Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,308 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner (39580 Views)

INEC’s Failure To E-Transmit Results Has Broken Nigerians’ Trust – Laolu Akande / 2023 Elections: My Trust Has Broken Down Completely – Soyinka / COVID-19: Wahab Adegbenro Is Dead! Ondo Health Commissioner Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by Excuzeme: 2:25pm On Mar 14, 2020
All these FALSE HOPES that our Politicians and Ministers are giving Nigerians, will put us in so much trouble if we are not lucky!

Many countries are trying to isolate this virus by breaking the TRANSMISSION CHAIN, (closing any opportunity for mass gathering movement of people).
Countries have banned travel from endemic countries but Nigerian looters who are eyeing the money allocated for tackling the spread of the Virus are only interested in that money!

How can you say there is NO RESTRICTIONS on Travel, even from countries like Italy, Iran, Spain, who account for over 85% of the spread of this Virus?
So, an Italian airline will land in Nigeria with all manner of people from Italy and you will start measuring temperature? (something that was not even done consistently as l passed through our international airport this week and no one examined all of us at that point l was there!)

Prevention is always better than Cure!
By the time we would realize we have been infected, we wont be able to cope, due to our large population, close proximity, cultural leanings and way of life and the greed of our leaders and those in authority.
We will hold these people to account, if this Virus breaks out of control in Nigeria.

I just hope and pray it will not get to this but seriously, you cant plant Okro and hope to reap Cocoyam!

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by Nodogragra4me(m): 2:26pm On Mar 14, 2020
Ravon:
Lagos State Government has disclosed that it has been able to break the circle of person-to-person transmission of COVID-19 from the index case in the State.

The Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, who disclosed this at a news briefing to give updates on the #COVID19Lagos said all other identified contacts of the index case, except the positive contact who has now tested negative to the virus and discharged, have exceeded the 14 days quarantine isolation period without symptoms.

He said, “The remaining contacts of the index case; those in Ogun and Lagos States remain symptom-free and they have exceeded their 14 days surveillance, which means that we do not expect that any of them will turn positive from direct contact with the index case”.

“In simple words, that means in Lagos, we have been able to interrupt the transmission between the index case and anybody in this environment, we have broken the circle of transmission and have not given the virus the opportunity to spread beyond one person. So, the threats posed by the index case to Lagos and Nigeria has been eliminated and we have not gotten an outbreak as a result of the interventions that took place in Lagos”, the Commissioner added.

Abayomi explained that the positive contact of the index case tested negative after two consecutive tests conducted on him, noting he has been certified to be virus-free and subsequently discharged.

“His tests initially showed that he was positive to Coronavirus twice and now, he has tested negative to the virus on two consecutive tests carried out on him”, he said.

However, on the index case, Abayomi stated that the Italian being managed at the Mainland General Hospital, Yaba remains on admission although perfectly well now, he is still secreting the virus, stressing that the patient is getting closer to being discharged as his immune system is gradually wiping out the virus.

“He is perfectly well now, we are only keeping him because he still has some secretion of the virus. The test shows that anytime from now, he may be negative. If he is negative, we will conduct another test within 48 hours after and if he is still negative, we will set him free. We are close to discharging the index case, we want to be sure he poses no danger to society anymore”, Abayomi stated.

The Commissioner, however, assured members of the public not to panic stating that government will continue to respond swiftly and take necessary actions to contain the spread of the disease, adding that the Lagos will continue to strengthen its surveillance and will be sending more medical personnel to the point of entry at the Airport.

https://lagosstate.gov.ng/blog/2020/03/14/covid19-index-case-we-have-broken-the-circle-of-transmission-lagos-health-commissioner/

Discharge that Italian into a waiting aircraft.
Treatment him like the primary source of the virus...everybody on protective gear

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by maxzzo1(m): 2:27pm On Mar 14, 2020
LibertyRep:
Nigeria media has done well to protect the identity of the Italian and the other contacts , something the English media cannot do. Now the whole world knows that Arsenal manager has Convid 19. Shior.

Even Premium Times with it's investigative journalism cannot break the impregnable circle.

I'm not saying there is no Italian, I just want to plead with them to ensure that adequate measures be put in place to prevent real and verifiable Convid 19 carrier(s) from getting to Nigeria.
Imagine Corona in the street of the overcrowded Lagos city, e don be for Nigeria be that.
Which Italian man? Scam
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by Tospringe: 2:27pm On Mar 14, 2020
letusbepieces:
See their head.

Feeling clever abi?

Go and thank God for the sun.

Na God do am.
So, why God no do am for the Brits, Italians and Mzansis. You be mumu
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by Ayobami7(m): 2:29pm On Mar 14, 2020
okay ooooo
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by backnbeta(f): 2:32pm On Mar 14, 2020
APCNig:
USA, Italy, China, Canada, UK, Germany should all swallow their non existing pride and come and beg Nigeria to teach them how to arrest and wipe out diseases. We wiped out Ebola and now Corona. This can't be a coincidence, this s result of proper planning and execution.
Says APCng undecided
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by tedimola(m): 2:33pm On Mar 14, 2020
Who is THE INDEX CASE? why is his identity hidden? Makes me feel this is just a ploy to steal money.
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by tomdon(m): 2:34pm On Mar 14, 2020
Shey dem no go even allow the cycle of two weeks complete no?
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by kingthreat(m): 2:40pm On Mar 14, 2020
You guys dud absolutely nothing. Enjoy no covid while it lasts
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by Meedon: 2:45pm On Mar 14, 2020
Bros why

mainman7:

https://www.nairaland.com/5735228/hidden-truth-how-coronavirus-created

May God save us in Africa. We shouldn't suffer for their greeds and pride that made them to be playing God over humnan lives. cry How come only Chinese Scientists know and understand this Virus than any other Country in the World? Surely, they know why they created this escaped Monster. Like if you think China is completely guilty of this evil unprecedented genocide against Humanity!

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by dederocs(m): 2:50pm On Mar 14, 2020
Stay guard still,nice work
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by quickly: 2:56pm On Mar 14, 2020
CrazyPros:
This is good news, I hope it remains that way.

They need to stop
Europeans and Asians coming in now

They are the new transmitters.

Last week USA had 1-4 cases from European travelers and in over a week 49 people have died and thousands testing positive.

To stop the spread all
Businesses are shut down for the next three weeks

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by JoseRaji(m): 2:59pm On Mar 14, 2020
Okoroawusa:
Set the Italian free to go where?

You people should respect yourselves. Abeg keep him there as long as possible. Even if he is negative. What he is going to eat is not a problem. How much can he eat in a month? I will even volunteer to be buying him mama put everyday

No sporting activities anywhere in the world for the first Saturday in a long time and you guys think it's child's play?

That Italian is going nowhere!!!
Lmao... You will soon receive call o. Shey you can be buying mama put everyday?
I even doubt that guy would want to go back to his country once he's released... That place don scatter.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by marylandcakes: 3:00pm On Mar 14, 2020
APCNig:
USA, Italy, China, Canada, UK, Germany should all swallow their non existing pride and come and beg Nigeria to teach them how to arrest and wipe out diseases. We wiped out Ebola and now Corona. This can't be a coincidence, this s result of proper planning and execution.

It will even be better if they implore that same planning into creating basic infrastructures for the common Nigerian.
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by JoseRaji(m): 3:01pm On Mar 14, 2020
EmmanuelMacron:
I love the people of Lagos and all Yoruba people scattered all around the world
I sincerely apologise for the sins of my fathers who carried you captive and scatter you all over the world
I had a wonderful experience when I did my senior service training in Lagos, Nigeria when I was 19 years old
And in 2017 after I was elected president of the republic, I have it in mind to come back to Lagos
And when I did I was given a great reception by some celebrities, I visited Fela shrine and even learned the art of drumming
My love for you people all around the world, even those still in thier lands of captivity, especially in the carribeans knows no bound.

I will come back to Lagos very soon after I'm elected the President of the World

I am Emmanuel Macron

Who is this dunce na? Can the mods remove this rubbish from NL?
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by NGpatriot: 3:01pm On Mar 14, 2020
APCNig:

If you want to contact Corona and spread it within your family, go to China or Italy. Corona has been defeated here in Nigeria even before it rears it ugly head. We defeated Ebola, so it's no surprise that we have humiliated and buried Corona.

Tell your so called develop nations to get pen and books and come and learn from Nigeria how to wipe of diseases. We are the Giant of the World, after being Giant of Africa for decades, we have arrived to take our place as the Giant of the World.

Lagos state Isolated the Italian gentleman, tested and obtained results in less than 4 hours,while in the US, the so called most powerful country in the world is still struggling to formulate a decent and coherent strategy, they can not adequately test and they don't even have enough test kits to ramp up testing.

Kudos to Lagos state and Nigeria, the Italian gentleman is lucky to sadly fall sick in Nigeria and not in his own country/Italy where over 1000 people perished already and thousands infected.

The Italian gentleman is now virus free and is able to return to his family, but I think he should stay in Nigeria for now.

When Lai Mohammed said we are ready and prepared to deal with this horrible virus, the hateful and bitter anti Nigeria crazies went berserk, they abused and insulted the man, they call him a lair, but luckily for the negative and hateful people, we showed the world once again our preparedness and capabilities.

Luckily for the loudmouths, our preparedness saved them from the horrible virus.

God Bless Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by Ekaka1(m): 3:05pm On Mar 14, 2020
24enjay:

This is to prove to you that Nigerians can manage information well when they want to, but when them wan loose guard, na excess, e dey rush pass women monthly salary
If you left this info management to Buhari...he will send the list of all those with the virus and those quarantined to BBC, Al Jazeera and CNN...the man na mouth diarrhea virus candidate grin grin
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by poiZon: 3:06pm On Mar 14, 2020
LibertyRep:
Nigeria media has done well to protect the identity of the Italian and the other contacts , something the English media cannot do. Now the whole world knows that Arsenal manager has Convid 19. Shior.

Even Premium Times with it's investigative journalism cannot break the impregnable circle.

I'm not saying there is no Italian, I just want to plead with them to ensure that adequate measures be put in place to prevent real and verifiable Convid 19 carrier(s) from getting to Nigeria.
Imagine Corona in the street of the overcrowded Lagos city, e don be for Nigeria be that.
Bros even if corona found itself either by chanceinto Lagos, no Agbero mouth odour go pursue am Comot

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by poiZon: 3:09pm On Mar 14, 2020
lagdmark:
Some Nigerians are really pained that the Coronavirus didn't cause disaster in the country.
Maybe u r one of them
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by Ekaka1(m): 3:09pm On Mar 14, 2020
Good report, the only problem I have is the line below:

“His tests initially showed that he was positive to Coronavirus twice and now, he has tested negative to the virus on two consecutive tests carried out on him”, he said.

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by NGpatriot: 3:11pm On Mar 14, 2020
lagdmark:
Some Nigerians are really pained that the Coronavirus didn't cause disaster in the country.

Yes they are very very sad and distraught.

All they hope and pray for is disaster and doom..

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by Okoroawusa: 3:14pm On Mar 14, 2020
JoseRaji:

Lmao... You will soon receive call o. Shey you can be buying mama put everyday?
I even doubt that guy would want to go back to his country once he's released... That place don scatter.
Italy is on a lockdown. The guy would be happy that he got out before the situation got out. Now he is enjoying free accommodation n feeding
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by Okoroawusa: 3:15pm On Mar 14, 2020
Ekaka1:

If you left this info management to Buhari...he will send the list of all those with the virus and those quarantined to BBC, Al Jazeera and CNN...the man na mouth diarrhea virus candidate grin grin
It's not funny
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by Ekaka1(m): 3:19pm On Mar 14, 2020
Okoroawusa:

It's not funny
Who said it was? Just gave you guys my honest opinion of a president who has the antecendence of telling on his people and calling them out when he travels out cheesy
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by amaridigital(m): 3:19pm On Mar 14, 2020
Mrexcell:
You people should not boast yet u don't know if there are any other infected foriegn nationals who have entered the country undedected and are spreading the virus quietly in Nigeria. The infected Italian man came into Nigeria without getting screened and dedected in the airport how sure are we that there are no also other infected foriegners who have successfully entered Nigeria?

Exactly my thought. We still open our Airports and borders without restrition. Even when Saudi Arabia and the Pope canceled religious gatherings for safety reasons, our religious houses will be jampacked tomorrow sunday. We have thousands of Nigerians and foreigners flocking to Nigeria everyday. We dont have to rejoice yet in the midst of a pandemic that we know very few about. Can we cope with an outbreak? Do we have isolation centres sccross the 774 LGA's? Are our health workers well trained and our public health facilities equipped in case of an outbreak?
Please let us follow the trend in other countries. There are countries that reports few infections in February but now report thousands of infected persons today.
I will be very happy if the situation remains this way but WHO just declared this a pandemic this week. Let us take all precautionary measures and hopefully it will be fine. I believe that the travel restrictions placed on most sub- Saharan African countries with same reciprocal policies from African countries is helping us for now. Had it been that all European, Chinese, Americans could just buy flight ticket to ECOWAS countries without visa the story would have been different. They restricted our travel freedom and it is now to our advantage.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by muzzol: 3:19pm On Mar 14, 2020
ajl:
So, Mr Commissioner, you are assuring us you have tracked down all the individuals that the Italian, first index case, came in contact with, then the individuals that these potential second index cases came in contact, as well as the individuals that these individuals also came in contact with, and so on and so forth. Government officials dey lie. We are talking about tracking thousands of people because it's like a chain reaction.... let him tell us how many people the government tracked. Using the Uber driver the Italian came in contact with as example, that day alone the driver would have been in contact with 5 to 10 more passengers depending on time of the day he picked the guy. Now, these passengers would have been in contact with other individuals as secondary contacts, and on and on. That's just one person. Government magic!

if the Uber driver is tested not to have the virus, how could he have transmitted it to his other passengers? Is it possible to transmit what he does not have? I think that is why the Commissioner announced that they have broken the chain of contacts....Come to think of it, why don’t we leave the dynamic as of planning and implementation to the professionals? In this case, The Lagos State Ministry of Health, Federal Ministry of Health and the National Centre for Disease Control seems to be the professionals in managing the Corona pandemic in Nigeria
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by andycarol01: 3:20pm On Mar 14, 2020
d best tin nah 2 package d man go bck en country ooooo
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by AsomughaChuks05: 3:20pm On Mar 14, 2020
lagdmark:
True.
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by bkool7(m): 3:22pm On Mar 14, 2020
APCNig:

Our weather is not suitable for its survival.
It didn't survive in most East African countries that it entered
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by aalangel(f): 3:24pm On Mar 14, 2020
I give it to Prof. Abayomi and Dr. Ehanire. They did very well.
Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by OROSUNBOLB(m): 3:24pm On Mar 14, 2020
This is what many advanced countries have not been able to achieve but look at us! Sometimes, we do underrate our capabilities as a people. This is what celebrating actually and kudos must be given to all the medical teams and administrators put in place to fight against the scourge and prevent its spread in our nation. It's a great sacrifice and we appreciate your efforts.

Though it is not over yet,but now we know we have capable hands that are truly committed to defeating the virus in our country.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Lagos Has Broken The Circle Of Transmission - Health Commissioner by SammyChi1988: 3:26pm On Mar 14, 2020
Great...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Tinubu Announcing Payment Of WAEC Fees For All Lagos Students In Year 2000 / Buhari Blasted Obasanjo In 2003 For Spending 110 Days Globe-Trotting (Throwback) / Pictures Of Aba Roads: I Weep For My State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.