Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,886 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:38 AM

I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. (42972 Views)

Is It Really Difficult To Find A Life Partner In US Or Canada? / Migration: The Long Road To Canada / Nigerians Who Used World Cup As Migration Strategy Stranded In Russia Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by enemyofprogress: 3:15pm On Mar 11, 2020
The winner is Canada
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by GregJames(m): 3:21pm On Mar 11, 2020
Coronavirus
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by AnthonyAk(m): 3:33pm On Mar 11, 2020
those courses u guys studied will be hard to get jobs
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by equilogng: 3:44pm On Mar 11, 2020
Canada is best but try learn a skill like Forklift to increase your value and chances.
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by revolt(m): 3:53pm On Mar 11, 2020
After shouting saibaba. change ....4+4... now una wan run. You must stay o

3 Likes

Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Dkyz(m): 3:56pm On Mar 11, 2020
Iamsoworried123:
Hi guys!

I and a friend are looking to migrate to the same country by January 2021 via post-graduate studies and we don't want to make the wrong decision. Your advice would be appreciated.

We've narrowed the countries down to three (U.S, Canada, and the U.K.). Although the dream country is the U.S., we're looking for one out of these three that is;

A. Easy to get a job in and stay back after graduation (with a high chance of getting a residence permit)

B. Relatively inexpensive (Although cost would not be a big issue, but the easier it is to get funding and GA positions, the better)

Quick profile of the two of us;

Person A studied Geology

Person B studied History and International Studies

I'm aware those in the STEM field have a higher chance of getting jobs and it's difficult to get a H1-B U.S Visa (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Given the recent change in U.S. immigration laws, which one of these three countries do we stand the highest chance of getting jobs and residing after studies?

Please advise.

Thank you very much!

Can this get to the front page, please? I need as many contributions as I can get. Thanks.

Remove the 3 of them. The only thing free in those places is Oxygen.

Go for a country in the EU... France or Germany per say. Russia is another awesome place to study. They won't reject your visa application for no reason like USA scums

2 Likes

Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Gerrard59(m): 4:02pm On Mar 11, 2020
Lakeland4321:
Let me give you a brief opinion about each country:
US - Their schools are overrated and expensive. Upon graduation you will not be allowed to stay back except it's an IVY league schools ( Harvard, yale, princeton, Stanford, Columbia MIT, Brown etc) since you want to relocate US is a no no

Canada - this is by far the best choice for the following reasons
1.) Affordable school fees
2.) Friendly and tolerate environment
3.) You can stay back after graduation with a post graduate work permit (pgwp), its 1 yr prep for 1 yrs program and 3yr pgwp for programs of 2yrs or more. This us important because you are expected to use the work permit to get a job and process your permanent residence.

With this canada far outweigh the others for young single guys and even families.

Go to canada and see yourself prosper

The US has the highest amount of universities across the three most recognised higher education ranking agencies (ARWU, QS and THEHigherEducation). So it's amusing when you state the bold. Expensive? Yes. Certainly not overrated. Moreover, there are many other top schools aside Ivy league + institutions and unlike Canada, the funding opportunities are immense. Same Canada you mentioned has a higher visa refusal for African and Nigerian students (8 out of 10 Nigerian prospective students are denied student's visas - https://studentimmigration.ca/canada-rejects-most-african-students/). Additionally, scholarships in Canadian universities are far and in between which mainly cater to the top 1% of students.

The US might have her flaws but for a Nigerian who cannot afford huge fees (10 million plus) or compete for scholarships, it's the most preferable option. With a degree from a R2 universities in the US, a tenacious individual can work anywhere.

7 Likes

Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Mrves111: 4:29pm On Mar 11, 2020
I wonder why some of us are discouraging the one that studied geology to change to IT course related. Do you think that people studying geosciences, especially geophysics are not being taught on how to use IT applications in the interpretation of geophysical problems. There's a wide use of applications like python, Ubuntu, Matlab, etc in deep machine learning, geophysical inversion, seismological studies. Note that machine learning with the used of the various algorithm model is vital in understanding facies distribution, identification of both structural and stratigraphic traps in oil exploration , subsurface exploration, earthquake studies, geothermal energy, etc. The guy that studied geology have a wide range of opportunities in this modern world relating to understanding the subsurface. I will appeal to us to know facts before discouraging anybody. Thank you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Kendroid: 4:39pm On Mar 11, 2020
Stallion93:
It is not up for debate bro. Not everyone has 2 complete hemispheres of the brain
Yea, just like you!
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Stallion93(m): 4:41pm On Mar 11, 2020
Kendroid:

Yea, just like me!
Exactly
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by jesmond3945: 4:42pm On Mar 11, 2020
fineyemi:
my boss. I heard so too. Am into information security and I have a skill in CCTV camera installation. Dully certified. I will like to know more about data analytics with Python.

Do you havve any link on YouTube. I want you to be my coach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfscVS0vtbw&list=WL&index=9&t=0s
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by jesmond3945: 4:44pm On Mar 11, 2020
trilobite:

So there is no IT in geology? You realize it's a STEM field?
only gis and remote sensing which is not even in demand in obodo oyibo. infact geology has been struck out from SOC, UK
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by nextstep(m): 4:59pm On Mar 11, 2020
Geology. History and International Studies bah?

US citizens with these degrees are either waiting tables or driving taxis. No kidding.

I'm an advocate for higher education, and traveling abroad for it. But to be brutally honest, google: "Half of China's billionaires don't have a degree". I'm assuming similar percentage for higher education (e.g. masters or another bachelor's). You already have higher education. The money that will be spent on further education would be much much better utilized in a business.

I realize many people are not built to be entrepreneurs with the stress and risk it entails. I will say this though: if you migrate, you will become yet another wage slave. Unless you're very very careful with your planning and finances, you will spend 20-30 years of your life abroad, with nothing but a mortgage, a couple cars, and perhaps a little retirement nest egg. Which is fine.

When you are able to scrape a few thousand dollars together so you can visit Nigeria once a year, you will see your mates have become directors, MDs, ambassadors, landlords, etc. Your Nigerian-based mates are able to buy houses in US outright with cash, while you're still on year 20 of your mortgage.

Mature economies do not have the same opportunities like developing ones. Ask China.

Nigeria is hard, but opportunities abound. Who owns all the factories, housing estates, clubs, hotels, IT companies all over? No be person?

6 Likes

Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by jimmynauty: 5:05pm On Mar 11, 2020
follow joing oh
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Jeriga2so(m): 5:12pm On Mar 11, 2020
Leave US 4 nw ,Canada better
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by jimmynauty: 5:15pm On Mar 11, 2020
LTRAVIS:
Everybody they run leave naija issorite

no mata how many tons of water or na volumse sef water u collect e go relace am immediately...me fa na go to oh
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Kfed4ril(m): 5:20pm On Mar 11, 2020
mrLj:
Canada top the list.

However, Ireland is also a perfect option too because of the way their immigration law works.

Pls can you educate me
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Lakeland4321: 5:23pm On Mar 11, 2020
Gerrard59:

The US has the highest amount of universities across the three most recognised higher education ranking agencies (ARWU, QS and THEHigherEducation). So it's amusing when you state the bold. Expensive? Yes. Certainly not overrated. Moreover, there are many other top schools aside Ivy league + institutions and unlike Canada, the funding opportunities are immense. Same Canada you mentioned has a higher visa refusal for African and Nigerian students (8 out of 10 Nigerian prospective students are denied student's visas - https://studentimmigration.ca/canada-rejects-most-african-students/). Additionally, scholarships in Canadian universities are far and in between which mainly cater to the top 1% of students.

The US might have her flaws but for a Nigerian who cannot afford huge fees (10 million plus) or compete for scholarships, it's the most preferable option. With a degree from a R2 universities in the US, a tenacious individual can work anywhere.
He wants to relocate and settle after graduation. That is his first priority. School ranking is the least of his problems. US will not be an option for scholarships except he has a very high gmat score (top 5% percentile). You praise US as if it's an Eldorado. It lags behind many countries in several indexes. Health care alone is a disaster. Why do you think many Nigerians are opting for Canada nowadays. US has long lost its glory years. US also has a high refusal rate for students too.

Let them research at choose what's best for them. Especially for staying back and living a decent safe life

4 Likes

Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by darediamond(m): 5:27pm On Mar 11, 2020
ifeanyija:
with this coronavirus everywhere?

Abi oo!!

The pesin we no go rich torrow, na to die today oo!!!
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by LandAndHomes: 5:29pm On Mar 11, 2020
Please can i get an information on Germany, i am looking at it for MBA.
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by darediamond(m): 5:30pm On Mar 11, 2020
nextstep:

US citizens with these degrees are either waiting tables or driving taxis. No kidding.

I'm an advocate for higher education, and traveling abroad for it. But to be brutally honest, google: "Half of China's billionaires don't have a degree". I'm assuming similar percentage for higher education (e.g. masters or another bachelor's). You already have higher education. The money that will be spent on further education would be much much better utilized in a business.

I realize many people are not built to be entrepreneurs with the stress and risk it entails. I will say this though: if you migrate, you will become yet another wage slave. Unless you're very very careful with your planning and finances, you will spend 20-30 years of your life abroad, with nothing but a mortgage, a couple cars, and perhaps a little retirement nest egg. Which is fine.

When you are able to scrape a few thousand dollars together so you can visit Nigeria once a year, you will see your mates have become directors, MDs, ambassadors, landlords, etc. Your Nigerian-based mates are able to buy houses in US outright with cash, while you're still on year 20 of your mortgage.

Mature economies do not have the same opportunities like developing ones. Ask China.

Nigeria is hard, but opportunities abound. Who owns all the factories, housing estates, clubs, hotels, IT companies all over? No be person?

Will THEY EVER LISTEN TO YOUR LIFE SAVING WORDS OF ADVISE?
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Kfed4ril(m): 5:30pm On Mar 11, 2020
mrLj:
Canada top the list.

However, Ireland is also a perfect option too because of the way their immigration law works.

Pls educate me.
Thanks
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Gerrard59(m): 5:32pm On Mar 11, 2020
Lakeland4321:
He wants to relocate and settle after graduation. That is his first priority. School ranking is the least of his problems. US will not be an option for scholarships except he has a very high gmat score (top 5% percentile). You praise US as if it's an Eldorado. It lags behind many countries in several indexes. Health care alone is a disaster. Why do you think many Nigerians are opting for Canada nowadays. US has long lost its glory years. US also has a high refusal rate for students too.

Let them research at choose what's best for them. Especially for staying back and living a decent safe life

OK. We agree to disagree. Maybe for MBA which I think OP is not targeting but people get scholarships for graduate studies (graduate assistantships, research sponsorship, fellowships etc) with GRE scores outside the top 5%.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Gerrard59(m): 5:41pm On Mar 11, 2020
nextstep:

While I agree with you, it's important to understand most of these companies especially IT were founded by folks who studied abroad and returned (with second citizenship). Then again, being entrepreneur in a place where electricity isn't constant and purchasing power is declining isn't for the fainthearted.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by bravesoul247(m): 5:41pm On Mar 11, 2020
mrLj:
Canada top the list.

how does it work? Please tell me more.
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by RaptorX: 5:44pm On Mar 11, 2020
People still want to relocate to Babylon at this 1 minute to midnight when the universal referee is about to blow the whistle after we have been in overtime. Lol you people will be alright.

1 Like

Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by lebron7(m): 5:47pm On Mar 11, 2020
agabaI23:
you are probably not aware of recent happenings
Ok
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Collins4u1(m): 5:51pm On Mar 11, 2020
Lemme learn
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by alamin0506(m): 5:57pm On Mar 11, 2020
You see my friend I will be very brief on this, The state of the nation is worrisome but I bet you their are still thousand and one out there who don't even know or care who is rilling, do you know why? Because things are going fine with them. Nigeria is bless land that very money can give you a very good investment in Nigeria and over time you might decide going on vacation.Be wise if you choose to speak to me will drop my digit so we talk better on this

2 Likes

Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by Sammiel: 6:06pm On Mar 11, 2020
bravesoul247:
how does it work? Please tell me more.
Cost of living is damn high in Ireland. And for an economy that is just recovering from depression, jobs may not be readily available. Do your research and be sure that you have the most current information.
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by dckng16(m): 6:17pm On Mar 11, 2020
China. They ve made their immigration is easy for foreigners wink
Re: I Need Your Migration Advice Please, I'm About To Make A Life Changing Decision. by sylve11: 6:26pm On Mar 11, 2020
Hmmmm cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Woman From Abeokuta Hit By A Car In Agege (Photo) / How People Are Risking Their Lives In Oshodi (photos) / Container Falls Off Ojuelegba Bridge In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.