Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,159 members, 7,780,122 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:57 AM

It's My First Car - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / It's My First Car (4278 Views)

Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner / When Did You Buy Your First Car And How Much Was It? / Best Car To Buy As A First Car: Car Buying Tips For First Time Buyers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It's My First Car by marshalcarter: 9:44am On Mar 21, 2020
legalwealth:
OP
Please pity the car dealer and go for his camry cool
Lolzzzz � cheesy abi.??
Re: It's My First Car by marshalcarter: 9:46am On Mar 21, 2020
mejai:
OP said 2010 Honda accord. Let us talk based on the model. 09 downwards not entertained.
Each model has its wahala.

Someone has already introduced corolla for sale too grin.
lolzzzz � not a fan of corolla...not now abeg grin
Re: It's My First Car by Ikenna351(m): 9:35pm On Mar 26, 2020
marshalcarter:
Hello great nairalanders... I'm in a one way lane and i need help ASAP...

I went to car dealer shop this morning to get this Honda Accord anaconda (2010 model) and he started preaching about how Honda are out of line...how Honda has shaft problem (note he doesn't have the car oooooh �) how Honda usually embarass people...blah blah blah...and he advised me to go for Toyota Camry muscle..that is the best..it is strong(he has the 07 model) it's spare parts is always available and cheap and all the preaching in the old testament...

please I need help...which should i go for
please note it's my first car and it's not something I'll drive often cos i also intend buying a small golf for errands...

Mr Gazzuzz
Mr ikenna351
Mr Nurey and all other car gurus in the house

You are asking the wrong question. But I can understand since you have no car ownership experience yet.

From your post, it's obvious you desire the Honda Accord so much that you find it uncomfortable to settle for the Toyota Camry the dealer is preaching to you to go for instead. The right questions would have been, "How bad is this Honda Accord model and any tips to prevent experiencing the peculiar issues the Honda Accord have?"

Anyone telling you his own brand of car is issue-free is one of the most dishonest person to flee from. It's interesting that people that normally claim their cars give no issues are always busy pointing out what is wrong with other brands of vehicles, blindly ignoring or choosing not to mention the headaches they have passed through with theirs in the past or currently.

Did the dealer mentioned you to you how much oil his Engine guzzles weekly? Did he tell you about the 10pin & 13pin automatic gearbox wahala with those models of Camry? Did the dealer tell you about how many times users of that Camry model have changed his AC compressors from auto to manual, back and forth? Did he tell you risk involved in owning Toyota vehicles of losing the car to thieves? Did he tell you cost of installing all kinds of security on Toyota vehicles, including expensive insurances, other vehicle brand users don't bother themselves with and still have peace of mind for years of ownerships? Should I go on?

A friend travelled out of the country and left his Toyota Camry of that model for about 2 weeks with me, to be warming for him till he comes back. From experience I gathered while driving the car those days, there was nothing wrong with that model of Camry. However, in terms of performance, I would grade him a straight line car. Road handling of that Camry on bend on highway was not good enough for me. But it doesn't make it a bad car. Just not for someone like me.

To apply more logic to your situation, what's the worst peculiar issues that Honda Accord is known for? Maybe front ball joints issues like other Accords (I can't confirm I have seen that Accord generation with that issue on Nigerian road though). If that is the case on this model too, how much will the original set of those front swivel/ball joints cost? 5k, 10k or 20k? If it's within 5 - 20k, can you afford to spend that amount to buy and replace them annually (every 12 months) to prevent the failure, even if they can actually last longer than that, apart from other general wear and tear you have to deal with during the ownership? If you truly love or desire that Honda Accord model like you expressed on this post, I don't think 5 - 20k every 12 months will be too much to afford to prevent having those issues other people complain about the car. How far are you willing to go for what you love or desire that is within your power to do?

Few car enthusiasts I have come across online in North America drive Honda Accord manuals. If I were you, I would go for a manual one since you said it's not going to be a daily driver (you have other plans for a daily use car), even if you think manual will be too stressful for you. One thing I can tell you for sure from my own experience is that Honda Accords are very zippy and their suspensions are superior to Toyota Camry (having driven different Honda Accords too). The V6 of that model may not have a manual transmission, but there 4 cylinders do (That's what Honda hard core enthusiasts drive most in Europe and North America). You can go for the automatic transmission though, if the manual is a no-no for you. But manual gives you less headache to worry about.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

5 Likes

Re: It's My First Car by Tnycee(m): 12:58am On Mar 27, 2020
@OP, buy a car you can wake up and drive anytime without fear of leg pull or shaft.

I would advise you Buy a toyota Camry, preferably 2010 and above. Or 2007 -2009 with 'low' mileage.

1 Like

Re: It's My First Car by marshalcarter: 8:07am On Mar 27, 2020
Ikenna351:

You are asking the wrong question. But I can understand since you have no car ownership experience yet.

From your post, it's obvious you desire the Honda Accord so much that you find it uncomfortable to settle for the Toyota Camry the dealer is preaching to you to go for instead. The right questions would have been, "How bad is this Honda Accord model and any tips to prevent experiencing the peculiar issues the Honda Accord have?"

Anyone telling you his own brand of car is issue-free is one of the most dishonest person to flee from. It's interesting that people that normally claim their cars give no issues are always busy pointing out what is wrong with other brands of vehicles, blindly ignoring or choosing not to mention the headaches they have passed through with theirs in the past or currently.

Did the dealer mentioned you to you how much oil his Engine guzzles weekly? Did he tell you about the 10pin & 13pin automatic gearbox wahala with those models of Camry? Did the dealer tell you about how many times users of that Camry model have changed his AC compressors from auto to manual, back and forth? Did he tell you risk involved in owning Toyota vehicles of losing the car to thieves? Did he tell you cost of installing all kinds of security on Toyota vehicles, including expensive insurances, other vehicle brand users don't bother themselves with and still have peace of mind for years of ownerships? Should I go on?

A friend travelled out of the country and left his Toyota Camry of that model for about 2 weeks with me, to be warming for him till he comes back. From experience I gathered while driving the car those days, there was nothing wrong with that model of Camry. However, in terms of performance, I would grade him a straight line car. Road handling of that Camry on bend on highway was not good enough for me. But it doesn't make it a bad car. Just not for someone like me.

To apply more logic to your situation, what's the worst peculiar issues that Honda Accord is known for? Maybe front ball joints issues like other Accords (I can't confirm I have seen that Accord generation with that issue on Nigerian road though). If that is the case on this model too, how much will the original set of those front swivel/ball joints cost? 5k, 10k or 20k? If it's within 5 - 20k, can you afford to spend that amount to buy and replace them annually (every 12 months) to prevent the failure, even if they can actually last longer than that, apart from other general wear and tear you have to deal with during the ownership? If you truly love or desire that Honda Accord model like you expressed on this post, I don't think 5 - 20k every 12 months will be too much to afford to prevent having those issues other people complain about the car. How far are you willing to go for what you love or desire that is within your power to do?

Few car enthusiasts I have come across online in North America drive Honda Accord manuals. If I were you, I would go for a manual one since you said it's not going to be a daily driver (you have other plans for a daily use car), even if you think manual will be too stressful for you. One thing I can tell you for sure from my own experience is that Honda Accords are very zippy and their suspensions are superior to Toyota Camry (having driven different Honda Accords too). The V6 of that model may not have a manual transmission, but there 4 cylinders do (That's what Honda hard core enthusiasts drive most in Europe and North America). You can go for the automatic transmission though, if the manual is a no-no for you. But manual gives you less headache to worry about.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.
boss...thank you very much and i know you're from the Lion family cool my dad is a huge fan...okay...let me just be simple...I'm a fan of BMW...like a die hard fan but you know the cost of maintaining a BMW(wanna wait till I know I'm financially stable grin and based on first car things cry )..I just need a run about car...if possible I'd even go for 607 or 407(both manual transmission(cos i haven't even gotten any car yet)..I just wanna use it as means to learn how to maintain cars and other important roles between man and car...that's the reason for even going for Japanese ride in the first place....

*****I'm a big fan of manual transmission*****
thanks boss
Re: It's My First Car by johnny2013(m): 11:03am On Mar 27, 2020
I have just been observing by reading some people saying what they know little or nothing about concerning brands of cars and what problems they are known for, that's not cool as far as I am concerned.
OP. You like a Honda car? Go for it and enjoy your ride.
I personally have been driving Honda cars since 2013 till today and have no reason whatsoever to change except when am buoyant enough to get an additional car then think of a Lexus (luxury arm of Toyota), Ford or Audi but to think of a straight Toyota against a Honda of the same year is unimaginable for now.
Pls go to Kelley blue or edmunds.com and compare the two brands instead seeking confusion from people who hear from other people. Refer also to one or two people's post above including 'The Lion King' and you will be convinced that you are making the right choice.
Honda Accord of 2010 by far has a better handling than that Toyota that man is advertising to you, no arguments.

As per the leg issue they talk about, just like I said I drove a civic for six years and now using 04 Accord but never witnessed that. Maybe they think other cars don't pull legs. After all it's peculiar to Nigerian because of our bad Maintenance culture fake spare parts and bad roads but 2010 model and the likes are exempted if it ever existed.

I bought my Accord from US a year ago with 150k mileage and the mechanic just confirmed yesterday that the ball joints have never been changed before because I started hearing sound and asked him to check the legs for me.

Do your personal research one above sites I mentioned and make your decision but am sure some people here have been reasonable enough with their posts to have helped you.

2 Likes

Re: It's My First Car by valarinz: 11:31am On Mar 27, 2020
nurey:

My brother I no be mechanic grin , I don't even know jack shit about cars before I bought the Accord. The shaft pulling is more rampant in Nigeria because fake parts are bound. But the 08 upwards Accord was immune to it.

Re: It's My First Car by valarinz: 11:38am On Mar 27, 2020
Please to all ye "honda ball joint pulling crew", does this pull happen every day?

I don't get it with the blind (almost zombified chorus) of "honda shafts pull", "honda ball joints fail", is that the only issue you guys can find with the accord? If yes, then I'll give the car 99% pass mark.

No car is free of one issue or the other, why won't i buy a car i love cos of shaft pull that happens perhaps once in 3yrs

1 Like

Re: It's My First Car by johnny2013(m): 12:47pm On Mar 27, 2020
valarinz:
Please to all ye "honda ball joint pulling crew", does this pull happen every day?

I don't get it with the blind (almost zombified chorus) of "honda shafts pull", "honda ball joints fail", is that the only issue you guys can find with the accord? If yes, then I'll give the car 99% pass mark.

No car is free of one issue or the other, why won't i buy a car i love cos of shaft pull that happens perhaps once in 3yrs

My brother, if you replace with original ball joints, you can use then for 6 to 8 years and that's because of the bad Roads here and there so why bother myself

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Expired Temporary Drivers License / Has Anyone Tried To Drift A Car In Nigeria / Siena,: Pls Help Me Out.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.