Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,817 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:21 PM

Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses (117593 Views)

Rosy Meurer Rocks Cleavage-Baring Outfit To AY's 48th Birthday Dinner / Alex Unusual Slays In Cleavage-Baring Outfit To AY Live / Hushpuppi Responds To AY Gucci Bag Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Onnasucs1(m): 11:13am On Mar 27, 2020
shocked
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by sleit: 11:15am On Mar 27, 2020
I like how the discussion on this thread is more about the accent than the wardrobe.

For me, I find Northern Nigeria accent very sexy. I heard an Hausa Human Rights activists speaking on twitter yesterday, and the accent... Oh the accent was lovely.

6 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by wagazala: 11:15am On Mar 27, 2020
Geofavor:

If you have to repeat yourself when you're talking to a native English speaker, it means you're not pronouncing your words correctly. Don't say it's the Nigerian accent. It's colloquial accent. To get a hint of what the real Nigerian accent sounds like, listen to Frank Idoho, Joseph Benjamin, and a few more well-spoken TV personalities. They wouldn't have to repeat themselves when talking to Americans or Britons.

And Americans or Britons are the only foreigners we have on the planet? Ever tried speaking to a Polish or Serbian?

Well you said Native English.

2 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by ZULIK: 11:16am On Mar 27, 2020
ifykris22:
Yea true .. we have the sexiest assents..

My friends tell me grin
have you had the assent of a Calabar man
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by sapientia(m): 11:18am On Mar 27, 2020
wagazala:

Sometimes it's to save you the stress of having to repeat yourself. When you speak with the Nigerian accent to a foreigner, some of them don't get some words.

What I don't fancy is speaking to a Nigerian with a foreign accent. Once I know you be naija , my brain auto switches, it's involuntary.

My kinda person.

If I even discover you are from my tribe, game over.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by lepasharon(f): 11:19am On Mar 27, 2020
Nerro042:

It's funny I actually think we Nigerians don't have an accent. Our English is kinda straight.

Nigerians butcher English, don't lie
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by babyfaceafrica: 11:21am On Mar 27, 2020
KosiGee:

I disagree. You mustn’t speak with your native accent to feel secure and more of a human. That was a terrible thing to say.

If you speak with your native accent, that’s your way of speaking. Lots of people don’t. They speak the way they have been orientated to.

You can easily distinguish Seye Ogunlewe and Ayo Fayose’s accent and the way they pronounce their words. I’ve heard one of them say ‘shildren’ when he meant ‘children’. Ogunlewe might say ‘ouse’ for ‘house’.

Abaribe’s accent is different from Okorocha’s. Ngige is different from Mbadinuju. If your native accent means that you are saying ‘sukulu’ for school, Oga you need to adapt and change.

If Buhari says kwarapshun for corruption, that doesn’t make it right or mean it is ok to do that. If Museveni says ‘dochumenti’ for document, it doesn’t mean Ugandans should embrace such because they find it convenient to say that.

If Buhari says kwarapshun for corruption, that doesn’t make it right or mean it is ok to do that

Doesn't make it wrong too

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by ZULIK: 11:22am On Mar 27, 2020
Onnasucs1:
shocked
what Idris said was very true his wardrobe is bigger than his house, he is concerned about is concert than the lives of low class Nigerians, taking from Nigerians it's now time for them to give back, every celebrity, artist, all them billionaires, dangote and atiku have taking the lead.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Geofavor(m): 11:22am On Mar 27, 2020
ifykris22:
Yea true .. we have the sexiest assents..

My friends tell me grin
Lol. Your ijebu "assent" ain't sexy, bro. If it's the polished Nigerian accent, I agree.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by edoairways: 11:22am On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:
Why do most Nigerians feel they need to change their accent when they speak with a foreigner? Nigerian accent is rated as one of the sexiest in the world. People should learn to embrace it.
It is caused by inferiority complex
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by sirblend: 11:23am On Mar 27, 2020
AdmiralDru:

I was in a conference video meeting with about 20+ other people on zoom and we were gonna introduce ourselves. Immediately I started speaking (with my normal Nigerian accent), the host (a Swiss lady) started laughing all through the 30 secs I spoke about myself. I guess it's cause of my accent.
But why?.
Any explanation?.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by angelEmade: 11:23am On Mar 27, 2020
AndroBlaze:

I will have to disagree with you on this brother.

First of all, we don't have a Nigerian accent as groups in Nigeria speak English in very distinctive ways... so which one is it that Oyinbo find attractive, Buhari accent, Obasanjo accent or Orji Uzor Kalu accent?

This point I am making is the same for England that has got many different accents, are you telling me people are rating a Scouse accent (Carragher's) the same they would rate Prince William's accent?

Anyway, the point I am making is we don't have a uniform accent, just like the English, so when people are rating our accents they are rating what they hear us speak to them, which is when we drop the local attributes of our accent and try and internationalise it usually by trying to copy the dominant English accent, the US tv acccent.

Anyway even the British do this, as no Scouser or Glaswegian will speak with their thick local accents when abroad..... they change their English to the clearer accents. Language is about communication foremost, and though I don't like "funne", it's more than understandable when you are in an international crowd.

I was reading all the comments and wondered why everyone's opinion was against mine until i found your comment. You are one of the very few intelligent people on nairaland! sometimes Nigerians hide behind the "feeling insecure" phrase to talk nonsense most times....
like someone noted...language is all about communication!

4 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Bobbyfreshh(m): 11:24am On Mar 27, 2020
Arabiandude:

You think most of them have the money to? My brother, most of them are living take lives... Big houses, big cars and no money in their account

Here we go again....same thing you broke asses keep on saying....a Nigeria artist run town donated 10mill ,and it may interest you to know that run town might not even be among the top 10 naija artist.....

And fake life is very expensive if you don't know

4 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Isoduwa(m): 11:24am On Mar 27, 2020
DModeCntStopMe:
shocked

Nigerians and eye service!

The poster said he was "captured" in a video. Who captured him?

Inferiority complex has finished AY and most Nigerians. The niggarrr deliberately shot the video to brag to his fellow complex Nigerians say em sabi Idris.

AY don't come across to me like a comedian, it's so whack!

How people find him funny still amazes me

Just tell us say na he money dey vex you we go understand

4 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by stanliwise(m): 11:25am On Mar 27, 2020
KosiGee:

If she was laughing at your accent, that would’ve been very rude. If I was you, I would’ve stopped in the middle of my introduction and ask her if I had said anything funny.
cool cool such a mature ways of handling such event. If the reverse was the case. All hell will set loose.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by bionixs: 11:26am On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:
Why do most Nigerians feel they need to change their accent when they speak with a foreigner? Nigerian accent is rated as one of the sexiest in the world. People should learn to embrace it.
because they don't want to be sexy
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Isoduwa(m): 11:26am On Mar 27, 2020
Don't take enlish for a ride
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by okpala95(m): 11:27am On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:

When you speak with 9ja accent.. People barely understand shit. They start saying "Can you repeat yourself?", "Come again", "sorry i didn't get what you said" bla bla bla. They don't get it.

It's not their fault. At least someone form Ghana or Cameroon understands me.

So we have to fuse our accent to conform to their understanding. Some people start to speak slower, some pick their words wisely. Because we don't want to lose the conversation or friendship (whatever the case may be)

Personally, i hate when i have to repeat myself all the time. So i switch my accent. Thankfully, I've got a British accent as well. angry grin

You won't understand if you've never conversed with someone of non-african accent.

4 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by BABANGBALI: 11:28am On Mar 27, 2020
Rubbish
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Ayobami7(m): 11:30am On Mar 27, 2020
废话
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by bionixs: 11:30am On Mar 27, 2020
Dominatrix:
It was a bit rude when he wouldn't turn his cam away from the wardrobe.... Hian. grin
you will never leave this matter until you drop a bunchline as you have just done. Nigerians, why are we like this na? shebi he asked for it

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Ibechris2: 11:30am On Mar 27, 2020
Nigerians and material things of this world.

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by ba7man(m): 11:31am On Mar 27, 2020
AdmiralDru:

I was in a conference video meeting with about 20+ other people on zoom and we were gonna introduce ourselves. Immediately I started speaking (with my normal Nigerian accent), the host (a Swiss lady) started laughing all through the 30 secs I spoke about myself. I guess it's cause of my accent.
It's probably turning her on.

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Geofavor(m): 11:31am On Mar 27, 2020
wagazala:

And Americans or Britons are the only foreigners we have on the planet? Ever tried speaking to a Polish or Serbian?

Well you said Native English.
Regardless of who you're speaking with, you won't have to repeat yourself if you speak your English with a polished Nigerian accent. This is because it will follow the dictionary pronunciations and it won't be spoken too fast like some Brits and Americans speak. It doesn't matter if it's a Slovakian, Indian, French man, etc. you're talking to. So long as the person understands English, they will get you clearly.

5 Likes

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by tico1212(m): 11:33am On Mar 27, 2020
wagazala:

Sometimes it's to save you the stress of having to repeat yourself. When you speak with the Nigerian accent to a foreigner, some of them don't get some words.

What I don't fancy is speaking to a Nigerian with a foreign accent. Once I know you be naija , my brain auto switches, it's involuntary.

Exactly, they will understand you better than saying “pardon?”
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Dominatrix(f): 11:33am On Mar 27, 2020
bionixs:
you will never leave this matter until you drop a bunchline as you have just done. Nigerians, why are we like this na? shebi he asked for it

No no no, don't get me wrong. I'm friends with the guy in question so trust me I don't do unnecessary hate banter , but you know during the video call he turned the camera away for such a long tjme that it appear Idris got bored for a minute therr but was only trying to be polite. Lol

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Kubernetes: 11:34am On Mar 27, 2020
Or11:

I spoke on phone with a white American from Colorado.He seem not to understand me when speaking my naija flow,I had to change to slangs a bit, then he understood me

1 Like

Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by MOnkeyBabe(f): 11:37am On Mar 27, 2020
KosiGee:

If she was laughing at your accent, that would’ve been very rude. If I was you, I would’ve stopped in the middle of my introduction and ask her if I had said anything funny.

LmaO . My Own is all these NiGeRian COmeDians that claim one could Switch aCCents when they are HaPpy, but when they BeCOme maD and AnGRy, they SPeak with their hOme BaSED AcCents. Please watCh thOSe COmeDy SKits for you to See what I'm SayinG.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by Aidejay(m): 11:37am On Mar 27, 2020
DModeCntStopMe:
shocked Nigerians and eye service! The poster said he was "captured" in a video. Who captured him?
Inferiority complex has finished AY and most Nigerians. The niggarrr deliberately shot the video to brag to his fellow complex Nigerians say em sabi Idris. AY don't come across to me like a comedian, it's so whack! How people find him funny still amazes me
na jealousy be this. It changes nothing.
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by afroxyz: 11:45am On Mar 27, 2020
wagazala:

Would an oyibo try to speak like a Nigerian when talking to You?
Re: Idris Elba To AY Makun: Your Wardrobe Is Bigger Than Most People's Houses by encryptjay(m): 11:46am On Mar 27, 2020
Wow! Some learned guys on first page. There's hope for Nairaland grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Breaking News Peter Edochie Is Dead / Olamide Removes Dreadlocks, Dances To Show Off His Bald Head / VIDEO Young Secondary School Girl Having Sex In Class With Two Guys In Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.