Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,278 members, 7,780,634 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:12 PM

10 Most Developed Countries In Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa (18945 Views)

Seven (7) Most Developed Cities In Nigeria. In Order Of Development IMHO / Top 10 Poorest Countries In Africa 2019 / The Top 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Softcash(m): 3:40pm On Mar 12, 2020
10 MOST DEVELOPED COUNTRIES IN AFRICA

10 Most Developed Countries in Africa

HOW ARE THE MOST DEVELOPED COUNTRIES IN AFRICA PICKED

The most developed countries in Africa come from the United Nations Development Programme latest report (2019). Every year, the organization releases indices and indicators on key human development. The data reported gives an overview of the state of development across the world and helps in identifying long term trends and improvement areas.

Developed countries are measured using the Human Development Index (HDI), the data collected is used to rate countries according to life expectancy and health, economic growth, standard of living and education. Globally, many regions show considerable improvements.

Below are the 10 most developed countries in Africa, based on the Human Development Index.

TOP 10 MOST DEVELOPED COUNTRIES IN AFRICA

1. SEYCHELLES

With approximately 95,500 inhabitants (2018), Seychelles drives most of its economic growth through tourism. This has been gradually moving the country’s position towards upper-middle-income. One of the main challenges for Seychelles is reduce its dependence on tourism. This could be achieved by attracting investments in other business sectors.

Global rank – 62

Life expectancy – 73.7 years

Expected years of schooling – 14

Mean years of schooling – 9.5

Gross National Income per Capita – 26,077

2. MAURITIUS

After gaining its independence in 1968, Mauritius has managed to greatly improve and stabilize its economy. With its 1.3 million multicultural inhabitants, the country is considered as one of the most promising countries in Africa. One of the key challenges of Mauritius is reducing income-based inequality, which has been on the rise as the economy progresses.

Global rank – 66

Life expectancy – 74.9

Expected years of schooling – 15.1

Mean years of schooling – 9.3

Gross National Income per Capita – 20,189

3. ALGERIA

Algeria is a major player in the MENA region and has achieved a remarkable feat by reducing poverty by 20% in the past two decades. The largely positive economic performance of the country has improved development and greatly contributed to socio-economic stability. On the downside, depressed oil prices has brought a rapid decline to Algeria’s currency reserves.

Global rank – 85

Life expectancy – 76.3

Expected years of schooling – 14.4

Mean years of schooling – 8.0

Gross National Income per Capita – 13,802

4. TUNISIA

With a relatively turbulent past, Tunisia has gradually been developing into a more stable economy. The country is slowly recovering from the years of conflict and growth is steadily gaining momentum. Tunisia’s economy is mainly supported by tourism, agriculture and electrical and mechanical exports. Poverty remains a major roadblock for the North African country’s ambitions – certain regions show up to 30.8 percent of the population living in dire conditions.

Global rank – 95

Life expectancy – 75.9

Expected years of schooling – 15.1

Mean years of schooling – 7.2

Gross National Income per Capita – 10,275

5. BOTSWANA

Botswana gained its independence in 1966 – at that time, it was one of the poorest countries in the world. Yet, it quickly became an example of development success on the African continent; averaging 5% growth per annum over the past decade. The economy is mainly driven by mining, construction and the service sector. One major problem the country has to deal with is poverty, which is due to high unemployment.

Global rank – 101

Life expectancy – 67.6

Expected years of schooling – 12.6

Mean years of schooling – 9.3

Gross National Income per Capita – 15,534

6. LIBYA

In the coming years, Libya could become a very big player in oil exports. Improved political arrangements have seen the country develop considerably over a short period of time. As growth steadies, inflation will most likely slow down. Over the past years, cumulative inflation has pushed a good number of Libyan households in poverty, as many lost almost 80 percent of their purchasing power.

Global rank – 108

Life expectancy – 72.1

Expected years of schooling – 13.4

Mean years of schooling – 7.3

Gross National Income per Capita – 11,100

7. GABON

Gabon is the fifth largest oil producer in Africa and has one of the highest urbanization rates on the African continent. The upper-middle-income has known strong development over the past decade, which was mainly driven by its production of oil and manganese. The oil sector accounts for 45% of the country’s GDP and 60% of fiscal revenue on average over the past years. As the country’s oil reserves face a decline, Gabon are looking for other areas of expansion. Investments in the private sector is encouraged as the country looks to break free of their reliance on the oil sector.

Global rank – 110

Life expectancy – 66.5

Expected years of schooling – 12.8

Mean years of schooling – 8.2

Gross National Income per Capita – 16,431

8. SOUTH AFRICA

With its highly developed economy and advanced economic infrastructure, South Africa is a major player on the African continent. Being one of the world’s largest producers and exporters of gold and platinum, the country has considerably developed its financial, legal, energy and transport sectors. Lately, progress has been slowing down and South Africa is known to have one of the highest inequality rates in the world.

Global rank – 113

Life expectancy – 63.4

Expected years of schooling – 13.3

Mean years of schooling – 10.1

Gross National Income per Capita – 11,923

9. EGYPT

Since early 2014, Egypt has been constantly improving its economic activities. Amendments and reforms adopted seem to bear their fruits as the country has seen their GDP grow by 5.3%. Export of goods and services, improvement in foreign exchange reserves and a more dynamic tourism sector have greatly contributed to massive development in Egypt. The coming years will tell if the government manages to cut down the unemployment rate and improve the weak health care system of the country.

Global rank – 114

Life expectancy – 71.7

Expected years of schooling – 13.1

Mean years of schooling – 7.2

Gross National Income per Capita – 10,355

10. MOROCCO

Morocco’s economy is solid and versatile. The country has seen unexpected growth in various industries over the past years. Lately, the country is facing an economic slowdown; this has not prevented them from engaging in massive development. Currently, the country is focusing on enhancing its high-value added industries and this has brought about a strong recovery on the European market. The main challenge remains booting the private sector to encourage job creation for the younger generation.

Global rank – 123

Life expectancy – 76.1

Expected years of schooling – 12.4

Mean years of schooling – 5.5

Gross National Income per Capita – 7,340

INVESTING IN THE MOST DEVELOPED COUNTRIES IN AFRICA

The African continent has a huge potential for further growth. This makes Africa a very good investment opportunity – many companies have seized this occasion to expand their business to the continent. Countless organizations have already taken the leap and are now enjoying the privilege of being onboard at the ‘right time’. Ultimately, the cost of getting a business up and running in Africa will be as outrageously expensive (think of expanding a business to Europe, USA or even Asia).

Expanding in the most developed countries may not be an easy task; governing laws pertaining to business operations, employment, tax compliance, offshore services or even expat immigration will vastly differ depending on where you want to settle down. Registering an entity in many regions across Africa can take a long time.

http://africa-hr.com/blog/most-developed-countries-in-africa/

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by EliteStriker(m): 3:44pm On Mar 12, 2020
Libya and Gabon above Nigeria? That is interesting, why don't you add Somalia too.

11 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by viyon02: 3:46pm On Mar 12, 2020
Hahhahahahahahaa, this can't be normal without Nigeria in the list. We are not that worst.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by cRobo: 4:00pm On Mar 12, 2020
Let me check Synchelles currency exchange to Nigeria

Before I I say a word

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Afospecialk: 4:06pm On Mar 12, 2020
Am not sure if the Population of these countries all together ar not up to 200m

Consequently, its easy to manage those small countries

Botswana and Gabon on the list ?

Nigeria remain the giant of Africa

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by chukwunedum150(m): 4:12pm On Mar 12, 2020
YEYE RANKING

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by USAPhoneNumber7: 4:14pm On Mar 12, 2020
Interesting

I thought Libya was recently classified as a failed state

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Amotolongbo(f): 4:46pm On Mar 12, 2020
cRobo:

Before I I say a word
Currency value is not really useful in HDI

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by adekolaelect(m): 4:51pm On Mar 12, 2020
Your mumu never tire .so Nigeria is not among OK continue .

5 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 12, 2020
K

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Sam0(m): 5:06pm On Mar 12, 2020
Why won't they develop when they have few population.But come to Nigeria where a state alone is more than 2 or more African countries combined together.we have failed to use our population to our advantage hence we are poverty capital of the world.we need to put over population in check.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 12, 2020
Egypt? Gabon? Botswana? Really? I don't know about the other 7 listed (except for Morocco which I agree with), but these 3 are not as developed as Nigeria. Unless the measurement of development used is a novel one I've never come across before.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Justiceleague1: 5:30pm On Mar 12, 2020
cRobo:

Before I I say a word

#26.8 to one Seychelles rupees
Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Justiceleague1: 5:31pm On Mar 12, 2020
RisenPhoenix:
Egypt? Gabon? Botswana? Really? I don't know about the other 7 listed (except for Morocco which I agree with), but these 3 are not as developed as Nigeria. Unless the measurement of development used is a novel one I've never come across before.

Please wake up

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by cRobo: 5:34pm On Mar 12, 2020
Justiceleague1:

#26.8 to one Seychelles rupees

not worth the stress I must say

I friend traveled there in December now he is Abuja roaming, he don't want to come to lagos so people will be asking what's happening

look well before you leap

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 5:35pm On Mar 12, 2020
Justiceleague1:

Please wake up

I am wide awake.

Please name one index in any field of development where Egypt outpaces Nigeria. Or Botswana or Gabon. You need to see those places.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Justiceleague1: 5:40pm On Mar 12, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

I am wide awake.

Please name one index in any field of development where Egypt outpaces Nigeria. Or Botswana or Gabon. You need to see those places.
Have been to Gabon.
Power supply is almost on 24 hrs basis. Same thing in once ebola ravaged Congo.

Exchange rates btwn Nigeria and Egypt, Seychelles, Botswana,...don't even smell there...

9 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 5:43pm On Mar 12, 2020
RisenPhoenix:
[s]

I am wide awake.

Please name one index in any field of development where Egypt outpaces Nigeria. Or Botswana or Gabon. You need to see those places.[/s]
Egypt outpaces Nigeria in whatever rank of development one can think of

17 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by BlackfireX: 5:44pm On Mar 12, 2020
Come which one will Nigeria be the top 10. ...
Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 5:45pm On Mar 12, 2020
Afospecialk:

China is supposed to be super wretched then

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 12, 2020
BeLookingIDIOT:

Egypt outpaces Nigeria in whatever rank of development one can think of

Name one 'rank' that you thought of.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 5:48pm On Mar 12, 2020
I can only spot three black countries on the list.One,South Africa,development is due to whites.
Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 5:49pm On Mar 12, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

Name one 'rank' that you thought of.
Bros,some are already clearly listed out there

7 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by chozzy: 5:57pm On Mar 12, 2020
EliteStriker:
Libya and Gabon above Nigeria? That is interesting, why don't you add Somalia too.

Oga, many places in Libya actually look like Europe.

I don't know about Gabon (never been there) but the gap between
Libya and Nigeria is far far wide.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by chozzy: 6:02pm On Mar 12, 2020
Afospecialk:

ZOMBIES often reason upside down.

China's population is more than the population of all African countries put together.
While China is 1.4b people, Africa is just 1.2b yet, China is making much more progress with
their thick population.

What about India with a population of 1.3b people also bigger than all of Africa put together?

Oga, travel, travel, travel ... or at least read, read and read wide. Stop the empty chest beating.
ZOMBIES are annoyingly too timid.

You should have known long ago that Botswana is among top most developed countries in Africa.
Stop exposing your ignorance. I learnt about Botswana over 10yrs ago.

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by chozzy: 6:28pm On Mar 12, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

I am wide awake.

Illiteracy is actually a disease.

Oga, in what way are you comparing Nigeria to Egypt?
What does Nigeria have?

Lol ... you're laughable, I swear!
See, Egypt, Botswana, Algeria, South Africa, Libya, Morocco, Mauritius, Seychelles
and Tunisia actually compares with Europe.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by mcemmy0z: 6:46pm On Mar 12, 2020
EliteStriker:

1 Share

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 6:57pm On Mar 12, 2020
chozzy:

Illiteracy is actually a disease.

Oga, in what way are you comparing Nigeria to Egypt?
What does Nigeria have?

Lol ... you're laughable, I swear!
See, Egypt, Botswana, Algeria, South Africa, Libya, Morocco, Mauritius, Seychelles
and Tunisia actually compares with Europe.

I have visited 4 of the listed countries as well as Europe. In no way are they comparable. Also, of the 4 on the list that I visited, there was no indication that the 3 I mentioned earlier were more developed than Nigeria. I question your statement. What index do you use as a measure for your assertion? Stop speaking in generalities.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by chozzy: 7:11pm On Mar 12, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

I have visited 4 of the listed countries as well as Europe. In no way are they comparable. Also, of the 4 on the list that I visited, there was no indication that the 3 I mentioned earlier were more developed than Nigeria. I question your statement. What index do you use as a measure for your assertion? Stop speaking in generalities.

Bro, from the list below, mention the 3 or 4 countries you visited that are not better than Nigeria by far?
I challenge you!

Egypt
Botswana
Algeria
South Africa
Libya
Morocco
Mauritius
Seychelles
Tunisia

See, let Nigeria develop its cities, education sector, health sector,
provide 24hr power supply, build standard roads/rails and reduce current poverty level.

We have a very long way to go.

And by the way, why look down on Egypt?
In terms of physical development/infrastructure, South Africa and Egypt top the list.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by Nobody: 7:16pm On Mar 12, 2020
chozzy:

Bro, from the list below, mention the 3 or 4 countries you visited that are not better than Nigeria by far?
I challenge you!

Egypt
Botswana
Algeria
South Africa
Libya
Morocco
Mauritius
Seychelles
Tunisia

See, let Nigeria develop its cities, education sector, health sector,
provide 24hr power supply, build standard roads/rails and reduce current poverty level.

We have a very long way to go

I already have, in an earlier comment. Check it pls.

I have not visited Libya, but I also doubt that in its current state, it has a better development index than Nigeria.
Re: 10 Most Developed Countries In Africa by engrchykae(m): 7:22pm On Mar 12, 2020
Justiceleague1:

Please wake up
even rwanda is ahead of us.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Ngọzi Eziulo, Ebonyi Lawker Denied Salary For 12 Months For Refusal To Join APC / Rivers Sends Its Destitute To Home States, Plans Another / Jonathan Will Handover On 29 May – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.