Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:53 PM

Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” (51253 Views)

Donald Trump Calls Justin Trudeau “two-faced” For Mocking Him / Trump Calls Kim Darroch, UK Ambassador 'A Very Stupid Guy' / Donald Trump Calls Prince Charles 'Prince Of Whales' Instead Of 'Prince Of Wales (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by madridsta007(m): 4:54pm On Mar 17, 2020
tatatar:

HIV originated from Africa,let's leave the name everyone knows it by and start calling it the "African virus"

Is that what you were told?
These guys have messed up the minds of their colonised more than I thought.

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by kapelvej: 4:57pm On Mar 17, 2020
BeardGangJnr1:

I thought Ebola is the scientific name of that particular virus.?
no Ebola was discovered around Ebola river some where in Congo. And they quickly named it accordingly.there is also a fly called aedis Egypti it causes a kind of disease. It was discovered in Egypt hence the name Egypti

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Dollabiz: 5:00pm On Mar 17, 2020
it is well
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Dagrace01(m): 5:04pm On Mar 17, 2020
Trummmmmmmmmp oooooo!

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by KrystosCJ(m): 5:06pm On Mar 17, 2020
alezzy13:

There is a difference between naming a virus (by a body such as WHO) after a place (geographic location) and naming one after an entire race, especially at a time like this.

The use of the racial adjective is crude but accurate. When such descriptions used for things that are generally agreed to be positive, it is lauded. When used for something negative, there will be some disagreement.

PS: You could have just struck through the paragraph that contained the message that irked you rather than the entire comment.
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by eas01: 5:07pm On Mar 17, 2020
shine12:
I love how Nigerian mentality is different.

I know you guys dont see anything wrong with it but America has a big history of leaders spurning our racial rhetorics for their own agenda.USA has millions of Asian American and it wont be long untill racist people start attacking them.
Tell me one country in the world that doesn't have a history of spurring racial or tribal rhetoric and I will show u a pig that can fly.
If this virus came from Russia now., we will be yelling the Russian virus. Heck we would even have been hearing the Putin virus. So WATS ur point.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by eas01: 5:11pm On Mar 17, 2020
Ishitinyourlife:
He is a well known racist but in this case I don't pity the Chinese, I will gladly call it the Chinese virus if it will make them uncomfortable, I just don't like them.
I bet u are a well know tribalist. Nigerians are so annoying ehnnn. Why don't u remove the speck of dust in ur eye first idiot.
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by idahme(m): 5:21pm On Mar 17, 2020
Is it someone? Or a diplomat. If it's correctly a diplomat without the Chinese debunking it then it can be said to be an official statement. I don't think it's someone, check ur fact.

themonk:

China didn't say...someone in China said.

It's a different ball game when the president of a country calls it a Chinese virus.
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Nobody: 5:23pm On Mar 17, 2020
alezzy13:

There is a difference between naming a virus (by a body such as WHO) after a place (geographic location) and naming one after an entire race, especially at a time like this.

thank you.

the worst the CDC / WHO have done is name viruses after the location where they were first observed. no one calls ebola african virus or black virus or congo virus.

no one is calling lassa fever nigerian virus or west african rat virus or aboki virus

but what can one expect from an incompetent [i take no responsibility] joker whose yansh has been opened?
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 17, 2020
GamalNasser:
If Lassa fever can be named after the town it originated in Nigeria and Ebola after an Africa river why dont the Chinese want the Wuhan Virus which originated in china to be labelled after them .
This is absolutely on point.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by MERCHANDISER: 5:41pm On Mar 17, 2020
China was so much becoming focused on ruling the World, dominating former World powers. Even China President never deny there is BioWeapon Lab in Wuhan, China. Everybody knows that this very deadly version of the Virus leaked/originated from the lab that was tweaking it to use BioWeapon. This virus isn't NATURAL....IT WAS CREATED/CULTURED IN A LAB INVIVO Believe it or not "CORONA VIRUS IS A LABORATORY MADE VIRUS" i know the people that made it will do everything possible to cover their tracks because it's a long planed work when the rest of the world were sleeping. Nobody will claim responsible for it because the thing is already Bio WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION. ALL WORLD POWERS HAVE BIOWEAPONS... Go and read "the eyes of darkness"

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Izigha(m): 6:00pm On Mar 17, 2020
madridsta007:

There is nothing wrong with calling it the Wuhan Virus.
Ebola is from the River in Congo where it first originated from.
Lassa Fever, is from a place in Lassa, Nigeria.
Spanish flu originated from Spain.

Why should be Wuhan/ China different?

The spanish flu did not originate from spain. Historians believe it was from an army barrack in the USA or France
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by sofiscatedmoron: 6:42pm On Mar 17, 2020
What do u expect when china was busy gubbling uncooked bat and snakes anf other weired animals

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Niggmatic: 6:44pm On Mar 17, 2020
madridsta007:

Actually, Spanish flu might not have originated from Spain. It actually happened that Spain being neutral during that period was the first to announce it. The flu had been killing thousands in Europe before the Spanish admitted its existence. No nation mustard the courage enough to announce it because they were afraid of the implications of doing so in a war situation. You can still do a little googling on this.

3 Likes

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by maasoap(m): 6:47pm On Mar 17, 2020
Randy100:
It is only Trump that can dsay that and nothing will happen.

Point of correction, USA president
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by hkidola00(m): 7:01pm On Mar 17, 2020
madridsta007:

There is nothing wrong with calling it the Wuhan Virus. Ebola is from the River in Congo where it first originated from. Lassa Fever, is from a place in Lassa, Nigeria. Spanish flu originated from Spain.
spanish flu's origin isn't spain
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Philinho(m): 7:06pm On Mar 17, 2020
helinues:
Another reckless statement from Trump
He's saying the truth. It is man made. Probably a quest for a weapon of mass destruction had gone wrong .
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Judybash93(m): 7:19pm On Mar 17, 2020
eni4real:
1st documented HIV was from USA in '81

Not 'probably'!!

Okay. You're right. The first documented case was actually in the US
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Goldmaxx(f): 7:21pm On Mar 17, 2020
alezzy13:

Lol! Don't waste your time trying to explain to these brainless beings.

No matter how absurd, ignorant or downright racistz they will always find a way to justify his comments.

Rather face his spectacularly incompetent handling of pandemic, Trump is seekin, as usual, to distract with nonsensical tweets.
CNN is affecting your brain. He always says his mind no matter the condition it is. Media is creating excessive panic, there are other things that needs to be addressed and keep the people's mind off it. But I guess, they are so desperate to score political points with it.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Kaycee625(m): 7:45pm On Mar 17, 2020
nextstep:
Spanish flu, Asian flu, Hong Kong flu, Russian flu, Chinese flu... what's the outrage about? cool

If it had started in Nigeria, you can bet the Chinese would have called it Nigerian flu. (technically, 尼日利亚 简体), but you get my point
Let them celebrate their addition to the history of flu pandemics jare. grin
说得对,chinese would show no mercy if it came from Africa now they are acting as victims, its a Fucking wuhan virus they should deal with it

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by AnanseK(m): 7:52pm On Mar 17, 2020
Jeromejnr:

I think your own grammar too needs caring.

Or perhaps your sense of humor
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by JoseRaji(m): 8:04pm On Mar 17, 2020
madridsta007:

The Spanish flu did not originate in Spain... But we get your point.
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Livingstone124: 8:18pm On Mar 17, 2020
IlovePMB:
Buhari virus
Buhari virus haha that one has killed and still killing Nigerans yet the world is keeping quiet.

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Adakintroy2: 8:29pm On Mar 17, 2020
Is it not a Chinese flu. Why are they so defensive.

If something positive emanate from them won't they claim it?

Donald is just a dumb intelligent man. He says the first thing that enters his head . If he is right he is spot on. When wrong however he is dead wrong. A Human being. Imperfectly perfect.

He steps over his imperfection like it's nothing. It's left for us to relive it and argue. not him lol!..he just going his way. Take it or leave it no time.

Not all this educated ones with big dictions. Think being perfect will mean elimating as much imperfections..
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by madridsta007(m): 8:42pm On Mar 17, 2020
Niggmatic:

Actually, Spanish flu might not have originated from Spain. It actually happened that Spain being neutral during that period was the first to announce it. The flu had been killing thousands in Europe before the Spanish admitted its existence. No nation mustard the courage enough to announce it because they were afraid of the implications of doing so in a war situation. You can still do a little googling on this.

OK.
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by madridsta007(m): 8:42pm On Mar 17, 2020
JoseRaji:

The Spanish flu did not originate in Spain... But we get your point.

Sure.
hkidola00:
spanish flu's origin isn't spain

OK.
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by madridsta007(m): 8:45pm On Mar 17, 2020
tatatar:

HIV originated from Africa,let's leave the name everyone knows it by and start calling it the "African virus"

2The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention originally called HIV/Aids "the 4H disease" as it seemed to only affect Haitians, homosexuals, heroin users and haemophiliacs, whilst the press referred to it as Grid - which was short for gay-related immune deficiency.2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34913764
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Ufedolove: 9:50pm On Mar 17, 2020
nextstep:
Spanish flu, Asian flu, Hong Kong flu, Russian flu, Chinese flu... what's the outrage about? cool

If it had started in Nigeria, you can bet the Chinese would have called it Nigerian flu. (technically, 尼日利亚 简体), but you get my point
Let them celebrate their addition to the history of flu pandemics jare. grin

African Flu
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Cousin9999: 11:07pm On Mar 17, 2020
It is in fact a CHINESE virus.
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by Nobody: 11:28pm On Mar 17, 2020
How sure are you?
effissyman:

Already slowing down in China
Now it remain Italy, Iran , France, Usa and Canada.
They are having more cases of recent
Re: Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” by truthstands01: 2:03am On Mar 18, 2020
And what is it.....Trump does not believe in political correctness. He says it the way it is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Russian Man Lights Himself On Fire To Protest Putin’s Draft (photos) / Doomsday Bunkers: How America Will Survive If It Comes Under Attack (video). / Egypt Relocates 22 Royal Mummies, Kings And Queens To National Museum In Style

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.