Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,876 members, 7,798,940 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:35 PM

Federal Government Releases 70% Of Nigerian Prison Inmates due to Corona virus - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Federal Government Releases 70% Of Nigerian Prison Inmates due to Corona virus (659 Views)

70% Of Medical Doctors In Kano Have Absconded - Analyst Reveals / The Longest Queue I Experienced In UBA Bank Today Due To Corona Virus / Corona Virus: Is It Safe To Order Stuff From AliExpress? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federal Government Releases 70% Of Nigerian Prison Inmates due to Corona virus by DerickCO(m): 5:15pm On Mar 27, 2020
As part of measures to reduce the spread of coronavirus, the Nigerian government has directed the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) to release all awaiting trial inmates in its custody.

Awaiting trial inmates account for 70 per cent of the detainees in Nigeria's correctional centres.

Minister of interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola who gave the directive, said the move is to prevent the ravaging coronavirus from spreading into the correctional centres.

Nigeria's minister of interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola gave the directive on behalf of the government.

In a statement spokesman of the ministry, Mohammed Manga, Aregbesola revealed that the directive was informed by the decision of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, to avoid a worst-case scenario in the event of the centres being infected by the virus.

He added that the measure is aimed at ensuring the safety of the inmates, members of staff of the Nigeria Correctional Service and other Nigerians.

At the request of the federal government, state governors are expected to visit the custodial centres in their states with the chief judges and state attorneys-general, to consider and grant amnesty to deserving inmates.

The government had last week closed the country's international airports to ensure those from high-risk countries do not find their way into Nigeria.

The government also announced the closure of all land borders for four weeks as part of its lockdown measures.

Meanwhile, the federal government has alerted Nigerians to the existence of an android-based malicious and fraudulent coronavirus ransomware application.

Minister of information and culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed raised the alarm via a press statement on Tuesday, March 24.

Mohammed said the application claims to provide updates on the virus and infections near the user, warning that it is fake.

In a related development, the government has through the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), suspended all enrolment activities and other ancillary services across Nigeria.

The NIMC said the safety of all Nigerians coming for enrolment as well as that of its staff is a priority at the moment.

Nigerians await fulfillment of TB Joshua's prophesy of coronavirus ending on March 27.
Re: Federal Government Releases 70% Of Nigerian Prison Inmates due to Corona virus by LOVEGINO(m): 5:16pm On Mar 27, 2020
If Na me, I go no where. Prison is more safer for now.
Re: Federal Government Releases 70% Of Nigerian Prison Inmates due to Corona virus by backnbeta(f): 5:23pm On Mar 27, 2020
This one is strong, eleyi gidi gan undecided

They really need to decongest the correctional facilities though, but I hope the hardcore repeat offenders are kept behind bars in a better condition
Re: Federal Government Releases 70% Of Nigerian Prison Inmates due to Corona virus by viccipedia: 5:24pm On Mar 27, 2020
This is definitely fake news. No matter how dumb a government is, they will know better than to fast track the inevitable anarchy.
Re: Federal Government Releases 70% Of Nigerian Prison Inmates due to Corona virus by princeade86(m): 5:42pm On Mar 27, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: Federal Government Releases 70% Of Nigerian Prison Inmates due to Corona virus by obiekunie2: 5:45pm On Mar 27, 2020
A very dangerous decision fa!
Re: Federal Government Releases 70% Of Nigerian Prison Inmates due to Corona virus by overall90: 5:50pm On Mar 27, 2020
70% of Boko suspects i guess.
Re: Federal Government Releases 70% Of Nigerian Prison Inmates due to Corona virus by Nobody: 6:19pm On Mar 27, 2020
Good decision,courtesy of the ordinary president of Berekete family program of human rights radio...God bless that man
Re: Federal Government Releases 70% Of Nigerian Prison Inmates due to Corona virus by Inkling(f): 6:25pm On Mar 27, 2020
Good news

I visited Enugu state prison at NSUKKA it had 262 inmates and 200 of them are awaiting trial.

I wept for them. What of if they find them not guilty in the long run? Who we pay for the stigma and time wasted in a poultry with high fence called correction center?

(1) (Reply)

Masturbating Is Eating Me Up / . / Yy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.