Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,209 members, 7,807,703 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List (20382 Views)

APC National Convention: Consensus Exclusive List (Photos) / VAT: FIRS’ Exclusive List Push Suffers Setback At NASS / 12 APC Governors, Senators, Reps Want New Generation Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by naIraiaND: 4:16pm On Mar 19, 2020
This would be d best thing to happen to Nigeria since independence
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by Rapmoney(m): 4:17pm On Mar 19, 2020
Simplyleo:
I hate making comments on what I don't understand angry

Pls which one be Exclusive Legislative List again?

Also, which one be Concurrent List?

And what is the impact of swapping the list to which the aforementioned agencies belong

Just a sincerely innocent question.

Na so you go dey jump from one thread to another dey yarn dust! So common simple concept wey SS1 Government student know about constitutional operations, you no know? Tufia!!!
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by gnykelly(m): 4:22pm On Mar 19, 2020
Simplyleo:
I hate making comments on what I don't understand angry

Pls which one be Exclusive Legislative List again?

Also, which one be Concurrent List?

And what is the impact of swapping the list to which the aforementioned agencies belong

Just a sincerely innocent question.

you are wise by asking questions...

the list define what each level of governments has power over. the current version of the list the federal government absolute power over power, police etc. the list is called 'exclusive list'.
another level is the 'concurrent list' it consists of items that both the state and federal have power on eg road, housing.
the last list contains what local government have power on eg market the list is called residual list.
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by ajl: 5:21pm On Mar 19, 2020
Blue3k:
They should futher reduce federal power by eliminating the land use act and exclusive ownership of all minerals. Individuals should own their own the land and minerals associated with it. If state needs land they acquire it via the eminent domain.

Land Use Act is already under state govt control. Not likely to be handed back to individuals. Already state govt already hands some lands back to native owners through Excision of lands. But its probably a different ball game if such land has some type of minerals under it.
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by Simplyleo: 5:29pm On Mar 19, 2020
Rapmoney:

Na so you go dey jump from one thread to another dey yarn dust! So common simple concept wey SS1 Government student know about constitutional operations, you no know? Tufia!!!
I don't know if someone by any chance had told you the issues surrounding your existence is tied to my comments on nairaland.

However, if that is the case, at least you should have put your brain into use to keep others in doubt about your state of health. As it stands now, all doubts have been removed. You can now get along with your fellows and rub minds together instead of hoping into my mention and continue typing nonsense.
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by jham01: 5:37pm On Mar 19, 2020
Some ppl here find it difficult to understand Nigeria's prblm. The oil producing states have 13% derivation with larger portion of revenue allocation but still there is nothing to show there. Go to Katsina, Jigawa, Gombe, Kano & otha northern states and see many newly built schools all over, road network everywhere, water supply is ensured in most places, salary is being paid on time & on monthly basis with little allocation they're collecting.
Unfortunately, masses in SS states never questioned their leaders abt their responsibilities, always wasting their time in Nairaland abusing leaders at the centre instead of holding the right persons accountable for their allocation. The point is, even if resource control is accented to the states those people will keep complaining forever because they've the worst governments in Nigeria. If ur leaders are brainwashing u and always using hatred to mislead u then u can neva understand where the problem lies in. Think again!
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by IrohLove: 7:02pm On Mar 19, 2020
[s]
Simplyleo:

I don't know if someone by any chance had told you the issues surrounding your existence is tied to my comments on nairaland.

However, if that is the case, at least you should have put your brain into use to keep others in doubt about your state of health. As it stands now, all doubts have been removed. You can now get along with your fellows and rub minds together instead of hoping into my mention and continue typing nonsense.
[/s]
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by linocol0075: 7:07pm On Mar 19, 2020
Who told you that? Its outdated. The journey of a thousand miles begins with your transport money o. Don't let motivational speakers fool you.

anonimi:

Ha, there it is in the last line.......................I was thinking that you won't put that line there.................. I for lambast you ehn cheesy grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4160987_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

[img]https://otrazhenie.files./2013/08/step.jpg[/img]
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by stormborn28(m): 7:46pm On Mar 19, 2020
nnanyereugo:
Nice one. The only good news from the rubber stamp senate
house of rep. Rather
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by Rapmoney(m): 7:49pm On Mar 19, 2020
Simplyleo:

Shut up there! You know nothing!!!

1 Like

Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by Taiwo20(m): 8:29pm On Mar 19, 2020
Long due
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by eenai(m): 8:34pm On Mar 19, 2020
This is the 'BILL of the Year' and it is just the way to go for Nigeria to come out of the woods. Liberalise power generation and distribution. Allow states, corporate bodies and even individual generate and distribute power, you only regulate them and see how the power sector turns around in no time. Same for Police and the national correctional service. State should build and run their own prisons. About 80% of prisoners be in Federal facilities are state offenders.

1 Like

Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by Taiwo20(m): 8:35pm On Mar 19, 2020
Long due. States should control their resources and security
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by omoiyalayi(m): 9:12pm On Mar 19, 2020
Na di power own sweet me pass

That should have be done long ago

Every state can then generate their own power and transmit it, instead of the way it is now where state generate power but can't use it

More investor can come in & invest

I hope it sail through

Because in this country this kind of news usually end up in the news

The way this country is structured nothing can work effectively our constitution need to be rework on

This current constitution can not make us progress as a nation except we are just deceiving our self

Senator Adeyeye said it openly at the floor of the Senate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D0trNUB-ME
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by omoiyalayi(m): 9:17pm On Mar 19, 2020
68 "Exclusive List" Items That Made Nigeria Dysfunctional

https://www.nairaland.com/3945831/68-exclusive-list-items-made
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by myobjective: 11:43pm On Mar 19, 2020
jham01:
Some ppl here find it difficult to understand Nigeria's prblm. The oil producing states have 13% derivation with larger portion of revenue allocation but still there is nothing to show there. Go to Katsina, Jigawa, Gombe, Kano & otha northern states and see many newly built schools all over, road network everywhere, water supply is ensured in most places, salary is being paid on time & on monthly basis with little allocation they're collecting.
Unfortunately, masses in SW states never questioned their leaders abt their responsibilities, always wasting their time in Nairaland abusing leaders at the centre instead of holding the right persons accountable for their allocation. The point is, even if resource control is accented to the states those people will keep complaining forever because they've the worst governments in Nigeria. If ur leaders are brainwashing u and always using hatred to mislead u then u can neva understand where the problem lies in. Think again!

Are you talking about a different north from the one in Nigeria?

To begin with, these bolded states are not doing better than their counterpart in the south-west when in most cases these states get more from the federal government than those in the south-west( excluding Lagos). For example, Kano gets as much as 125% of what Oyo gets despite the latter having more urban areas, bigger landmass and more responsibilities. Katsina gets more than Ondo, Ogun, Ekiti. Yet Katsina is a much poorer state in infrastructure, human development index than any south-western states.

Finally, the most logical electorate who vote and their representative to do what is right reside in the southwest while the north-west has the most irrational voting population.

1 Like

Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by DZTech: 11:53pm On Mar 19, 2020
Simplyleo:

u sef., must u reply?

go to d link below for d full list and some reasons behind dem.

https://www.nairaland.com/4113366/what-difference-exclusive-concurrent-list
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by darediamond(m): 4:45am On Mar 20, 2020
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by Angelou(m): 8:20am On Mar 20, 2020
Blue3k:

The exclusive list are items only the Federal legislature can make laws on. The concurrent list are items both state and federal legislature can make laws on. Moving an item exclusive to concurrent gives more power to the states. If this bill were to pass state assemblies could pass their own holiday's without federal input.

thanks for your mature response, ifa person like me he ask, I for Don yab am 40 times before replying cheesy
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by meforyou1(m): 8:52am On Mar 20, 2020
nnanyereugo:
Nice one. The only good news from the rubber stamp senate
it's from House of Reps, not senate
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by Appleyard(m): 5:41pm On Mar 20, 2020
This is a very good move by the house of reps. I hope it scales through.

The Exclusive list is one hell of a Goliath that has surpressed and inhibited grassroots development, most especially in terms of infrastructures.

Imagined, in the United States, there are just 18 items in the exclusive legislative list. But here in Nigeria, there are 68 items in the exclusive legislative list. If this is not senseless, then I wonder what is. It means, if Buhari decide to only touch four items in his entire sluggish tenure, it automatically means 64 vital sectors of our national life would suffer. Of course, that is what has been going on, and that is why this country keep reeling backward into the abyss.

As if that isn't enough, the states still got to share with the overblown and overconcentrated center in the concurrent list, with the devilish so-called doctrine of covering the field.

States need more powers, and that's the only way Nigeria can develop as a nation. If states were controlling power generation before now, the power supply project would have improved dramatically.

I also support the abolishment of the land use act of 1979, and to vest ownership of land on local governments and individuals. Once these are done, no one would be interested in Abuja politics anymore, and Nigeria would steadily develop on its own.

1 Like

Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by VolvoS60(m): 5:46pm On Mar 20, 2020
Rapmoney:

^^^^
grin grin cheesy cheesy

I am not holding a brief for any of the combatants here...but given the posting history of the fellow asking those questions, I am amazed.

Incredible.

I am still not fully convinced he isn't trolling... cheesy
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by PHijo(m): 5:51pm On Mar 20, 2020
jham01:
Unfortunately, masses in SS states never questioned their leaders abt their responsibilities, always wasting their time in Nairaland abusing leaders at the centre instead of holding the right persons accountable for their allocation. The point is, even if resource control is accented to the states those people will keep complaining forever because they've the worst governments in Nigeria. If ur leaders are brainwashing u and always using hatred to mislead u then u can neva understand where the problem lies in. Think again!

Your level of ignorance is unprecedented!
By the way, where are you from?
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 20, 2020
Please can we sell the Senate and use the proceeds to fund the Federal House of Representatives?
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by VolvoS60(m): 6:21pm On Mar 20, 2020
Even though threads on this topic have been discussed on here for years - it speaks volumes that we are on just 3 pages for a bill this important. (Whether it will pass is a different story but let's put that aside for now)...

The resident trolls, demagogues, trouble makers etc. (except one or two wink) are noticeably absent on this thread. And why wouldn't they be absent ? The topic actually requires some basic education or knowledge about this country's constitution and system of government. That is much too difficult for some of us to acquire!

The very things so many of us complain about every damn day in this country are tied to the fundamental structural imbalances that this thread is discussing. And yet we are on just 3 pages...and you can be sure the follow up action by voters to their representatives on this bill will be almost nil. And yet people will complain (tomorrow, next week and the day after) that the country has gone to hell.

Talk about answers being hidden in plain sight... undecided

Edit: The road is still long. We must never forget this. While we are trying to make incremental progress, we must note that there is no point eliminating federal hegemony while perpetuating a hegemony of state governments. For example, as at today, local governments in Nigeria are still sucking at the teats of the states - LGs have zero power over their financial resources. What kind of perverse arrangement are we running where the states have full power over local governments (a so-called constitutionally separate, autonomous tier of government) statutory allocations? This is just one example of several - and these State/LG conflicts must also be addressed concurrently (no pun intended).

3 Likes

Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by leokid866: 6:37pm On Mar 20, 2020
myobjective:

Are you talking about a different north from the one in Nigeria?

To begin with, these bolded states are not doing better than their counterpart in the south-west when in most cases these states get more from the federal government than those in the south-west( excluding Lagos). For example, Kano gets as much as 125% of what Oyo gets despite the latter having more urban areas, bigger landmass and more responsibilities. Katsina gets more than Ondo, Ogun, Ekiti. Yet Katsina is a much poorer state in infrastructure, human development index than any south-western states.

Finally, the most logical electorate who vote and their representative to do what is right reside in the southwest while the north-west has the most irrational voting population.

True....maybe he meant to compare them to the SS and not SW.
Re: Reps Want Police, Mining, Power Generation To Leave Exclusive List by Ovamboland(m): 1:18am On Mar 22, 2020
anonimi:

Ordinarily, the south and middle belt can pull 2/3rd votes in the two chambers of the NASS to override the president's veto.
However, that won't happen without intense pressure from the streets.
The big question is- can we give our senators and representatives sustained intense pressure to deliver?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11029618_nigeria1959elections_jpegb311882ba015e01cc820b4c658d6161d

[img][img]https://3.bp..com/-QrFrnY2czPw/WYhZg3OMmjI/AAAAAAAADFM/nb4UIzwgIZszHJOKKJdpiut37c3HHxYyACLcBGAs/s640/pic.JPG[/img]https://1.bp..com/-AeMk2JGQaa0/WYhXfUnpcJI/AAAAAAAADFA/WSrDqe8ge0UkijRMFGphyQNjUClwdhJ6gCLcBGAs/s1600/pic.png[/img]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11029676_nigeria2006census_jpeg1263acd1a865975c60f1077957ed0d2f

This data shows AG was the most nationalistic party and had the best national spread, but propaganda was used to present them as tribalistic. NPC did not even contest for anything outside the northern region but propagandist of today don't call them a tribal or regional party.

AG and NCNC did themselves in the moment they agreed to the seat sharing formula that gave so many seats to the northern region all for the sake of independence

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Militants Bomb Agip Pipeline In Imo / Boko Haram Changes Killing Tactics, Kills 18 Youths With Knives / 'we Support The Suspension Of CJN Onnoghen' - Muslim Rights Group, MURIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.