Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,385 members, 7,808,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:57 AM

Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. (6052 Views)

The 3 Tribes That Make Up Rivers State And The LGAs They Occupy..(Photos). / 10 Richest States In Nigeria Based On Internally Generated Revenues / Destroying Alleged Great Igbo Domination By Minority Ethnic Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Sammy07: 6:46pm On Mar 13, 2020
babyfaceafrica:
are they native there?

The Apoi's of ondo state are not yorubas, they migrated from Apoi clan in Bayelsa state just like the Arogbos that migrated from Gbaraun in Bayelsa state...the Apoi's bear Yoruba names nd speak like them because of the influence of their neighbours I.e the ikales and the Ilajes..Even the arogbos include some Yoruba words to the Ijaw dialect they speak...As I am talking to you, the Apoi's have traced their origin to the Apoi clan of Bayelsa state which speak the same dialect ijaw like the Arogbos and have started calling their kids ijaw names

2 Likes

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Sammy07: 6:47pm On Mar 13, 2020
babyfaceafrica:

Are those plenty... Native!!

They are not native
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by OROSUNBOLB(m): 6:57pm On Mar 13, 2020
Blue3k:
When are we going to talk about doing a real census? It's been over a decade sonce the last one. This issue would be settled if the government did it's job.

T

This list wont be correct since all these people live everywhere. You can find Ibibio in In cross river and Lagos for example.

This research was done based on indigeneship, not overall population outside the native homelands of these ethnic groups.

Of your course you can find Ibibio or any other non Yoruba tribes in Lagos but they are certainty not indigenes of Lagos. The Op anticipated a concern like yours and that is why he brilliantly put the bolded clause there.

1 Like

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by 9japride(m): 7:25pm On Mar 13, 2020
Islamist:

That guy is not from the South East
[color=#006600][/color]

Don't mind him, people can like to post nonsense online
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by edoairways: 8:24pm On Mar 13, 2020
Nowenuse good job at least minority get hope small

1 Like

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by edoairways: 8:28pm On Mar 13, 2020
senatordave1:

Why don't you do something to unravel the population of pagans and atheists in nigeria.i realized that most of those that the media classify as christians are not Christians its a wrong generalization.in rural cross river,most of the people are not Christians nd have never set foot in church.they are largely traditional worshippers but when there's an attack there,they will be labelled as christian areas.
That is the media for you. They only focus on one area without considering others

2 Likes

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by pazienza(m): 8:30pm On Mar 13, 2020
Nowenuse.

Good attempt.
You got the Igala position in Igboland right.
Truth is you can never please everyone.

But overall, you did a good job.

Footnote : Maybe you should edit the number 1 to "Annang-Efik-Ibibio-Oron". Oron is too big and distinct enough to be put under Ibibio.

Once again, good job.

3 Likes

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by scholes0(m): 9:05pm On Mar 13, 2020
Add Bassa Nge to the Nupe cluster at #6... so that is also half of Bassa LGA.
Jukuns are overcounted, they do not constitute a majority in that many LGAs.

Try and se the word 'cluster' when describing multiple distinct but related ethnic groups, so that people know you are talking f a grouping which might include even more members that may or may not be listed.

i.e The "Efik-Ibibio-Oron-Annang" cluster
The "Jukun and related peoples cluster"
The "Afenmai people cluster"

Overall, good job and I salute the hours of research you must have put into this, because I can actually relate.

2 Likes

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Nowenuse: 9:19pm On Mar 13, 2020
senatordave1:

Oga,stop this man before you get yourself in trouble.oron is not a sub group of efik or even ibibio,dont ever try that again.are you for real.that is how you claim that uyo is bigger than calabar.you are beginning to enrage me,limit your wild speculations to the northern tribes.even ibibio that is closer to efik in culture is not even seen as a surgeon of efik or vice versa.if you are ready,lets go to oron and interview them personally

Okay, sorry for that.

Most Orons speak Efik as a 2nd language and seem very proud to identity with Efik. But they seem not to be too cool with Ibibio.
I have asked some Orons if they considered themselves a part of Efik and they gave the affirmative.

How about Eket (Ekid) being a subgroup of Ibibio?

The funny thing is that in many colonial documents, all Efiks, Anangs, Oros and everyone else were classified as Ibibios.

pazienza:
Nowenuse.

Good attempt.
You got the Igala position in Igboland right.
Truth is you can never please everyone.

But overall, you did a good job.

Footnote : Maybe you should edit the number 1 to "Annang-Efik-Ibibio-Oron". Oron is too big and distinct enough to be put under Ibibio.

Once again, good job.

1 Like

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Nowenuse: 9:21pm On Mar 13, 2020
SlayerForever:
1) Tiv is number 2 after Ibibio. Take it or leave it.

2) Hausa-Fulani are the smallest majority ethnic group amongst the big 3. Take it or leave it.

In the first census that was conducted in the Northern protectorate, Tivs were 350,000 while Kanuris were 450,000.

1 Like

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Nowenuse: 9:41pm On Mar 13, 2020
scholes0:
Add Bassa Nge to the Nupe cluster at #6... so that is also half of Bassa LGA.
Jukuns are overcounted, they do not constitute a majority in that many LGAs.

Try and se the word 'cluster' when describing multiple distinct but related ethnic groups, so that people know you are talking f a grouping which might include even more members that may or may not be listed.

i.e The "Efik-Ibibio-Oron-Annang" cluster
The "Jukun and related peoples cluster"
The "Afenmai people cluster"

Overall, good job and I salute the hours of research you must have put into this, because I can actually relate.

All Bassa people actually speak a Nupoid language, just that they seem too big and distinct to be classified as Nupes.

They have never identified as Nupes in anyway at anytime. They have never been under a Nupe chiefdom or emirate.

Jukun is an umbrella covering all those groups I listed .. All those groups speak similar languages and understand each other..They have similar cultures and the same ancestry. The only difference is that some of them stress and emphasize on their Jukun identity more than others do. ...It's either all of them are considered Jukuns or no one is actually a Jukun. Because every Jukun man has a subgroup he belongs to. ... Nobody is Jukun just like that.

So you should be wrong by saying 'Jukun and related People's cluster'.

As for the Afemai and the others, you are very correct about the cluster thing.
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by SlayerForever: 9:52pm On Mar 13, 2020
Nowenuse:

In the first census that was conducted in the Northern protectorate, Tivs were 350,000 while Kanuris were 450,000.

If you have a screenshot or excerpt from such document share it please.
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by okpalaAnambra: 10:01pm On Mar 13, 2020
MelesZenawi:
For the last time, there are no Igalas in Anambra state.

If there exist they should be carved back to Kogi state..

They maybe in Enugu state after all Enugu is a multi lingual state but not here.
Everyone including u knows that Igala occupies anambra east esp Aguleri and Nzam ....so no need for us denying it...

1 Like

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by okpalaAnambra: 10:02pm On Mar 13, 2020
Haywhysat:
Ijaws are not the majority in ese odo local government in ondo, please correct that. Thanks
You had to quote everything BC of that small thing u wrote...
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Armaggedon: 10:07pm On Mar 13, 2020
Nowenuse, make your research well. Ibani is like a hybrid of Igbo language and Ijaw. while Bonny is mostly mixture of Igbo and Ijaw bloodline with predominantly Igbo first language, Opobo actually has very little link with Ijaw in terms of origin, bloodline etc, except it's located in the riverine culture sphere of influence. it's a mixture of Igbo, ijaw and efik with Igbo being majority. They speak Igbo, gravitate towards Abia in relations but adopt Ijaw names(although a number of them now bear Igbo first names). So it's wrong to just say Ibani is Ijaw.

5 Likes

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Nobody: 10:14pm On Mar 13, 2020
okpalaAnambra:

Everyone including u knows that Igala occupies anambra east esp Aguleri and Nzam ....so no need for us denying it...

I saw when a guy insulted you, the highest you did was to start crying to mods.

Whenever you see this moniker, your strength go come back
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by okpalaAnambra: 10:16pm On Mar 13, 2020
OROSUNBOLB:

This research was done based on indigeneship, not overall population outside the native homelands of these ethnic groups.

Of your course you can find Ibibio or any other non Yoruba tribes in Lagos but they are certainty not indigenes of Lagos. The Op anticipated a concern like yours and that is why he brilliantly put the bolded clause there.
Some people don't read thoroughly naw

1 Like

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Nobody: 10:18pm On Mar 13, 2020
-

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by oyatz(m): 11:55pm On Mar 13, 2020
Actually most of the people we call pagans are non-religious (mostly nominal christians or Muslims) people in Nigeria.

senatordave1:

Why don't you do something to unravel the population of pagans and atheists in nigeria.i realized that most of those that the media classify as christians are not Christians its a wrong generalization.in rural cross river,most of the people are not Christians nd have never set foot in church.they are largely traditional worshippers but when there's an attack there,they will be labelled as christian areas.
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by senatordave1(m): 11:56pm On Mar 13, 2020
Nowenuse:

All Bassa people actually speak a Nupoid language, just that they seem too big and distinct to be classified as Nupes.

They have never identified as Nupes in anyway at anytime. They have never been under a Nupe chiefdom or emirate.

Jukun is an umbrella covering all those groups I listed .. All those groups speak similar languages and understand each other..They have similar cultures and the same ancestry. The only difference is that some of them stress and emphasize on their Jukun identity more than others do. ...It's either all of them are considered Jukuns or no one is actually a Jukun. Because every Jukun man has a subgroup he belongs to. ... Nobody is Jukun just like that.

So you should be wrong by saying 'Jukun and related People's cluster'.

As for the Afemai and the others, you are very correct about the cluster thing.
Its safe to say that there's nothing like Jukun,its just a linguistic or political creation or a sort of confederation of different ethnicities to fight against fulani domination.it started with the formation of the kwararafa empire

1 Like

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by senatordave1(m): 11:57pm On Mar 13, 2020
oyatz:
Actually most of the people we call pagans are non-religious (mostly nominal christians or Muslims) people in Nigeria.

Yes,they make up to 20% of our population
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by senatordave1(m): 12:01am On Mar 14, 2020
SlayerForever:

If you have a screenshot or excerpt from such document share it please.
Even based on offhand counting,you can see that kanuris outnumber tivs
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by poetictwenty(m): 12:18am On Mar 14, 2020
senatordave1:
Op,the population of jukuns in taraba is overrated.they mostly occupy wukari and takum and one other lgas.the kuteb and ichens are not jukuns.the fulanis and mumuyes outnumber the jukuns

that's true,...in Takum, the Jukuns only occupy a small portion of that lga ( Mostly the city centre), the rest of the villages in Takum lga is occupied by the kuteb tribe.
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 12:20am On Mar 14, 2020
Why can't I find igbos in your list
You want to marginalize them on top minority again sad
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Antivirus92(m): 1:52am On Mar 14, 2020
MelesZenawi:
For the last time, there are no Igalas in Anambra state.

If there exist they should be carved back to Kogi state..

They maybe in Enugu state after all Enugu is a multi lingual state but not here.
what is wrong with you?

1 Like

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Antivirus92(m): 1:54am On Mar 14, 2020
senatordave1:
The largest town in anambra omor speak igala
omor does not speak igala
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Yankee101: 2:38am On Mar 14, 2020
Hausa and Fulani?
Yoruba
Igbo
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by HopeAtHand: 6:07am On Mar 14, 2020
The number of LGAs is not a really a factor in determining population as Lagos has shown.
Lagos has 20LGAs while Akwa Ibom has 31. But Lagos has almost 8x the population of Akwa Ibom.

In Rivers State, Almost 70% of people live in PH/Obio-Akpor/Ikwerre/Oyigbo/Eleme circle. That is a 5LGA spread out of 23.

What I'm saying in essence is you can have
plenty LGA and still be small in population.
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Blackking98(m): 6:13am On Mar 14, 2020
senatordave1:
Sorry for number one except you include oron and eket or ekid,ibibio and annang do not dominate 31 lgas.the oron people dominate 5 lgas which are okobo,oruko,oron and two other lgas which i cant recall.the ekid of esit eket and ever lgas say there are not ibibios.eastern obolo is mostly non ibibio same as ibeno.

For number 3,a large part of bonny and opobo nkoro are not ijaws.the ogbia's and most part of yenagoa are not ijaws.

Bukuru lg in benue is not dominated by the tiv.
oro and eket are in the same category uncle. Stick to your atam ethnicity and stop subdividing us, ahah
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Blackking98(m): 6:18am On Mar 14, 2020
senatordave1:

Oga,stop this man before you get yourself in trouble.oron is not a sub group of efik or even ibibio,dont ever try that again.are you for real.that is how you claim that uyo is bigger than calabar.you are beginning to enrage me,limit your wild speculations to the northern tribes.even ibibio that is closer to efik in culture is not even seen as a surgeon of efik or vice versa.if you are ready,lets go to oron and interview them personally
No one should reply this clown, where are you from, I'm sure your group is not even on this list, insignificant minority trying to claim itk. Have you ever been to oro? Or eket? You don't even know the correct thing,oron is an LGA while Oro is an ethnic group, you disgust me really, the same Akwa Ibom people you despise so much you still claim to know more than us, can you differentiate an oro man from an ibibio man or an Efik man from an Annang man if we're conversing in our dialect? NO . Where are you from, stay there and leave us alone
Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by Blackking98(m): 6:30am On Mar 14, 2020
Nowenuse:

Okay, sorry for that.

Most Orons speak Efik as a 2nd language and seem very proud to identity with Efik. But they seem not to be too cool with Ibibio.
I have asked some Orons if they considered themselves a part of Efik and they gave the affirmative.

How about Eket (Ekid) being a subgroup of Ibibio?

The funny thing is that in many colonial documents, all Efiks, Anangs, Oros and everyone else were classified as Ibibios.

you are actually correct, Oro is closer to Efik while eket is closer to ibibio. I'm an ibibio man with an Efik mother, my grandma lives in eket, ibibio is the most spoken language in eket, we are all the same but with some differences that are negligible, that guy quoting you is fond of subdividing us, he isn't even Efik or Akwa Ibom so why do you listen to him, I've had conversations with him before, he spews hatred for ibibios and Annang then claims love for Oro and eket, can you hate the apple tree but love the apple fruit? Impossible. Ibibio, Annang, Efik,Oro and eket we all calll God Abasi,we are all one but with some minor difference between which is normal in large ethnic groups in Nigeria, the senatordave1 guy I doubt his ethnicity is even on your list, to show u how insignificant he is. The guy irritates me. He should subdivide his ethnic group and let us be. Nsiba di se sé ayen atam ating ki inua mo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 25 Minority Ethnic Groups In Nigeria Based On Number Of Lgas They Occupy. by nsiba: 7:00am On Mar 14, 2020
senatordave1:

In this modern age and time, how do you know and study the past/origin is it by
1. Stories and tales told by our ignorant parent
2. Using DNA component of people and anthropology studies
Tell me which one as somebody with common sense

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fresh Violent Clash Between Hausa And Oyigbo Residents In Port Harcourt / Boko Haram: President Buhari Happy With Troops Performance – Defence Minister / Osinbajo: Religious Leaders Must Be Ready To Unite People Regardless Of Faith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.