Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,045 members, 7,799,535 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Does Spending #16m On A 3 Years Phd In The UK Worth It - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Does Spending #16m On A 3 Years Phd In The UK Worth It (721 Views)

Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / I Just Got A 3-Month Visa To Dubai, I Need Your Suggestions Please!!! / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Spending #16m On A 3 Years Phd In The UK Worth It by Trello: 5:12am On Mar 26, 2020
Hello everyone - Ok, so I currently hold a Master's degree and I also recently gained admission into a PhD program in a UK university but with no funding from the school and the estimated total cost of the tuition and living expenses amount to about #16 million for the 3 years.
So, I decided to come seek the opinion of folks here with better experience if it really worth spending this amount in the long run or should I rather invest this amount?
Thanks in advance!
Re: Does Spending #16m On A 3 Years Phd In The UK Worth It by neutralmind: 5:17am On Mar 26, 2020
Waiting for the experts....
Re: Does Spending #16m On A 3 Years Phd In The UK Worth It by emae009(m): 5:26am On Mar 26, 2020
depends on the course or if you'll be working in the UK
Re: Does Spending #16m On A 3 Years Phd In The UK Worth It by CoronaVirusPro: 5:28am On Mar 26, 2020
16 what!

I die there!

Rather come to Nigeria and buy 4 PhD from Unilag, UI, OAU and FUTA

Highest I pay 4 million Naira each

16m for wetin.

1 Like

Re: Does Spending #16m On A 3 Years Phd In The UK Worth It by abbyode(m): 6:25am On Mar 26, 2020
You are better off pursuing the Phd in Canada than in the UK. In canada, you have a clear path of becoming a canadian citizen after your PhD than UK that doesn't have a clear-cut stable immigration policy.
Re: Does Spending #16m On A 3 Years Phd In The UK Worth It by bligs: 6:57am On Mar 26, 2020
Trello:
Hello everyone - Ok, so I currently hold a Master's degree and I also recently gained admission into a PhD program in a UK university but with no funding from the school and the estimated total cost of the tuition and living expenses amount to about #16 million for the 3 years.
So, I decided to come seek the opinion of folks here with better experience if it really worth spending this amount in the long run or should I rather invest this amount?
Thanks in advance!
That's a little above the fees of most Msc in Australia, only go ahead if you're certain of permanent residency after your program otherwise opt for countries with favourable conditions after study.
In Australia, you get 4years post study work visa after PhD and state like Victoria sponsor PhD degrees in selected profession.
Look at the whole thing as a lifetime investment and i can guarantee you that you won't regret it in the future but make enough research before choosing a particular country.
Re: Does Spending #16m On A 3 Years Phd In The UK Worth It by Nobody: 7:14am On Mar 26, 2020
Trello:
Thanks in advance!

Bros what do U need a PhD for...??
If u aim isn’t Continuous research and lecturing please don’t bother cos u may on the long run regret it and see it as a waste of time and resources.....professional courses after masters sells better that PhD if ur aim is to get a a better job in the industry.....
unless perhaps ur aim traveling is hungering you...or u aim to use it as a means to enter and stay in the UK by jumping ur visa...or by illegal marriage or cross to Canada.

This is my personal opinion on PhD, personal opinion ooooo... if it’s not life sciences, e.g bio or Medical science, mathematical, chemical science or engineering where u get access to the best facilities and equipments and carry out research that really matters in the lab..why waste money....I don’t see a big deal point traveling abroad because of social and management science research and pay almost 20million..unless u are on a full scholarship ride...
because all this social, management science paroles, it’s not like u are going to be taught something in class .. it’s an independent research...if u are lucky u’ll get a good supervisor to interact with, that will be with u every step of the way....if not, after approval of research topic you are mostly on ur own with whatever methodology u adopt.

It’s not like u need cutting edge equipments to do management or social science research that u can’t get here in Nigeria .
the same u will do here is likely what u will do over there interms of methodology...may b with a little difference in the area of seminar or if u have opportunity to get part time industry placement.

Oga dont got it twisted 16million can’t reach?
@434 naira current exchange rate that £36,866

The cheapest school fees in the uk for international student is 8000k£ for a low caliber university
3years is = 24k
Lucky enuf no bench fee as with lab research

Cheapest house rent u will get unless u have free house is 280£ per month for a shared room in a flat...multiplied by 36moths(3years) is 10,080£, if na flat for ur family, it’s gonna be more ...you no chop, u no go wear cloth... ??

If u won’t be going alone, u might have an added advantage Since ur wife will get full working rights unlike u that will get 20hrs per week work....

Like I said if ur aim is to jàpà from this shitt hole carry go..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Spending #16m On A 3 Years Phd In The UK Worth It by lazinny(m): 7:24am On Mar 26, 2020
The guy above me said it all. If you're not venturing into academia why bother with that Phd ?
Re: Does Spending #16m On A 3 Years Phd In The UK Worth It by 9JAFULLBREED(m): 3:33pm On Mar 26, 2020
grin

CoronaVirusPro:
16 what!

I die there!

Rather come to Nigeria and buy 4 PhD from Unilag, UI, OAU and FUTA

Highest I pay 4 million Naira each

16m for wetin.

(1) (Reply)

Driver "Drunk By Sanitiser" Crashes Vehicle Into Swimming Pool (PHOTOS) / Car Rams Into Union Bank Building In Eket Due To Brake Failure / Which Of The European Countries Has More Employment Opportunities For Foreigners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.