Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,873 members, 7,802,808 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

Ban On Street Football By NFF: Nigerians React - PUNCH Newspapers - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ban On Street Football By NFF: Nigerians React - PUNCH Newspapers (615 Views)

Super Eagles List For Friendlies With Tunisia & Ivory Coast Released By NFF / 6 African Players That Had The Most Impact On World Football - by Naptu2 / Libya Team Arrive Uyo Stadium After Rejecting Hotel Provided By NFF. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ban On Street Football By NFF: Nigerians React - PUNCH Newspapers by Nobody: 1:48pm On Mar 23, 2020
Background;
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) late Wednesday in Abuja announced the cessation of all forms of football activities in the country for the next four weeks.

Ademola Olajire, the NFF Director of Communications, in a statement said the shutdown was “as a result of the global coronavirus pandemic’’.

He said the shutdown affected all on-field activities involving the various national teams, the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL), the other leagues, youth football programmes and “even street football’’

What is your own take?

’TOSIN OLUWALOWO speaks to Nigerians on the ban placed on street football by the Nigeria Football Federation due to the coronavirus outbreak

Is there an agency or any official to monitor this across the country? Left to me, I don’t think such ban can stand unlike major football activities monitored by the federation.

–Olufemi Damilola, fresh graduate

Funny that a country without 24-hour electricity wants to keep young people indoors. Well, it might not work. But I think it will be reasonable on the part of young people to keep themselves safe, either by playing in fewer numbers like five-a-side and avoid unnecessary crowding.

–Gbenga Oni, consultant

I don’t think the street football ban will stand. People are scared of the disease but it is obvious we miss the sport.

–Raphael Abiola, analyst

There is also a lot of body contact in street football. Yes, it will hold if well publicised. If every media channel is used to publicise the ban, with its reasons, parent would ensure its enforcement on their kids.

– Aanuoluwapo Baba-Onoja, data scientist

The NFF ban on all football activities in the country is a good initiative because it is aimed at curbing the spread of COVID-19. But the major concern is if the ban will be effective on street football as there are no laid down measures of enforcing the ban by the NFF. Thus, it may not be fully complied with, except a means of enforcement is put in place.

–Akintayo Ayodele, businessman

The ban might not stand since there is no regulatory body to manage it. The police won’t be able to go from street to street to stop people from playing football.

–Wale Jayeoba, social worker

With people not going to work, schools and even churches again, they would be left with nothing else, except to create new ways of getting busy. Right now, in our estate, we are planning a community football competition since we are all home. I don’t know how the police will be able to stop us from enjoying ourselves.

–Fola Ibikunle, student

The ban at this time is good, in my opinion. All hands must be on deck to ensure that the spread of COVID-19 is stopped. However, I believe that this ban by the NFF won’t stand until the spread of coronavirus has gone critical in Nigeria, God forbid.

–Ayobami Oluyemi, public servant

https://punchng.com/street-football-ban-nigerians-react/

Lalasticlala
Seun

Re: Ban On Street Football By NFF: Nigerians React - PUNCH Newspapers by donbachi(m): 1:57pm On Mar 23, 2020
We always copy the western world when it has to do with our govt excercising their rights as a govt on her citizens..but they will never copy the side of a govt carrying out their duties on her citizens...dem 4 kukuma lock us inside our houses then go with d keys.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Street Football By NFF: Nigerians React - PUNCH Newspapers by OTayobami(m): 2:05pm On Mar 23, 2020
Chai! Dem wan take our small small 5 aside now wey we take dey console ourselves as EPL no dey.

Get in here if you are a football lover and say "God punish corona virus!"

Re: Ban On Street Football By NFF: Nigerians React - PUNCH Newspapers by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 23, 2020
Please o. Street football too sweet.
Re: Ban On Street Football By NFF: Nigerians React - PUNCH Newspapers by Elishadaniel285: 2:21pm On Mar 23, 2020
knw mind this people oo dem won dey copy US,ITALY,SPAIN and other country affected because of corona virus make we knw come play street football again nah lie oo he knw fit wrk
Re: Ban On Street Football By NFF: Nigerians React - PUNCH Newspapers by MorataFC: 4:59pm On Mar 23, 2020
Ban street football?
Never
Re: Ban On Street Football By NFF: Nigerians React - PUNCH Newspapers by Humphrizy(m): 5:32pm On Mar 23, 2020
Yawa dey ooh
Re: Ban On Street Football By NFF: Nigerians React - PUNCH Newspapers by thundafire: 8:48pm On Mar 23, 2020
If they cannot have a law for der stupid league na to ban street football der mouth big pass
Re: Ban On Street Football By NFF: Nigerians React - PUNCH Newspapers by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 24, 2020
Do NFF have the write to ban Street football
I don't think so how much are they paying me or when I sustain injuries will NFF pay for my hospital bills so they don't have the write

(1) (Reply)

Lionel Messi Is Renting A $ 15 Million Customized 16-seat Private Jet / Tweets That Proved Some Nigerians Are Jubilating Over Abba Kyari's Death / Here's Week 45 2020 Aussie Football Pool Results, Games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.