Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,093 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria (4098 Views)

Fighting Breaks Out At Abuja IDP Camp / Violence Breaks Out At APC Headquarters In Abuja / Riot Breaks Out In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by koruji(m): 4:10am On Dec 27, 2010

JOS, NIGERIA – Clashes broke out yesterday between armed Christian and Muslim groups near the central Nigerian city of Jos.

Buildings were set ablaze and people were seen running for cover as the police and military arrived on the scene in an effort to disperse crowds.

The unrest was triggered by explosions on Christmas Eve in villages near Jos, capital of Plateau state, that killed at least 32 people and left 74 critically injured.

The Red Cross said on Saturday it was not in a position to state the total number of deaths caused by the explosions but confirmed that 95 people were seriously injured in hospital.

Vice-President Namadi Sambo was due to travel to Jos yesterday.

The unrest has come at a difficult time for President Goodluck Jonathan, who is running a controversial campaign ahead of the ruling party’s primaries on January 13th.

A ruling party pact says that power within the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) should rotate between the mostly Muslim north and largely Christian south every two terms.

Mr Jonathan is a southerner who inherited office when president Umaru Yar’Adua, a northerner, died during his first term this year and some northern factions in the ruling party are opposed to his candidacy.

Mr Jonathan faces a challenge from former vice-president Atiku Abubakar for the ruling party nomination, and some fear any unrest in Africa’s most populous nation will be exploited by rivals during campaigning.

The governor of Plateau state has said the bombings were politically motivated terrorism, aimed at pitting Christians against Muslims to start another round of violence.

Christians, Muslims and animists from a patchwork of ethnic groups live peacefully side by side in most Nigerian cities.

But hundreds of people died in religious and ethnic clashes at the start of the year in the central Middle Belt and there are fears that politicians could try to stoke such rivalries as the elections approach.

The tensions are rooted in decades of resentment between indigenous groups, mostly Christian or animist, who are vying for control of fertile farmlands and for economic and political power with mostly Muslim migrants and settlers from the north.

The African Union (AU) on Saturday released a statement condemning the Christmas Eve bombings and offered its condolences to the families of those who have died.

“[The AU] reaffirms the determination of the African Union to combat terrorism and to continue to support the efforts being deployed by member states in this respect.” – (Reuters)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2010/1227/1224286314946.html
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by gbengress1: 12:56pm On Dec 27, 2010
May God save us in this country
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by namdo(m): 1:31pm On Dec 27, 2010
these mallams again. when would peace come to these areas?
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by banom(m): 1:45pm On Dec 27, 2010
JOS, NIGERIA – Clashes broke out yesterday between armed Christian and Muslim groups near the central Nigerian city of Jos.

Buildings were set ablaze and people were seen running for cover as the police and military arrived on the scene in an effort to disperse crowds.

The unrest has come at a difficult time for President Goodluck Jonathan, who is running a controversial campaign ahead of the ruling party’s primaries on January 13th.

A ruling party pact says that power within the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) should rotate between the mostly Muslim north and largely Christian south every two terms.

Mr Jonathan is a southerner who inherited office when president Umaru Yar’Adua, a northerner, died during his first term this year and some northern factions in the ruling party are opposed to his candidacy.

Mr Jonathan faces a challenge from former vice-president Atiku Abubakar for the ruling party nomination, and some fear any unrest in Africa’s most populous nation will be exploited by rivals during campaigning.

Guess what ? i sense a game both in the unfortunate Christmas eve event and in this article.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by Dno1gurl(f): 1:55pm On Dec 27, 2010
This Jos wahala don tire me sef, ahah?
Because Christians dey celebrate Christmas they won use that won kill Christians abi,when they're supposed to be enjoying. When they dey celebrate their sallah nobody touch them oooo. Me i don tire 4 this country angry angry
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by spearman(m): 2:19pm On Dec 27, 2010
Too much is made of this animist thing. Are there still any animist left in born again Nigeria?
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by anonimi: 2:21pm On Dec 27, 2010
Chase the Hooligans-in-Power (HiPs) out and vote in better candidates.

Remember to RSVP -

Register;
Select and sponsor(your candidates);
Vote;
Protect your votes;

Let this be our motto for this election period.
Copy and text the motto to as many as possible on your GSM (and/or email) and several times during the voter registration period.
One Man, One Vote!!!
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by philipojo: 2:23pm On Dec 27, 2010
Father in Heaven forgive us our sins and have mercy on our land, haba not again
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by Barkono: 2:38pm On Dec 27, 2010
these mallams again. when would peace come to these areas?

mallams have naaatin to do wit it, bro.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by Ranoscky(m): 4:09pm On Dec 27, 2010
God help Nigeria.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by nethacker(m): 4:35pm On Dec 27, 2010
and up till this moment,nothing has been done? shocked shocked
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by Winnerslfc(m): 5:05pm On Dec 27, 2010
It appears Nigerians are practically confused, we don't know what to think again. Is this Jos violence a religious one or was it politically motivated?
It is very obvious that most hausas are trouble makers. They had their salah whatever without problems but now, they think we should'nt celebrate Christmas without troubles. WHAT A DUMB IDEOLOGY. They make me want to think that Islam Is synonymous to trouble, violence, killings and wickedness.
I MUST ALSO SAY THAT THE WRITER OF THE ARTICLE ABOVE, IS A BIG AND EMPTY CARTON FOR DRAGGING GEJ's POLITICAL FUTURE INTO IT.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by Yeneks(f): 6:45pm On Dec 27, 2010
And old things shall pass away, except in Nigeria. I'm tired of seeing this every time!
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by rasputinn(m): 7:05pm On Dec 27, 2010
No biggie.The christmas eve bombings were an unfortunate shame,but the sponsors will get no cigars;there aim will not be achieved
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by Donmeca(m): 7:21pm On Dec 27, 2010
One united Nigeria made up of pieces of disintegrated states. . . ethnic and religious violence in Plateau, Borno, Taraba, Benue, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi, etc. This latest Christmas gift shud serve as a buttress of d point that Nigeria is haggardly kept together by the greed (of d ruling class for power and money) not love (of the citizens for one another). Nigeria is not and can never be one peaceful country if we don't change our orientation.

Better still, I wud prefer to be part of a very poor country called Enugu Republic than die untimely in a rich for nothing country called Nigeria as a Nigerian.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by Olumogun: 8:03pm On Dec 27, 2010
what a bad way to end the year.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by Harus(m): 8:28pm On Dec 27, 2010
The governor of Plateau state has said the bombings were politically motivated terrorism, aimed at pitting Christians against Muslims to start another round of violence.

D state governor said the above quoted sentence, but yet some FOOLS on this tread are still attributing it to RELIGIOUS. What a DAFT?
Somebody is sitting on a computer at home, outside JOS, claiming he knows better than even the governor of the state (a christain).
Illiteracy/ignorant are getting too much in this country.

Anybody (Muslim or Christain or Animist) can do this criminal act.

Or are u a slowpoke?
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by snowdrops(m): 8:38pm On Dec 27, 2010
Harus:

D state governor said the above quoted sentence, but yet some FOOLS on this tread are still attributing it to RELIGIOUS. What a DAFT?
Somebody is sitting on a computer at home, outside JOS, claiming he knows better than even the governor of the state (a christain).
Illiteracy/ignorant are getting too much in this country.

Anybody (Muslim or Christain or Animist) can do this criminal act.

Or are u a not-so-smart person?
And you sit at home in front of your computer believing the governor is being honest with his statement to the media.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by AloyEmeka8: 8:54pm On Dec 27, 2010
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by comechop(m): 10:37pm On Dec 27, 2010
How many threads do we need for this?
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by ebor(m): 1:16am On Dec 28, 2010
angry angry angry
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by ndukwejoe(m): 4:02am On Dec 28, 2010
this jos thing . is been treated with kid glove. what is the security doing? who is their sponsor? so far nobody has been prosecuted , does it mean these people are faceless. i smell rat. as you know it is not the first time.

long live nigeria.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by txh(m): 8:38am On Dec 28, 2010
the end is near.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by oge4real(f): 8:51am On Dec 28, 2010
This is very very sad. So bombing has really come to stay in Nigeria? soon they will graduate into sucide attacks, then the elites will all vacate the country with their families leaving the common man to die.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by txh(m): 8:54am On Dec 28, 2010
honestly, honestly, honestly. I think everyone should leave Nigeria for their own safety. Moving to the neighboring Ghana is even a good idea (no visa required). It's funny how a country can change drastically in such a short period of time.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by modskiller(m): 9:51am On Dec 28, 2010
this country is shiity
our leaders aour shiity
theses mallam guys are shiity
even our futures are shitty
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by Ranoscky(m): 9:59am On Dec 28, 2010
Aloy-Emeka, pls, kindly remove that pix abeg, it's an eye soar, k?. . .Thanks for your understandin!

txh:

honestly, honestly, honestly. I think everyone should leave Nigeria for their own safety. Moving to the neighboring Ghana is even a good idea (no visa required). It's funny how a country can change drastically in such a short period of time.
And you think that is the best solution/idea to put the problems we'r facin in Nigeria right now to rest?
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by goggs(m): 10:40am On Dec 28, 2010
an islamic group claims responsibility. Check www.thisdayonline.com
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by Nobody: 12:41pm On Dec 28, 2010
One united Nigeria made up of pieces of disintegrated states. . . ethnic and religious violence in Plateau, Borno, Taraba, Benue, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi, etc. This latest Christmas gift shud serve as a buttress of d point that Nigeria is haggardly kept together by the greed (of d ruling class for power and money) not love (of the citizens for one another). Nigeria is not and can never be one peaceful country if we don't change our orientation.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH U MY BROTHER

I am a serving corp member in Niger State-Kainji precisely. The religious intolerance in the north has always been there, it is not peculiar to Jos. To buttress my point.

One day, very recently, some youths in the town made mark on almost all churches in the Town ( New Bussa-a local govt headquarter) with the inscription: "DO NOT WORSHIP OR ELSE!". A bloody riout that ealier occured in the town was linked to protest by the muslim youths that churches were beginning to outnumbered the mosques in the town. What a religious intolerance!

Also, a christian teacher purnished a student for an offence in the school where i serve. While i was sleeping the next day in Coper's lodge, i began to hear mob of students chanting "ALAHU AKBAR". I peeped through my window to know what was happening. To my surprise, the building where the teacher resides was being vandalised amidst chanting of "ALLAU AKBAR". It was God that saved the man that day. Even the ladies threw away their Rijab to participate in the destruction.

Now- answer the question. ARE WE REALLY ONE NIGERIA?
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by tpia1: 12:44pm On Dec 28, 2010
Even the ladies threw away their Rijab to participate in the destruction.

strange.
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by monkeyleg: 12:53pm On Dec 28, 2010
Until we accept that we are not one country, we wont move forward. Divide the stupid country into north and south
Re: Ethnic Violence Breaks Out In Central Nigeria by MaiSuya(m): 12:59pm On Dec 28, 2010
Oh dear! not again! cry cry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gov. Aregbesola Prevented Flood Disaster In Osun - Acn / What Makes Lagos A Model City - Newyork Times / Pres.jonathan Usual Pose At Bomb Scene(picture),is This A Sign Of Cluelessness?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.