen..”
“Please go on”

“I think the young prince will indeed make a great king just like his father did”
“Thank you very much for your kind words my lord , you may return back to your work now”

She said again with a smile , truly his son may indeed make a fine king but then there were still a lot of things that troubled her mind , one which is at the top of her worries was the return of her late husband’s twin brother who happens to have equal rights to the throne as did her son, why was he returning back after such a long period, would he cause trouble for her and her son , what really was his motives. although while it seemed unlikely that the elders would choose him over her son , their inability to trust the affairs of the village to a fourteen year old could force their hand but then had it not been roughly same age her own husband ascended the throne , why would this time be different she wondered.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 7:48pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

“Ejiofo, have you seen my brother so far?”
She asked.
“yes my queen , he is attending a meeting with the chiefs on behalf of the prince as we speak”
“ Oh that’s really good and the prince himself ?”
“My queen , he is in his chambers resting, shall I go get him for you?”
He asked.

“Oh no don’t worry about that , I will see him soon enough”
The queen replied with a smile , things seem to moving steady for now , with her Brother’s help Ekelemchi , a respected chief and top figure among the chiefs , her son’s path to the throne was certain, though there was a lot to do , convincing all chiefs to support his son’s claim would be tough but she felt good about , Prince Ihunna under the tutelage of her brother over the past weeks right from her husband’s period of illness to his death and burial has been an impressive feat and a feather to his son’s cap in his quest to succeed his father.
Far awhile from the king’s palace right into one of Elu’s forest and a favorite for every hunter due to the increase of games found there , Azu the hunter and his friend go deeper in search for a big score after a day and a half with no luck ; a phenomenal which is very uncommon for such forest.

“this is very strange, very strange I say”
His friend said in disbelief as they went deeper , their Dane guns steady in their hands.
“if it was Ahurah , I will believe there is scarcity , I will even believe the animals have finally parked their loads and relocated , I will believe we have hunted everything there is to hunt their but not this forest , hah the gods forbid it!”

Replied Azu obviously frustrated and angry , it was the second consecutive day without a good game for him to take back home and with a family of five to feed and his primary source of income bent on whatever he brought home from his hunts , it was critical that he lands a good game today or risk going home with nothing.
“Azu we should return back now , I have ran out of oil in my lamp and this is the farthest I have ever gone, we go further and we wont be able to make It to the village before sun set”
His friend reminded him.

“Maybe you can but I cant , my family depends on this game and I am not about to go home empty handed after spending a whole day in here”
Azu replied quite decisive about his choice much to displeasure of his friend.

“well Azu, I have to go now , definitely the traps we laid would have caught some bush meats over the night that would have to do for me, you can have the little oil I have for your lantern , I have to be on my way now”

His friend replied.
“you can keep your oil , I still have some reserve luckily ehm but since you are on your way , can you help me drop my share at my house , I don’t know if eventually I will make it back today”
Azu responded back.

“Okay I will but Azu please be careful okay , this forest is still uncharted territory even for the most skilled hunters , no one has actually gone through the forest so please be careful , if we have no game today there will always be a next time”

Hi friend beckoned on him to return with him much to Azu’s disapproval who jokingly talks it away , he is soon left alone afterward by his friend who retreats back whilst he continues to go deeper, who knows today might be his lucky day.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 7:49pm On Mar 09, 2020
Chapter Two

At the early hour of the next day , Ejiofo rushed in to see the queen and who was in the company of her Brother and the young prince , news had met him about the unnoticed presence of the Prince Ikenna in Elu,though he hadn’t believe but once the village town crier carried the news verified the news he thought it wise to let the royal family no at once.

“My prince , My Queen and Chief Ekelemchi I bring news about the return of prince Ikenna”
He said as soon as he took a bow before them.
“News, what news is that?”
The Queen mother asked.

“It has been confirmed that Prince Ikenna has been in the village and is up and about visiting the chiefs of the land..”
“..behind our back?”
Chief Ekelemchi said quite irritated by the audacity of the prince.
“Mother , is that really a bad thing , surely he must have a reason for doing that”

Prince Ihunna said quite uncertain about his uncle’s outburst.
“My prince, while you could be right about this, I think its definitely strange as to why he would want to go visiting the chiefs first before coming to the palace, I mean does he mean to say the chiefs are more important to him than his family?”

She said almost to herself.
“My Queen , My prince I must take my leave immediately if you will allow me , I am not sure of this move by the prince but I intend to find out what plans he has…..”
He halted as another royal guard rushes in bearing news of the prince’s presence in the palace.
“he is here?”

Chief Ekelemchi asked quite uncertain of what to do further.
“Mother , Uncle we must go welcome , give Ogemdi the order to begin the feast immediately”
The young prince said quite anxious to see his late father’s twin brother , one who he had never see but only had stories of from his father and many others.

They all made their way to the royal court where they were told Prince Ikenna was, and there he was truly , dressed in a rather different attire than what the royal house is known for ,he was in every way identical to his father but his appearance showed more of someone who may have lived a different life from that expected of a prince.
Before any of them had had the chance to say anything , Prince Ikenna bowed his head before them to greet them.

“My prince, queen mother , chief Ekelemchi its indeed an honor to be in your presence , I say a very big thank for letting me stand before you, Its however painful that I come at such a time when the royal family are still in mourning over my brother , the late king , I am deeply sorry for not making it down during the burial rites and procession I myself had fallen ill to a strange
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 7:51pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

illness as well , its with great care from the best medicine man I could get that boosted my recover hence my presence before you”
He said calmly before them.

“Thank you very much Uncle , we have been expecting your arrival once you sent the messenger down to let us know of your imminent arrival , please we have arranged a little feast for you”
The crown prince said happily.

“While I would like to thank you for that , I cannot accept such offer at a time like this when we should be mourning my late brother , I believe a feast at a time like this is a sacrilege but thank you for thinking of me as worthy of such , I have performed Alum already and…”
“you performed Alum , why if I may ask , Alum is the rites performed for our people who were born outside the Elu and wish to be recognized here , so what was the need for such?”
Chief Ekelemchi asked.

“oh yes while that’s true, if you know the traditions as well as you should , you should also remember alum can if preferred can be performed for people who have been far away from Elu , if I remember our great grandfather during the wars performed this same rites after sixteen years away from the land , I merely saw it fit to perform such once I got the go ahead from the chiefs and Achiga the mouth piece of the gods”

Prince Ikenna replied.
“Ehmm you are welcome back my lord, I personally saw to it that your court was renovated and cleaned up , I am sure you are going to like it.”
Queen Akuada said changing the topic entirely.

“Oh that’s quite wonderful Queen Akuada but I have made arrangements for a place to stay for now , you must forgive me my audacity to refuse your kind gestures towards me , it’s just that where I have lived all my life now , I have lived as just a simple and ordinary man , royalty really feels new once more to me, I will in time return to the palace once I get accustomed to such but for now I wish to live outside the palace walls if you don’t mind”

Prince Ikenna replied , whilst it did come as a surprise to all it was however chief Ekelemchi who would have none of what he thought was a show of rudeness to the royal family.

“That’s not done , that has never been heard of before , what would do the people think when they hear that a royal prince is living outside the palace , it’s a taboo and cannot be allowed …”

He paused and turned his attention to the crown prince , prince Ihunna.
“..my prince surely you wont be allow this , its unheard of …”

“..ehmm actually it is not , if traditions still stand which I know they do chief Ekelemchi , then you would know that once a heir has been chosen among the kings children , the others by tradition are allowed to live the palace or stay if they want , in fact tradition deems me less of royalty once it was decided that my brother will ascend the throne , I can assure you the people will think nothing of this”

“We will not allow this , you are our guest here it doenst matter still , your place is here with us at the royal palace , that you must understand”

Chief Ekelemchi said impatiently.
“No , its okay uncle if you chose to stay outside the palace, my only request is that you always come around to see us , me especially”
The young prince said.

“I am grateful my prince for your hospitality and kind gestures , there are so many people I would like to see within the palace especially Uncle Ogemdi , please if you don’t mind , I would like to see the old man now”
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 7:53pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

Prince Ikenna said with a smile , Ogemdi had been one of many people he had thought of on his way back , a father figure to him and his brother while they both grew up , he did take them both as his sons as well and now he was back he hoped to see how age had treated him all these years.

“Please you may do as you please uncle , this is also your home and if you don’t mind I would like to hear know about you , father used to tell me a lot about you uncle”

The young prince said excitedly.
“Did he ever tell you how bad he was at Akuso and how many times he lost his dinner to me?”

Prince Ikenna said with a smile on his face , indeed his childhood memories were fun for the most times .
“I am sure we can talk a lot about while you show me around the palace , I almost cant remember much about this place”
He said anxiously , his offer was well received as both Uncle and cousin walk away with the guards leaving the queen mother and her brother alone to discuss more.

“I don’t like him , I know this is all just a ploy for him, I must go speak with the chiefs immediately”

Chief Ekelemchi said in a low tone to his sister before he also took his leave, the queen stood there for some minutes , he didn’t look any bit as someone who was interested in the crown but this too could be part of some grand plan, he hadn’t been around when his brother was buried he may have had good reason but why now , after good eighteen years , why the sudden reappearance when talks of her son’s succession was up in the air , she gave a sigh and decided to not bother herself over this anymore because in due time , his true intention will be revealed for all.

As days flew by news of the Prince Ikenna was received by all with mixed reactions yet it was however the tally of people who were beginning to disappear in Elu’s forests that was beginning to make the waves , from the first incident reported by Azu the hunter who came home three days after going for hunting to find out his friend never returned back to another hunter and his son and just yesterday two days after the arrival of prince Ikenna , a young maiden had been found clawed to death by a nearby stream by an unknown animal , rumors quickly spread about an unknown wild animal that has a preference for human flesh , that has found a home in Elu’s forest.

Today the issue is set to be discussed by the heir to the throne and his chiefs within the royal court where all meetings are held , although whilst Chief Ekelemchi had offered to take care of the meeting , Prince Ihunna had insisted to put up a present.

“Uncle , if I am to ascend the throne surely I would have to sit with the chiefs to delete on issues like this , the thought that our forest is becoming unsafe for us all is troubling “

He had made his opinion known as they both joined the other chiefs at the court, it was barely five minute into the minute before Prince Ikenna and the chief priest of Elu, Achiga had walked in and for a brief moment , a mild chatter filled the court house.
“Uncle ,Wise one, it’s good to see you all here with us “
Prince Ihunna said.

“While we are all pleased so to say of your arrival Prince Ikenna , I am not certain of why you are present at a meeting such as this”
Chief Ekelmechi said beckoning on the other chiefs for certainty as to while Pirnce Ikenna was at the gathering.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 7:54pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

“My lords in order not for the seeds of discord be planted amongst us this morning where issues that concern the lives and safety of our people I saw it fit to come along , to listen and to share my opinions as well and as traditions will have it , it is however a choice for the royal family to attend meetings such as this , while he or she does not participate in the decision making aspects of such meeting he can contribute and learn …”
He paused and gave a reassuringly smile to everyone and then continued .

“..and as such I took it upon myself to go see Achiga , the mouth piece for the gods themselves and beg him to come along, if I can remember that wooden chair over there..”

Pointing to a vacant wooden chair quite different from the others.
“..is the seating place for the chief priest of the land , something my father and his father’s saw fit whenever there was a royal meeting of such importance as this , his wisdom and experience in matters has served us time and time again, I believe I am speaking the truth here my chiefs”

“yes indeed”
One said.
“that’s true and thoughtful”
Another said.

And hence everyone had all taken their seat as the meeting began finally with chief Ekelemchi giving the opening speech.
“My lords, it has come to notice of the royal family that there has been some happenings within Elu and its forest , there are rumors of wild animals roaming around and taking up our people , this I believe we all know …”
“Am sorry to cut you off , Chief Ekelemchi there is something I do have to seriously point out”
Prince Ikenna said , as the other chiefs looked on.
“what is it , what is so important you couldn’t allow me finish my speech”

Chief Ekelemchi asked quite confused.
“Well my fellow chiefs , I understand the young prince weeks from now we be succeed the throne and as I have heard he has started to take on responsibilities f the throne right from the point my brother fell ill, if I remember never has it been the job of a chief to give the opening speech for a royal meeting, if we do not give the young prince the chance to show his ability to contribute effectively to meetings such as this when else can we?”

Prince Ikenna asked , again a mild chatter ensured shortly among the chiefs.
“what, how dare you call me a mere chief , I am not only the brother of the queen but also was king odum’s royal adviser as I am to the heir apparent”
Chief Ekelemchi replied angrily.

“Ehm , my chiefs ,as I among you , I chief Eze personally think Prince Ikenna is right on this , it’s the duty of the heir apparent to open the floor as traditions demands, I believe I speak for the rest of us too”
Chief Eze declared as many of the chiefs nodded in agreement.
“I am sorry Chie Ekelemchi , if you feel I belittle your importance but they say If one tells of the place where the rain met him , he is given a palce to warm up by the fire , I believe this is for the good of the future king, my chiefs I believe I have spoken well”

Prince Ikenna said once more as more chiefs nodded in agreement quite impressed by his attitude so far.

“Uncle , thank you for your advice and the opportunity you are willingly to give to me , its true that this however is my duty but I can assure you I did ask Chief Ekelemchi my Uncle as well to open the speech but I think its only best I take the stand here”
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:01pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

Prince Ihunna said brining silence once more to the court, they had soon gone over the details they knew so far, three were already confirmed missing and one just recently was confirmed clawed to death , expert hunters had unanimously agreed the claw marks and manner of death were indeed that of a wild animal , one they themselves had never encountered.

“Wise one, your presence here gives me great confidence , that the gods can help point us to the right direction ,people are becoming scarred and the prices of a few bush meats have gone up since then , I cant afford to get two antelopes for the price I used to get them anymore..”

Chief Emeribe , the fattest of all the chiefs said quite unhappy about the situation , although a bit of laughter ensured shortly after he mentioned the price hike , he however went on.

“..please wise one , this is indeed very serious , I fear one day I might open my plate of food and meet only three pieces of meat inside”
He added which again sent more chiefs laughing until Achike eventually began his rites by which he was able to communicate with the gods, the moment was indeed tense as always , as he sang various songs and made various incantation for over thirty minutes, he finally stopped and gave a disappointed look, he made no intention to speak and only nodded his headed in sheer disappointment.
“Wise one , please what do the gods say?”

Prince Ikenna asked quite concerned about the expression written on Achike’s face ,an expression he was now familiar with over the time to mean something very bad.

“Wise one , please surely the gods did say something , please tell us what the gods have for us , what can we do and how we can do it”
Chief Eziamaka added as they all beckoned on the chief priest to say something.

“Wise one please , what is it that the gods have shown you , what is this calamity or danger that we are faced with, please we are merely the mortals without the gods we have no sense of direction , please you must tell us ,wise one”

Prince Ikenna added, the old chief priest had decided to speak afterwards , he didn’t need to really , for if there was one person the king had no authority over it would be him , he could decide to go away and not be bothered by the outcome of the meeting nor the problems of the people but he decided to speak , had it not been prince Ikenna who saw it fit to follow traditions and make him the first person to visit once his feet touched his village , had he not been the one who begged him to come for the meeting , it was only right he played his part once someone recognized his importance in the village once more.
“Our people say that if a child purposely keeps on crying the people will eventually carry the corpse past him”

Achike said , as the chiefs sought understand the parable the old wise man said.

“Wise one , please what do you mean , you speak with parables only someone as wise as you alone can understand , please I beg you , what is it that you mean”
Prince Ihunna added.

“My prince and my chiefs , the gods did indeed show me all that I needed to see and hear but they have warned me not to speak of them however they have asked me to tell you of terrible times that are to come for the people of Elu, I will take my leave now….”
“..Wise one there is no problem you can go , if you are saying the gods
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:08pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

wants us to suffer , if you feel this is a punishment by the gods …”
“Achike, Achike the great priest of our land , one who sits and dines with the gods , one who is able to whisper into the ears of the spirits , he who has gone far and beyond without moving his feet , he who has seen what tomorrow holds even before the dawn , the great custodian of the spirit realm..”

Prince Ikenna jumped to his feet as he continued with praises after cutting chief Ekelemchi, his wooden flute in hand.
“..The true giant of Elu , my father ‘s father , one who makes a case for his people , Achike hah Achike …”
He paused and went to his kneels before Achike , much to the confusion and shock of the other chiefs.

“..Achike , you cannot abandon us like this when we need you the most , our people are scared and frightened , we do not know when next this strange beast will come to claim our children or our parents , Achike whatever that we need to do , we will surely do it , please Achike your children need you”

Achike stood there for a few minutes , he knew too well the praises of Ikenna , long ago when he used to stay in the palace as demanded by the twins father who thought highly of him , it was however the way Ikenna’s father who was one of the best flute player sort to boost his moral whenever there was an issue in the spirit realm.
“Ikenna you have done well..”

He paused and beckoned on him to stand up.
“…perhaps I can beckon on the gods to reveal their true intent but we will have to perform the cleansing rites before the next three days to calm the gods , only then can I begin this task you ask of me”
Achike said before he finally took his leave.

“Uncle that was incredible , father used to tell me how good you were with the flute , thank you for making Achike see reasons with us”
“Its nothing really my prince , just an habit I took from your grandfather and if you like I can as well teach you how to …”
“..enough of all that , we have a serious issue to tend to if you don’t mind and I have suggestions I would like to share with the chiefs now”
Chief Ekelemchi cut in.

“Ehm we have all heard what Wise one has said , I say we give buchi the royal treasurer to make the necessary arrangements ”
He concluded .

“Uncle I think you are right , the people must know we take this very serious as well”

Prince Ihunna added , again a mild chatter ensures for a moment.
“My prince , if I may suggest I would say we get a list of the items needed first and find how we can manage the expenses , the cleansing rites if I am correct is such that takes toil on the royal finances and having just done the burial rites of my brother the king ,wouldn’t it be wise for us to see to it that the needed items are well managed and sort for at best price , a silk material presently cost A lot more in Obosara..”
“…don’t you say that name here in Elu, this is not Obosara so please keep away everything that has to do with that village out of here”
Chief Ekelemchi said.

“yes chief Ekelemchi is right , it’s a know fact that we and Obosara are not on good terms so why bring up there name here?”
Chief Emeribe added leading to chatter amongst the chiefs for a minute or two.
“My chiefs , I am indeed sorry about that but I believe we know for a fact that
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:09pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

things are not as they seem anymore , every market day my mother’s people come all the way from Obosara to sell and to buy here as do our people go over there , we share Ikudhe the flowing stream and have never for a long time had any issue , my father as you all know married my mother who is from Obosara , so please I ask that we don’t let such things as history draw us back in a negative way”
Prince Ikenna said.

“you are indeed correct, I see no reason to hold on to such sentimental issues as such as wars which were fought even before our great grand fathers existed, please go on”
Chief Eze said in approval of Prince Ikenna’s opinion.

The meeting did go on without a hitch from there as the chiefs shared their opinions and a decision was made , the royal house under the supervision of chief Ekelemchi would select traders through buchi the royal treasurer who can go sort out most of the needed items in time for the cleansing rite, Prince Ikenna did offer his assistance to help connect with the best traders in Obosara by which they could get the best quality for less, in the end the meeting was described by most of the chiefs as one of the best so far the young prince had preceded over.
It was later in the Evening, Prince Ikenna had decided to go see Chiazokam , the retired royal herbalist who saw to his brother during the time of his illness , she had been the only one he didn’t get a chance to see during his first visit to the palace, though he soon learnt the herbalist had retired soon after the death of his brother, he did hope to thank her for all those years the old woman had taken care of his brother and his family.

“My prince , you should never had bother yourself , this is too much for me I say”

Chiazokam said admiring the silk material the prince had bought for her, they had soon sat to discuss about everything , he had missed so far and some good old memories in the palace.
“I just don’t know why your brother , king odum never recovered as expected”

She said a bit sullen at the fact, her experience in her field had always made her the most after herbalist in the whole of the village , in fact it was said that if there ever was any sickness or disease Chiazokam the herbalist couldn’t heal , no one else was able, the illness wasn’t a strange one for her , in fact it was one king odum suffered consistently even when he was a child, had she not been the one always there to help relieve him when it needn’t to be.

“Mama , I don’t understand , what do you mean by that, never has anyone doubted the potency of you herbs or your knowledge nor experience”
Prince Ikenna asked calmly.
“Well my prince , so I thought myself perhaps I got sloppy ….”
She paused for a moment and shook her head vehemently , it was not even a question worth asking.

“My prince , your father trusted me with the health of the royal family as did his father to my mother , I have tended to Injuries, poisons , illnesses and so many more , never for once was my ability to deliver called in doubt , my Prince it was out of disbelief and shame that I had to resign the way I did , but my prince I would swear on my life that King odum may not have died from the illness…”

“..The gods forbid it , mama what are you saying ,are you saying my brother the king could have been…..”
He paused unable to bear the possibility of what the old woman was saying.

“..impossible mama, it cant be , please mama for our sake , swear to me you will not speak of this to anyone at least not yet , please mama I cant imagine someone could have done such a thing to my brother”
Prince Ikenna said sadly.

“hmmm your brother , king odum was one of the nicest men to have wore that crown ,sometimes been nice comes with a price , I have gone over the details constantly since the day I left the royal palace , something terribly happened to the your brother the king, prince Ikenna this is the truth”

Chiazokam said emphatically.
“mama, be rest I will not sleep till the day I find out who is truly is responsible for the death of my brother ,king odum and I swear by our gods and our fathers that I will make them pay before the people of Elu , this I promise you”
Prince Ikenna said.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:13pm On Mar 09, 2020
Chapter Three

The cleansing rites had gone unhinged after which Achike the chief priest had asked that Elu choose five of her best hunters and set them for Dozoh , that after seven days they shall return with the head of the elusive man eater, whilst this was a good news it was however one that got the people talking for the coronation of the new king was also billed to happen seven days as well from then, perhaps a coincidence or perhaps the plans of the gods , it was however worth discussing by some.

“I don’t really understand , don’t you think something else is in stock for us on the crown prince coronation”
Mama Chisimdi said as both walk back from the market .
“First of all , Achike is only using this as a ploy to get people to offer sacrifices for protection …”

“The god forbids it , hah Ijeawele how dare you accuse the Achike of such “

Mama Chimsimdi asked quite surprised by her friends words.
“See everyone knows that it is because of prince Ikenna , people have now started patronizing Achike again , ever since he made the declaration at the royal court everyone including my husband has gone to offer sacrifices of protection with my chickens ….”
“Ijeawele so it is because of your chicken that you are hear saying…”
“..i didn’t not say anything oh , please let me be , with the amount of chickens , goats and food stocks Achike has taken from us , I wonder why the gods will still have to wait till the day of the coronation of Prince Ikenna”

Ijeawele said.
“By the gods , Ijeawele don’t tell me even you too are rooting for the Prince Ikenna to succeed the throne?”
“my dear let me tell you since you would rather pretend that you do not know the news that is going on, come seven days time , Prince Ikenna will be crowned king of Elu”
“Ijeawele , okay but who would you prefer if you were one of the chiefs to decide”

“My dear since the return of Prince Ikenna , many more traders from Obosara have been coming around , the prices have been stable between us and them , its no news this is because of the good relationship Prince Ikenna has with the Obosara , something his brother and father and even his father’s father have never done there are rumors that he may be the one to broker peace finally between the lands , He goes around daily to see the chiefs and talk with them ,even Achike has benefited from his arrival , he is down to earth and we the people can relate with his good characters , he has respect for traditions and customs of the land , my dear friend if I don’t choose such a person to rule who else will I chose, does the chicken choose the mouth of a lion over its shed?”

Ijeawele said and for a long time , mama Chisimdi thought to think through of what her friend had said, something she rarely ever does.
“you know you could be right , there isn’t a day now I don’t get to hear about Prince Ikenna hmmm it is well, its is funny how we get to talk and talk about this and yet the gods already know who they favor”
Mama Chisimdi said with a smile , Ijeawele had hoped to end the discussion but this time , she couldn’t have agreed more with her friend ,indeed the gods know who would eventually become king.
At the Royal Palace , decisions on how and who to oversee the task of finding the best hunters was set for discussion , Prince Ikenna had seen shortly Ogemdi before he made his move for the royal court to join the chiefs however it was Ejiofo who had stood in front of his way.
“My lord , I am sorry but I have been ordered by the prince not to allow you in, I am very sorry”
Ejiofo said.

“Oh its okay, I can only hope and believe that the right decisions are made for all our sake”
Prince Ikenna said before he took his leave, it was when he had decided to leave the palace he had come face to face with The Queen who he exchanged pleasantries with soon after.
“My lord , is there something wrong?”
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:14pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

She asked seeing Prince Ikenna outside the royal court , it was customary the chiefs remain at all time within the court except of course nature called.

“Oh I am feeling a bit lit headed today and I have decided to take a rest from the meetings , the prince was kind enough to let me off easily on this one , be rest assured the young prince has everything all under control, I have to take my leave now , my queen if you wouldn’t mind”
Prince Ikenna said before he took his leave , the prince may look like a lot like her late husband but he wasn’t good at hiding truth like her husband did , clearly something had happened , something she intended to find out.

It was during the calm evening, she had asked for her son’s presence who came to join her soon afterwards.

“my prince , I trust the meeting of today with your chiefs was a success?”

“Yes mama, Uncle Ekelemchi made sure everyone followed through with our decisions today”
“and what about your father’s brother …”
“mother , I well he was not around today , mother I don’t think henceforth he should attend the meetings anymore “
“my prince but I thought you of all have been in support of his participation in such activities why the sudden change “
She asked quite concerned about his son’s change of behavior towards his uncle ever since the cleansing rites were performed but the prince was a bit reluctant to say anything further which made the queen even more interested in the reason.

“My prince , I am your mother , I demand to know this from you immediately”

She beckoned on the young prince once more.
“Mama , are you not aware he performed the asigwu during the cleansing rite, what do you think that means for me?”
His mother smiled calmly , she had wondered if this might be the source of her son’s change in attitude, something she hoped wouldn’t be not now all eyes are on them.

“My prince , what is it really you were told of the Asigwu and one who performs it”
“well mama, uncle Ekelemchi said its one who was destined to do great things for the people that was always chosen to slaughter the animals”
His mother paused for a minute before she chucked.
“And my brother told you this?”
“of course mother , the asigwu…”

“The asigwu is meant for the most senior male member of the royal blood and that is your uncle , it means nothing else my prince”
She could see how sullen he had become soon after , she understood his feelings almost immediately.

“Am sorry you feel the way you feel , its okay to feel such as the future king, misunderstanding like this will always come up , its however what you do to make amends that counts “
She stood to take her leave.
“Mother , thank you”

He managed to say with a dull smile hanging on his face, indeed he had made a huge error , tomorrow he however planned to make amends.
Far away from the queens court ,Chief Ekelemchi joined his fellow chief and friend at his chamber , Chief Emeribe who he had told to come see him later , they had much to discuss as the coronation drew near.
“you are early , I thought you had a lot of things to do today?”
Chief Ekelemchi said seeing his friend had settled down to enjoy his meal he had hoped to take later.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:16pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

“when the black ant stings the buttocks , next time the buttocks learns wisdom , I had to leave the house quickly just before my four wives had started drawing the neighborhood to their quarrel besides it seems I did come well and at a good time”

He replied sizing up the lap of the grasscutter he had picked out of the vegetable soup much to the dissatisfaction of his friend who could only curse his luck at that moment.
“I see , where you able to get to chief Eze and the rest as we spoke?”
Chief Ekelemchi asked.

He waited for minutes took his time with the food with a final touch of his tongue going through the entire empty plates once more to pick up the little leftovers and then emptying a cup of fresh palm wine down his throat.

“This must be the handiwork of Agugu the palm wine tapper , only he taps this fresh..”
“haven’t you had your fill , you know you shouldn’t be see here with me at this hour , so tell me the outcome of the task at hand while we can still talk”

Chief Ekelemchi added.
“Eh am sorry . well you see eh the task is indeed a big one , I have been able to talk with three so far and have dropped sizeable amounts and plots of lands as directed , I can assure you those three are with us…”
“You should know that is not enough, if we can only account for three out of fourteen chiefs that’s still a big margin by which anything can happen …”

“Ehm the thing is there are a lot of options available to the chiefs this time which is something that rarely ever happens , the prince is there and don’t forget prince Ikenna who has really been impressive since his return , I bet you he has already bought most of the chiefs …”
“impossible!”
Chief Ekelemchi exclaimed startling chief Emeribe who could only pause and observe his friend .

“I will never let that happen , Prince Ikenna will never be crowned king of Elu not while I am alive, the gods forbids it, I just don’t know why he had to come back , everything was just going well for us “
He continued angrily.
“wait a minute , you ask why he is back?, have you no knowledge of why he left before ?”

Chief Emeribe asked letting his friend sink in his words for a moment who decides to sit and ask for more information.
“what do you mean about that , is it not the traditions that once the heir has been chosen ….”

“only if he chooses that I know , chief let me tell you this , I did swear never to reveal this after the old woman who partook in the delivering of prince ihunna’s father and prince ikenna , am sure not everyone knows but just to let you know where we stand in this matter I will let you know , it is said that unlike the story that we have all heard and believed about the twin princes and how prince odum was infact the first to come out at birth that it was actually the other way round…”
“By the gods , Emeribe ,what are you saying?”

“Prince Ikenna was in fact the senior of the two prince however she had told me that Ikenna refused to cry at birth and it was in fact odum who cried first , which resulted to a fatal mistake by the mid wives who then presented odum as the first born who was then presented to a Achike who performed the rites of onumah , when the queen found out it was already too late , onumah as you know cannot be peformed for a second time , they say it was during her death she may have told Ikenna the truth after which he left the palace
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 09, 2020
Wow nice piece!
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:19pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

“when the black ant stings the buttocks , next time the buttocks learns wisdom , I had to leave the house quickly just before my four wives had started drawing the neighborhood to their quarrel besides it seems I did come well and at a good time”

He replied sizing up the lap of the grasscutter he had picked out of the vegetable soup much to the dissatisfaction of his friend who could only curse his luck at that moment.

“I see , where you able to get to chief Eze and the rest as we spoke?”
Chief Ekelemchi asked.
He waited for minutes took his time with the food with a final touch of his tongue going through the entire empty plates once more to pick up the little leftovers and then emptying a cup of fresh palm wine down his throat.

“This must be the handiwork of Agugu the palm wine tapper , only he taps this fresh..”
“haven’t you had your fill , you know you shouldn’t be see here with me at this hour , so tell me the outcome of the task at hand while we can still talk”
Chief Ekelemchi added.

“Eh am sorry . well you see eh the task is indeed a big one , I have been able to talk with three so far and have dropped sizeable amounts and plots of lands as directed , I can assure you those three are with us…”
“You should know that is not enough, if we can only account for three out of fourteen chiefs that’s still a big margin by which anything can happen …”
“Ehm the thing is there are a lot of options available to the chiefs this time which is something that rarely ever happens , the prince is there and don’t forget prince Ikenna who has really been impressive since his return , I bet you he has already bought most of the chiefs …”
“impossible!”

Chief Ekelemchi exclaimed startling chief Emeribe who could only pause and observe his friend .
“I will never let that happen , Prince Ikenna will never be crowned king of Elu not while I am alive, the gods forbids it, I just don’t know why he had to come back , everything was just going well for us “
He continued angrily.

“wait a minute , you ask why he is back?, have you no knowledge of why he left before ?”

Chief Emeribe asked letting his friend sink in his words for a moment who decides to sit and ask for more information.
“what do you mean about that , is it not the traditions that once the heir has been chosen ….”

“only if he chooses that I know , chief let me tell you this , I did swear never to reveal this after the old woman who partook in the delivering of prince ihunna’s father and prince ikenna , am sure not everyone knows but just to let you know where we stand in this matter I will let you know , it is said that unlike the story that we have all heard and believed about the twin princes and how prince odum was infact the first to come out at birth that it was actually the other way round…”
“By the gods , Emeribe ,what are you saying?”

“Prince Ikenna was in fact the senior of the two prince however she had told me that Ikenna refused to cry at birth and it was in fact odum who cried first , which resulted to a fatal mistake by the mid wives who then presented odum as the first born who was then presented to a Achike who performed the rites of onumah , when the queen found out it was already too late , onumah as you know cannot be peformed for a second time , they say it was during her death she may have told Ikenna the truth after which he left the palace
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:22pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

for his mother’s village., out of anger and spite for his brother and his father”
The chief concluded .
“this is unbelievable”

“you had better believe it chief ekelemchi, he came for one thing and one thing only to reclaim his lost mandate , if you sit and fold your hands , I can only assure you the crown will be his..”
“I will not allow that chief, over my dead body!”
Chief Ekelemchi said.

“Then I would need more to convince the other chiefs , they say that if there is no morsel left in the hand , it causes the pieces in the mouth to grow cold , the ball is in your court dear friend , I will await for your decision and I hope it happens soon, I should take my leave now before it gets too dark”

Chief Emeribe said once more before he took his leave, he had said all he needed to say to his friend for now .

Chief Ekelemchi sat there quietly for a more , his thoughts seem more like a burden to him now , things were going extremely smooth for him and the young prince until prince Ikenna arrived , his depleting faster , from lands to monetary gifts and jewelries , now he had been told those old pigs needed more to earn their votes, with days counting to the coronation it was however not an option to see to it that the necessary things be done , he would have to find a way to collect more funds from the royal treasury.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:24pm On Mar 09, 2020
Chapter Four

At the first crow of the day , Prince Ihunna had talked to with his mother before he and Amukoh one of his personal bodyguards had decided to go see His uncle ,prince Ikenna.

Chief Ekelemchi had joined his sister the queen shortly to discuss about what he felt needed attention to.

“My queen , they say the frog does not run around during the day time for no reason , there is a huge problem we need to tend to immediately”
He said hurriedly.

“brother what is it that troubles you?” the queen asked visibly worried.
“Are you not aware or is has no one told you yet?”
He asked.
“Aware of what, what has happened?”

“there are rumors, my sister, rumors which I am bothered and concerned about , rumors which have dire consequences for us all in this palace”
The queen paused for a minute and took a look around before finding her brothers hand.

“come , we must go to my chambers immediately ,there we will talk better”

She said tugging her brother along .
It was however a twenty minute walk from the palace to Prince Ikenna’s compound, right there the young prince had met prince Ikenna and a hunter discussing the price of a grass cutter, they all bow and pay their respect immediately to the young prince .

“Azu my friend please you must excuse me now while I talk with the prince …”
He said to Azu the hunter who greeted the prince once more before talking his leave.

“My prince , what brings you far away from the palace to my little abode”
Prince Ikenna asked quite uncertain at the time about the purpose of the visit.
“Uncle, I …I..”

“Please if you would not mind , I suggest we go in first , I have already prepared something for the morning, Omhuki soup with lots of mushrooms…”
“that is my favorite and my father’s too”

The young prince replied quite excited at the offer.
“Well your father and I may nevr had really agreed on a lot of things when we were growing up but Omhuki soup was one thing we both enjoyed all the time , please do come in whatever you have to say , we will discuss it over breakfast its is said that if one sets the mouth properly and chews very hard palm fruit certainly it will be like chewing softer palm fruits, I am very sure after a good meal , you will feel better to talk “

Prince Ikenna said as both of them made their way into the hut , prince Ihunna did enjoy his meal thereafter and soon made his purpose known.

“I did tell Ejiofo to not let you in, after the cleansing rite I thought you….”
“You don’t need to say it young prince , even I did need a break from the meetings and thank you very much for coming down to see me young prince”

“Uncle is it…..is it true you are only here to…”
“what did you say my prince?”

“Uncle never mind , please I must come around again when next you make Omhuki soup , this was indeed delicious, thank you”
“It’s the gods who give us just enough to eat ,drink and share with other that truly deserve the thanks , now you are all rested I hope its okay if I escort you for awhile as you make the journey back to the palace”
Prince Ikenna said much to the approval of the young prince, they soon made their way past the markets , exchanging greetings with the people who hailed both prince before they followed a shorter path as advised by prince Ikenna which would get them closer to the palace but there it did happen that they had been ambushed by three men who easily overpowered
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:25pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

Amukoh striking him in the process and letting him collapse to the ground but prince Ikenna gave them a much harder fight to overpower , urging the young prince to run and call for help ,while he fend off their assailants , the young prince had be struck by a dagger on the left leg which was thrown at him by one of them, but the Fight didn’t end there either , with Ikenna besting all three as the fight ensured , it was however when he had managed to knock one out totally the two had decided to run away.

The news was made known to the people as soon as Prince Ikenna was able to help prince ikunna back to the palace, as if the man eater hadn’t already claimed yet another victim just a night ago now someone had attacked both prince with the intent of killing them.
Whilst the leg injury hadn been that serious once the royal herbalist did his job , it was however the accusations by chief ekelmechi that sent people thinking .

“who else who would do such a thing except prince Ikenna , I know for this is another one of his dangerous plans to get more people on his side , was he not the one who suggested that lonely path in the first place , just so you know nothing like this has ever happened in the land before , it is a sacrilege to threaten the life of a royal person punishable by death, I say they lock up prince Ikenna now until we can confirm truly he is not responsible for the attack”

He said, his words did win a lot of people who saw reason to what he did say, unfortunately the one who had been knocked out was confirmed to have died from the injuries he sustained hence making it impossible for a confession.

“I say we call the people to the palace they will decide his fate”
He said when eventually the chiefs had gathered later by noon to discuss about the issue.

“Our prince has a stab wound in his leg , you can imagine what could have happened …”

“But nothing else did happen , just so you know Prince Ikenna was also injured and brutalized as well , to have fought off three people isn’t such a simple task you know” chief eze said.
“Ehn why wont it be a simple task when he may have been the one to set the whole thing upm think about..”

“No one will think of anything except the truth which I bring”
Achike said making his appearance in the royal chamber after which a sudden buzz of chatter is heard outside.

“what is going on out there?” Chief Eziamaka cried out.
“that would be the people of elu , they have all gathered here for the truth”

Achike said again.
“Wise one , if I remember correctly , do you intend to perform the Osherigi to find out the truth?”
Chief Eze asked.

“Well spoken chief Eze, I have been summoned as well as the people of Elu by Prince Ikenna himself who wishes to exonerate himself from having any involvement in this evil that has been perpetuated” Achike replied.

“what, you mean he requested for this ?”
“he didn’t just requested for it, he asked he take the osherigi right in front of as many that would want to know the truth hence the presence of the people of Elu here”

Achike said eventually leading the chiefs out after which Prince Ikenna was led out by the guards right in from of everything where he performed the osherigi willingly ; a test which stood the test of time in finding out the truth
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:26pm On Mar 09, 2020
contnued

of any matter , it involved the drinking of the special concoction and incantations made after which he would be asked the questions , persons under the osherigi can only tell the truth or risk death by continuous spewing of blood and not just only to him but those who aided in such evil he was accused of immediately hence the respect by all for this special rite.

“what is he trying to accomplish, his death?”
Someone from the crowd said.

“No one not even the spirit dares toy with Osherigi ,he must be out o0f his senses?”
Another one said.
“If he survives this , then certainly he must be absolved of all blames and accusations”
A chief said to another.

However the prince hadn’t even bathed as much as an eye when he clearly declared his innocence , he soon receive praises from many of the people as soon as his declaration came forth however it was the scream of woman who filled the air drawing the people aback for a minute.
The elusive man eater had claimed another life again only this time , right there in the village.

A day after the live of another child who had strayed into the forest for a quick a game was discovered to have been mauled by this unidentified creature , preparations had soon begun to send the hunters , the plan had been halted by the choice of committee to oversee the selection but after the events of yesterday , it was however only necessary to show the people , the royal family and personally the young prince’s interest in protecting his people.

At dawn, the town crier had did as he was commanded.

Gongon!...Gongon!!..Gongon!!! his iron gong sounded as he walked around the nooks and cronies of the village.
“The People of Elu “

Again the gong sounded ,bringing awareness to even the lazy farmers still wondering what to do about the day.
“The Heir Apparent Prince Ihunna and the chiefs of the land have called upon the great hunters of the land, for it has become a matter of urgency that five of the best must be chosen today and prepared for the journey ahead just as Achiga the mouth piece has instructed , the prince has ordered that those who will be selected will be rewarded beyond compare and be gifted with prestigious titles for their bravery, “
He made his announcements known to all far and near.
However the Turn up was immense, as hunters both far and near came to the gathering .

“We have not been able to set up the committee to oversee the activities of those we will send my prince because of the finance it will involve, I …..”

“with all due respect , speaking from experiences and history it’s a quite strange that the idea of a committee to oversee these men will sit comfortably daily in the royal court to discuss about the activities of men who will be in the thick jungles and not just that but will be paid for such while this hunters risk their lives out there, my chiefs I think certainly there must be a better way out, as you can see the hunters are out there waiting for us to come and talk with them , the idea of a committee will only delay us all the more as it has already..”
“what are you trying to say ehn prince Ikenna , you claim to know traditions
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by chatinent: 8:30pm On Mar 09, 2020
Following..
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:30pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

,history and customs but you have forgotten this is a new era different from when you were around , things are done differently now , for each task and activity to be agreed on its important a committee be set up to checkmate such hence I think its only fair , you keep still and let us the chiefs decide that quickly , in fact I feel I have earned that right to nominate myself as the head committee member”

Chief Emeribe said angrily having been obstructed earlier by the prince.
“What Prince Ikenna has said has some truth in it , we all are aware of the deadlock we have been experiencing in respect to setting up a committee to supervise the activities of those we will be sending into the forest however again whilst my fellow chief, Chief Emeribe has also in fact spoken the truth about the way things are run currently , I think if I am to support anyone to spearhead this committee which I would prefer to be a one man committee to limit the expenditure , I would pick Prince Ikenna…”

Chief Eze words sent a mild chatter across the court.
“…by traditions , whilst the royal family do not and cant be involved in any decision making process , they can however be selected and chosen for tasks such as this , Prince Ikenna has shown so far his credibility and ability to handle a task as important as this ….”
He paused and took a good look and then continued.

“..i believe this is not something to debate , we should cast a vote now , whoever we pick we pick here will decide those worthy to be picked and prepared for the journey “

“This has never be done before , we all are know a chief is supposed to be the one selected , it has always been the way things are done , by selecting a royal it shows we have no value for…”

“..My chiefs , it hink Chief Ekelemchi is right on this one, for all who have considered as been worthy to be selected for this task I say thank you but a chief is regarded as a people in the sense that he represents the people’s choice at all times and this time , a choice to settle for me wouldn’t and may not be totally favorable for all ,in a way I still am very much a stranger to many , I would suggest we select five of the best hunters first and then delegate better on who is to head the committee as the days go , for now the urgency of us sending this brave men as instructed is indeed a dire one…”
Prince Ikenna said, cutting in on Chief Ekelemchi.

“We can perform Otum to know those favorable by the gods for this mission as our fathers and my father the late king told me my chiefs , he told me Otum was performed to select those who will had the blessings of the gods with them, wise one is that not true?”
Prince Ikenna said with a smile , he had been studying for the longest time now, having seen and admired his uncle’s own knowledge of tradition and customs of the land , he made it his mission once he recovered himself to study daily the history of the land to help me lead his people better.

“You have indeed spoken well my prince , Your father’s father and his fathers did consult the gods to select those for special missions during times of war and a lot more , If the chiefs will agree , I will go get the item for Otum”

Achike said much to the approval of all this time around who saw meaning to the young prince’s suggestion.
Otum was merely a test of strong virtue , it involved a simple yet mysterious iron rod called Otum struck into the ground by Achike declaring the amount or number otum needed to select and for what purposes , the task set for all was simple , everyone had to try and remove it from the ground , it is believed those favored will be able to remove it with ease while others will fail in their bid to do same.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:31pm On Mar 09, 2020
contnued

Eventually otum had selected five who made their way for the forest after the needed preparation , as sun began to fade slowly , prince Ikenna had decided to go pay Achike a visit when Chief Eze and a few other chiefs came to see him, after the pleasantries they made their purpose known to him.

“I myself and my fellow chiefs here have had our discussions and made decisions , you must know we care much about our people and we have been trusted with a task of protecting their interest, Prince Ikenna , we have decided in unison , all of us here who seat with you to stand with you when the day you will need us the most to , I am sure you understand what we mean , the people have eyes and they have ears too, they see and they know whats good for them , is it not so my fellow chiefs?”

“Yes indeed” came the reply to chief eze’s question.
Prince Ikenna greeted them all before he took his stand to give a reply.
“My lords , my fathers , Its indeed beyond belief and hopes for the great people of Elu that they find me worthy enough to think I can serve them this way hence I say thank you to you all , its important that the desires of the people be met at all times , I hope indeed when that day comes, you all who have put this faith in me will also trust my words too, once more I say thank you all “

The meeting was indeed a short and well concluded one and by morning , the rumors had filled the air once more and with just four more days to go , the possibilities of what that day held was something everyone was anticipating eagerly.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:32pm On Mar 09, 2020
Chapter Five

”He has already declared his intentions for the crown , that is the truth”
One of the chiefs said as four of them gathered alongside chief Emeribe and Ekelemchi at their secret gathering.

“That cannot be , that traitor of a chief would really do that to us , after I personally sent Chief Emeribe to go personally and discuss with him about my plans?”

“Chief Ekelemchi , I say we leave him and the other five out of our plans , chief Eze and his group so to say are known for been back stabbers and traitors , there are still two more chiefs who none of us have been able to convince …”

“We must do everything to convince those two before chief eze does “
Chief Ekelemchi said.

“Hah do not worry about it Chief Ekelemchi, we will ensure that we get to those , in fact I have a plan at hand , do not worry , I suggest you go see the queen immediately and let her know what is happening and the need to okay the demands I have already made known to you , time is off the essence “
Chief Emeribe said.

“You..you are right , I must go now , we will not easily be defeated this way”
Chief Ekelemchi said before he left the other chiefs to go see his sister the queen.

He made his way to the royal queen’s court where the maids were gathered around to help make her hair .
“I demand you all to leave immediately” Chief Ekelemchi said in a loud voice which made the startled maids run out.
“Ekele my brother what is it, why are you troubled?”
She asked .

“Sister there is fire on the mountain, hah sister there is trouble coming our way ..”

“what do you mean brother , what has happened ?”
She asked impatiently and frightened .
“I didn’t want to tell you this ….”

He paused to looked around and clearly whispered what he had recently learnt from Chief Emeribe about prince Ikenna’s birth.
“By the gods , brother this is not true!”
She refuted with fright on his face.

“I am telling you , prince Ikenna has already stole the hearts of the people and some of the chiefs and now with this information , he above all has a better claim than your son to the throne…”
“It cant be brother , that would , that would mean…”
“that would mean you and your son will have nothing when he is done with you two, is that what you dears sister?”

“No,no,no brother no that’s not what I want”
“then go and see to it that ogemdi releases the necessary funds that I need , the chiefs have to be swayed one way or another before that day comes or you above all stand to lose the most”

Chief Ekelemchi said before leaving his sister to ponder over what he had said, she had no other choice she above the rest knew the consequences of what is to ensure if she didn’t oblige to his demands .
Somewhere around the same time , the royal herbalist had finally cleared fit Amukoh , he made his way out of the palace as soon as he was cleared fit to meet up with someone one of the maids had told him wanted to see him urgently.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:33pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

As noon approached, the palace was suddenly mobbed with the local traders who seemed to be in protest of something, the likes of chief Ekelemchi , the prince and a host of others had gathered to calm them down and find out the problem.

“The prices of things are becoming unbearable my chief , we hardly sell a thing nor buy , our people are scared of going to the farm , even the hunters are not bringing in enough for us to make something out of , Elu is known for its markets across many villages , what good is such a title if its own people now starve!”
One of them said sympathetically.

“Eh my people, I can assure you that things will be brought under control sooner than later , the ….”
Chief Ekelemchi voice is overshadowed by the crowd’s murmur which expressed their unhappiness about the chief’s attempt to calm them down.
“The people of Elu I am sorry that we are faced with such a dilemma at a time like this …..”

Prince Ihunna paused ,choosing to step out and down into the midst of his people who gather around to listen to him.
“…We have been made shells of our former selves, we are scarred and unhappy , our friends ,children and parents have been snatched away from us by this beast…”

“We are starving here, what do you have to say about that , the people cant live like this for long not all of us live in the palace you know”
Someone said among the crowd.
“..who said that?”

Chief Ekelemchi asked angrily in a loud tone.
“..Its okay that’s true and understandable, you all don’t live in the palace in other words I may not really know how it feels to starve or to be scarred at night but you all are my people , your pain is my pain and my joy is your joy so believe when I say I am saddened by what is happening…”
“what are we going to do then ,tell us!:”
Another demanded from the crowd.

“well you are right , we need to do something , Achiga has already given us when we will catch this beast and that’s in three days time during the coronation , if I recall in times of war as I have read , It is the king’s duty to provide for the people when things got out of hands in terms of supplies , Ogemdi the Royal treasurer will discuss with the leader of the traders to fix prices for the essentials whilst the traders are compensated by the royal house for such items, this way the people can purchase at prices they is considered okay”

The young prince said, getting an ovation of praise from the people who were wuite happy with his suggestions, after dispersing the crowds , chief Eze had soon found his way to the young prince to discuss a few things with him .

“My prince , you spoke well today”
He said.

“thank you very much my lord, the people are in distress and Its only necessary I try my best to help proffer a solution”
The prince said before they both went their separate ways again.
During the night when everybody was fast asleep , the queen found her way to her son’s court for a much needed discussion.
“Mother , is there anything the matter?”
The young prince asked waking up soon after his mother made her presence known to him.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:34pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

“My son , I wish I could say that, we have problem which threatens you and I “

“A problem , mama what is it?”
“My son, today I found out about a secret which could essentially be our doom in this palace”
“mama , what are you saying?”

“My son, prince Ikenna has by the way of tradition and custom a more legal claim to the throne than you , your father was second to be come out during birth , It was by mishap that your father was declared senior , an issue that made prince Ikenna leave this village for his mother’s , now his brother is dead and he is back to reclaim the throne”
“mama, is this really true?”

“yes my son, this is nothing but the truth, the six out of the chiefs and many have sided with him already , there are rumors other chiefs will side with him sooner than later and help take away chances of becoming king and even punishing us in the process for what was done to him “

“Mama I cant believe this , Uncle saved my life the other day, he has been nothing but helpful to the people and me , he wouldn’t do such a thing”

“My son, the heart of a man and is best known to only him , we cant rely on his past deeds my son , I and my brother your royal adviser have taken steps to convince some of the chiefs and ….”
“Mama what do you mean by steps , isn’t it forbidden to discuss matters of the coronation with the chiefs before that day “

“my son , if one does not chew water he does not know that water has bones, listen to me I am impressed you have taken the affairs of the people quite seriously , your father took over the throne at age sixteen too but and did well , its quite unfortunate death took him early at the age he did leave us but your father knew what he had to do to remain king , he did both good and bad things to ensure his reign was not cut short infact if you ever took the history of the royal succession you will understand how your great grandfather succeeded the throne , he did it by means of a coup where the family of the then reigning king including its heir were wiped off to avoid their claim over the throne , this is hard to believe for a man opened the way for his bloodline to inherit the throne afterwards but history is there for a reason , you can learn from it so that it never happens again , now it’s your time to also show such bravery courage to do what is necessary ”

“hmmm okay mama I am ready , please go on am listening”
“I spoke to ogemdi this evening about some things I would need for the chiefs who will ensure the throne never gets to your uncle and he told me that its quite impossible because of the strain the royal treasury has been put under due to your decisions earlier but that’s not why I came , my brother and I have decided on a more permanent solution for this problem , one which will ensure that there is never any threat, at first I didn’t want to believe this was our only solution but my brother raised a good argument on why we needed to go through with the plan..”

“..wait mama , you don’t really me what I think you want to say do you , that’s..thats ….”

The prince shook his head out of disbelief .
“My son , he has to go , believe me even with the crown on your head , he can still claim it at will, your bloodline must preserve this throne for its generations to come , Ihunna my son hmmm..”
She paused and nodded her head gently .

“..however that decision is yours and yours only to take , you must sleep on it and make a decision before the coronation itself begins. , I pray you think of it and make a wise decision for all our sake”
The queen said once more before she took her leave.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:35pm On Mar 09, 2020
Chapter Six

A day to the coronation , Prince Ikenna arrives at Achiga’s shrine ,they share a kola and began to discuss.

“My lord, You know one of these days you will have to divulge the secret of your ever youthful appearance to me , look at me am barely forty six and I look already old”
Prince Ikenna said teasingly to the old man who chuckled at the remark.

“Ikenna my son, its always good to see here , but I sense there is a lot in your mind which is why you are here, what bothers you ?”
“hmmm its true that I have a lot in my mind , its why I am here because only you can in fact help me , it is said that one must look for the animal’s eyes in its head hence my presence here”
Prince Ikenna said.

“you have spoken well , what is that troubles you?”
“my lord you are not just the eyes and mouth piece of the gods themselves but also a custodian of the village history , history that has been passed down from generations to generations , histories that owe the answers to my burden”
He said calmly.

“hmmm I see , by traditions and customs I am sworn by secrecy to the people and the gods but more than I am sworn to always uphold the truth and do whatever necessary to protect to the people and the throne itself, tell me everything and I will tell you all that you need to know, today is a day that has been blessed by the gods even your coming here was already decided by them, you may speak freely”
Achuga assured him.

Some kilometers away from the village shrine , Mama Chisimdi and her friend Ijeawele spoke at length about all the recent happenings within the kingdom and even more the prospects of a new king the next day.
“I said what I heard already , the chiefs are going to support Prince Ihunna’s claim to the throne over Prince Ikenna”
Ijeawele said.

“what , wait I thought all this time you have been rooting for prince Ikenna ..”
“Ehn see forget that gist , right now , prince Ihunna has shown the same level of trust and confidence to run the affairs of the village , he has really improved you know”
Ijeawele replied.

“ooohh so this time you now see what I have been seeing along ,prince Ihunna is very much like Prince Ikenna only younger , his heart is in the right place , I believe he will indeed succeed the throne tomorrow without a hitch that I promise you”

“well hmmm I wouldn’t say without a hitch oh , such words end up jinxing the entire thing , so we all must expect tomorrow to play out the way we do as farmers who look up in the clear sky and yet see clouds pregnant with rain”

“Ijeawele you are right , its true however I feel things will go well tomorrow ,besides it is never a bad thing to hope for good things”
Mama Chisimdi said, it was quite rare that both women ever agreed on
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:36pm On Mar 09, 2020
contnued

anything but moments like this only showed where their hearts truly was.

By night fall, Prince Ikenna had slipped into the palace with a mission at hand , he had made his plans and hoped to execute at sun down in preparation of tomorrow , indeed Achuga had told him all he needed to know and what lies ahead , it was only necessary he kept the very promise he made years ago.

Gongon!...Gongon!!...Gongon!!!
The village town crier sounded his gong although he needn’t not as everyone was actively involved one way or another in the preparation of the ceremony even down to the youths and children had a role to play.

Gongon!...Gongon!!...Gongon!!!
His gong sounded again as he announced the order of the day not as if many paid attention to him, it was no secret how the order of activities were always done during coronations.

From the dancing , wrestling of various age groups to the ceremony proper which begins with a speech by one of the chiefs on the events that ensured shortly ,then the big moment itself followed which involved the chiefs returning to the private court room where each chief will declare his choice before Achiga who would then come out to give the verdict to the people and in a case where there is a deadlock , an event which as only happened in Elu’s history just for the second time , a three day interval is given after which the chiefs are again made to choose a candidate again ,but for today the people came bearing in their mind the thought of a definite winner .

The chain of events went on as planned in the presence of the royal family , the chiefs and the people even Azoube the village glutton dazzled the people with his extraordinary dancing and eating prowess whenever he had the chance to, it was however chief eze’s speech that every one eagerly listened to.

“The people of Elu , yes indeed today is a great day , oh yes today marks the beginning of great things to come for our people , today we give our history a push once more towards the right direction , moments from now , the royal horn will wake up the air in this arena after a consensus of your choice on who is to succeed the throne and become the new king, we fourteen will make that choice based on your demands and also for what we believe is right , we therefore ask all to be silent as we go in to make our decisions and I urge you all to await Achiga the mouth piece of the gods with good faith”

Again the people celebrated chief eze’s speech before silent ensured just as they all left the eyes of the public and right into a secret chamber.

Once inside , the absence of Prince Ikenna became known to all who wondered where he was at the moment.
“did any one notice the prince was not outside ,does he not know what today holds for him and the people?”
One of the chiefs asked.

“Has something bad happened to him?”
Another asked.
“My chiefs , I believe his presence is not the order of the day ,whether he is there or not I do not care , we have a job at hand and I suggest we get on with it!”

Chief Ekelemchi said before he passed a smile to chief Emeribe .
“Indeed he is right , his presence or absent is not an issue right now , the chiefs must in fact make their choices now”
Achiga said sadly.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:38pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

“My choice is made , I therefore choose Chief Emeribe Ezuogu , the son of King Ogbara who was ousted by his step brother the great grandfather of king odum!”

The chief said but apart from a few chiefs including chief Ekelemchi who was still reeling from what he just heard , not many in the room was shocked about the news.
“what, Emeribe ,what is this I am hearing?....” Chief Ekelemchi said flaring up dangerously.
“..what nonsense is this ,Achuga what is the meaning of this?”
He lamented.

“Well Chief Emeribe does in fact have a claim to the throne , his claim is validated by sound proof before the gods and man , when the great grandfather ousted his brother the rightful heir with the most claim to the throne , he ordered that his brother be put to death and his family including his son ,who apparently was spared of the horror , he went on to live a normal life unknown to the king , the same one who sits before you as chief Emeribe is great grandson of king Ogbara , apparently he survived..”
“this is not true ,it cant be, you used me chief Emeribe , by the gods what have I done?”
Chief Ekelemchi lamented.

“I don’t know what you are talking about first of all and even if I know well this is no time to trade blame besides you too wanted the throne for yourself ,didn’t you?”
“Enough of all this gibberish , the people await their king” Achiga cautioned dangerously.

“I nominate Chief Emeribe “ another proclaimed as chief Ekelemchi cursed himself over his ignorance all the while , he had delivered and done everything the chief had asked him to do , even his appointment as chief had been his plan once they eliminated king odum who was close to finding out his plans for the throne, now he thought about it , he had been the biggest fool all along.
“you will not come out of here alive, I swear it by the gods”
Chief Ekelemchi protested angrily.
“oh please , just shut up!”
Chief Emeribe rebuked him .
“I nominate Prince Ihunna” chief eze declared.
“I nominate Prince Ikenna “ another said.
“I nominate…”

A huge commotion had followed outside the palace shortly which got the attention of all of them and almost then Prince Ikenna walked in much .
“My lords, the people demand your immediate presence , I believe there is something you all must immediately”
Prince Ikenna sadi.

“What , whats this , how dare you come in..”
“Enough! , the people demand our presence so we all must go see them”

Achiga cut short the words of chief Emeribe , just as the royal guard walked them out .
Outside , the scene was quite different , a few people were bound in ropes , from some members of royal maids to workers and a few strange faces.

“My people , Its with great pleasure and honor , to wait this patiently for me to finally explain what we have here…”
He paused as Amukoh and Ejiofo dragged yet two unidentified males into the arena , bruised and beaten beyond compare for the people to see but this action didn’t sit down well for Chie Emeribe who had attempted to
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:41pm On Mar 09, 2020
continued

escape the scenario already but that was made impossible by the royal guards who swooped in on him .

“…it is said that if the bird who flies in the sky excretes too much dung while in air , there will be nowhere for it to perch on the ground, this I believe is the case of one of our own who is here with us , my people I was in obosara when my brother was in his final days and I indeed truly wanted to come see him and be with him but on the day I was supposed to make my journey back , one of the royal guards came down to obosara with a message from my brother who was ill, he begged me to please save his son from an impending danger to his life and his claim over the throne , he said there were people who were bent on destroying him and his family , he asked that i come when the talks of coronation was up in the air , the people of Elu , Your king, King Odum was murdered by this people you see here ..”

He said pointing to the people bound in ropes as commotion broke free among the people.

“but this people were under the commands of some persons we would never belive can perpetuate such , these people followed the commands of two chiefs who sought to take the throne for their selves ..”

Again chief Emeribe tried to break free only this time chief Ekelemchi tried as well but none was successful.
“Who are these evil doers “
“tell us their names , we will ensure they never see the light of the day !”
The crowds yelled

“I believe they have revealed their selves for us to see”
He continued allowing the guards tug them out into the open where everyone could see, both chief Ekelemchi and Emeribe stood in the presence of everyone.

“What is this , this is a lie it cant be , my brother will..”
“Mama, Uncle is right , he revealed everything for to me yesterday night , mama we were all played here but Uncle Ikenna knew found out the truth for us”

Prince Ihunna said much to the displeasure of the queen who ran out to inquire of her brother the truth.
“what is this , is this true , Ekele, did you kill odum , did you kill my husband the king so you can take the throne for yourself, hah brother would you do such a thing to your own sister ?” she screamed painfully at her brother who could say no word at the moment.

“It took the combined effort of Ogemdi , The royal bodyguard of the queen Ejiofo who Amukoh after I secretly called him to let him know of what was happening too to fish out all those responsible here , the bribery , the looting , the abuse of power by this two men knew no bounds , it was the combined handiwork of these two evil men to kill the prince and I and when they couldn’t as you can see the remaining two were caught and interrogated after which they confessed but the chiefs wanted to frame me up for it but the gods bear me judged when it was due, we have all been scarred of a man eater in the bush who seizes people at will but here these people have proven worst so I ask you my people who really is a man eater , I say it’s a man who would kill his brother , his family , his friends for greed , it is the man whose claws do not tear flesh but tears emotions, bonds , traditions and customs for greed , a man eater is anyone out there whose denies his fellow man their right to happiness, success and dreams , I say it again a man eater is not a just a wild animal ,they are camouflaged as friends , even families ,neighbors , it is everyone out there who has denied and sold his humanity for nothing , that is the real man eater”

Prince Ikenna said amidst praises from everyone as the guards carried the culprits away from the scene.

“Ehn Prince Ikenna you have indeed done well and to our people , this in fact is truly a great day upon the events ,we the chiefs unanimously have chosen a new king , one who best suits the people , one who we believe has the affairs of the people at heart, with the omission of those two evil doers and the those who supported chief Emeribe’s bid for the throne , we have chosen a king and a new royal adviser , the personal hand of the king , Prince Ihunna you have been deemed worthy by us all to succeed the throne …”

The crowd erupted with celebrations immediately.
“..and Prince Ikenna we charge you if you would be kind enough to be the new hand of the king and help ensure his reign?”
Chief Eze asked again silence ensured as Prince Ikenna walked up to prince Ihunna and then bowed his head down for the young prince.
“it will be my pleasure to work with and for my king and my people”
Prince Ikenna said with a smile.

Again the crowd went agog in celebrations, in the distance Azu the hunter leads the remaining two hunters to the gathering , over his shoulder is the huge lifeless body of the elusive man eater , a tiger.

THE END.
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by WriterX(m): 8:49pm On Mar 09, 2020
Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by bluebay(m): 9:40pm On Mar 09, 2020
Mad o

1 Like

Re: Man Eater By A Henry Complete by Ann2012(f): 12:10pm On Mar 10, 2020
Your Stories are on point cool

Well done OP

(1) (Reply)

? / Points On Debate Topic- Will Artificial Intelligence Surpass Human Intelligence? / Need Excellent Writers: 3 Naira Per Word.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 246
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.