Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

COVID-19 And The Role Of The Media in Spreading Panic - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID-19 And The Role Of The Media in Spreading Panic (344 Views)

A Deadly Influenza Virus Is Spreading Across America, 15 Million People Infected / Muslims Panic After Thousands Of Black Insects Invade Mecca / Help. The Vitiligo Spreading On My Lips Is Making Me Suicidal (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19 And The Role Of The Media in Spreading Panic by RentedReality(m): 2:21pm On Mar 22, 2020
Happy Mothers day to the beautiful mothers on Nairaland! Our children deserved to be raised in truth which is why I wrote this

Firstly, I want to clearly state that Covid-19 is real and Government advice on the situation should be adhered

That said

Can we Nigerians please stop sensationalising Covid-19 news as it is causing more harm than good?

The other day we read here how people in some states were overdosing on Choloroquine, that is what sensationalising news causes - fear mongering and mass panic. Also, some 70 year old lady in Enugu died of neglect at a dysfunctional isolation centre and this was because she was falsely diagnosed with Covid-19. She didn't deserve to leave this earth like that, haba

You and I were not there when advanced nations were eating fruit that has been so genetically modified, that it has less than 5% nutritional content of the natural version of itself. You were not there when they were eating beef from cow that has never eaten grass. You didn't think this unnatural eating could lead to weakened immune systems, but we are here crying louder than the bereaved and have also joined in their "national emergency measures", in a country of 200 million where a death from Covid-19 is yet to be reported

In reality, with zero deaths recorded your chances to contract anything related to Covid-19 is 1-in-200 million, I'll write it again in words in case you missed it - one-in-two hundred million, those are your chances. So for those odds, you are ready to shut yourself down when you don't have the holding out capacity the big boys have, you can't give out $1,000 per Nigerian like the US is thinking, but you can work yourself into a mass panic that is causing people to die from fear than of the virus itself, how does that help us?

Listen, don't join to push a narrative that was not written for you. This Covid-19 narrative is for advanced nations that have peaked in powers and even in their human capital, if not why are your siblings migrating to Canada to replenish their ageing population? Some of these countries have reached the peak of their growth curve and nature intends to flatten that curve. Over centuries of prosperity, they have accumulated enough resources to see them through this "Mediademic" sorry pandemic  , we haven't even gone through our industrial age, yet I'm reading some Nigerians calling for us to stay at home. At home for what? if Nigeria fully partakes in same measures with US, Italy and co., how long will it take us to recover financially? At least 3 years, and in that time your landlord will not pause your rent and neither will they pause the loan you are repaying. 

Let's be honest, this shows the extent social media can influence behaviour, and also people's gullibility. Especially when they add to your fear by advertising the virus with celebrities, mixed with pics of politicians elbow shaking

Let me tell what the media is not telling you, organisations, especially organisations with global operations are using this narrative to shed their staff strength and they'll do this mostly through migration of their physical resources online. This increased tilt to automation and technology will lead to more redundancies and lay-offs in the coming 3  - 6 months, just watch. If your workplace is going on lock down, ask your HR what will happen to all the fixed term staff in 3 months if lock down continues. Digitisation is one of the narratives as you will increasingly start seeing more acceptance of remote / home working and over reliance on digital work platforms.

Can you see the dangers of this narrative we are also pushing? For a virus that can never claim up to 9 lives here in Nigeria, is it really worth the fear you are propagating? Tuberculosis and HIV are killing Nigerians in the thousands yet you didn't stop your economy to eradicate it, but you can fear monger to a flu with no recorded deaths in a country where we eat Okpa for breakfast. The kids lying sick with TB in hospitals around Nigeria, I wonder how proud they are of your new social consciousness   especially as this attention is going to bring them support

Mothers are now not hugging kids because social media tells them so. But they were hugging these kids when we had Ebola and Lassa fever.

As we celebrate today, the mothers from whom we journeyed to this existence through, I'll like you to reflect on this, that - the Covid-19 mediademic, I mean pandemic, will only end when it is no longer headline news. It's just a matter of time before another Coza, Evans, Abba Kyari news etc. starts dominating social discussions. By then, the shift would have already happened and you would never know the role you played in influencing your new world.

But for now, I'll join the millions of other ignorant Nigerians who will be going out today, shaking hands, hugging and working productively so those gripped with fear at home, can have what to eat when they are typing up their socially conscious advice on social distancing and leg shaking

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 And The Role Of The Media in Spreading Panic by Yenefer(f): 2:23pm On Mar 22, 2020
Tell them I'm fighting this since February, So many chicken littles out here......Calm down. The vast (VAST) majority get over this.....many barely have symptoms. Yes it should be taken seriously. But the hysteria is worse than the disease. Stop the enfodemic

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 And The Role Of The Media in Spreading Panic by RentedReality(m): 2:26pm On Mar 22, 2020
Yenefer:
Tell them I'm fighting this since February, So many chicken littles out here......Calm down. The vast (VAST) majority get over this.....many barely have symptoms. Yes it should be taken seriously. But the hysteria is worse than the disease. Stop the enfodemic

Thank you so much!

People are out there paralyzing themselves with unnecessary fear

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 And The Role Of The Media in Spreading Panic by Jakumo(m): 5:49pm On Mar 22, 2020
In Nigeria as of today, March 22nd 2020, the odds of dying from malaria, typhoid, AIDS, kidney failure or Sgt. Dongoyaro's "accidentally" fired shot, remain significantly GREATER than the odds of contracting and then succumbing to the Corona virus, all the current media hysteria notwithstanding.

That said, and supposing for the sake of argument that the current high seasonal heat effectively prevents mass transmission of the Cocona Virus in the planet's tropical belt that encompasses West Africa, Central South America and several Caribbean island nations, one cannot help but dwell on the question of whether or not the onset of the cooler tropical rainy season months running between early April to late July 2020, will influence the virulence, prevalence and mortality rate of the contagion in the tropical areas that are as yet unscathed, one way or the other.

Since the mathematical equation that correlates observed spread and infection severity of the Corona virus as a function of ambient temperature, can only be derived from statistical data that accrues over the coming critical months ahead in 2020, it is for now simply impossible to predict whether or not West Africa and Central America have dodged the bullet, or are simply running blind on borrowed time as a slow fuse burns, set to ignite a mutative resurgence of the Corona pandemic in Africa, as the seasons change from warm to cooler by April 2020.

Hedging one's bets, therefore, might take the form of stockpiling non-perishable food items in bulk at home, just in case markets and stores are ordered shut on short notice, along with reducing as much as possible all non-essential contact with people, while certainly also stockpiling more ammunition for all legal gun owners, as a deterrent to looters that unfailingly materialize wherever anarchy looms. With a few preparatory measures implemented even at this late hour, one can be greatly increase the odds of being among the proverbial "last men and women standing" when the smoke clears, as it were, and in a manner of speaking.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 And The Role Of The Media in Spreading Panic by RentedReality(m): 7:05pm On Mar 22, 2020
Jakumo:
In Nigeria as of today, March 22nd 2020, the odds of dying from malaria, typhoid, AIDS, kidney failure or Sgt. Dongoyaro's "accidentally" fired shot, remain significantly GREATER than the odds of contracting and then succumbing to the Corona virus, all the current media hysteria notwithstanding.

That said, and supposing for the sake of argument that the current high seasonal heat effectively prevents mass transmission of the Cocona Virus in the planet's tropical belt that encompasses West Africa, Central South America and several Caribbean island nations, one cannot help but dwell on the question of whether or not the onset of the cooler tropical rainy season months running between early April to late July 2020, will influence the virulence, prevalence and mortality rate of the contagion in the tropical areas that are as yet unscathed, one way or the other.

Since the mathematical equation that correlates observed spread and infection severity of the Corona virus as a function of ambient temperature, can only be derived from statistical data that accrues over the coming critical months ahead in 2020, it is for now simply impossible to predict whether or not West Africa and Central America have dodged the bullet, or are simply running blind on borrowed time as a slow fuse burns, set to ignite a mutative resurgence of the Corona pandemic in Africa, as the seasons change from warm to cooler by April 2020.

Hedging one's bets, therefore, might take the form of stockpiling non-perishable food items in bulk at home, just in case markets and stores are ordered shut on short notice, along with reducing as much as possible all non-essential contact with people, while certainly also stockpiling more ammunition for all legal gun owners, as a deterrent to looters that unfailingly materialize wherever anarchy looms. With a few preparatory measures implemented even at this late hour, one can be greatly increase the odds of being among the proverbial "last men and women standing" when the smoke clears, as it were, and in a manner of speaking.

Preparing for the end grin

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 And The Role Of The Media in Spreading Panic by Jakumo(m): 7:34pm On Mar 22, 2020
RentedReality:

Preparing for the end grin

Na so my broda. While some plan how to protect their food supply, others plan how to steal food from those who have it, by all means possible.

(1) (Reply)

Will The Coronavirus Ever Go Away? Read WHO Top Experts Thought / Senegal: 10-minute Coronavirus Test May Be On Its Way - For $1 / Coronavirus: COMPLETED 110 Bed Isolation Center Built By Gtbank In Lagos [video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.