Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? (63140 Views)

Nadeem Anjarwalla: Kenyan Police Arrest Binance Executive Who Escaped Nigeria / How Wigwe’s Aide, Faleye Olushola, Escaped Death In Helicopter Crash / 7 Differences Between The Poor And The Rich (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by SenorFax(m): 6:55pm On Mar 25, 2020
DamonSalvatore:
My Story long.. But I no go expose myself for public forum
I am still poor..I've been starved for a whole day straight.. Just drinking water only.. I de stay with my Uncle... As i am now.. I have vowed not to get married or born.. Till I get enough money..
Imagine getting cov in a course because i no get 2k to buy book... Imagine not writing Ssce with my mates bcuz of 15..
People with rich parents don't know what God has done for them..

I won't bring a child into this world to come and suffer what i suffered.. ⅓ of what I've seen would kill some people

Long story short... My life is meaninglessness.. I'm just clowning Online to kill depression..
If I see anywhere wey i fit Sell my soul to give my parents and my younger bro and Sis Money to enjoy life forever... I'd do it.... All the ones have seen are demanding sacrifice.. I'm a half atheist anyways...So many prayers have gone unanswered that I have doubts about anybody up there
Nothing de to live for for this world... We are all gonna die anyways... It's just a matter of time..
Prayers still get answered, don't quit

10 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by vincentjk(m): 6:55pm On Mar 25, 2020
uvie66:
If Evans wasn't caught he would have said God picked up his call.

I know how everything happened oga
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Emma1630(m): 6:57pm On Mar 25, 2020
LET ME CHECKED BACK OOO

1 Like

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by DrChukki: 6:57pm On Mar 25, 2020
nonny1212:

How far bro? Reason me this copywriting.. I wan learn am..08164272477(incase u no wan drop ur number mk i call or whatsapp you)

I will WhatsApp you Bro...
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by heniford2: 6:57pm On Mar 25, 2020
My story can make you shared tears have not succeeded nor achieved anything but am still hustling and its not easy at all.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by shogsman(m): 6:58pm On Mar 25, 2020
illicit:
do you know that if every body that comment on this thread transfer 1k to my account. I will be richer than I am now.....
Why would we want to give you money?

1 Like

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by perryy(m): 6:58pm On Mar 25, 2020
Mine was rough , I mean rough. Though I still manage to have an HND, job wasn't forthcoming after school. So, I joined spring bank with my ND where I was on same salary for almost eight years . It was from hand to mouth , no savings nothing , nothing till one day I decided to start a business. Idea came from a stranger I know not. After that , another hurdle- money. Eventually, money came from unexpected source and business began in earnest. Within a year , I bought a car , and six months later I started my building project. Though I almost fell back into poverty again due to marital issues, but I'm glad where I am today. As we speak, I live in my own small but beautiful house , still doing business to which farming has just been added. I do hope and pray God says ashey to my hustle. It had not really been easy though God has a way of ameliorating my burdens. Praise jah.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Cmeo(m): 6:58pm On Mar 25, 2020
Mine was working as a causal work at a brewery while also running off-campus part time program of a polytechnic. I was saving most part of my wages to buy stocks/shares and also borrow from other co-casual workers to buy into stocks/shares from primary market while I was repaying them from my wages the stocks prices were appreciating in value. There after I was a paper distributor for stockwatch newspaper in Lagos and was reading and attending alot of seminars on stock markets. I left the brewery company immediately I finished my ND and moved to Lagos in order to be closer to a stockbroker and trade in secondary market. On getting to Lagos, I started short time buying and selling of shares/stocks and was able to make good profits from short time buying and selling of stocks with good fundamentals. I used the proceeds to register and setup a business and continue my HND education. I was one of the few that didn't lose money in the 2008 stock market crash because I did short time hold of stock and was making profits from the buying and selling. When stock market finally crashed, I moved into block making for construction projects and I explored the opportunity of getting a visa for training outside Nigeria immediately after completing my HND program and in preparation for the worst case scenario. I got USA visa and attended some training programs which exposed me to critical thinking and the explore the internet for lifetime opportunities. I came back to the country 3 weeks after and was ready to go for NYSC to gain more work experience that will make me ready for a new career. I influenced my NYSC posting to a place that I will learn management consultancy and earn token monthly payment so that I can change my line of business to it after service) instead of NASS, CBN or NNPC that was paying far better to Corp members that time.

My exposure to critical thinking and use internet in USA made me to understand and learnt management consultancy well within my service year. immediately after my service I got my company into the management consultancy together with some other business which brings garri sometimes with sugar (and sometimes without sugar) to the table.

23 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by illicit(m): 7:00pm On Mar 25, 2020
shogsman:
Why would we want to give you money?
is a simple experiment.... let's see how much I can rake in...
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Akalia(m): 7:00pm On Mar 25, 2020
The world is about to wind up. The last events that will mark the last phase of end time are fast unfolding.
2020 might likely be the last year in the last millennia of human existence and life on earth generally as we know it.

#Repent# #forsake*your*sins*#

5 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by SSam01: 7:00pm On Mar 25, 2020
we werent born poor but Mom didnt let Dad build a house in the city cos she wanted us to relocate back to the village once we were done with secondary school which never happened. Later dad passed on and mom wasnt doing anything reasonable to help matters.

We were living in a flooded dirty public compound where the landlords family threaten to demolish on a monthly basis...so i spent more time in friends houses but 2 of my friends embarrassed me by bringing my crush to come show our house what they didnt know was that if you live in such houses your sense of dodging is always very high so i saw them approaching and i disappeared and after that incidence i vowed to hustle like there is no tomorrow so i can end that embarrassment.

Long story short, I went to University, built a 4 bedroom apartment for my family, got a job and started a side hustle, bought 4 properties including a mortgage for duplex in lekki. Truth is that i still dont look like I have seen money cos I beleive more in investment rather than lavished lifestyle.

Hustled till i got a visa to the US and with kovik one 9 I will remain here till the coast is clear then start another level of hustle.

Those who mocked me cant even catch up with me today. They dont even have one property in their name and their parents house that made them feel they were better than me has been renovated to a point they now look like dwarf houses with over 20 coating of paints

I never missed church cos the sermons and prayers motivated me a lot. I love to read Isaiah 41 where God said " FEAR NOT...I WILL HELP YOU"

I pray and hustle God blesses the works of my hands and people call it jass grin

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by yusufu16: 7:00pm On Mar 25, 2020
I was raised in a family of 10. At a point I was sent home from my school because no money for school fees. I hawk murchiya (pardon me I don't know the name in English),

After my secondary I moved to Abuja to hustle. At a point I got a job in a business center where I was to be paid N4k a month as salary. But 4 months in the job I wasn't paid a dime as salary. How I survive, only God knows. One time I could no afford money to even eat. So my friend and I will go inside bush to go and pluck unriped guava just to survive for that day. Let me also add that I was sleeping inside in a saloon. I always sleep whenever the owner of the salon finishes for the day. I will spray a clothe on the floor to sleep, no pillow, no nothing inside the shop.

Time past, I gather small money which I used to go write JAMB. On the day of the JAMB, after the exam, I didn't have transport money to come back. I just went there, without even thinking how I am going to come back. So what I did was to beg one man who brought his children with his car. As God will have it, they were going close to where I live.

JAMB result came out I score 191. Hmm what do I say. Live goes on. To my greatest surprise I got admitted into ABU, Zaria with the result.

In the university I didn't have money for accommodation, so I had to squat with other students because I used my savings to pay for the school fees. While in the university, sometimes I go hustle outside campus just to get money to survive.

As time goes one, I was able to secured 2 scholarships which has helped me complete my university and came out with 2.1.

Today I am a graduate, owned a car, and now i am into freelancing - website development and graphics design.

In all these I give God the glory and I am still hoping for better life ahead.

84 Likes 1 Share

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by MYHUBBY: 7:01pm On Mar 25, 2020
I was born in a poor home, I'm still poor but I'm not relaxing I will surely conquer and modify my story when God touches my helpers heart

I tasted poverty to a stage I don't want my enemy to experience, from secondary school to institution. it was a sad experience

my parents failed me,
my country failed me
family&friends failed me

but they will never be an excuse if I don't step up my game, don't do illegal, don't do Yahoo. unfortunately I lost my first gf to Yahoo guy, lost a lot of things and still find job go where a yahoo guy used his yahoo money established hotel. it was a regrettably situation to ever line behind legal for long in this country, I suffer for it and I'm still suffering for it

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by bjgurl(f): 7:01pm On Mar 25, 2020
Still looking up to God.
I need a great transformation

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by franchasng: 7:02pm On Mar 25, 2020
I won't call my family a poor family and neither will I call it a rich family, we were just there, my father tried his best in providing for us and seeing us through school and my mom, diamond mother, the best mother on earth did more than what I can explain in words to ensure I and my siblings succeeded in life. I can hardly remember my mother eating breakfast while growing up. I even thought it is normal for a mother not to eat breakfast but didn't know she was only trying to preserve the meals for it to reach us cry

She prayed, worked hard, starved, did all manner of businesses to support the family's income, and she never joked with men of God. Anything men of God, be it our own church or any church, she just loved sowing in the life of men of God and this I strongly believe paved way for me and my siblings.

We did farming, we did hawking, I and my siblings with the leadership of my mother did virtually everything human can do to survive. I just can't list them here.

Also I was homeless at a point in Lagos. I did a very undignified job after NYSC just to pull through.

But today, my family is like the pillar of our LGA you cannot ignore in any decision making kiss

Now back to the story.

Personally, I suffered a lot. Due to the fact that my dad was a federal civil servant and with the nature of his role, we moved from one state to another, even to remote villages, making me change school and friends like wrapper, and this also affected me emotionally and in many other ways.

Because of my number in the family, I was still in secondary school when my father retired so things turned so soar that I did so many things to survive. I helped my mother in all manner of businesses she did, of course she didn't have a defined business, she just ventured into any trending moving business at the time so this affected me academically, but thank God for his natural gift of intelligence which made it easy for me to grasp anything I read or glance my eyes on.

My elderly siblings were fortunate and made it big which helped relief the burden on my parents for a while before my elder bro married a bad woman who then succeeded in turning him away from the family and he stopped helping us and my parents were retired at this time.

With time some other siblings picked up and we forgot him.

After school and NYSC, I found it difficult to secure a good paying job which also inspired my in born desire to own a business of my own. So when I finally secured a job, I didn't rely on the job, I started a business by the side, an online business.

My advice to young Nigerian youths reading, please don't neglect the opportunities internet offers. I can boldly say that internet made me who I am today. Internet liberated me. God bless my elder brother that introduced internet and computer appreciation to me at early age.

I am forever indebted to him till I die.

I built my own very successful company through the internet. My company has taken me places that my degree and academic prowess could not take me. And this company I built and developed it from the internet and today it is growing steadily and employing people which makes me so proud in life that I can now employ people and pay them, God I bless you everyday!

To all the ladies reading, stop underrating your younger brother in-laws, stop maltreating them, most of them will end up richer than that your husband you feel is Aliko Dangote today. Help your in-laws, stop being a bad and wicked woman. Being good does not cost much. Stop looking down on any guy now, future is very Pregnant oh!!

My last advice again to youths, please take internet seriously. Stop scam, stop internet scam, it pays for the mean time but it can never give you a sustainable income and success.

Find a major societal problem today and find a way to use the internet solve that problem and be committed to it, don't give up, continue doing it and you will testify with time.

Internet is a major key to success of youths from poor family background all over the world. Government cannot change your life, internet will if you use it judiciously.

Learn to programme, learn to code, learn web designing while in school and be dedicated to it.

Learn JavaScript that programming language is amazing.

I am not rich yet but I am seeing light and I give all the glory to God.

Above all help others. Help others! Help people around you. Help your friends they are very vital oh, help them!! Keep good and quality friends very important to your growth more than your relatives!

Be honest in your dealings and build integrity so people can trust you with their money and business.

I wish you all the best.

67 Likes 8 Shares

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 25, 2020
sEGXY2:
How does one escape poverty in country like Nigeria where everything that is not you wants to kill your dream. If you grew up poor and somehow escaped poverty please kindly share your story lets learn.

I know we're currently amidst a severe pandemic but a lesson or two won't hurt anybody.
what do u mean? Do you mean to say someone cannot succeed in naija.as you think,that is how it's going to work for you.i won't say more than this.
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by shogsman(m): 7:03pm On Mar 25, 2020
Olayinka8793:
Well, I didn't only grew up poor, I also grew up disabled after suffering permanent hearing loss since I was a kid in primary school.
As painful as that hearing loss was, it was what pushes me to go and learn a trade in barbing since my hearing loss will be a great hindrance to my pursuit of higher education as there is no way I could have survived in conventional universities even though I managed to survived conventional high school up to SS2, and the other obvious choice which is a university for the deafs is not an option either as I never learned sign language.
long story short, I am a boss barber now with my own shop and two obedient apprentice.
By God's grace l am completely totally independent and out of poverty.
Doesn't sound so much like a big deal but when l count the number of able bodied people l know who are not doing well as l am and will give anything just to be in my position, and the relations and friends l have been able to assist whenever l could, l can not but say a big thank you to God.
I have a young brother too and he's a barber and also deaf, though we're not related, I noticed you guys are way better at barbing than other barbers, I think I'm starting to see a trend,it's like you guys handle the clipper differently.

9 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Bashir75: 7:03pm On Mar 25, 2020
sEGXY2:
How does one escape poverty in country like Nigeria where everything that is not you wants to kill your dream. If you grew up poor and somehow escaped poverty please kindly share your story lets learn.

I know we're currently amidst a severe pandemic but a lesson or two won't hurt anybody.

I don’t know if I can bear to write how GOD elevated me from trench of poverty to relatively better life. Now, I’m living and raising my kids in the USA. Tears run down my eyes anytime i think about my past and growing up in Nigeria and watching my kids enjoying what was luxurious in my own. I lost my mom when I was 15yrs, my dad a year after my mom and the year I was writing WAEC. As the first son with two younger brothers and two older sister who got married immediately after high school and NCE. This story is for another day because i suffered. My African-American wife could not imagined my trauma. If you see any guys birthed between 70s and mid 90s from a poor family and always angry, please be tolerant with them. It was the period the few educated baby boomers were financially wasteful and the gap between the wealthy and the poor became so wide. We started paying for high schools in the early 90s, walked over 20 miles to and from school and my short pant patched. I had to seek medical help for my anger because i never knew it was a problem as a result of years of sufferings. Poverty nah disease and worst than corona virus.

35 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Anny505(m): 7:03pm On Mar 25, 2020
still hustling oo....
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Mar 25, 2020
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by emkz: 7:03pm On Mar 25, 2020
After reading two and half pages, most of the stories are lacklustre and seem to be concocted from the imagination of the writers. "I sold pure water", "I sold plantain", "I moved from aunt to aunt and was accused of stealing", but no one accused you of killing. Someone would even say he was a bus conductor. Are those suffering? Have you ever been homeless or hungry to the point of cracking palm kernels for dinner?

My parents were not exactly poor, so I won't say I suffered or amplify what never was. But my mum gave me pure water to sell and also took me to school to help her sell ice cream. My dad took me to the farm and gave me cutlass to fetch firewood. I once ran to him that I saw a snake and he sent me back to kill it. I also was sent to the river to fetch water and I see all these as part of growing up and not suffering (I was well below 12 years old). Not because we needed the money but because they wanted me to see life from the other side.

So folks that want to share stories should share true stories and not make believe. And please no one has made it. Even Dangote is still trying to make it, that is why he is building a refinery. Life is a continuum.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Chirowman(m): 7:04pm On Mar 25, 2020
let me go and come back, i will tell my own life changing story but let me mark my register here.
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by abdullkabar(m): 7:04pm On Mar 25, 2020
Well, if there is life, there is hope
Since you are determined, and don't play around things that can cut your hope and life short. You should excel, Hopefully!!!
Be curious, and enjoy the stages and growth(easier said than done tho)

2 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by dante0147: 7:04pm On Mar 25, 2020
Respect who get Fear Who Never Collect!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by vickydevoka(m): 7:05pm On Mar 25, 2020
Truly speaking most family escape poverty through fraud or Malaysian money. In dis country even if u are working u hardly earn above 100k n for me dats still poverty, bcus u have bills n families to settle

4 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by thundafire: 7:05pm On Mar 25, 2020
Please what about your dad? Hope he is still alive.
Goodgod213:
After I saw how my dad suffered to raise the two of us I and my sibling till the company he was working with went down. We started living from one aunt house to uncles houses. I have been thrown out on four occasions, accused of stealing on many occasions, starved by family, disowned by my own mother who is in the abroad sending monies to different people in Nigeria and disregarding her son because I looked like my father. At 21 I moved to ibadan, stayed with a friend, dumped by my gf, Hustled to get my cert, did my Nysc, hustled more, bought a land at ibadan, bought my first car, bought another car, moved down to Lagos, rented a apartment.

Now I have a unisex salon, a boutique, a car listed on Bolt, and Presently working on roofing my project.

It’s not been easy. Not all women are mothers.
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by uvie66: 7:05pm On Mar 25, 2020
vincentjk:

I know how everything happened oga
Yes, only you and your God.
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Solomon8144: 7:05pm On Mar 25, 2020
yusufu16:
I was raised in a family of 10. At a point I was sent home from my school because no money for school fees. I hawk murchiya (pardon me I don't know the name in English),

After my secondary I moved to Abuja to hustle. At a point I got a job in a business center where I was to be paid N4k a month as salary. But 4 months in the job I wasn't paid a dime as salary. How I survive, only God knows. One time I could no afford money to even eat. So my friend and I will go inside bush to go and pluck unriped guava just to survive for that day. Let me also add that I was sleeping inside in a saloon. I always sleep whenever the owner of the salon finishes for the day. I will spray a clothe on the floor to sleep, no pillow, no nothing inside the shop.

Time past, I gather small money which I used to go write JAMB. On the day of the JAMB, after the exam, I didn't have transport money to come back. I just went there, without even thinking how I am going to come back. So what I did was to beg one man who brought his children with his car. As God will have it, they were going close to where I live.

JAMB result came out I score 191. Hmm what do I say. Live goes on. To my greatest surprise I got admitted into ABU, Zaria with the result.

In the university I didn't have money for accommodation, so I had to squat with other students because I used my savings to pay for the school fees. While in the university, sometimes I go hustle outside campus just to get money to survive.

As time goes one, I was able to secured 2 scholarships which has helped me complete my university and came out with 2.1.

Today I am a graduate, owned a car, and now i am into freelancing - website development and graphics design.

In all these I give God the glory and I am still hoping for better life ahead.
You're scammer oga.

God bless the client wey change ur life. Freelancer kor.

1 Like

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Akalia(m): 7:06pm On Mar 25, 2020
Olayinka8793:
Well, I didn't only grew up poor, I also grew up disabled after suffering permanent hearing loss since I was a kid in primary school.
As painful as that hearing loss was, it was what later pushed me to go and learn a trade in barbing since my hearing loss will be a great hindrance to my pursuit of higher education as there is no way I could have survived in conventional universities even though I managed to survived conventional high school up to SS2, and the other obvious choice which is a university for the deafs is not an option either as I never learned sign language.
long story short, I am a boss barber now with my own shop and two obedient apprentice.
By God's grace l am completely totally independent and out of poverty.
Doesn't sound so much like a big deal but when l count the number of able bodied people l know who are not doing well as l am and will give anything just to be in my position, and the relations and friends l have been able to assist whenever l could, l can not but say a big thank you to God.
You write quite well for someone who didn't roll through the four walls of a "conventional university" as you termed it. Your success story is inspiring. Keep aspiring.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Mar 25, 2020
sEGXY2:

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Mar 25, 2020
Just go to Linda Ikejis's blog and start from page 1

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month / Aishah Ahmad: Profile Of The CBN Deputy Governor / Real Owners Of REMITA- System Specs Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.