Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. (62048 Views)

Agnes Masogange Is Dead! Died Of Pneumonia And Low Blood Pressure / 'I Am Not Dead Yet' - Tiwa Savage Denies Rumors That She Died Of Heart Failure / Before & After Photo Of Famous Gay Who Died Of Anal Cancer Few Weeks Ago (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by playapayaski: 2:30pm On Mar 24, 2020
GidiWoodsMan:

God does not have to do anything, at least not unless he promised. And his promises are usually tied to a counter-obligation on the part of human beings.

As Nigerians we carry religion on our heads but we are arguably the most dishonest, the most hypocritical nation-group on earth. Since 1960, trillions of naira meant for health care, education & infrastructure have been continuously stolen by bible- and quoran-thumping politicians (with the active collaboration of regular citizens like you and me).

Nigeria as a nation has less than 500 respirators to a population of 150 million plus. It's now time to reap the fruits of sixty years of hypocrisy and greed, nobody can fōōl God or cajole him into action on their behalf, you will always reap whatever you sow!

Tell them o!!! Now there's trouble they remember god, useless sets of people sometimes.. Who will die will die with god or not, if they love god so much, this is actually an opportunity to meet him painlessly, contract d virus, repent genuinely, say d lords prayers n die in peace, NO.. THEY LOVE HIM BUT DON'T WANT TO GO and the 17k plus dead are not children of god, NONE OF THEM
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by felixation123(m): 2:44pm On Mar 24, 2020
fulaniHERDSman:
There is no legend in Africa. If there was, we won't still be groping in the dark.
Back in Nigeria ... All past and present politicians should be stripped of all National merit Awards. None deserves it, they all only looted and destroyed Nigeria to the useless extent we see today.

Well said worthy brother
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by jaszplus12(m): 2:48pm On Mar 24, 2020
naptu2:
I consider Manu Dibango to be one of the 4 great legends of African music. The others are Fela Anikulapo-Kuti of Nigeria, Hugh Masekela of South Africa and Miriam Makeba also of South Africa.

Manu Dibango's 1972 classic, Soul Makossa, was a worldwide hit and he won a Grammy Award for it.

Michael Jackson stole a portion of the song for his hit "Startin Something" and Dibango sued him, but the matter was settled out of court. Michael Jackson then granted Rihanna the right to use that portion of the song in her hit, "Please Don't Stop The Music" and Dibango sued both Michael and Rihanna.

He has been based in Paris, France since at least the 1970s.

Manu Dibango - Soul Makossa (1972).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0CeFX6E2yI
I wanted to comment but yours is enough! I'm in a bus heading to Kumasi right now...and listening to his songs then I saw this news!!! Shocked!!
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by blowjohn(m): 3:28pm On Mar 24, 2020
naptu2:

Lucky Dube is great but he doesn't even come close to these legends. They paved the way for people like Lucky Dube.

For me, no african artist comes close lyrically or sonically to lucky dube
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by naptu2: 4:13pm On Mar 24, 2020
Soul Makossa was sampled by an incredible number of artistes, including Michael Jackson, Will Smith, Akon, Rihanna, etc. It was also used in a lot of movies.

Here it is being played on Soul Train in the 1970s

(Soul Train was probably the most influential music and dance show in the world in the 1970s and early 1980s).

Check out Don Cornelius' hair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVTNQ9VCtOI
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by afecgivers: 5:06pm On Mar 24, 2020
Please where are those men of God that usually receive direct phone call from God?
We need instruction on how to cure these dreaded disease or has their network failed?
If you have their names and phone numbers...please call them now!
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by shaw2(m): 5:15pm On Mar 24, 2020
crestedaguiyi:
corona is killing the wrong people in Africa

Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by mechanics(m): 5:18pm On Mar 24, 2020
naptu2:
I consider Manu Dibango to be one of the 4 great legends of African music. The others are Fela Anikulapo-Kuti of Nigeria, Hugh Masekela of South Africa and Miriam Makeba also of South Africa.

Manu Dibango's 1972 classic, Soul Makossa, was a worldwide hit and he won a Grammy Award for it.

Michael Jackson stole a portion of the song for his hit "Startin Something" and Dibango sued him, but the matter was settled out of court. Michael Jackson then granted Rihanna the right to use that portion of the song in her hit, "Please Don't Stop The Music" and Dibango sued both Michael and Rihanna.

Funny dance steps.
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by naptu2: 5:36pm On Mar 24, 2020
mechanics:
Funny dance steps.

Yeah.

That's not the official video for the song. Someone just decided to add a video of children in Africa to the song.
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by Modarun(m): 5:50pm On Mar 24, 2020
naptu2:

whizkid FC Aka pavedway movement won't like this post. They say Whizkid is the greatest artiste to have come out of Africa. Lol. These are they guys Kidjo sampled their songs o.
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by Demzlent(m): 6:35pm On Mar 24, 2020
Oh koh oh koh a dodo

rip legend,manu dibango
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by mechanics(m): 7:50pm On Mar 24, 2020
naptu2:

Yeah.

That's not the official video for the song. Someone just decided to add a video of children in Africa to the song.
Okay.
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by Oyindidi(f): 8:06pm On Mar 24, 2020
obontami:

Mtcheew!!!!!!!!
Check your WhatsApp
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by Horus(m): 8:13pm On Mar 24, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKY7GhnVcGg

​Manu Dibango New bell 1972
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by EdoPrince93(m): 8:17pm On Mar 24, 2020
HacheNoire1:
[s][/s]
Nice bro...very nice
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by naptu2: 8:38pm On Mar 24, 2020
I posted this some years ago and it's appropriate to post it again.

I've often heard people say that there was beef between Fela and Manu Dibango, but I've never seen evidence of it. Fela spoke highly of Manu Dibango when he was alive and Dibango also spoke highly of Fela.

(The only concrete thing that I've seen that points to any problem was when Seun Kuti was asked in the 2010s if he could work with Manu Dibango and he said that he respected Dibango but he was his father's rival, so he wouldn't work with him).

Anyway, Dibango was asked about Fela in this video and he said that he was good friends with Fela. He said that the president of the Ivory Coast asked him to manage an Ivorian TV station and that he left the US and went to live in Abidjan for 2 years. He said it was just an hour and a half from Abidjan to Lagos by air and he flew to Lagos every weekend to spend time with Fela at the Shrine.

He said that Fela was also a very good composer and if you listened to tracks like Lady you'd realise how good Fela was at composing music.

He said that the difference between him and Fela was that Fela was a politician and he didn't like to get involved in politics because politics is a messy business.

He said that he performed with Fela at concerts in Italy, Holland and around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeWlia17y24

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by chudionu58(f): 10:12pm On Mar 24, 2020
naptu2:

Has not even gotten nearly to their level.

Look at the people he mentioned below. These people are on the next level below Dibango, Masekela, Fela and Makeba.

Pioneers.Hmmmm, Without Francis Luambo? Haba na

These are the people that are on the next level.

Of all the people that you mentioned, only King Sunny Ade came close to having the kind of global impact that the 4 pioneers, Fela, Masekela, Makeba and Dibango had. Many of the people that you mentioned are not even known outside Nigeria.

I do agree that they are legends, but they are not at the level of the 4 pioneers.
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by 9jaRealist: 1:09am On Mar 25, 2020
RIP...
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by AyakaDunukofia: 10:45am On Mar 25, 2020
Even Fela Ransome Kuti respected and bowed for Manu Dibango.
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by Ironic: 1:52pm On Apr 19, 2020
shinarlaura:

Il etait tres bon. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Hy wink
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by shinarlaura(f): 2:03pm On Apr 19, 2020
Ironic:

Hy wink

Hi
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by Ironic: 2:14pm On Apr 19, 2020
Re: Manu Dibango Has Died Of Coronavirus. by shinarlaura(f): 3:16pm On Apr 19, 2020
Ironic:

18 lipsrsealed

18 what?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nollywood Chika Ike Flaunts Her Back side / "Buy Another Moto Jor" Fans Wants Efe To Get Another Car (Pics) / Davido Buys Iphone For Friends To Celebrate The Release Of Umarudeen Kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.