Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,323 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) (31986 Views)

Bigger Cargoes To Berth At Onitsha Port Soon – FG / Container Vessel Berths At Onne Port (Photos) / Reno Omokri Searching For Onitsha Trader Whose Shop Was Burnt In The Market Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Anambralstson: 7:31pm On Mar 18, 2020
At Last, NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port, Decries Baro Access Road
The Managing Director of the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA), Dr George Moghalu has given a strong indication that a strategic process is ongoing for the emergence of the preferred concessionaire of Onitsha River Port.
Recall that the process had remained stalled since the build up to 2015 general elections, but became completely abandoned immediately former President Goodluck Jonathan lost the presidential election.

Since the inauguration of President Muhammadu Buhari’s first term, South East Business Leaders had been clamouring for the activation of the Port complex for ease of shipping business. Only last month, the South East Chamber of Commerce, rose from its Annual General Meeting in Onitsha and called for activation of the infrastructure.

However, whereas the revelation made by Dr Moghalu on the ongoing concessioning process may be cheering news for business owners in the region, there are fears over the secrecy clouding the entire process as nobody has seen any newspaper publication or adverts calling for interested bidders to express interest.

NIWA boss had addressed journalists in Lagos during a recent stakeholders’ summit with operators in dredging, inland waterways transportation and other related activities on how best to develop the sector under his watch.
According to him, “Concessioning is a process and not an action, and so it will not augur well if a name is put out and at the end of the day, the person will not meet the criteria.”

He was quick to make it clear that whereas both Onitsha and Baro Ports were completed, and ready for effective use, he explained that just as the process of getting a credible concessionaire is holding back Onitsha, access road to Baro Port remains a key drawback in Niger State.

He averred that “The concessioning of the Onitsha River Port has started and we will be travelling to the Port of Antwerp for due diligence.

“Within my one year of stay, I want to make water transport the choicest transport in the country, and with the support of stakeholders, it can be achieved”, he further said, highlighting that the concessioning is to reduce to the barest, Government’s involvement in the management of the ports,” NIWA chief executive noted.

https://businesshilights.com.ng/at-last-niwa-begins-concession-process-for-onitsha-port-decries-baro-access-road/

8 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by celeiyke: 7:55pm On Mar 18, 2020
They should re-position the port, The positioning didn't consider second Niger bridge

4 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by sapientia(m): 8:01pm On Mar 18, 2020
Please, I don't really understand port terms.

What does the action mean?
Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Officialgarri: 8:05pm On Mar 18, 2020
celeiyke:
They should re-position the port, The positioning didn't consider second Niger bridge
Like construct another port somewhere else and then shut this one down shay?

You need brain check!

sapientia:
Please, I don't really understand port terms.

What does the action mean?
It means the operating rights has been transferred by the government to a private company. Although it's operation will still be monitored and regulated by the government.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by okpalaAnambra: 8:05pm On Mar 18, 2020
Onitsha port can not contain any vessel,..that river is shallow, too shallow...just passed through the bridge and see dry lands there with shallow water..let's focus on Calabar port

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Anambralstson: 8:14pm On Mar 18, 2020
okpalaAnambra:
Onitsha port can not contain any vessel,..that river is shallow, too shallow...just passed through the bridge and see dry lands there with shallow water..let's focus on Calabar port
They know better than you, Julius Berger has been using the port, they are using cargo barge

Below are cargo barges

99 Likes 8 Shares

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by VAQAXY: 8:32pm On Mar 18, 2020
[s]
okpalaAnambra:
[/s]

You and who focus where? Instead of you to face your dilapidated filthy Abia state, but instead you are busy looking elsewhere and wasting your time. Spit on you Abia people

10 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by okpalaAnambra: 8:34pm On Mar 18, 2020
Anambralstson:

They know better than you, Julius Berger has been using the port, they are using cargo barge

Below are cargo barges
Nothing like they know Better,..they know nothing and fg knows too...that's why no one gives a serious Bleep about that two cups of water

6 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Anambralstson: 8:39pm On Mar 18, 2020
okpalaAnambra:

Nothing like they know Better,..they know nothing and fg knows too...that's why no one gives a serious Bleep about that two cups of water
I feel your pain and Jealous grin grin

47 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Ayo8(m): 8:41pm On Mar 18, 2020
Who will sail a river barge laden with million $$ goods through the dangerous creeks of niger-delta..??

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by ursullalinda(f): 8:41pm On Mar 18, 2020
Let's not count our eggs before it's hatched......we are watching.

6 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Obdk: 8:56pm On Mar 18, 2020
For you to understand everything that the onitsha river port need you need to research extensively on the following rivers
Forcadoes river
Nun river
Brass river

They are rivers through which the river niger emptied into the Atlantic ocean...

This means that any ship coming into the river niger to onitsha up to d source of the Niger must pass through one of the listed rivers above..

Before you reason the two Niger bridge, except they wamt to use really small badges..

2 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by iammo(m): 9:02pm On Mar 18, 2020
cool

Concessioning or not, unless all the Second Niger Bridge pillars are completely casted the River Port cant be functional as the river has being partialy blocked, however since the bridge is due for completion in 2022 i see the water channels being freed late this year or early 2021

at least Anambra village can now have something to atleast chestbeat with and compete with Ondo State..

Anambralstson i hope you tell your weird dressing drunkard governor you need an Airport preferably cargo airport too

5 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by okpalaAnambra: 9:02pm On Mar 18, 2020
Anambralstson:

I feel your pain and Jealous grin grin
No pain here brother..Aburo m onye Obi úfú..eziokwu Kam na agwa gi ihe a... Calabar port is still an eastern port, is more feasible with a direct access to the ocean..let's leave sentiment

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Anambralstson: 9:07pm On Mar 18, 2020
Ayo8:
Who will sail a river barge laden with million $$ goods through the dangerous creeks of niger-delta..??
Julius Berger has been doing it

20 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by ejanla077: 9:08pm On Mar 18, 2020
okpalaAnambra:

I feel ur envy...

River niger have capacity for ocean-going vessels if dredged.

6 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by okpalaAnambra: 9:13pm On Mar 18, 2020
ejanla077:

I feel ur envy...

River niger have capacity for ocean-going vessels if dredged.
Dredged u say? When they're eastern ports like Calabar and onne which aren't fully utilized...

River Niger is dry and can't function even if dredged

6 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by okpalaAnambra: 9:16pm On Mar 18, 2020
Ayo8:
You're 100% ignorant..where do u think the vessels will even come in from, if at all in your dreams that vessels can bath in that dry river, lol

2 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Anambralstson: 9:20pm On Mar 18, 2020
iammo:
cool

Concessioning or not, unless all the Second Niger Bridge pillars are completely casted the River Port cant be functional as the river has being partialy blocked, however since the bridge is due for completion in 2022 i see the water channels being freed late this year or early 2021

at least Anambra village can now have something to atleast chestbeat with and compete with Ondo State..

Anambralstson i hope you tell you weird dressing governor you need an Airport preferably cargo airport too

Outside Lagos built by all
Every other states in West trying to compete with Anambra, imagine this Dodomayana also trying to compare Ondo that's on life line with Itshekiri oil, a state that can't compete with Nnewi in industrialization and commerce grin grin waiting Musa no go see for gate

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Anambralstson: 9:22pm On Mar 18, 2020
okpalaAnambra:

Dredged u say? When they're eastern ports like Calabar and onne which aren't fully utilized...

You are plan Ignorant, nothing dey your big head

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Anambralstson: 9:32pm On Mar 18, 2020
okpalaAnambra:

You're 100% ignorant..where do u think the vessels will even come in from, if at all in your dreams that vessels can bath in that dry river, lol
From those in charge not empty head like you, I understand you are jealous
https://niwa.gov.ng/onitsha-river-port-an-untapped-gold-mine-fg/

8 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by ejanla077: 9:34pm On Mar 18, 2020
okpalaAnambra:

dry you say..

The river should be dredged its long overdue... The tributaries re worse....
Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by okpalaAnambra: 9:34pm On Mar 18, 2020
Anambralstson:

You are plan Ignorant, nothing dey your big head
I won't insult u son, because you have no sense oo...and sure u did not go to the university of not u will understand better,... A dry river like that one can't contain large vessels, coconut head..u think say na canoe ? Or flying boat..lol

6 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by holicupp(m): 9:35pm On Mar 18, 2020
wow! this is a nice development

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by okpalaAnambra: 9:36pm On Mar 18, 2020
Anambralstson:

From those in charge not empty head like you, I understand you are jealous
https://niwa.gov.ng/onitsha-river-port-an-untapped-gold-mine-fg/
That's wishful thinking, I'm surprised u fell for it..no wonder you're dumb, u can't think for your yourself...River Niger remains a River and not a sea shore or ocean and as such can't contain large vessels

8 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Anambralstson: 9:37pm On Mar 18, 2020
okpalaAnambra:

I won't insult u son, because you have no sense oo...and sure u did not go to the university of not u will understand better,... A dry river like that one can't contain large vessels, coconut head..u think say na canoe ? Or flying boat..lol
Otondo I can't remember writing large vessels in my posts, google the meaning of barge empty head

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by ejanla077: 9:42pm On Mar 18, 2020
okpalaAnambra:

U still pass the creeks to get river Niger from the Atlantic

2 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by okpalaAnambra: 9:43pm On Mar 18, 2020
Anambralstson:

Otondo I can't remember writing large vessels in my post, google the meaning of barge empty head
Keep shut your mouth, ana akogheri, what do u know, nothing..what's the essence of sea importation without large vessels, looks like na saw dust de your head

8 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by ejanla077: 9:44pm On Mar 18, 2020
okpalaAnambra:

That's wishful thinking, I'm surprised u fell for it..no wonder you're dumb, u can't think for your yourself...River Niger remains a River and not a sea shore or ocean and as such can't contain large vessels

U re dumb bro. No offence

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by Anambralstson: 9:44pm On Mar 18, 2020
Main purpose NPA is dredging and equipping warri port is because of Onitsha port and Baro port Niger state , transloading from large vessels to barges to these River ports, Berger can even sail from Onne Port to Onitsha port until Onitsha port is dredge

12 Likes

Re: NIWA Begins Concession Process For Onitsha Port (Photos) by okpalaAnambra: 9:46pm On Mar 18, 2020
ejanla077:

U re dumb bro. No offence
Lol, better than u that have empty skull with only some parts having saw dust..counter argument na tantrums u de throw...so empty of u

River Niger will never be used as a port, it doesn't qualify

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians Will Be Shocked By Those Behind Girls' Abduction - Says Matawalle / Anambra Election: Nkem Okeke, Deputy Governor, Fails To Win Own Polling Unit / Osinbajo: Nigeria’s Problem Is Not Restructuring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.