Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:32 AM

Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus (747 Views)

Fear Over Mysterious Deaths In Jos / Fox News Prepares For War Over Corona Virus Misinformation / Breaking: Thousands Abandoned In Ship Over Corona Virus Outbreak (photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by drsugar: 5:07pm On Mar 28, 2020
Anyone in China, North America or Europe who has lost one or two people recently to corona virus would definitely think differently than what I'm about to say.

This discussion is for Nigerians and those in the tropics.

However, the truth is that we don't know fully well the predicted impact of Corona virus on our population in Nigeria and probably Africa as a whole for now. Everyone is just guessing.

It's very likely that we won't be having much people coming down with the severe disease or death because:

1.) We have very low elderly population compared to China, Europe and North America.

2.) Over the years, morbidities and mortalities (deaths) from seasonal flu have been low in our population compared to North America and Europe.

3.) Our Ecology and weather pattern doesn't favor/support the seasonal transmission and survivability of the flu virus.

However, despite all these, our efforts to reduce active cases are still in line to complement global efforts.

The truth is that local impact of the disease most likely won't be as bad as those of China, Europe and North America.

Let's continue to support the mitigation measures. STAY HOME, STAY SAFE, WASH HANDS, SOCIAL DISTANCING.

1 Like

Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by vickysly: 5:09pm On Mar 28, 2020
drsugar:
Anyone in China, North America or Europe who has lost one or two people recently to corona virus will definitely think differently than what I'm about to say.

This discussion is for Nigerians and those in the Tropics alone.

However, the truth is that we don't know fully well the predicted impact of Corona virus on our population in Nigeria and probably Africa as a whole for now. Everyone is just guessing.

It's very likely that we won't be having much people coming down with the severe disease or death because:

1.) We have very low elderly population compared to China, Europe and North America.

2.) Over the years, morbidity and mortality(deaths) from seasonal flu have been low in our population compared to North America and Europe.

3.) Our Ecology and weather pattern doesn't favor/support the seasonal transmission and survivability of the flu virus.

However, despite all these, our efforts to reduce active cases is still in line to complement global effort.

The truth is that local impact of the disease most likely won't be as bad as that of China, Europe and North America.

Let's continue to support the mitigation measures. STAY HOME, STAY SAFE, WASH HANDS, SOCIAL DISTANCING.
We hope so
Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by Yenefer(f): 5:10pm On Mar 28, 2020
This whole coronahoax is just a test run to see what they can get away with. Judging by the peoples reactions so far....the deep state has us by the short and curlies. And they know it.
Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by OdefaGirl(f): 5:13pm On Mar 28, 2020
We hope and pray so....
Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by drsugar: 5:20pm On Mar 28, 2020
Yenefer:
This whole coronahoax is just a test run to see what they can get away with. Judging by the peoples reactions so far....the deep state has us by the short and curlies. And they know it.

You might be right, you might be wrong.

Except you are a virologist or public health expert or which I doubt, it's difficult for you to know with certainty that this is a hoax.

I'm sure if 5,000 and more people have died in Nigeria in the past 3 weeks just like in Italy including probably a close relative of yours(God Forbid), you would be thinking differently.

It's real. You can probably assume it's being exaggerated.. However, considering the uncertainty associated with the virus and couple with the fact that there is not treatment or vaccine yet, the exaggeration might be justified
Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by Yenefer(f): 5:22pm On Mar 28, 2020
drsugar:

Except you are a virologist or public health expert or which I doubt, it's difficult for you to know with certainty that this is a hoax.

I'm sure if 5,000 and more people have died in Nigeria in the past 3 weeks just like in Italy including probably a close relative of yours(God Forbid), you would be thinking differently.

It's real. You can probably assume it's being exaggerated.. However, considering the uncertainty associated with the virus and couple with the fact that there is not treatment or vaccine yet, the exaggeration might be justified
the exaggerations is to much especially here in Nigeria, there's still no community spread only index cases, or close Contacts.
Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by Ehiscotch(m): 5:56pm On Mar 28, 2020
I quite agree with you, it's funny how people are already extrapolating from a few cases to a community spread judging by how fast it has spread abroad.

I think there are a few variables in place that is contributing to the slow spread of the disease and its effects because we should have been recording deaths by now.

Overall, God keep us.
Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by drsugar: 7:03pm On Mar 28, 2020
Yenefer:
the exaggerations is to much especially here in Nigeria, there's still no community spread only index cases, or close Contacts.

The best time to conclude whether the exaggerations were much or not would be after all these are over.

The public health experts, I guess are also face with uncertainties... They are probably thinking like IT'S BETTER TO EXAGGERATE AND BE WRONG THAN TO BE RELAXED AND BE WRONG

It's a game of probability and uncertainty... Could end up being better than predicted or probably worse.
Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by drsugar: 7:06pm On Mar 28, 2020
Ehiscotch:
I quite agree with you, it's funny how people are already extrapolating from a few cases to a community spread judging by how fast it has spread abroad.

I think there are a few variables in place that is contributing to the slow spread of the disease and its effects because we should have been recording deaths by now.

Overall, God keep us.

Yeah. Gonna be most likely better than predicted... However, Like Anthony Fauci said at the white house press briefing, THE VIRUS DETERMINES THE COURSE, WE ARE JUST TRYING TO MITIGATE.
Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by englishmart(m): 7:10pm On Mar 28, 2020
Balderdash. South Africa has over 1,000 cases, and they are predominantly black. The shitt shows no respect for race or religion. In fact the best way to show you're god-fearing is by staying at home on Sundays and Fridays

2 Likes

Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by englishmart(m): 7:24pm On Mar 28, 2020
drsugar:

There's no treatment and vaccine yet, still people survive. What happened to Arteta, Hudson-Odoi, Dybala and a lot of others who later tested negative. They must be hiding something. How did China curb the virus? Maybe the virus isn't as lethal as has been painted

1 Like

Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by drsugar: 11:55pm On Mar 28, 2020
englishmart:
There's no treatment and vaccine yet, still people survive. What happened to Arteta, Hudson-Odoi, Dybala and a lot of others who later tested negative. They must be hiding something. How did China curb the virus? Maybe the virus isn't as lethal as has been painted

What about the 57 doctors and 5000 plus people in Italy who were alive in February but now dead due to covid 19? It depends on individual perspective though. Like I said, nobody can say for sure what's going on. Time will tell.
Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by Amhappy(f): 5:58am On Mar 29, 2020
This is a message of hope. Thank you OP. I follow the figures and there's hope if we slow down the infection. The more the infection the more the likelihood of death. I think nature is helping us but still more need to be done. For those who think this is overrated,you cannot err on the side of caution.Trump last month took Covid-19 as just a flu. The world do not have a full grasp of what we are dealing with. The earlier corona viruses never got around but look at this one holding our world hostage.
Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by drsugar: 7:07am On Mar 29, 2020
Amhappy:
This is a message of hope. Thank you OP. I follow the figures and there's hope if we slow down the infection. The more the infection the more the likelihood of death. I think nature is helping us but still more need to be done. For those who think this is overrated,you cannot err on the side of caution.Trump last month took Covid-19 as just a flu. The world do not have a full grasp of what we are dealing with. The earlier corona viruses never got around but look at this one holding our world hostage.

Thanks so much. You got the point. Even for the experts right now, it's still a game of uncertainty and guesswork to an extent. We are just so lucky here with the love of God. We are yet to enter the stage of community transmission. With our population, we are supposed to be at that stage right now but by some random luck of nature, we aren't there yet. If you ask me right now I'll predict that the outcome will be better than predicted.
Re: Medical Perspective: Nigerians And African Should Have No Fear Over Corona Virus by viyon02: 10:11am On Mar 29, 2020
Very true, in order to preserve the life and potency of a virus, you need a very cold condition/environment, so our weather here may not likely support the life of the virus for long period.

(1) (Reply)

Good News: Uk To Begin Trial Of Covid-19 Vaccine On Patients From Thursday / Infrared Face Thermometers Available / Nigeria Records 242 New Cases Of #COVID19; 88 In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.