Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus (1774 Views)

Buhari Urges Precaution, Not Fear Of Coronavirus Cases / Nigeria Well-equipped To Handle Cases Of Coronavirus, Says Lai Mohammed / Nigerians Angry Over The Treatment Of Corpers As INEC Ad-hoc Staff (videos, Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by maclatunji: 10:51am On Mar 22, 2020
A simple model of the degree of exposure that people infected with Covid-19 have had to other members of the public after majority arrived in Nigeria from countries with larger infection rates shows that there is high likelihood of underreporting of the number of infections of coronavirus in Nigeria -- this is true of other countries and the global count as well.

So far, officially as I write, no deaths from Covid-19 infection have been recorded in Nigeria. This begs the question: what are we doing right with treatment of the coronavirus that other countries aren't? Also, it is important to realise that the suspicion that some infected people have not been identified suggests that these people are somehow effectively treating the disease and avoiding becoming fatalities. Otherwise, an already panicked Nigerian public would have raised alarm over such deaths. This of course, is not helpful in curtailing the spread from person to person as an infected person can by asymptomatic (showing no symptoms of the disease).

However, we need to research, the drugs or remedies that Nigerians are using to manage this disease. There might be beneficial medicines, herbs or remedies that work in fighting it. We owe the world a duty to carry out detailed research and discover what is really the source of Nigeria's low death rate from coronavirus.

This could be our gift to the world during this global crisis and a great way to curtail its effects on our people, society and economy. Potential shutdowns of cities or the entire country could mean economic collapse of Nigeria that could end up killing more people than the coronavirus will directly.

I am aware that some people are against my line of reasoning, their argument is that there are no valuable trends in Nigeria to be observed and that as long as we try our best to prevent the disease with effective social mobilization and education, we should be fine. Some have even called for shutdowns as if those are tea parties without their own costs to people and government.

To me, while there are merits to some of these arguments, the suggestion that Nigerians cannot find a cure or show the world how to effectively treat the disease as a defeatist mentality and an exhibition of low self-esteem. Nigeria despite its numerous challenges is still a great country with humongous human and material resources. Gifting the world a cure to Covid-19 is not beyond us with the right attitude and mentality.

Source: http://opinions.ng/critical-missing-link-nigerias-coronavirus/

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by Krak(m): 10:58am On Mar 22, 2020
There is nothing critically missing. The reason is that we still have a micro number number of cases and the death rate is just about 3% or less.

Plus most people that die are either old people or people with critical underlying illneses.

Wait till we start having cases in hundreds(I hope not) then our eyes will clear.

NB: There is one death already, the American that brought it to Ekiti State died. I wonder why NCDC did not record it.

3 Likes

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by dimexy247(m): 10:58am On Mar 22, 2020
Well written
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by maclatunji: 11:01am On Mar 22, 2020
Krak:
There is nothing critically missing. The reason is that we still have a micro number number of cases and the death rate is just about 3% or less.

Plus most people that die are either old people or people with critical underlying illneses.

Wait till we start having cases in hundreds(I hope not) then our eyes will clear.

NB: There is one death already, the American that brought it to Ekiti State died. I wonder why NCDC did not record it.

I am not surprised LOL. Many have been programmed not to expect positive outcomes from Nigeria. Keep counting deaths you hear.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by GamalNasser: 11:11am On Mar 22, 2020
Stop saying there has been no death , the American that died in Ekiti died from Corona

4 Likes

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by Krak(m): 11:13am On Mar 22, 2020
maclatunji:

I am not surprised LOL. Many have been programmed not to expect positive outcomes from Nigeria. Keep counting deaths you hear.

Look at all these countries, they have more recorded cases than Nigeria, yet either no deaths or very few deaths, for now.

We better face the fact and not be complacent. Many Nigerians do not seem to know the enormity of what could be coming our way.

You see all these aged ones we so cherish in the towns and villages and even cities across Nigeria,their population could be decimated overnight.

The Italians were initially complacent, now they are paying the price. A thousand people dead daily is no joke.

Ours could be worse.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by maclatunji: 11:21am On Mar 22, 2020
GamalNasser:
Stop saying there has been no death , the American that died in Ekiti died from Corona

Your problem is lack of proper English comprehension. The only agency that is authorised to announce deaths from Coronavirus says no deaths.

So, a public commentator will start posting like a social media uncensored poster?

The write-up is not useful for people looking for negativity to peddle O. It is for people with depth of understanding to ask questions and seek answers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by maclatunji: 11:22am On Mar 22, 2020
Krak:

Look at all these countries, they have more recorded cases than Nigeria, yet either no deaths or very few deaths, for now.

We better face the fact and not be complacent. Many Nigerians do not seem to know the enormity of what could be coming our way.

You see all these aged ones we so cherish in the towns and villages and even cities across Nigeria,their population could be decimated overnight.

The Italians were initially complacent, now they are paying the price. A thousand people dead daily is no joke.

Ours could be worse.

Read the article again ... slowly. It addresses the point you are trying to make and goes beyond it.
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by GamalNasser: 11:23am On Mar 22, 2020
maclatunji:

Your problem is lack of proper English comprehension. The only agency that is authorised to announce deaths from Coronavirus says no deaths.

So, a public commentator will start posting like a social media uncensored poster?

The write-up is not useful for people looking for negativity to peddle O. It is for people with depth of understanding to ask questions and seek answers.

Oga the guy in Ekiti died of COVID whether you like it or not and pretending or lying about it Buhari govt style don't change the fact that he had Covid and even successfully transmitted it and the died in a Nigerian hospital

2 Likes

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by Krak(m): 11:26am On Mar 22, 2020
maclatunji:

Read the article again ... slowly. It addresses the point you are trying to make and goes beyond it.

Bro this disease could currently be spreading silently in Nigeria without much notice. Just as it happened in Italy and other countries.

Let us tighten our belts and try and fight either the coming deluge or hopefully the trickle of cases.

I hope for the later.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by GamalNasser: 11:28am On Mar 22, 2020
Well I wanted to keep quiet but I will help y'all out , COVID 19 needs the presence of a 5g signal to keep it's charge up and cause damage so people in cities or states that haven't launched 5g will have better rate of recovery ..I understand many of you might not be smart enough to process this but it is what it is .
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by Krak(m): 11:30am On Mar 22, 2020
maclatunji:

Then it means the body authourized to announce deaths is obviously lying. An index patient that infected others is dead and they are telling us no death.

Then what killed him, is it Amadioha? Or maybe the guy is sleeping and still snoring away on his bed.

1 Like

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by Gandollaar(f): 11:36am On Mar 22, 2020
GamalNasser:
Well I wanted to keep quiet but I will help y'all out , COVID 19 needs the presence of a 5g signal to keep it's charge up and cause damage so people in cities or states that haven't launched 5g will have better rate of recovery ..I understand many of you might not be smart enough to process this but it is what it is .
This makes sense but what is your source?
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by Gandollaar(f): 11:41am On Mar 22, 2020
@OP, don't rejoice yet.

I don't think the cases are underreported, rather we have just been lucky that many infected victims didn't come in to the country to easily trigger a large spread. If they did, what happened in China would be child's play.

As at when the health minister announced they were ready to combat the disease, there was nothing on ground to back up his claim. Only recently did we start seeing what state governments were doing and would do in the event of an emergency.
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by GamalNasser: 12:27pm On Mar 22, 2020
Gandollaar:
This makes sense but what is your source?

I have been doing my own little research trying to see what cities with high mortality and infection rate had in common and it was 5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFN5LUaqxOA

1 Like

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by maclatunji: 12:37pm On Mar 22, 2020
GamalNasser:

Oga the guy in Ekiti died of COVID whether you like it or not and pretending or lying about it Buhari govt style don't change the fact that he had Covid and even successfully transmitted it and the died in a Nigerian hospital

The point is this, the authorities say the test was inconclusive rather. Official death count for now is 0. That can change.

The article itself says low death rate. My friend your negativity won't change the message #LOL

Even if that case was positive, it means he came to Nigeria when he was almost dead. Cases observed in Nigeria or those not even identified somehow are surviving.

You guys are making a moot point.

1 Like

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by maclatunji: 12:39pm On Mar 22, 2020
Gandollaar:
@OP, don't rejoice yet.

I don't think the cases are underreported, rather we have just been lucky that many infected victims didn't come in to the country to easily trigger a large spread. If they did, what happened in China would be child's play.

As at when the health minister announced they were ready to combat the disease, there was nothing on ground to back up his claim. Only recently did we start seeing what state governments were doing and would do in the event of an emergency.

The article is not meant to "rejoice". Underreporting cases is a global phenomenon not only in Nigeria. No human set-up can match the efficiency of a virus spreading. What we can do is observe trends and learn from them.

1 Like

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by maclatunji: 12:40pm On Mar 22, 2020
Krak:

Then it means the body authourized to announce deaths is obviously lying. An index patient that infected others is dead and they are telling us no death.

Then what killed him, is it Amadioha? Or maybe the guy is sleeping and still snoring away on his bed.

It's science, you cannot report what you have not observed. It remains a suspected case until proven otherwise
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 22, 2020
What about the woman that died in Enugu?
Had the daughter not gone public with it, the govt will deny there was no infected individual in Enugu.
Even now from what I saw up there, the Nigerian govt still denied her case.

She was rejected in various govt hospitals until they took her to teaching hospital where she died. Daughter said the govt killed her as she was not taken care of. Look for the story and update on it here.

U guys should keep living in denial with some useless conspiracy theories.
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by Gandollaar(f): 12:49pm On Mar 22, 2020
GamalNasser:

I have been doing my own little research trying to see what cities with high mortality and infection rate had in common and it was 5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFN5LUaqxOA
Hah! Development brings its own cross.

1 Like

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by ivolt: 1:37pm On Mar 22, 2020
Another miracle writer!

This is what happens when you use forced logic to address a medical question.
You are neither equipped nor adequately trained to raise such question.
This isn't politics.

First, it was that coronavirus cannot infect Africans, then it was "blacks are immune to coronavirus".
The tune changed to "corona cannot spread in Nigeria due to weather".
Now that we have 22 cases, the speculation is that it does not kill Nigerians.

No country in the world ever developed by having things happen to them.
Every one of them actually took action and make sacrifices.

The average age of death due to Covid 19 in Italy is 78 years.
Go round your street and count the number of 78+ years there.

The overwhelming user of herbal drugs are rural dwellers and people of low financial means
who are less likely to be exposed to the virus in the first place due to their lifestyle and mobility.

If you have not been diagnosed with HIV, does it make sense to assume that you are immune?

Does it make sense to research the drugs you use in managing a disease that you don't even have?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by Krak(m): 2:17pm On Mar 22, 2020
maclatunji:

It's science, you cannot report what you have not observed. It remains a suspected case until proven otherwise

His case was suspected but it was confirmed he infected others. Hmm... check that logic yourself and see maybe it makes sense.
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by maclatunji: 4:28pm On Mar 22, 2020
sassysure:
Had the daughter not gone public with it, the govt will deny there was no infected individual in Enugu.

She was rejected in various govt hospitals until they took her to teaching hospital where she died. Daughter said the govt killed her as she was not taken care of. Look for the story and update on it here.

People die everyday. She tested negative for Coronavirus.
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by maclatunji: 4:30pm On Mar 22, 2020
Krak:

His case was suspected but it was confirmed he infected others. Hmm... check that logic yourself and see maybe it makes sense.

You are trying to prove to be clever but if you carefully read the article, you would see it has made the points that you are debating.

Official death toll: 0
Possible actual deaths: Low, despite possible large undocumented exposure to the virus.
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by helinues: 4:39pm On Mar 22, 2020
Na war oo
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by eyinjuege: 10:19pm On Mar 22, 2020
sassysure:

The woman in enugu tested negative to the virus. She died of other causes

1 Like

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by eyinjuege: 10:34pm On Mar 22, 2020
Majority of the deaths in Italy (the country with the highest deaths from the virus) are old people.
The life expectancy in Italy is 83 years , and the virus seems to be wiping their aged population. More deaths because they have older people there.
In Nigeria, average life expectancy is 53 years . Very far from the age group it is most fatal in.
Many people in Naija may catch it, but I doubt it will be fatal in most.
People should just follow advice. Avoid gatherings, our old people should isolate themselves and family should help them with supplies.
Wash hands regularly, avoid touching your face (thank God for the pancakes on most Naija women's faces, they've mastered the art of not touching their faces so makeup doesnt stain their hands even long before the Corona hit) cheesy.
Isolate yourself from others if you have a cold, cough, fever or even flu like symptoms of malaria.
No more owambes or religious gatherings.
Let us just follow general advice and majority will be fine

2 Likes

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by Nobody: 10:36pm On Mar 22, 2020
eyinjuege:

The woman in enugu tested negative to the virus. She died of other causes
Lets hope so.
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by ayukdaboss(m): 12:07am On Mar 23, 2020
maclatunji:

You’re right it does, I’m not sure he finished reading that intelligent post, he’s eager to belittle his country
Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by ayukdaboss(m): 12:13am On Mar 23, 2020
sassysure:

What woman? Did you follow that story at all? How can you just sit in your house without any personal access to information from the hospital she was admitted at, and cook up your own stories?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by maclatunji: 12:55am On Mar 23, 2020
ayukdaboss:

What woman? Did you follow that story at all? How can you just sit in your house without any personal access to information from the hospital she was admitted at, and cook up your own stories?

LOL, some people are funny, they just must counter issues.

1 Like

Re: The Critical Missing Link In Nigeria's Treatment Of Coronavirus by Nobody: 11:25am On Mar 23, 2020
ayukdaboss:

Shut up.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Will Name ‘warri Rail Station’ After Goodluck Jonathan – Amaechi / Senator Dino Melaye Shares Photo Of His Beautiful Family / You Begged Tinubu To Help You In Edo, Lagos APC Chair Tells Obaseki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.