Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,000 members, 7,799,432 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? (2701 Views)

Archibong Bassey, UNICAL 19-Year-Old First Class Graduate Shares Success Story / Al-Ameen: Bayero University First Class Graduate Dies A Day After Graduation / Meet Zainab Bashir, First Class Graduate Of Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by gbolly1151(m): 10:46pm On Mar 21, 2020
Guys i need to be enlightened, my believe is that having first class give you an upper hand in the labor market and the matter of fact most school do retain their first class students but the rate at which people lament on difficulty in getting job is high.

Please let us know your situation as a first class graduate, are you doing the job that can feed you and your family?

Do you get your desire job?
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by LordIsaac(m): 11:03pm On Mar 21, 2020
Hmmmm... If by any chance you missed GA and you didn't secure a scholarship for overseas studies, then your chances are as good as anyone else.

5 Likes

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by darfay: 11:55pm On Mar 21, 2020
Let me do my youth service first!!

2 Likes

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by gbolly1151(m): 1:19am On Mar 22, 2020
darfay:
Let me do my youth service first!!

Ok keep us inform
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by gbolly1151(m): 1:20am On Mar 22, 2020
LordIsaac:
Hmmmm... If by any chance you missed GA and you didn't secure a scholarship for overseas studies, then your chances are as good as anyone else.
What is the meaning of GA?
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Nobody: 6:37am On Mar 22, 2020
LordIsaac:
Please, what is the meaning of GA
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Luketen(m): 7:20am On Mar 22, 2020
balqe:

Please, what is the meaning of GA
Graduate Assistant.
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Venerable612(m): 7:26am On Mar 22, 2020
LordIsaac:

That’s not entirely true.

@OP... having a First Class is awesome, but you mustn’t have a sense of entitlement.

There are lots of factors that come to play here.

1. Your course of study. So for instance if you had a first class in Law, you will most certainly get a Job (although, if you also make a First Class in the Law School your chances are higher).

The only problem is that you might not get the best paying jobs - because the best Nigerian law firms take a 2:1 - so the competition is fierce.

2. Many of the top paying jobs use Online Psychometric tests and Assessment Centres. This creates a level playing field for everyone - and sometimes you would discover those with First Class are unable to pass these tests.

In other words, your ability to pass those tests has nothing to do with your First Class Grade.

3. Many jobs as well come with connections and seizing opportunities. You will agree with me this has little to do with your grades and has more to do with who you know and how you exploit the relationships.

Truth is that - a First Class student may find it more difficult to get a job if he doesn’t enter the Street and maximise his opportunities.

Overall, the above is inexhausitve. It largely depends on the individual. Like I always say, LIfe is a personal journey. We have seen third class students do amazing things. The world doesn’t revolve around grades.

What your First Class does is increase your chances of getting an interview or an assessment. I leave you with the golden words of a Nairanlander below:

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by LordIsaac(m): 7:31am On Mar 22, 2020
gbolly1151:

What is the meaning of GA?
Graduate Assistant.
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Nobody: 9:47am On Mar 22, 2020
gbolly1151:
Guys i need to be enlightened, my believe is that having first class give you an upper hand in the labor market and the matter of fact most school do retain their first class students but the rate at which people lament on difficulty in getting job is high.

Please let us know your situation as a first class graduate, are you doing the job that can feed you and your family?

Do you get your desire job?

If you're truly smart with your first class, you should be able to create a job for yourself, if you can't find any. Just look at the whites and Asians. We need to start reasoning like them. Except maybe you studied a highly professional course like Medicine. You can create your desired job.

2 Likes

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Papacypaul(m): 11:20am On Mar 22, 2020
In 500lvl, Civil Engineering

Potential First Class, 4.48 GP.. I will like to have a construction company, but where is the Fund to start? , so i do like to secure a job with one of federal parastatals that pays well first.

1 Like

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by gbolly1151(m): 1:25pm On Mar 22, 2020
justnock:

If you're truly smart with your first class, you should be able to create a job for yourself, if you can't find any. Just look at the whites and Asians. We need to start reasoning like them. Except maybe you studied a highly professional course like Medicine. You can create your desired job.

This is actually what i think about this morning.... Seeing this coming again really means a lot to me thanks...if every first class graduate we have in this country can create job,it should be able to absorb huge unemployed and serious youth then the rate of unemployment can reduce.

In real sense, govt can't do everything for us. Most depend on govt work in which govt themselves aren't creating,except to sell out to private individuals
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Mar 22, 2020
gbolly1151:

This is actually what i think about this morning.... Seeing this coming again really means a lot to me thanks...if every first class graduate we have in this country can create job,it should be able to absorb huge unemployed and serious youth then the rate of unemployment can reduce.

In real sense, govt can't do everything for us. Most depend on govt work in which govt themselves aren't creating,except to sell out to private individuals
Cheers, mate.

1 Like

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Pato5(m): 2:49pm On Mar 22, 2020
gbolly1151:

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Pato5(m): 2:52pm On Mar 22, 2020
gbolly1151:

Creating jobs is beyond having good academic grades. Even those with poor grades end up owning businesses that employs graduates of good grades. What matters is your ability to identify gaps and problems and solving them with whatever resources you have at your disposal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by ednut1(m): 3:25pm On Mar 22, 2020
Papacypaul:
In 500lvl, Civil Engineering

Potential First Class, 4.48 GP.. I will like to have a construction company, but where is the Fund to start? , so i do like to secure a job with one of federal parastatals that pays well first.
sorry to burst your bubble na access bank or kpmg you go end up

1 Like

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by jesmond3945: 4:26pm On Mar 22, 2020
op the best bet for a first class is being a graduate assistant or getting a scholarship abroad or getting past the shortlisting stage for job tests thats all.

1 Like

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Pato5(m): 4:57pm On Mar 22, 2020
ednut1:
If only he knows
He has to have an open mind as long as Nigeria is concerned
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by gbolly1151(m): 5:01pm On Mar 22, 2020
Pato5:

Creating jobs is beyond having good academic grades. Even those with poor grades end up owning businesses that employs graduates of good grades. What matters is your ability to identify gaps and problems and solving them with whatever resources you have at your disposal

True...grade is out of content of creating job
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Papacypaul(m): 5:12pm On Mar 22, 2020
ednut1:
No Bro
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by gbolly1151(m): 10:43am On Mar 23, 2020
ednut1:

Lolz...he has the mindset of having construction company remember
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by ednut1(m): 10:52am On Mar 23, 2020
gbolly1151:

Lolz...he has the mindset of having construction company remember
when hunger wire you from lack of funding and contracts due to connections. You go soji

1 Like

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by gbolly1151(m): 12:47pm On Mar 23, 2020
ednut1:
when hunger wire you from lack of funding and contracts due to connections. You go soji

Think big,then Start small

To start such a construction company, i think this algorithm should work
1. Do well in your siwes program by creating connection as much as possible
2. Engage yourself with site workers
3. Hopefully, through step 2 ,you become supervisor of site with your level of education
4. Create big connection with new position in step 3
5. Start receiving small job,dont discriminate
6.Those small job will bring big job one day
7. Looking back,then you would have discover that your company has started long time ago, only your brand name hasn't been heard.

This take time...so don't be discourage

3 Likes

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Gerrard59(m): 5:52pm On Mar 23, 2020
justnock:

The notion that every first class graduate has to be an entrepreneur is at best moronic. All over the world, there are more employees than employers, why should Nigeria be different?

1 Like

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Gerrard59(m): 5:57pm On Mar 23, 2020
The main advantage a first class graduate has is the likelihood of being invited to write a test in almost every recruitment exercise. However, passing the test is independent of the first class grade. Another very important factor in getting a job is your age. In that, it's better to be 23 and have a second class upper than being a first class graduate at 29. The former will have more job opportunities than the latter unless for specific companies like Dufil and TGI who recruit only first class graduates at entry-level.

2 Likes

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Mar 23, 2020
Gerrard59:

The notion that every first class graduate has to be an entrepreneur is at best moronic. All over the world, there are more employees than employers, why should Nigeria be different?
Olodo. I said "if you can't find any." Re-read my response to him, before replying me like someone with itchy fingers.
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Beirut01: 8:16pm On Mar 23, 2020
Gerrard59:
The main advantage a first class graduate has is the likelihood of being invited to write a test in almost every recruitment exercise. However, passing the test is independent of the first class grade. Another very important factor in getting a job is your age. In that, it's better to be 23 and have a second class upper than being a first class graduate at 29. The former will have more job opportunities than the latter unless for specific companies like Dufil and TGI who recruit only first class graduates at entry-level.

What's TGI?
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by Gerrard59(m): 8:18pm On Mar 23, 2020
Beirut01:

What's TGI?

Tropical General Investment. Previously owned House of Chivita.
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by ednut1(m): 8:33pm On Mar 23, 2020
gbolly1151:

Think big,then Start small

To start such a construction company, i think this algorithm should work
1. Do well in your siwes program by creating connection as much as possible
2. Engage yourself with site workers
3. Hopefully, through step 2 ,you become supervisor of site with your level of education
4. Create big connection with new position in step 3
5. Start receiving small job,dont discriminate
6.Those small job will bring big job one day
7. Looking back,then you would have discover that your company has started long time ago, only your brand name hasn't been heard.

This take time...so don't be discourage
you watch too many movies

1 Like

Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by gbolly1151(m): 8:36pm On Mar 23, 2020
ednut1:
you watch too many movies
Why do you say so?
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by ednut1(m): 8:45pm On Mar 23, 2020
gbolly1151:

Why do you say so?
cos you day dream too much. No one regards any siwes student to the extent that you go get connection. Seem you dont know nigeria abi. Better focus on getting a job that can give you capital
Re: As A First Class Graduate,what Is Your Situation About Getting A Good Job? by gbolly1151(m): 8:51pm On Mar 23, 2020
ednut1:
cos you day dream too much. No one regards any siwes student to the extent that you go get connection. Seem you dont know nigeria abi. Better focus on getting a job that can give you capital

Lolz...if you development a good relationship with your boss,that is a connection bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

(hilarious) A 5 Yrs Old Boy Seen Teaching Unizik Students In The Class Room / #1.2m Nissan Armada 2004 Model 7 Seater SUV / Unilag Admission For Direct Entry Student (2010/2011)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.