Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,327 members, 7,808,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife - Culture (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife (39426 Views)

Abiriba Kingdom In Abia Holds 600-Year-Old ‘Itu Eye’ Ceremony In Grand Style / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 4:47pm On Apr 12, 2020
The same R. Smith continued to clarify citing the Lagos tradition that:

"The early traditions of Lagos ascribe the peopling of this sandy waste near the edge of the ocean to a small scale-migration of Awori Yoruba, who first settled under the leadership of a hunter named Ogunfunminire about twelve miles near the River Ogun at Isheri ... .Ogunfunminire is said to have been a member of the royal house of Ife ..."

R. Smith Kingdoms of theYoruba (1969), p.73.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 4:51pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

The current Oba of Lagos have consistently made public statements calling the Oba of Benin his father not some Awori.

You can spin that anyhow you like.

Just like I can call Oba of Benin my father more legitimately than you can do. grin

In fact, If you want to be very very detailed, his strict paternal genealogy goes back to Ologun Kutere and thence to Ilesha. A story for another day. cheesy cheesy

But he clarified his bungle (that gives all Binis world-wide so much joy) with a public statement in the header below:

1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 5:02pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

"The early traditions of Lagos ascribe the peopling of this sandy waste near the edge of the ocean to a small scale-migration of Awori Yoruba, who first settled under the leadership of a hunter named Ogunfunminire about twelve miles near the River Ogun at Isheri ... .Ogunfunminire is said to have been a member of the royal house of Ife ..."

I cited an eyewitness account of Lagos in 1603.

You cited a report of 1969.

Until you disproved everything I wrote about the report of 1603 by producing and pointing out in the report where I lie, I leave our audience/other tribes to reach their own conclusions.

You can't wake up in 1969 and say that what was said in 1603 was a lie.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 5:05pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

If you like twist and spin the Lagos history anyhow you like. Lagos state government acknowledges on their official website that Benin Kingdom founded Lagos as it is known today.

You will continue for the next 50yrs to torture yourself with debunking Benin great history and will always be a failure..
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 5:06pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

I cited an eyewitness account of Lagos in 1603.

You cited a report of 1969.

Until you disproved everything I wrote about the report of 1603 by producing and pointing out in the report where I lie, I leave our audience/other tribes to reach their own conclusions.

You can't wake up in 1969 and say that what was said in 1603 was a lie.

You are a dummy who lives a lie. You will be exposed to the end and shred.

To clarify for those interested in truth:

You (samuk) referenced a certain unknown brother Michael Uchebuaku who said he was quoting Ulsheimer 1603.

I (TAO11) referenced a renowned historian R, Smith who was quoting Ulsheimer 1603.

And thus did I expose your slyness with dates.

And we see that your brother Michael said Ulsheimer said: 1603 LAGOS (as a whole) was inhabited ONLY by Benin soldiers.

Whereas R. Smith said Ulsheimer said: 1603 LAGOS (as a whole) was a resort for all kind of traders coming by water and land.

I just shamed a liar and deceiver as I always do. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 5:13pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

If you like twist and spin the Lagos history anyhow you like. Lagos state government acknowledges on their official website that Benin Kingdom founded Lagos as it is known today.

You will continue for the next 50yrs to torture yourself with debunking Benin great history and will always be a failure..

My name is not Professor R. Smith.

I never authored a 1969 classic called The Kingdom of the Yorubas which states the following in page 73.

LAND GRABBERS stay far away. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by SilverSniper: 5:14pm On Apr 12, 2020
The relevant passage in Andreas Ulsheimer's account (from 1603, I wrote 1602 earlier mistakenly as I was recalling the date from memory) is the following:

"Forty miles from Benin lies a large town called Lago [Lagos], which also belongs to the King of Benin. It lies on an island and is a frontier town, surrounded by a strong fence. In it live none but soldiers and four military commanders, who behave in a very stately manner. Every day they come together in the king's house and make a sacrifice every morning. After the sacrifice, they hold court in the open air, in front of the king's house. Whoever has anything to complain about makes his complaint. They all fall on their knees when they present their case, and when one man is given a verdict in his favour, he thanks the authorities and the king. Also, two envoys always stand with the judge and listen to what is done. Every day these two send news off to the king, informing him of what the judges have done that day. They do this throughout the whole year. This is practiced not only in Lago, but also in other towns of the king, as well as in Benin itself. Many people come to the aforesaid town Lago, by water and by land, with their wares, which consist of beautiful cotton cloths woven in all kinds of colours and patterns." - Andreas Ulsheimer's voyage of 1603-4, translation by Adam Jones in German Sources for West African History, 1599-1669 (1983), pp. 40-41

The "forty miles" would be either German miles or perhaps Dutch miles (Ulsheimer was a German, but he was working for the Dutch), not English miles.

At that time, the king of Benin, presumably one of the "warrior-kings" of Benin tradition - most likely either Orhogbua or Ehengbuda - was campaigning directly in the Lagos area (something which Egharevba, who had no idea about Ulsheimer's account, also claimed independently on the basis of tradition in his works on Benin history centuries later) and the "king's house" in "Lago" that Ulsheimer refers to is a reference to his residence there while on campaign. Ulsheimer gives a very brief description of the Benin palace, in Benin City, separately from this, in another part of his account (given on p. 37 of the book by Adam Jones cited above), and so the "king's house" that he mentions in that passage is not a reference to the royal palace, but to a certain royal building in "Lago".

Regarding the tradition of the prince "Ashipa" (Edo: "Esikpa", "Aisikpa"wink of Iseri, of the Olofin dynasty, being appointed the first Oba of Lagos, as a reward by the Oba of Benin for transporting the dead body of a renowned Benin soldier, "Aseru" (or "Asheru"wink back to Benin City for burial, it is entirely possible. Although Robin Law has discounted it ("Trade and Politics behind the Slave Coast: The Lagoon Traffic and the Rise of Lagos, 1500-1800" (1983), p. 328) and Dmitri Bondarenko has also discounted it (A Popular History of Benin, p 153), it can't simply be ruled out and the account may be based on something that really happened.

A recent overview of different traditions about the history of Lagos is "Benin Imperialism and the Transformation of Idejo Chieftaincy Institution in Lagos, 1603-1850", Journal of the Historical Society of Nigeria, Vol. 25 (2016) by Bashir Olalekan Animashaun.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 5:21pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

You are a dummy who lives a lie. You will be exposed to the end and shred.

To clarify for those interested in truth:

You (samuk) referenced a certain unknown brother Michael Uchebuaku who said he was quoting Ulsheimer 1603.

I (TAO11) referenced a renowned historian R, Smith who was quoting Ulsheimer 1603.

And thus did I expose your slyness with dates.

And we see that your brother Michael said Ulsheimer said: 1603 LAGOS (as a whole) was inhabited ONLY by Benin soldiers.

Whereas R. Smith said Ulsheimer said: 1603 LAGOS (as a whole) was a resort for all kind of traders coming by water and land.

I just shamed a liar and deceiver as I always do. grin grin grin grin grin grin

You are irredeemable, you begin to throw insults around after losing the debate and arguments, not only are you a tribal bigot but also from the gutter.

You can't help yourself, you can hardly string few words together without an insult.

And for a woman?

This is exactly what I warned AgboAto about when he started referring to people like you as educated, maybe your so called education can be put in context of the wider meaning of education to the Yorubas.

I leave your character for the audience to judge.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 5:23pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

And you are fatuous liar. I'm not sure who lie more you or smauk.

The website of Lagos State can never mention any such joke. grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

See attachment below

1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 5:24pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

You are irredeemable, you begin to throw insults around after losing the debate and arguments, not only are you a tribal bigot but also from the gutter.

You can't help yourself, you can hardly string few words together without an insult.

And for a woman?

I leave your character for the audience to judge.

Because you lie and you hate to be called out for it. Stupid fatuous lies for that matter.

It drives you mad when your lies are busted.

It's one of two things. If you hate to be busted, then stop lying. You can't have both.

Did you say I lost a debate wherein you cited brother Michael Uchebuaku who lied about citing Ulsheimer ?? ?? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

In contrast to I who cited R. Smith who actually cited Ulsheimer

Type the following words 100 times. People will believe. And it would become the truth:

TAO11 lost the debate grin grin grin grin grin

And of course the audience aren't dumb just because you think they are.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 5:32pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

Because you lie and you hate to be called out for it. Stupid fatuous lies for that matter.

It drives you mad when your lies are busted.

It's one of two things. If you hate to be busted, then stop lying. You can't have both.

It's not up to you to call a person a liar, present your case and leave the rest to the unbiased audience to determine who the liar is.

You are not the one to tell other tribes that your opponent is lying, they can see the evidence for themselves.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 5:39pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

It's not up to you to call a person a liar, present your case and leave the rest to the unbiased audience to determine who the liar is.

You are not the one to tell other tribes that your opponent is lying, they can see the evidence for themselves.

Because it's glaringly annoying that you're a liar. Why did you want me to shield you?

You referenced an unknown, brother Michael Uchbuaku, who supposedly was quoting Ulsheimer (1603). --- but turns out to be a missattribution.

While I referenced an historian, R. Smith who quoted Ulsheimer (1603).

You turned around to say that you cited a 1603 doc. and that I cited a 1969 doc. ---- What does that me? It means that you just called me a lair while that itself is a lie from you.

But somehow you hope to be shielded and not called out for double lies.

No we don't do that here.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 5:45pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

Because it's glaringly annoying that you're a liar. Why did you want me to shield you?

You referenced an unknown, brother Michael Uchbuaku, who supposedly was quoting Ulsheimer (1603). --- but turns out to be a missattribution.

While I referenced an historian, R. Smith who quoted Ulsheimer (1603).

You turned around to say that you cited a 1603 doc. and that I cited a 1969 doc. ---- What does that me? It means that you just called me a lair while that itself is a lie from you.

But somehow you hope to be shielded and not called out for double lies.

No we don't do that here.

You can't be the judge in your own submission unless you take the audience for idiots that can't think for themselves.

Present your evidence and allow your opponent to do same without name calling.

The unbiased and neural audiences from other tribes will read both evidences and make their own conclusions.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 5:54pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

You can't be the judge in your own submission unless you take the audience for idiots that can't think for themselves.

Present your evidence and allow your opponent to do same without name calling.

The unbiased and neural audiences from other tribes will read both evidences and make their own conclusions.

Quit mentioning audience and stop drawing sympathy while shedding crocodile tears. grin grin grin grin

Being the judge in your own case is precisely what you did when you quoted someone who was supposed to be left out independent --- drawing false and unwarranted alliance. grin

Also misrepresenting what I said in black and white --- saying I said A when I had said B --- is also being a judge in your own case, and a false judge for that matter.

At this point it has become obvious that you have nothing to present further than the already demolished bother Uchebuaku whose supposed citation has been shown to be a spurious misrepresentation.

If you have a further argument or evidence, let me know, otherwise I will start crossing out your rants if I please.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 6:06pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

Quit mentioning audience and stop drawing sympathy while shedding crocodile tears. grin grin grin grin

Being the judge in your own case is precisely what you did when you quoted someone who was supposed to be left out independent --- drawing false and unwarranted alliance. grin

Also misrepresenting what I said in black and white --- saying I said A when I had said B --- is also being a judge in your own case, and a false judge for that matter.

At this point it has become obvious that you have nothing to present further than the already demolished bother Uchebuaku whose supposed citation has been shown to be a spurious misrepresentation.

If you have a further argument or evidence, let me know, otherwise I will start crossing out your rants if I please.

You are trying your best to turn every bit of Yoruba poor history in favour of Yoruba.
You debunk Ife/oduduwa history, debunk Benin great history, debunk history of Eastern Yoruba.. but u forget that the history has already been written and documented and will always be;

Oduduwa came from Mecca to rule in Ife.
Benin conquered and ruled Yoruba
Benin founded modern Lagos
Benin greatness and achievements surpasses Ife.
Ife was not an empire

So continue your pointless debunking, people will always read the truth online.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 6:13pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]You are trying your best to turn every bit of Yoruba poor history in favour of Yoruba.
You debunk Ife/oduduwa history, debunk Benin great history, debunk history of Eastern Yoruba.. but u forget that the history has already been written and documented and will always be;

Oduduwa came from Mecca to rule in Ife.
Benin conquered and ruled Yoruba
Benin founded modern Lagos
Benin greatness and achievements surpasses Ife.
Ife was not an empire

So continue your pointless debunking, people will always read the truth online.[/s]

Whenever you admit to having anything to offer, then I will engage you.

But for now that you still insist that you have nothing to offer, I humbly ask that you crawl back in reverse mode into your creepy hole.

I understand that you're hurt. You will be fine.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 6:14pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]You have a twisted fantasy about a great Yoruba history over Benin..

There is numerous evidence, both oral and written and witnessed that much of Eastern Yoruba was under the rule of Benin Kingdom. if u like deny it, turn it upside down or shrink it, the fact and proof will always be there.

The treaty Benin had with Owo was obtained after the conquest of Owo by Oba Ewaure the great during the expansion of Benin Kingdom. At a point Owo rebelled and that was when Iken the Benin general was dispatched to Owo to quell the rebellion. According to Egharevba, “After short but severe fighting, they (Owo) surrendered.” Iken himself was later killed, after sending his soldiers, captives and spoils to Benin City.
Ewuare the Great was succeeded in Benin by Ezoti, and Ezoti by Ozolua, who came to the throne about 1481. Shortly thereafter, Ozolua marched on Owe and was surprised that the people capitulated so readily. One of Ozolua’s sons was made the Owa (Olowo) of Owo.

If you like twist the story to make yourself feel good, it will always be quite clear that Benin exercised great authority over Owo. Otherwise, why should it have been necessary for an heir to the throne of Owo, a Yoruba town, to receive his training in the court of an Edo kingdom? Why was it necessary that the Oba of Benin confirm an Olowo on the throne? Furthermore, in his revised manuscripts on the history of Owo, Chief Ashara records that when leopards were killed in the town, their heads were usually sent to Benin, an act of homage.
Even till today, Owo tradition and customs are more similar to Edo than Yoruba even though they identify as yoruba.[/s]
Same comment as the foregoing applies here. Give way and let me fry other small fishes, but who are bigger.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 6:19pm On Apr 12, 2020
AreaFada2:
TA011,
[s]thank God you are not even disguising your bigotry towards Benin. Yoruba people used their early educational advantage to write all sorts of nonsense History.

This was the aim of the British. To diminish Benin influence to the point people would question if such ever existed.

She quotes Yoruba writers educated on Yoruba propaganda as authority on Benin history. Lol. grin
Then add one European/Western writer who relied on Yoruba version to write his.

In 25 years, Yoruba will claim that Benin never set foot on Yoruba land. They will not even admit Olowo Princes had to be tutored at Oba's palace in Benin.

The likes of future Meleszenawi will swallow every Yoruba lie hook, line and sinker.

History written in 1933, they will claim it was fabricated in 1970s. What Meleszenawi does not realise is that Yoruba prism of history is not Benin prism.

I had to read books on Napoleon by British, French, German, Swiss and American writers to get a balanced view. In the native languages of the writers to avoid possible errors during translation.

The American version by a former navy officer was the best. It reconciled the contradictions, ommisions, lies, embellishments and outright bigotry or hero worship in most other books. The Swiss writer was better balanced too.

The American analysed Napoleon's decisions (political, economic, military, etc) from pure military tactical perspectives.

People like me who span the tribal divide DO NOT see it as a supremacy battle. Nothing to gain any way.

But simply stating facts of history and to further shed more light. We know the side that wins politically in modern times tries to rewrite History.

People come here, cut and paste and post any references they like, but none put their money where their mouth is.

I have volunteered for years now to fund genetic tests for 10 members of Benin and Ife Royal families. Let others come up with ideas and funds to put the argument to rest scientifically. Targeted research, not cut and paste evidence. Since we all want the truth scientifically nobody should dodge this.

But people come here, make claims about Ashipa, condescend, throws agbero/agbaya insults and disappear. Claiming to know Ashipa story better than late Oba Oyekan and reigning Oba Akiolu put together.

You guys need to do better. Talk is way too cheap. Throw your challenge on the floor. With needed funding too.[/s]

Fist of all, you didn't quote me. You made sure to carefully replace the "O" in my moniker with "0". Lol.

Moving on ... For you, "bigotry" against Binis refers to the the act of citing historical documents among other works of history (NOT MY OWNS WORDS) to demonstrate that it is time to crush the lies that you all have built in a while while everyone chose to ignore and remain quite. cheesy

Isn't that an interesting definition of bigotry??

I have actually being asked to ignore by some of our own. Just as is usually expected of Yorubas.

But guess what .... If I had done that, your laughable definition of "bigotry" wouldn't have been exposed.

You cited no historical document, no historian, no academic, no scholar. NOTHING!! Yet, somehow I am a bigot for doing so.

Continue your real bigotry!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 6:34pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

Summary of the thread so far.

1. It was generally agreed by debaters that Benin did have some form of colonial expansion into eastern Yoruba land.

2. Benin presence in Lagos as far back as 1603 was agreed by all, no dispute.

3. Oduduwa origin was heavily disputed with various accounts.

A. Oyo accounts says Oduduwa was from either the sky or mecca and the current Ooni descents from the lineage of shrine keeper. Ref. Johnson.

B. Ife account says Oduduwa was a native of Ife

C. Benin accounts says Oduduwa was a banished Benin prince, Ekaladerhan.

4. It was generally agreed that the Yorubas have not always had one history. They were various tribes that used to fight themselves, sometimes with the help of Benin army and guns.

5. The Benin/Ife connection was called into questions especially considering Ife may be younger than Benin.

6. Benin relationship with Nupe/Igala was examined.

7. No evidence was found of Benin/Ife relationship in the first four hundred years of recorded Benin history.

8. No human bones found in Orun Oba Ado site in Ife after excavation.

9. Link to Guinness book of world records showing Benin Wall to be the largest man made structure on planet earth, four times great wall of China, many times the great pyramids of Egypt was presented.

10. Benin civil war was discussed.

11. Evidence provided of Alaafin paying tribute to Benin.

12. Evidence provided of Alaafin asking Oba of Benin for army to help suppressed rebels.

13. Owo princes used to be trained at the Oba of Benin palace before they were sent back to rule over Owo.

14. Owo artworks are closely related to Benin artworks

15. In the past, Edo/Akure, Edo nekue, people roused to very prominent positions in Benin including the Iyase of Benin, second position to the Oba of Benin.

15. Benin had different relationships with various Yoruba tribes.

16. Benin have a well documented history since 1400 AD mostly in European archives that can't be fabricated.

17 Thousands of Benin artworks adores world museums acting as great ambassadors of black civilisation.

18. Current Oba of Lagos revealed during the anniversary of the coronation of the current Oba of Benin that Benin chiefs were sent to Lagos to train/help him with the traditions before ascending the Lagos throne.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by naxclimpsey(m): 7:02pm On Apr 12, 2020
MelesZenawi:

please where are they?

Not in Anambra state..It is just rumours. Anambra has captured all and everyone love the state..Igbo bu ofu ( Igbos are one).

We always say, come up with your republic and we will support you guys but always sabotaging our efforts is clear betrayal...

Whatever Bini wants today we will support them but they have to support our igbo biafra so that we can go.

What are friends and neighbors for. For instance from Benin to Onitsha is not even up to 1 hour..

why working against us.

No offense here, from ore to benin is less than 1 hr too
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by AreaFada2: 7:07pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

Fist of all, you didn't quote me. You made sure to carefully replace the "O" in my moniker with "0". Lol.

Moving on ... For you, "bigotry" against Binis refers to the the act of citing historical documents among other works of history (NOT MY OWNS WORDS) to demonstrate that it is time to crush the lies that you all have built in a while while everyone chose to ignore and remain quite. cheesy

Isn't that an interesting definition of bigotry??

I have actually being asked to ignore by some of our own. Just as is usually expected of Yorubas.

But guess what .... If I had done that, your laughable definition of "bigotry" wouldn't have been exposed.

You cited no historical document, no historian, no academic, no scholar. NOTHING!! Yet, somehow I am a bigot for doing so.

Continue your real bigotry!! grin grin grin grin
Cite no scholars? So you think this argument began yesterday here?

Why bother engaging people who believe they have monopoly over knowledge and history?
Let nobody stop you. Keep spewing Yoruba agenda to massage your people's ego.
I just want to state no mushroom scholars you will impresss Edo people.

Edo saw Yoruba agenda through the 1940s to 60s and left you on your own. It's you guys who keep dragging Benin into your tribal contraption and creating threads up and down.

Good luck to you.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by naxclimpsey(m): 7:14pm On Apr 12, 2020
gregyboy:

I will tell you one thing denouce the Oduduwa myth and ife myth first and tell me the true history of your people
Oduduwa was a political myth to unite all yorubas but it didnt work for the edos thats why we are constantly fighting it

If you realise it for your tribe you will still join the edo to fight it off

But dont be scared telm me the true history of your people

I have no problem with any fucking history tho but I believe the Yoruba race from the onset was controlled by the old Oyo empire. In European nations like the UK, they also fought intrastate wars. What I am saying in essence, Yoruba race as always been one from the beginning of time, United by origin and language.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by SilverSniper3: 7:19pm On Apr 12, 2020
To circumvent the banning bot, I just decided to attach some images of what I had tried to post.

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 12, 2020
naxclimpsey:

No offense here, from ore to benin is less than 1 hr too

Alright, no problem carry Benin and let peace reign.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 7:29pm On Apr 12, 2020
TAO11:

Whenever you admit to having anything to offer, then I will engage you.

But for now that you still insist that you have nothing to offer, I humbly ask that you crawl back in reverse mode into your creepy hole.

I understand that you're hurt. You will be fine.

Awww it hurts that u can’t change the unending truth about ur dull Yoruba history.
After all research about Africa has been done, the general conclusion arrived at by all scholars and historians was;

Benin was a great Kingdom and empire.. the longest surviving kingdom in present Nigeria area.
Oyo Kingdom was short lived.
Oduduwa migrated from Mecca
Ife was never an empire and it’s history is dark, more light they tried to shine on it the more dark it gets.
Nothing was known about Ife till the 19th century Twice Ife have been abandoned in ruins, in 18th and 19th centuries.
All of Eastern Yoruba and Lagos was under the rule of Benin Kingdom.

This is the only information anyone will forever find in archives of history not your made up tales.

Yorubas are presently doing well these days but in history they were useless.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by Moneywomen17(m): 7:30pm On Apr 12, 2020
davidnazee:

Isn’t the Ife story as narrated by Yoruba oral history too? All oral and myth with no evidence to back it up. Even your oral account are all short sentences and speculations..
and that’s why there is also inconsistency with the story. Now oduduwa is from oke-ora according to ife history. But his mythology after he was deified ascribe him to coming from the sky. Two separate account.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 7:33pm On Apr 12, 2020
SilverSniper3:
To circumvent the banning bot, I just decided to attach some images of what I had tried to post.

Thanks for providing a copy of the actual report.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by SilverSniper3: 7:39pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

Thanks for providing a copy of the actual report.

Sure, no problem.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by naxclimpsey(m): 7:42pm On Apr 12, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Alright, no problem carry Benin and let peace reign.

Wetin concern me, my brother we are living together here is from benin and nothing like a fight. Nigeria is one if we the youth use our senses
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 7:43pm On Apr 12, 2020
Moneywomen17:
and that’s why there is also inconsistency with the story. Now oduduwa is from oke-ora according to ife history. But his mythology after he was deified ascribe him to coming from the sky. Two separate account.

The Oke Ora story started some few years ago when the Yorubas realized 2 important facts.

1. The accounts of descent from the sky and trekking from Mecca are absurd
2. Oduduwa actually came from East of Ife

Since Benin is actually east of Ife making the Benin account more realistic and logical they came up with oke ora. Oke Ora wasn’t in existence during the time of oduduwa.

TAO is fighting a loosing battle. You can’t change history..
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by gregyboy(m): 7:53pm On Apr 12, 2020
samuk:

Summary of the thread so far.

1. It was generally agreed by debaters that Benin did have some form of colonial expansion into eastern Yoruba land.

2. Benin presence in Lagos as far back as 1603 was agreed by all, no dispute.

3. Oduduwa origin was heavily disputed with various accounts.

A. Oyo accounts says Oduduwa was from either the sky or mecca and the current Ooni descents from the lineage of shrine keeper. Ref. Johnson.

B. Ife account says Oduduwa was a native of Ife

C. Benin accounts says Oduduwa was a banished Benin prince, Ekaladerhan.

4. It was generally agreed that the Yorubas have not always had one history. They were various tribes that used to fight themselves, sometimes with the help of Benin army and guns.

5. The Benin/Ife connection was called into questions especially considering Ife may be younger than Benin.

6. Benin relationship with Nupe/Igala was examined.

7. No evidence was found of Benin/Ife relationship in the first four hundred years of recorded Benin history.

8. No human bones found in Orun Oba Ado site in Ife after excavation.

9. Link to Guinness book of world records showing Benin Wall to be the largest man made structure on planet earth, four times great wall of China, many times the great pyramids of Egypt was presented.

10. Benin civil war was discussed.

11. Evidence provided of Alaafin paying tribute to Benin.

12. Evidence provided of Alaafin asking Oba of Benin for army to help suppressed rebels.

13. Owo princes used to be trained at the Oba of Benin palace before they were sent back to rule over Owo.

14. Owo artworks are closely related to Benin artworks

15. In the past, Edo/Akure, Edo nekue, people roused to very prominent positions in Benin including the Iyase of Benin, second position to the Oba of Benin.

15. Benin had different relationships with various Yoruba tribes.

16. Benin have a well documented history since 1400 AD mostly in European archives that can't be fabricated.

17 Thousands of Benin artworks adores world museums acting as great ambassadors of black civilisation.

18. Current Oba of Lagos revealed during the anniversary of the coronation of the current Oba of Benin that Benin chiefs were sent to Lagos to train/help him with the traditions before ascending the Lagos throne.

Nice work on the summary

Please i need the article on the oyo paying tribute to benin

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (52) (Reply)

Buhari Oloto Is Dead / Naming Ceremony Of Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins With Memunat (Photos) / The "Mazi" Title In Igbo Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.