Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,254 members, 7,807,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:16 PM

Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 (1723 Views)

APC: INEC Explains Why Lawan, Akpabio, Umahi Were Excluded From Their List / Senate Presidency: Five Reasons Why Lawan Defeated Ndume / NASS Leadership: Why Lawan And Gbajabiamila Should Not Be Elected (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by Ninokingz1(m): 7:46am On Mar 19, 2020
The fine details of the deal that saved Comrade Adams Oshiomhole’s job as the National Chairman of the All Progressives congress (APC) may have come to light as sources and recent events have revealed the conditionalities that Oshiomhole may have agreed to in order to retain his job as the party’s top executive.
After the meeting on Tuesday between President Muhammadu Buhari and governors elected under the APC, sources disclosed that top on the list of conditions that Oshiomhole was made to agree to was that the Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki and his Ondo State counterpart, Rotimi Akeredolu, would be granted the right of first refusal in their elections coming up later in the year.
An impeccable source in the top hierarchy of the party, who craved anonymity, said, “When the governor’s met before seeing the president, the pro-Oshiomhole, anti-Oshiomhole and non-aligned governors agreed that the condition for Oshiomhole’s continued stay as chairman of the APC was that he delivered Edo and Ondo State Governors. There were other conditions as well, which mandated Oshiomhole to recall suspended members of the APC. Oshiomhole was also to stop his highhandness and work with members of the National Working Committee and the leaders of the party, as against his former style.
“The governors have presented this position to the President and that was what guatanteed the reconciliatory moves that have manifested in the last few days.”
Another source close to the National Secretariat of the APC said Oshiomhole’s reconciliatory tone during the National Working Committee (NWC) meeting was a sign of the deal he agreed to.
He added, “He has taken a pacifist approach, which is part of what was asked to do to save his job. It is a honorable thing to do, giving where we were coming from.”
In line with the agreement, the Deputy National Chairman (North), Sen. Shuaibu Lawan, upon resumption in office on Wednesday, March 18, declared that the party’s choice in the upcoming gubernatorial election in Edo State is Governor Godwin Obaseki.
“The move is declarative and sacrosanct. It is the party leadership’s position, as have been agreed by the governors.”
It was also gathered that in trying to manage the blow back from the deal on his local support base in Edo State, Comrade Oshiomhole had arranged that the message for Obaseki be returned as governor be brought to the public by other members of the NWC and not himself. This move, many believe, is a strategy to ensure that it would be presented as the party’s position and outside the control of the National Chairman, who has agreed to allow for a more flexible approach for the running of the party’s affairs.
“It is reasonable that such a demand will be made by the governors. A lot of the pro-Oshiomhole governors are in their first term in office and would be needing the support of Governor Obaseki and Akeredolu when it would be their turn to seek re-election. So, it would only be wise for them to fight for the return of these governors in office, so when it is their turn they would also have people that would plead their case, in the event that anyone wants to play a fast one on them,” one of the aides to one of the pro-Oshiomhole governor said in confidence.

Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by TUANKU(m): 7:56am On Mar 19, 2020
Power pass power.
Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by Lawgod247: 7:59am On Mar 19, 2020
ok
Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by BUHARIISCURSED(m): 8:04am On Mar 19, 2020
grin When Obaseki enter again we go finish Adams, you think say Edo state na Lagos state??

1 Like

Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by ursullalinda(f): 8:05am On Mar 19, 2020
Obaseki is fighting like a man......Even if he didn't win.....he gave a good fight like a real man.....and he has my respect......I hate people who let others intimidate them where they can easily fight for themselves......it's an act of cowardice.

4 Likes

Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by Iyiataata92: 8:07am On Mar 19, 2020
if you didn't read it, here is the summary: (1)There are pro-Oshiomole, anti-Oshiomole and neutrals in APC
(1)obaseki has defeated Oshiomole
(3) Oshiomole has been humbled

2 Likes

Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by yemmight(m): 8:10am On Mar 19, 2020
He doesn't have a choice.
Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by Liposure: 9:11am On Mar 19, 2020
ursullalinda:
Obaseki is fighting like a man......Even if he didn't win.....he gave a good fight like a real man.....and he has my respect......I hate people who let others intimidate them where they can easily fight for themselves......it's an act of cowardice.
u talk like a fan of obaseki

2 Likes

Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by johnmartus(m): 9:18am On Mar 19, 2020
Obaseki should forget his second term.

1 Like

Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by ursullalinda(f): 9:24am On Mar 19, 2020
Liposure:
u talk like a fan of obaseki

Not from Edo state.....but o don't like how Oshiomole is intimidating him......Oshiomole used to be my man.....but he now behaves like a god which is not good for democracy.
Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by Hugui: 11:06am On Mar 19, 2020
Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:09am On Mar 19, 2020
I give it to the courage of Obaseki. He has proved he got balls in between his legs whether he lose out or win.

There is no other way out. Sometimes you have to fight like a man.

Shame on Ambode for the way hr chickened out. Look at how he has fizzled out in political circle. Still they keep on intimidating him. He was replaced with a clueless man who can hardly start a good project. The only project I see going on is on federal roads from federal govt in Lagos.

Once you bend from federal road, you are on your own. Even the round about at Allen Ikeja he started when I visited Lagos has remained stagnant when I returned.
Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by amazingcastro94(m): 11:20am On Mar 19, 2020
You guyz supporting Obaseki are just dummy....You think for Oshiomole to agree to such terms and conditions he doesnt know what he is doing? And the constitution of the party said in a situation where there is a two factional state chairman the National Chairman of the party will direct such state to go for Direct primary which by such action make Obaseki handicapped and the National Chairman is to provide a level playing ground for all the contestant. The Edo People Movement (EPM) are anxiously waiting for that day. Have you guyz forgotten that it was the same Direct primary election that was used to oust Ambode by Tinubu. Politics is a game of smartness and interest. Most of the sitting governors are against Direct Primary.

1 Like

Re: Why Lawan Declared Obaseki As Apc's Choice For Edo2020 by Olakunleyakub(m): 2:25pm On Mar 19, 2020
Are you high on the highway?
There is nothing like given a good fight.
A winner is a winner while a losser is a losser too..
So no point in given a good fight and eventually lost his re election. I don't have Any problem with obaseki anyway but if he want to test his political relevance den let him go on direct primary with other candidates shikenah.
ursullalinda:

(1) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Insults Awo-omamma , Eze Awo Fires Back / No Member Of Edo Assembly Endorsed Ize-iyamu: Speaker Accuses Dissident Members / Obasanjo, Adams Reconcile Differences After 15-years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.