Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! (17918 Views)

Natural Phenomena Showing The Oneness Of Allah (pics) / 20 Ways Of Showing Off One's Good Deeds. / New York Times Enraged Over Showing Of Film On Stealth Jihad To NYPD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 2:33am On Dec 26, 2010
A very good article i came across.

[size=14pt]Riyaa (showing off).[/size]

Riyaa' is when one intends to gain the people's pleasure [/b]when drawing close to Allah Tala. It is action of the heart and not the action of the tongue.

For example: One can draw closer to Allah Tala in worships ('Ibadaat) or many other things. So the one who prolongs his prostration [b]so that people can see him
is showing off.

The one who writes an article so that people say he is a scholar is showing off.
The one who gives a lecture to impress the people is showing off.
The one who gives a khutbah so people say he is a good khateeb is showing off.
The one who wears rags so people say he is simple is showing off.
The one who grows a beard and wears jalbiyya so people say he is following sunah is showing off.
The one who walks with head down so people think he is pious is showing off.
The one who carries a small copy of the Quran and reads it in public to show people [/b]is showing off.

We live in a reality where there is no shame in showing off, rather the great majority of Muslims are naive and unaware of its reality and rules. The proof that we live in an age where there is no shame in riyaa` is the appearence of qalaamis al burood, which the prophet (saw) informed us about for example Al-Hakeem at-Tirmizi reported in an-Nawaadir about a hadith whose isnaad is sound, on the authority of Anas (ra) the prophet (saw) said:
", Then there will appear al-qalaanis ul-burood, and at that time there will be no shame of the showing off (riyaa')."

qalaamis al-burood means hood and outergarments.

Riyaa is not discovered by anyone except Allah Tala, even the one who is doing it at times is not aware of it unless he enjoys Khalis Ikhlaas.[b]Riyaa (showing off) is absolutly forbidden.

Ibn Majah and al-Bayhaqi reported wiht a hasan isnad on the authority of abu Saeed al-khudri that Prophet (saw) said when he saw them talking abt the Maseeha ad-dajjal, he said:
"shall I not inform you what i I fear of you more than the Maseeh ud-Dajjal? we said: Yes, Oh Messanger of Allah! he said: It is the hidden Shirk, which is when a man stands up for prayer, then beautifies his prayer for because of another man is looking (at him)."

in Another hadith the prophet (saw) said:
" A little showing off (riyaa') is shirk."

The Riyaa of shirk invalidates the action so by greater reasoning (Qayas Awla) an action should be invalidated if its purely showing off in techinal term Riyaa' Khalis as oppose to Ikhlaas Khalis as mentioned above.

Ahmed reported on the authority of Ubay b. Ka'ab with a hasan Isnad tha the prophet (saw) said:
"Give good tidings to this ummah of splendor, high ranks, victory and strengthening. Whoever of them worked the deeds of Akhirah for the sake of the dunya, he would not have any share/reward in the akhirah."

Riyaa` is shirk, Allah Tala will ignore the action done out of Riyaa' to the one who associates partners with Allah Tala (shirk), he Allah Tala on the day of judgement will ask the one who does Riyaa, ask for Riyaa from the Shareek (partner one associated with Allah) ie the one for whom the action was done to please other than Allah Tala.

[size=14pt]Trick of Shaytan with Riya to lessen our Ibadah
[/size]
In between our effort to avoid riya(show off) beware of the Devils whispers! For Example: In between the prayer the Shaytan will try to convince us to shorten the prayer, misguiding us with the reason of riya. Also when we are about to post a good article, the Shaytan will wishper 'Dont do it people might think you are a show off'. Do not leave an Ibadah inorder to avoid Riya, but instead do more of it, just be sincere and keep in mind that we do it ONLY to please Allah ta'ala.
So we have to be careful of both things:
1. Avoid riya(show off)
2. Do not avoid doing good deed for the fear of Riya.

Riya is a double edged sword indeed.

There is a technique ,which i have heard from an imam, to avoid both of it in one go. Whenever you are in situation when you have to do Ibadat(like salath or giving zakat) while there are people around you, just go ahead and do it while considering that you are surrounded by camels instead of people. In that way we can avoid Riya(showing off) and also will we be saved from decreasing the good deeds in the fear of showing off. The trick is not to care about what others think about your Imaan or good deeds. All that matters is what Allah (swt) thinks of us.

Ya Ar-ha-mar-Raahemeen
We intent to do Ibadah only to please you,
Save us from the trouble of Riya.
Ameen.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 2:43am On Dec 26, 2010
Dua against riya.

'AbAbu 'Ali, a man from Banu Kaalil, said, "Abu Moosa al-Ash'ari addressed us and said, "O people! Fear this shirk as it is more hidden than a crawling ant." 'Abdullah ibn Hazm and Qays bin al-Madaarib both stood and said, "By Allah! You should clarify what you have said, otherwise we shall bring 'Umar with authority on our behalf or without it". He then said, "Rather I will explain to you what I said. Allaah's Messenger (saw) addressed us one day and said, "O People! Fear this shirk as it is more hidden than a crawling ant." Then someone whom Allaah had willed to speak said: "And how shall we save ourselves from it when it is more hidden than a crawling ant, O Messenger of Allaah?".

He said, "Say "Allahumma inni a`udhu bika an ushrika bika wa ana a`lamu wa astaghfiruka lima la a`lamu"
[O Allah I seek refuge in You from knowingly associating partners with You, and I seek Your forgiveness for that which I do not know].

Ameen.

1 Like

Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 4:11am On Dec 26, 2010
"And they were not commanded except to worship Allaah making the Deen sincerely for Him and being upright and true (in faith), to establish regular prayer and to practise regular charity. That is the right and straight deen." (98:5)

"And whether you hide what is in your souls or make it manifest, Allaah knows it" (3:29)

"And if you associate (partners) with Allaah vain and useless will be your work". (39:65).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by Deen4me(m): 6:25am On Dec 26, 2010
Salam bro

Nice One

May Allah increase you in beneficial knowledge
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 7:21am On Dec 26, 2010
Wa alaikumusalaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu.

Also May Allah bless the ones who originally wrote this article. I just copy pasted most of it.
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 2:50am On Dec 27, 2010
Abu Hurayrah, who said, “I heard the Messenger of Allah say,
‘ Verily, the first to be judged on the Day of Resurrection will be
  a man who had died as a martyr. He will be brought forward. Allah will remind him of the favours He had bestowed upon him and the man will acknowledge them. Then He will ask him: `What did you do to express gratitude for it?’ The man will reply: `I fought for Your Cause till I was martyred.’ Allah will say: `You have lied. You fought so that people might call you courageous; and they have done so.’ Command will then be issued about him and he will be dragged on his face and thrown into Hell.

Next a man who had acquired and imparted knowledge and read the Qur’an [/b]will be brought forward, Allah will remind him of the favours He had bestowed upon him and the man will acknowledge them. Then He will ask him: `What did you do to express gratitude for it?’ The man will reply: `I acquired knowledge and taught it, and read the Qur’an for Your sake.’ Allah will say to him: `[b]You have lied. You acquired knowledge so that people might call you a learned (man), and you read the Qur’an so that they might call you a reciter, and they have done so.’ Command will then be issued about him, and he will be dragged on his face and thrown into Hell.

Next a man whom Allah had made affluent and to whom Allah had given plenty of wealth, will be brought forward, Allah will remind him of the favours He had bestowed upon him and the man will acknowledge them. He will ask him: `What did you do to express gratitude for it?’ The man will reply: `I did not neglect any of the ways You liked wealth to be spend liberally for Your sake’. Allah will say to him: `You have lied. You did it so that people might call you generous, and they have done so.’ Command will then be issued about him and he will be dragged on his face and thrown into Hell.”

[Muslim]
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 3:16am On Dec 28, 2010
Best way to avoid Riya (showing off): Ikhlas (sincere devotion)

O you who believe!  Do not render in vain your Sadaqah (charity) by reminders of your generosity or by injury,
like him who spends his wealth to be seen of men, and he does not believe in Allah, nor in the Last Day.
His likeness is the likeness of a smooth rock on which is a little dust; on it falls heavy rain which leaves it bare.
They are not able to do anything with what they have earned. And Allah does not guide the disbelieving people.
[Quran: 2.264]

Subahanallah! How clearly and beautifully it is mentioned in the Quran 'His likeness is the likeness of a smooth rock on which is a little dust; on it falls heavy rain which leaves it bare. ' People who give Sadaqa to get appreciation are superficial.

According to a report from Idris al-Khawlani (ra), Allah's Messenger (saw) once said:
For every truth [haqq] there is a real meaning [haqiqa] to be experienced,
and a servant [of the Lord] will not experience the real meaning of sincere devotion [ikhlas],
until he no longer likes to be praised for any work he performs for the sake of Allah (Almighty and Glorious is He).
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 2:18am On Dec 30, 2010
In the Qur'an in Surah 26 As Shuara – Verse 87-89,
Allah says that on the Day of Judgement, nothing will be of any use to us, except a sound heart – Qalbun Salim

87. And do not disgrace me on the Day they are raised up,

88. The Day when neither wealth nor sons will be of any use

89. Except [/b]to those that who came to Allah with a [b]sound and flawless hearts.’

Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 3:24am On Jan 04, 2011
It is reported from Ya'qoob al-Makfoof that he said:
"The sincere person is the one who hides his good deeds just like he hides his evil deeds."
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by muhsin(m): 6:42pm On Jan 05, 2011
Salam,

Exactly! Only a few of us escape this, wallahi. May Allah, the Exalted, give us the strength to resist Shaytaan temptation on that, amin.

Nice OP brother. Allah reward you, amin.

1 Like

Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 2:43am On Jan 06, 2011
Ameen,
Wa alaikumusalaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu.

May Allah also reward the persons who wrote the original article. Ameen.
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by ifyalways(f): 9:17am On Jan 06, 2011
Azharuddin,you are doing a good job here.
Salam.
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 1:59am On Jan 07, 2011
Wa alaikumussalaam,
Lots of ppl posting good articles in this forum, i got inspired by them. May Allah increase our knowledge. Ameen.
Allah knows best.
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 2:02am On Jan 07, 2011
It is reported from Ibn Mas'ood (ra) that he said:
"Do not learn knowledge for three (things):
1.To amaze and confound the foolish,
2.to argue with the learned and
3.to make peoples faces turn towards you.
(But) seek what is with Allah with your hearts and actions, since only that will remain and whatever is besides it will go."
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 2:59am On Jan 14, 2011
It is reported from Ibn al-Mubaarak that he said: I heard Ja'far bin Hayyaan say:
"The foundations of these actions are the intentions. Indeed a man reaches with his intentions a position he does not reach with his actions."
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 3:39pm On Jan 17, 2011
It has been said:
The damage (caused) to every servant lies in his being pleased with himself.
Whoever looks at his (own) soul and sees something in it which he deems to be good has caused its destruction.
And whoever does not suspect his soul at every single moment is one who is deceived.
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 6:28am On Jan 20, 2011
It was said to Sahl:
What is the hardest thing for the soul (to achieve)?
He said:
Sincerity, when there is no other desire in it.
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 3:01am On Jan 25, 2011
"To neglect one's religious practice for the sake of other people is a form of hypocrisy [riya'].
To perform one's religious practice for the sake of other people is a form of polytheistic idolatry [shirk].
As for sincere devotion [ikhlas], it is being afraid that Allah (Exalted is He) might punish you for either of these two offenses."

[Fudail ibn 'Iyad ]
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by mukina2: 2:13pm On Jan 25, 2011
Very good article. smiley thanks for sharing bro.
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 7:02am On Jan 29, 2011
mukina2:

Very good article. smiley thanks for sharing bro.
: )
I hope we all can put this into practice. InshAllah.
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 7:10am On Jan 29, 2011
Few opinions with regard to the meaning of sincere devotion [ikhlas].
For instance, it was[i] al-Hasan [al-Basri][/i] (may Allah bestow His mercy upon him) who said:

"I asked Hudhaifa (Ra): 'What is meant by sincere devotion [ikhlas]?'
He replied: 'I once asked the Prophet (Saw): "What is meant by sincere devotion [ikhlas]?"
He(Prophet Saw) replied :" 'I once asked Gabriel (As): "What is meant by sincere devotion [ikhlas]?"
He(Gabriel) replied: "I once asked the Lord of Might and Glory [Rabb al-'Izza] (Majestic and Exalted is He): 'What is meant by sincere devotion [ikhlas]?'
So Allah told me : 'It is a secret, a part of My secret knowledge [sirr min Sirri], which[b] I entrust[/b] to the heart of anyone I love among My servants.'
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 3:56pm On Feb 06, 2011
"Make your intention sincere in all of your actions and little action will suffice you."

1 Like

Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 5:30am On Feb 25, 2011
It was Sa'id ibn Jubair [ibn Hisham al-Asadi] (may Allah bestow His mercy upon him) who said:
"The meaning of sincere devotion [ikhlas] is that the servant [of the Lord] devotes his religion sincerely to Allah,
that he puts it into practice for the sake of Allah (Exalted is He), that he attributes no partner to Him in his religion, and
that he does not seek to impress anyone with his religious practice."
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 7:24am On Mar 21, 2011
It was Yahya ibn Mu'adh [ar-Razi] (may Allah bestow His mercy upon him) who said:
"Sincere devotion [ikhlas] means keeping one's religious practice uncontaminated by imperfections,
as in the process of milking a ruminant, when the milk must be preserved from contamination by the animal's droppings and blood."
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 4:26pm On Apr 14, 2011
There are three habits, by conforming to which the heart of a Muslim will not be invaded by rancor, malevolence, malice or spite.
They are:
(1) working for the sake of Allah with sincere devotion [ikhlas],
(2) giving honest counse[/b]l [munasaha] to those in positions of authority, and
(3) keeping [b]closely in touch
with the community [jama'a] of the Muslims.
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 4:20am On May 04, 2011
Ruwaim (may Allah bestow His mercy upon him) once said:

"Sincere devotion [ikhlas] means removing one's admiring gaze from the[b] action[/b] performed."
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 6:32pm On May 06, 2011
According to a traditional report, transmitted on the authority of Anas ibn Malik, Allah's Messenger (Allah bless him and give him peace) once said:

"There are three habits, by conforming to which the heart of a Muslim will not be invaded by rancor, malevolence, malice or spite. They are:
(1) working for the sake of Allah with sincere devotion [ikhlas],
(2) giving honest counsel [munasaha] to those in positions of authority, and
(3) keeping closely in touch with the community [jama'a] of the Muslims."
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 2:01am On May 10, 2011
It was Abu Bakr ad-Daqqaq (may Allah bestow His mercy upon him) who said:
"The shortcoming [/b]of everyone who tries to be sincere [mukhlis] in his sincere devotion, [b]is the tendency to admire his sincere devotion [ikhlas].
If Allah (Exalted is He) wishes to purify his sincere devotion [an yukhallisa ikhlasa-hu], He will therefore rid [/b]his sincerity of that [b]tendency to admire his sincere devotion, so he will then be a mukhallas [one who has been made sincere through purification], rather than a mukhlis [one who [b]tries [/b]to be sincere]."
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 5:47am On May 31, 2011
It was al-Fudail [ibn 'Iyad at-Talaqani] (rahimahullah) who said:

"To neglect one's religious practice[b] for the sake of other people[/b] is a form of hypocrisy [riya'].
To perform [/b]one's religious practice[b] for the sake of other peopl[/b]e is a form of [b]polytheistic idolatry [shirk].
As for sincere devotion [ikhlas],
it is being afraid that Allah might chastise you for either of these two offenses."
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by mukina2: 5:08pm On Jun 06, 2011
Nice. keep posting them smiley
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by azharuddin: 7:15am On Jun 07, 2011
mukina2:

Nice. keep posting them smiley

InshAllah sister.
Re: Beware of Riyaa (showing Off)!!! by Nekai(f): 7:22am On Jun 07, 2011
azharuddin:

It was Abu Bakr ad-Daqqaq (may Allah bestow His mercy upon him) who said:
"The shortcoming [/b]of everyone who tries to be sincere [mukhlis] in his sincere devotion, [b]is the tendency to admire his sincere devotion [ikhlas].
If Allah (Exalted is He) wishes to purify his sincere devotion [an yukhallisa ikhlasa-hu], He will therefore rid [/b]his sincerity of that [b]tendency to admire his sincere devotion, so he will then be a mukhallas [one who has been made sincere through purification], rather than a mukhlis [one who [b]tries [/b]to be sincere]."

smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Assault On Lautech Muslim Lady: MURIC Asks Oyo Govt To Investigate. / Ruling On Kissing One's Spouse In Front Of The Children / Umar Ibn Al-khattab: His Contributions In The Battles Of Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.