Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? (33580 Views)

Pls Help Me, Landlord I Paid Rent Fee Want To Scam Me / Sagbokodji Island, Lagos Hasn't Seen Electricity For 100 Years / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by rattlesnake(m): 1:43pm On Mar 17, 2020
otumokpo
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Mar 17, 2020
Meet a lawyer to serve them quite notice, then sue them to court to pay the arrears. Make sure an acknowledgment copy of the letter is signed by each of the receiver.
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Foreign231(m): 1:44pm On Mar 17, 2020
Whatever you wanna do, please
Remember 2pac shakur was killed for
Doing what’s RIGHT
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 1:44pm On Mar 17, 2020
remove the ceiling and tell him u want to renovate it he will leave

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Kriptune: 1:45pm On Mar 17, 2020
I need a business loan, amounting to 300k.
where can i get one besides bank and these apps
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Taigreg(m): 1:45pm On Mar 17, 2020
If its Lagos, go through the human right activist section of the state government. They have many outlets in each local government. They'll charge a fee of #8,000 and would handled the cases. That's how my dad was able to recoup over 400k outstanding PHCN bills from his tenants.

Starboytwo:
Good day all,

We have a tenant who has refused to pay rent since 2018, he only promised to pay and always defaults everytime...

What are the steps I need to take to get the rents or preferably reclaim the room he occupies?

There is a seemingly Big void as nobody takes any action since my Father passed (landlord) i.e, tenants civil enough do pay their rent to my eldest brother who lives far away but some like the tenants in question take advantage and do not like to pay...

Can I write a "Notice to Quit" and deliver it to him in person, or must I entrust a lawyer?

If I notify him about quitting the room, is he qualified for the 6 month the law prescribe...

I need tips on how to handle this situation...

5 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by SoNature(m): 1:45pm On Mar 17, 2020
YorubaKinging:
Please, be merciful and give them more time to pay up

Do this for God's sake
It might be He will b merciful to you in the day of his anger
Which is very soon

Be merciful for how long? undecided undecided

Are you sure you are not the tenant in question?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 17, 2020
Imarnuel08:
Disconnect their light and water for "repairs".
Then remove the roof for "renovation"
SECONDED...

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 17, 2020
SoNature:

Be merciful for how long? undecided undecided

Are you sure you are not the tenant in question?
Lol...

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Yomiie: 1:46pm On Mar 17, 2020
Remove the roof grin grin
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by friday2011(m): 1:47pm On Mar 17, 2020
Starboytwo:
Good day all,

We have a tenant who has refused to pay rent since 2018, he only promised to pay and always defaults everytime...

What are the steps I need to take to get the rents or preferably reclaim the room he occupies?

There is a seemingly Big void as nobody takes any action since my Father passed (landlord) i.e, tenants civil enough do pay their rent to my eldest brother who lives far away but some like the tenants in question take advantage and do not like to pay...

Can I write a "Notice to Quit" and deliver it to him in person, or must I entrust a lawyer?

If I notify him about quitting the room, is he qualified for the 6 month the law prescribe...

My dear, the tenant in question may be knowledgeable than you think, and maybe just taking advantage of the situation, get a lawyer to serve him, even at that he is entitled to a 3/6months notice. And if you feel the guy no too sabi and you be the rugged type like me, na soldiers we dey take treat their f**k up.
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Mateen1000: 1:47pm On Mar 17, 2020
Princessabby99:
I don't know how tenant manage to evade rent
Ur dp, Is that IB?
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by uzzyphilip(m): 1:48pm On Mar 17, 2020
Call carpenter and remove the roofs of the house, and tell them that u want to renovate the house.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by GabinoMarket(f): 1:49pm On Mar 17, 2020
Starboytwo:
forgive my naivety, I have never engaged a lawyer before? So I don't even know where to begin. Do I look for a property lawyer or any lawyer at all?

Also, if I walk into the office of one? Do I pay for the service, i.e would the lawyer demand money(I mean I'm I suppose to pay etc)

I've never conversed with a lawyer before, nor do I know how they operate...

You need a caretaker
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 17, 2020
Princessabby99:
I don't know how tenant manage to evade rent
as in ehn, if my rent due for just 2weeks I won't be able to sleep

3 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Babsyilu2020: 1:50pm On Mar 17, 2020
Do it legally , even when the issue get out of hand you can arrest him and then charge him to court. So. Let the lawyer write hime quit notice. And give him 3months not 6months cos he is owin. Normally he should pay for the rent he has default too both nepa bill and other bills.. Get a lawyer to do that wont cost you much. Better you write others too for warning and caution they will adjust there ways. Thanks..

3 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by SolicitorLawyer: 1:50pm On Mar 17, 2020
Starboytwo:
Good day all,
We have a tenant who has refused to pay rent since 2018, he only promised to pay and always defaults every time...

you need a lawyer since the tenant has refused to corporate with you. And he needs not to be given quite notice that's if it's true that he didn't pay since 2018, all he needs is 7 days notice of owners intention to recover possession. If he fails to pack out after the 7 days then you have to proceed to court. So it's better you approach a lawyer.

11 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 17, 2020
Include his name in the family will. grin
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Mar 17, 2020
Starboytwo:
Good day all,

Sorry I did not read your story. Just responding to the headline.

Start coughing profusely behind his window and every time you jam inside compound. The second day pick your phone and start calling an imaginary friend confiding in him that you have Corona virus that you've been to the hospitals and you are receiving treatment already. ( God forbid Corona won't near your dwelling place na prank)

Later pick one of his things outside and go and give him. Bucket or cloth anything just being a good neighbor. grin

He will dash you that thing.

The guy may pack out within days. grin

Tested and trusted in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by okine4real: 1:51pm On Mar 17, 2020
i have tenants that are owing me for three years now. the worst is, they are even giving birth in mine house. the rest is 70k ohh. its a room and parlor self contain. i dont have the tenants time yet, when i do, i will deal with them. i have atleast 6 of them owing me rest. mine advice, dont even bother building a house for rent in Ikorodu Lagos State. Imagine the same room and parlor self contain they are paing 90k for now, mine tenants are paying 500k for same room and parlor self contain in shomolu. tenants are cheats. except them know say you be area boy or you be Army, they will not mess with you.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Malawian(m): 1:51pm On Mar 17, 2020
Get a decent Lawyer (not charge and bail) that funny tenant will be out under two weeks. One of our did that stuff once, he didn't even know when court people came to dislodge him, he went to work as usual that morning but had to cut things short. He carried load that day o. Another one even more painful was super rich. Be comes and goes overseas and bases there for most of the year, but pay rent not up to one week chop money in London, he will not pay. The day court people came for him, he was absolutely not prepared for it.

5 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Perfecttouchade: 1:51pm On Mar 17, 2020
Sonnobax15:
grin Op,i know this may sound or look offensive to you but i won't feel sorry to tell you this,"oga,you've got yourself a co-landlord..
abi o, the tenant dey claim landlord pikin also grin maybe the op needs to find out maybe the guy na him papa pikin
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by EmekaBlue(m): 1:52pm On Mar 17, 2020
u cant do anything...na d tenant get d house now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by samwise180(m): 1:52pm On Mar 17, 2020
I think you should tell all the tenants in the house that you want to renovate the house and you are giving them 6 months to pack out of the house. grin
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 17, 2020
Wake up, this is 2020.

All it takes is to walk into a law firm and ask to speak with a lawyer and you will get a sound legal advice on what to do and how to go about it.

Second drastic option, sell of the house along with those in it. ( Dad once used this option when I was still a teen as a result of the tenants from hell we once had who actually felt it was their entitlement not to pay for their accrued rents and after all diplomatic measures failed then the house was sold off along with its occupants and the new owner gave them a few months to evacuate which they all did even before the time frame from the new owner elapsed).

Option 1 is your best route for now.
Best of luck.
Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Biggy505(m): 1:53pm On Mar 17, 2020
Kindly get a Lawyer, i have a similar case but i got a lawyer and he was serve and the rest is history.
Candid advice get a lawyer or if don't mind i can introduce one to you at affodable charges.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by telkevog(m): 1:53pm On Mar 17, 2020
[quote author=Starboytwo post=87511311]Good day all,

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by SPENCERD(m): 1:54pm On Mar 17, 2020
These remind me of those days about my landlady. When your rent is due and you did not come pay,she will not even disturb you. She will just call her carpenter to remove your zincs.
Na you go tire for the matter.

2 Likes

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Realdeals(m): 1:56pm On Mar 17, 2020
There is force eviction, the court can orders it if you present your case properly.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by Bryan88(m): 1:57pm On Mar 17, 2020
Imarnuel08:
Disconnect their light and water for "repairs".
Then remove the roof for "renovation"
simple!

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by seborrhic: 1:57pm On Mar 17, 2020
adewumiopeyemi:
remove the ceiling and tell him u want to renovate it he will leave
Op,don't follow this rubbish advice if you like yourself and that house.
If you attempt this,you will end up not just losing the 2 years rent but incurring more loss in the process.
Think there is a agency for tenancy disputes in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Our Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent Since 2018, What Can I Do? by telkevog(m): 1:57pm On Mar 17, 2020
Starboytwo:
Good day all,

Where is the location? I can be of help! No need for Quit Notice yet. We will sue him for recovery of rent arrears, once we get judgment, we will eject him in the process of executing the order. Giving him Quit Notice will linger the matter. Now perfect my brief and we shall commence with processes.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Orders Demolition Of 20 Buildings In Banana Island / Please Who Can Explain This Visible Cracks On My House Wall / Building Collapses In Sango Police Barracks, Ibadan, Oyo State (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.