Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,833 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m (69731 Views)

Police Arrest Constables Who Demanded Money From Dutch Rider In Oyo / Video Of SARS Officer Searching Phones Weeks After Disbandment By IGP / Akintunde Ajayi: Police Arrest Teacher Who Demanded Sex From Schoolgirl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Brosbeforehoes: 5:58am On Mar 21, 2020
For driving ‘big’ car, IGP X-Squad arrested me, demanded N10m – Odiakaose, Poland-based Nigerian

Harry Odiakaose is a Nigerian based in Poland, who is from Igbodo in the Ika North-East Local Government of Area of Delta State. He tells MATTHEW OCHEI how a team of Inspector-General of Police X-Squad allegedly arrested and attempted to extort N10m from him, even though he did nothing wrong. IGP X-Squad is a police internal accountability mechanism that seeks to ensure that police officers are accountable for their actions and inactions, by dealing with cases of unprofessional conduct by the police against members of the public

You were arrested by a team of the Inspector-General of Police X-Squad, how did it happen?

I don’t even know why I was arrested. I was driving along Lagos-Asaba Road, and on getting to Koka Junction, they overtook my vehicle and asked me to pull over. Immediately, I pulled over. They asked me to get down from the car and open the boot, and I did as I was directed. They searched the car thoroughly and couldn’t find anything incriminating. After that, they asked whose car it was and I said it was mine.

They said I could not afford such a car and I explained to them that I was based in Europe, Poland precisely, for 13 years before returning to Nigeria last year. This is the second time I would come to Nigeria since I left the country in 2006. Then they said I was a kidnapper or ‘G’ guy or ‘Yahoo’ guy (fraudster). They ordered me to get into the car and they took me away.

What did they say was your offence?

They said I was driving a ‘big’ car – Lexus 350. Therefore, anybody driving a so-called ‘big’ car in Nigeria is a kidnapper or ‘G’ guy.

What happened after your arrest?

They took my car key and papers. I was taken to a mango tree where they made allegations against me and forced me to write a statement. They took me to Ibusa Police Division but kept me under the mango tree and threatened not to allow me to go until I transferred money to them.

How long did you spend there?

I spent the whole day there; if not for the intervention of a human rights activist who helped me, it would have been a different story.

Were you tortured?

No, but they threatened me and forced me to make a statement and admit that I was a kidnapper. But my brother, who is a civil servant at the state fire service, was beaten till he was almost unconscious, even after he showed them his identity card.

How many of you were kept where you were taken?

We were two in the vehicle – a friend, Oge and I. We were arrested together.

What was the condition of the place?

It was under a mango tree at the station. They asked for the name of the primary and secondary schools I attended and other things, which I told them. I showed them my travelling papers and everything. Then they asked me to give them N10m and I asked them where they expected me to get N10m from and what offence I committed that attracted such an amount of money. After so much argument, they reduced it to N500,000, saying it was for my bail and that I should transfer the amount to them.

Were your relations notified?

In the process, I managed to call my girlfriend and explained what I was going through to her. She was the one who contacted the human rights activist who rescued me from the hands of the IGP X-Squad. She said the activist had helped many people who were unjustly arrested by the police.

So what happened after they demanded the money?

My brother came and tried to plead with them. He showed his ID as a fire service official, thinking that they would listen to him. They asked him to stay aside and give them some room. After some hours, my brother went back to them to continue to plead; that was when they started beating him.

Did you give them any money?

No, I didn’t give them anything because the activist got involved in the matter. When they came, the police refused to talk to them and the man (activist) started making calls.

So why were you released?

The activist said the Commissioner of Police in the state, Hafiz Inuwa, directed that I should be released without paying money.

What can you say about the attitude and conduct of the policemen who arrested you?

Oh! If I had the opportunity, I would say a lot. The attitude of the policemen was even worse than what I would expect from kidnappers. What they did was evil; it was wickedness at the highest level. They are supposed to protect us, not extort money from us. There is no difference between the policemen and kidnappers. How could you accost someone on the road because he was driving what you called a ‘big’ car? What they are doing in Nigeria is not good. This is not how police behave in other countries. In Nigeria, they say the police are your friend but from what I see in Nigeria, I can’t call such people my friends. When they see a young guy driving, they start humiliating and extorting money from him. This is not the best way to police the area.

So, are you against having police checkpoints?

No, I am not against it. But it should be conducted professionally and they should respect people’s rights. When they stop someone and find something incriminating on the person, the person should answer for it but they should not be forcing people at gunpoint to say they did what they did not do or demanding money from members of the public. If after searching people, nothing incriminating is found on them, they should be allowed to go their way. They searched my car and even looked through my phone and they did not find anything incriminating, then they should have allowed me to go.

https://punchng.com/for-driving-big-car-igp-x-squad-arrested-me-demanded-n10m-odiakaose-poland-based-nigerian/

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Trueigbo: 6:00am On Mar 21, 2020
What do you expect when there is poor welfare for our security officers.

Restructuring is way out

75 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by overdrive(m): 6:04am On Mar 21, 2020
Welcome to Nigeria.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by 175(m): 6:09am On Mar 21, 2020
Man big, big trouble! undecided undecided

Shameless policemen! angry angry angry

With all these revelations, this squad is supposed to be exposed and orderly tried in that their room grin cheesy grin afterwards they should be dismissed from the Force. And jailed after civil trial in a competent court of Law.

But alas they won't because it's a syndicate within the Police top echelon that coordinates them. cry cry cry cry

131 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by espn(m): 6:15am On Mar 21, 2020
Animals in uniform...

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by allthingsgood: 6:22am On Mar 21, 2020
Police are the most corrupt federal institution. Very greedy useless animals

134 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by DozieInc(m): 6:26am On Mar 21, 2020
Police is your friend... lie of the century

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by agulion: 6:30am On Mar 21, 2020
Let's see if any discipline action will be taken against them, zoo police

15 Likes

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by helinues: 6:33am On Mar 21, 2020
The SARS may be notorious but this guy matter get k-leg

So they demanded N10m from you for driving a big car and also because you just returned from Poland as if you are the first to do that from Delta State

19 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Nobody: 6:35am On Mar 21, 2020
It's because you failed the simple question: may we know you?..

You being in Poland for 13years is not an answer, a better answer could have been:

Good afternoon officers, My name is harry, from delta state, I am a business man who majorly deals in Autoparts equipments and components, currently reside in Poland and on a vacation to visit my family in Nigeria. Here is my ID card and work documents aswell just to clear all doubts, here is my contact card and car documents also, I think they are all valid...

We understand the nature of the job you do, please stay safe while at it...

There is nothing manner of approach cannot solve.

140 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by RoyalBlu(f): 6:35am On Mar 21, 2020
They demanded 10m for driving a Lexus 350.

Hmmmm

Wonder what they'd have demanded if he was driving a BMW X6.

All these thieving criminals in uniform. SMH

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by StaffofOrayan(m): 6:35am On Mar 21, 2020
A section of the police meant to stop corrupt cops are corrupt!
The irony

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Gentlemanforyou: 6:35am On Mar 21, 2020
Wow
Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by ogbuefi677(m): 6:35am On Mar 21, 2020
Buhari is a tyrant and tyrants love it when the citizens are oppressed cos you can't even demand for good governance when you are under repression.
That is why he has refused to do anything about SARS.
Shame on Osunbade for using his pastor and SAN clout to add legitimacy to buhari's military junta.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Exmilitant(m): 6:54am On Mar 21, 2020
Not making a case for the cops, but your first response to them matters a lot. some of these abroad base returnees are very arrogant and mannerless. He looks it from the pics.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by layzie: 6:55am On Mar 21, 2020
Trueigbo:

Restructuring is way out

Poor welfare does not justify the action of these police officers.
U dont beat someone to a state of almost unconsciousness because of poor welfare. What is the renumeration of the fire service officer they beat up? Or should those ones allow houses to burn because of poor welfare?
It's simply greed.
Pay these particular guys 200k per month, they will still do this.

100 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Fasindo: 7:00am On Mar 21, 2020
shocked

The world worst police.

The man just experienced what we experience in Naija everyday.

Nigerian police ar enemy of progress.
Once u ar rich they will tag u kidnapper or Yahoo, but when they see real kidnapper they will chicken out.

Police is not a job someone should be proud of doing.

They man shouldn't be so bothered about it, law of Karma will visit the police inform of Army, navy or air force dealing with them.

Am always happy whenever I see the military dealing with those motherfucker.
I know a guy that joined navy just to keep dealing with police.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by layzie: 7:03am On Mar 21, 2020
Esseite:

You being in Poland for 13years is not an answer, a better answer could have been:

Good afternoon officers, My name is harry, from delta state, I am a business man who majorly deals in Autoparts equipments and components, currently reside in Poland and on a vacation to visit my family in Nigeria. Here is my ID card and work documents aswell just to clear all doubts, here is my contact card and car documents also, I think they are all valid...

U may not be correct with this assertion.
The man was kept under tree for a whole day because they know something must come out from him given the car he drives. If he was riding a bicycle, will they keep him there?

It's greed. In their mind, they have already earned and shared 500k-1m the guy will bring so nothing was going to stop them from physically collecting it.
They beat up his brother almost to unconsciousness for coming to intervene. Manner of approach too?

136 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by DoubleEngine007: 7:09am On Mar 21, 2020
Those fools at Asaba... Na so them hold my guy for days,threatening him to make transfer,when he didn't do anything.. They didn't allow him call anybody,until after 5days..
Na to beat and maltreat innocent people them sabi.. I heard some bad boys collected guns and car from some of them at a road block around back of NTA and they couldn't do anything.But if it was to beat innocent people ,them go dey form 007 James Bond.. Someone up there said its bad welfare.. Nigga that's not enough reason for Police to be stealing from people,they ought to be protecting.. If Police work is not paying them enough,why don't they find another job??
Na ogun go kill all the bad police people las las...

86 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by seankafor(m): 7:21am On Mar 21, 2020
Like it's the police that's the only corrupt department in Nigeria..

Go to schools,hospitals, church and many others and see the level of corruption going on there..

Police is damn corrupt, so do others.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 21, 2020
Seriously, RX 350 is a big car.

Okay, N10m and the big car, which one is bigger ?

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Kingluqman(m): 7:35am On Mar 21, 2020
I wish everybody get spy camera, when dey wan extort you, you go fit video am con send the video to necessary people wey ho fit take up the case to deal with them.

Police are not our friend

Avoid Black and Blue at all cost

20 Likes

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by sapientia(m): 7:36am On Mar 21, 2020
Op.. Everything they did to you is their new work description from the IG.

Even the person that ordered them to release you is involved.

IG takes his cuts too.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Coldie(m): 7:46am On Mar 21, 2020
Trueigbo:

Restructuring is way out
Which one is poor welfare, if the welfare is poor and they don't want to work let them resign

9 Likes

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Nobody: 8:08am On Mar 21, 2020
Brosbeforehoes:
Harry Odiakaose is a Nigerian based in Poland, who is from Igbodo in the Ika North-East Local Government of Area of Delta State. He tells MATTHEW OCHEI how a team of Inspector-General of Police X-Squad allegedly arrested and attempted to extort N10m from him, even though he did nothing wrong. IGP X-Squad is a police internal accountability mechanism that seeks to ensure that police officers are accountable for their actions and inactions, by dealing with cases of unprofessional conduct by the police against members of the public

You were arrested by a team of the Inspector-General of Police X-Squad, how did it happen?

I don’t even know why I was arrested. I was driving along Lagos-Asaba Road, and on getting to Koka Junction, they overtook my vehicle and asked me to pull over. Immediately, I pulled over. They asked me to get down from the car and open the boot, and I did as I was directed. They searched the car thoroughly and couldn’t find anything incriminating. After that, they asked whose car it was and I said it was mine.

They said I could not afford such a car and I explained to them that I was based in Europe, Poland precisely, for 13 years before returning to Nigeria last year. This is the second time I would come to Nigeria since I left the country in 2006. Then they said I was a kidnapper or ‘G’ guy or ‘Yahoo’ guy (fraudster). They ordered me to get into the car and they took me away.

What did they say was your offence?

They said I was driving a ‘big’ car – Lexus 350. Therefore, anybody driving a so-called ‘big’ car in Nigeria is a kidnapper or ‘G’ guy.

What happened after your arrest?

They took my car key and papers. I was taken to a mango tree where they made allegations against me and forced me to write a statement. They took me to Ibusa Police Division but kept me under the mango tree and threatened not to allow me to go until I transferred money to them.

How long did you spend there?

I spent the whole day there; if not for the intervention of a human rights activist who helped me, it would have been a different story.

Were you tortured?

No, but they threatened me and forced me to make a statement and admit that I was a kidnapper. But my brother, who is a civil servant at the state fire service, was beaten till he was almost unconscious, even after he showed them his identity card.

How many of you were kept where you were taken?

We were two in the vehicle – a friend, Oge and I. We were arrested together.

What was the condition of the place?

It was under a mango tree at the station. They asked for the name of the primary and secondary schools I attended and other things, which I told them. I showed them my travelling papers and everything. Then they asked me to give them N10m and I asked them where they expected me to get N10m from and what offence I committed that attracted such an amount of money. After so much argument, they reduced it to N500,000, saying it was for my bail and that I should transfer the amount to them.

Were your relations notified?

In the process, I managed to call my girlfriend and explained what I was going through to her. She was the one who contacted the human rights activist who rescued me from the hands of the IGP X-Squad. She said the activist had helped many people who were unjustly arrested by the police.

So what happened after they demanded the money?

My brother came and tried to plead with them. He showed his ID as a fire service official, thinking that they would listen to him. They asked him to stay aside and give them some room. After some hours, my brother went back to them to continue to plead; that was when they started beating him.

Did you give them any money?

No, I didn’t give them anything because the activist got involved in the matter. When they came, the police refused to talk to them and the man (activist) started making calls.

So why were you released?

The activist said the Commissioner of Police in the state, Hafiz Inuwa, directed that I should be released without paying money.

What can you say about the attitude and conduct of the policemen who arrested you?

Oh! If I had the opportunity, I would say a lot. The attitude of the policemen was even worse than what I would expect from kidnappers. What they did was evil; it was wickedness at the highest level. They are supposed to protect us, not extort money from us. There is no difference between the policemen and kidnappers. How could you accost someone on the road because he was driving what you called a ‘big’ car? What they are doing in Nigeria is not good. This is not how police behave in other countries. In Nigeria, they say the police are your friend but from what I see in Nigeria, I can’t call such people my friends. When they see a young guy driving, they start humiliating and extorting money from him. This is not the best way to police the area.

So, are you against having police checkpoints?

No, I am not against it. But it should be conducted professionally and they should respect people’s rights. When they stop someone and find something incriminating on the person, the person should answer for it but they should not be forcing people at gunpoint to say they did what they did not do or demanding money from members of the public. If after searching people, nothing incriminating is found on them, they should be allowed to go their way. They searched my car and even looked through my phone and they did not find anything incriminating, then they should have allowed me go.

https://punchng.com/for-driving-big-car-igp-x-squad-arrested-me-demanded-n10m-odiakaose-poland-based-nigerian/
Not true,
Bros, it just come to force CID area 10 Abuja, Bro, I can tell you those animals would go for it, but I know , you just lied to give Nigeria bad name and police.

1 Like

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Coldie(m): 8:50am On Mar 21, 2020
Esseite:

U never jam... Especially when the police is out to take money from u by any means.

If not that the man had connections, his family would have paid that money. This is what a lot of poor people go through in this country, u are already poor and struggling to survive police would arrest u unjustly, especially on a Friday that they are looking for money to go and flex with before u know it they ask your family to bail you for doing no crime. Before u know it ur only family land is been sold to bail u.

Putting your family into hardship. Then imagine what u would do, if u were already poor, now police just drove your family into hardship

25 Likes

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Coldie(m): 8:51am On Mar 21, 2020
Exmilitant:
Not making a case for the cops, but your first response to them matters a lot. some of these abroad base returnees are very arrogant and mannerless. He looks it from the pics.
No manner of approach justifies illegal arrest for no crime and asking you for 500k bail.

Nigerian police force are the chief drivers of insecurity in Nigeria, over and over again things like this has been reported and the police chiefs do nothing

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by OakConsultNG: 9:50am On Mar 21, 2020
Interesting.. seems the police have no internal control department or their image means nothing to them.

Meanwhile, Register your Business, Church and Company with the CAC at discounted prices. Obtain your TIN. Check our signature and page for more details.

Offer lasts for a limited period only.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by YovvInteriors(m): 9:50am On Mar 21, 2020
Not too fair though..

Check my signature
Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by DuBLINGreenb(m): 9:51am On Mar 21, 2020
Ijgb welcome
Next time don't tell people you just got back from Poland without them asking or make them feel you are rich for no reason.

These does not in any way justify the action of the police but still it'll help you life longer and avoid unnecessary problems

1 Like

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Xcelinteriors(f): 9:51am On Mar 21, 2020
I have beautiful designs of wallpaper and window blind. Check my signature

1 Like

Re: Harry Odiakaose: I Was Arrested By IGP X-squad, Who Demanded N10m by Ravenna: 9:51am On Mar 21, 2020
The only stable state is the one in which all men are equal before the law.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Robbers Kill Aliu Sheu! White House, Restaurant, Yaba CEO Murdered / Abuja Big Babe Stabbed In The Private Part By Boyfriend For Refusing To Give N1M / Ritualist Den Discovered At Ile Zik, Lagos, Suspect Nabbed With An Iphone. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.