Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,501 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:39 PM

Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists (4177 Views)

Fayose Seen Checking Licenses Of Motorists In The State (Photos) / Photos: Apapa Lagos Road Flooded After Heavy Rainfall / Breaking! Long Queues As Motorists Storm Ifeanyi Ubah’s Capital Oil(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by tonte23(m): 8:12am On Dec 24, 2010
Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Killer manholes on Lagos road worry motorists

Residents of estates on old Lagos-Abeokuta Road have raised the alarm over killer manholes that dot some sections of the road, saying they pose danger to road users and the residents.
They told PUNCH METRO that many accidents had occurred as a result of the manholes.

They added that road users, especially motorists, were forced to slow down as they approached the manholes, thereby exposing them to attack from hoodlums and armed robbers, who loitered around the area.

They therefore appealed to the government to urgently rehabilitate the roads and block the manholes.

Our correspondent, who visited the area, noticed that motorists found it difficult to ply the road and their slowing down when the approached the manholes also resulted in traffic snarl.

The Manager, Sunshine Estate Oko-Oba III, one of the estates in the area, Mr. Idoko Phillip, said residents had made individual efforts by filling the manholes with used tyres to alert motorists of the impending danger.

But he regretted that their efforts were not enough as motorists still ran into the manholes resulting in accidents.

Phillip said, "We feel very bad about all these manholes on the road. They have been there for some time now. Efforts have been made personally to prevent any occurrence of accident there. We had put tyres to indicate that there is a danger ahead for the motorists and other road users. But this has not yielded any positive result because some unknown people removed the tyres. It is a big problem.

"Even in the daytime, some motorists do not take cognisance of the tyres until they reach the verge of the manholes. It is only then that they try to meander and such can be disastrous. This attitude puts the lives of other road users at risk."

The estate manager called on the government to come to the residents' aid to avoid preventable deaths and attacks from hoodlums.

He argued that if road users were finding the road unsafe during daytime, the situation was worse at night.

Phillip said, "There have been some accidents, although they were not fatal. There was an accident that happened few months ago. I heard that a car knocked someone down and the victim sustained serious injuries and was treated at a hospital. The manholes really pose a great danger to the road users. Imagine how dangerous they will be at night.

"Some people may be driving there oblivious of the holes and they may fall into them or get their vehicles damaged in the process. Hoodlums and armed robbers can take advantage of the holes to unleash havoc to the road users.

"For the safety of Nigerians, the government should ensure that the appropriate authority fixes the roads. We want a speedy response. We should not wait until they claim lives. It will be very sad and bitter if the government only finds a solution to this problem after human life has been lost.

"There are four manholes: one near Mapowe Estate; another near Sunshine Estate; the next at Vetland and another one after that. They are between the abattoir area and Total Filling Station."

A resident of Mapowe Estate, Mr. Kehinde Lasisi, said the manholes caused an accident a few weeks ago and a woman was severely injured.

He said, "We are not comfortable with the manholes. We want government to help us fix them to avoid more accidents. They are dangerous. There was one accident that I witnessed. A vehicle was coming from Agege and another one from Abule Egba, the drivers seemed not to know about the holes. There was a woman that wanted to cross to the other side, suddenly they hit the woman, she sustained injuries and was rushed to a hospital for treatment. This happened about three weeks ago."

The Lagos Zonal Director, Federal Roads Maintenance Agency, Mrs. Bola Ilemore, in response to our correspondent's text message, said the Federal Ministry of Works had commenced work on the road, and assured the residents that their concerns would be addressed soon.

Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Kobojunkie: 8:15am On Dec 24, 2010
That is definitely a killer manhole! shocked
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by denzel2009: 8:26am On Dec 24, 2010
We dont have any regard for human lives in this country. shocked shocked
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Kobojunkie: 8:50am On Dec 24, 2010
I hope no one I know falls in to such a death. I mean this is just bad.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by denzel2009: 9:00am On Dec 24, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I hope no one I know falls in to such a death. I mean this is just bad.

I pray no one falls into it,even if I dont know them. Don't be selfish tongue
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Nobody: 9:02am On Dec 24, 2010
I dont get it.

How could they build that kinda hole [looks like it was built] in the ground without any safety sign or cover?

Common sense do fly.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Abeem(m): 5:15am On Dec 25, 2010
Is there any lawyer in the house? Nigerian is vast becoming a litigious society and here is one opportunity for a wannabe lawyer to represent the accident victim and make millions off the LASG for punitive damage arising from their negligence in failing to cover the manhole on the road.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Nobody: 5:53am On Dec 25, 2010
But why can't the people in that area find one iron and put over the thing and drill it down? This waiting on the government to do everything is just sickening.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 25, 2010
Dont be fooled by photoshop
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by chic2pimp(m): 12:53pm On Dec 25, 2010
FC, UK ME Sideways!!!. . . . . . . . This One Pass "Killer Man Hole" shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by strangerf: 12:56pm On Dec 25, 2010
Kobojunkie:

[size=18pt]I hope no one I know falls in to such a death[/size]. I mean this is just bad.

I think this statement is worse than the killer manhole!
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by denzel2009: 1:18pm On Dec 25, 2010
LeoMax:

Photoshop ko photokiosk ni.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Tolulop001(f): 2:32pm On Dec 25, 2010
LeoMax:

wait till u land ur backside in one of them, u siddon dey talk photoshop angry
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by coolme2: 2:41pm On Dec 25, 2010
LeoMax:

If you can find the time to go out on the street,then you can confirm it is a photoshop or photomall
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by MeGaStReEt: 4:04pm On Dec 25, 2010
God help Nigeria
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Reference(m): 4:09pm On Dec 25, 2010
Manhole ?? This one kinda looks like an abandoned WWII bunker. Not the right place for historical artefacts BRF, se the local museum instead.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Kobojunkie: 5:16pm On Dec 25, 2010
denzel2009:

I pray no one falls into it,even if I dont know them. Don't be selfish  tongue

I understand what you mean but I think I have a right to be selfish in this case.  That sort of hole in many parts of the world will be serious cause for outrage. That hole has probably been there not less than 3 months before this reporter decided to report on it, but I bet not less than 1000 people living in the area, and maybe those who have driven through the area are well aware of the existence of that problem and probably refused to say much else about it to anyone. I for one, pray that none of those I know drives past and into that death trap cause that seems all I can do since the people probably do not care. I may want change but I don't think I should SELFISHLY push my desire on those who probably don't want the same. undecided
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by otokx(m): 5:17pm On Dec 25, 2010
This is a death trap
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by mrofficial(m): 7:55pm On Dec 25, 2010
Who said that picture was photoshoped?

Come and let me show you worse killer holes. It's only on Nigeria roads you have to study where potholes are. lipsrsealed
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by buzugee(m): 7:56pm On Dec 25, 2010
so the people in the area cannot put strong wooden plank across the hole right ? typical Nigerian lethargy and apathy.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Yorubah(m): 9:08pm On Dec 25, 2010
Great country furcking leaders, aint no system is workin in Nigeria, Error country
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by OchiAgha2(m): 9:22pm On Dec 25, 2010
buzugee:

so the people in the area cannot put strong wooden plank across the hole right ? typical Nigerian lethargy and apathy.

That is what I was wondering. At least put something there that is sturdy enough to protect Nigerians. You can't always wait for the Nigerian gov't to do something. At least put a cone there for goodness sake to allow motorist to know that a trap is waiting.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by buzugee(m): 9:37pm On Dec 25, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

That is what I was wondering. At least put something there that is sturdy enough to protect Nigerians. You can't always wait for the Nigerian gov't to do something. At least put a cone there for goodness sake to allow motorist to know that a trap is waiting.
right right. merry xmas dude grin grin whats poppin at ya end ? turkey ? chicken ? edikangikong ?
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by OchiAgha2(m): 10:01pm On Dec 25, 2010
buzugee:

right right. merry xmas dude grin grin whats poppin at ya end ? turkey ? chicken ? edikangikong ?

Merry Christmas to you as well. I am getting ready to eat some Fried Turkey! Hmmmm good.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by aieromon(m): 10:40pm On Dec 25, 2010
LeoMax:

Not at all.That road has three open manholes but the saving grace is that they're located in the middle of the road.You're fine as long as you keep to a side.I started doing this after i almost ''entered'' one of the holes while overtaking.

God bless Lagos State.
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by tunde247: 11:31pm On Dec 25, 2010
too bad
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by calabaman(m): 12:07am On Dec 26, 2010
tonte23:

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Lagos Zonal Director, Federal Roads Maintenance Agency, Mrs. Bola Ilemore, in response to our correspondent's text message, said the Federal Ministry of Works had commenced work on the road, and assured the residents that their concerns would be addressed soon.

^^^ "would be addressed soon" i'd bet till when a very terrible accident occurs, notin would be done about the hole. Wat a country
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by ibbinfo(m): 2:05am On Dec 26, 2010
dame is this some kind of trap or what, i fear oh
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by Nobody: 2:31am On Dec 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I understand what you mean but I think I have a right to be selfish in this case.  That sort of hole in many parts of the world will be serious cause for outrage. That hole has probably been there not less than 3 months before this reporter decided to report on it, but I bet not less than 1000 people living in the area, and maybe those who have driven through the area are well aware of the existence of that problem and probably refused to say much else about it to anyone. I for one, pray that none of those I know drives past and into that death trap cause that seems all I can do since the people probably do not care. I may want change but I don't think I should SELFISHLY push my desire on those who probably don't want the same. undecided

Lol I have to agree with this grin
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by shilling(f): 5:30pm On Dec 26, 2010
Ochi_Agha:

True!!
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by ochukoccna: 6:00pm On Dec 26, 2010
GEJ,over to you
Afterall this na Federal Road
Stop your propaganda adverts and stop postponing what has to be done till when U rig yourself back into Aso Rock!
Re: Killer Manholes On Lagos Road Worry Motorists by oderemo(m): 6:11pm On Dec 26, 2010
the question
GEJ,over to you
Afterall this na Federal Road
Stop your propaganda adverts and stop postponing what has to be done till when U rig yourself back into Aso Rock!
the answer

(1) (2) (Reply)

Opposition Coalition May Apply For APC Registration Next Week / Spotted In South Africa: A "Do Not Die In Nigeria" Warning / FIVE PDP GOVS UNDER WATCH OVER BUHARI

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.