Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

Does Being A Graduate Of A Private University In Nigeria Give You An Edge In The Labour Market - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Does Being A Graduate Of A Private University In Nigeria Give You An Edge In The Labour Market (2483 Views)

Graduate Of University Of Abuja Frying Akara / 8 Reasons You Should Never Take A Private School Teaching Job / Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Being A Graduate Of A Private University In Nigeria Give You An Edge In The Labour Market by scotia(f): 8:11am On Dec 23, 2010
With the unemployment rate in Nigeria at an all time high, I'd love to know if being a graduate of a private university in Nigeria give you any edge in the labour market.
Re: Does Being A Graduate Of A Private University In Nigeria Give You An Edge In The Labour Market by medjai(m): 10:25am On Dec 23, 2010
Well, in the broadest sense, no. There are only two types of degrees: local and foreign. I graduated from a private university myself - Covenant University and I know how I struggled before I got my present job.
However, there are one off cases when you are considered. I remember when Global Fleet were recruiting and Covenant University graduates were given 'special treatment' - they were automatically selected for interview without any written test while graduates from other institutions had to first do some written tests. But then, Jimoh Ibrahim is a member of the board of regents of CU. I don't know about other schools but as a CU graduate, there are few cases when your being a CU graduate opens doors. But more often than not, they don't care
Re: Does Being A Graduate Of A Private University In Nigeria Give You An Edge In The Labour Market by AjanleKoko: 12:25pm On Dec 23, 2010
medjai:

Well, in the broadest sense, no. There are only two types of degrees: local and foreign. I graduated from a private university myself - Covenant University and I know how I struggled before I got my present job.
However, there are one off cases when you are considered. I remember when Global Fleet were recruiting and Covenant University graduates were given 'special treatment' - they were automatically selected for interview without any written test while graduates from other institutions had to first do some written tests. But then, Jimoh Ibrahim is a member of the board of regents of CU.  I don't know about other schools but as a CU graduate, there are few cases when your being a CU graduate opens doors. But more often than not, they don't care

And rightly so. All university graduates, foreign or local, public or private, should have an equal shot at proving their worth.

scotia:

With the unemployment rate in Nigeria at an all time high

All time high? You should have graduated in the '90s. Unemployment today is nowhere near those days, especially during the Abacha years.
Re: Does Being A Graduate Of A Private University In Nigeria Give You An Edge In The Labour Market by kodewrita(m): 12:09pm On Feb 27, 2011
Only if you have built a network in school otherwise you are just like every one else. I work for a high-paying nigerian firm and I have friends from the same class working for NLNG, Oando, Zain, MTN, CBN, AIICO etc.

Granted there are people who have not gotten in yet but consulting firms seem to like us though. Visit KPMG and see lots of Covenant and Bowen Univ students. same for Accenture and PWC.

besides the smaller class size means that info flows much faster and you can hear of job openings faster. for example, anytime my company asks staff to recommend new employees, I send invites to all friends and in a matter of hours you see CVs pouring in from other schoolmates that I dont even know.

its all about your personal network but since your classmates are usually kids of CEOs, senators and Entrepreneurs, getting a job is usually a matter of 'Daddy' talking to his buddies at Ikoyi Club.

(1) (Reply)

Free Acca Study Materials / Auto Gele Training... Make Hay While The Sun Shines / Smile To D Bank Every 28 Days. Its Legit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.