Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife - Culture (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife (39200 Views)

"Why Woman Cannot Be An Oba In Benin Kingdom" - Man Reveals With Photos / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 12:24am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

Why are you lying na? embarassed embarassed embarassed

Scholars already documented in the same article you're attaching oo that:

"Towards the end of the seventeenth century, a number of European observers noted that the Edo Kingdom of Benin had been racked for some years by civi war. One of the longest accounts, that of David van Nyendael, reported that as a result of this civil war, Benin City had been sacked and in his day ("1699 -1701" ) was reduced to a 'mere village'. Apparently beginning shortly before 1690, the civil war stretched on well into the eighteenth century."

Paula Ben-Amos Girshick and John Thornton, "Civil War in the Kingdom of Benin, 1689-1721: Continuity or Political Change?", Journal of African History, 42 (2001), pp.353-354.

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Your continuous engagement with Davidnazee is causing eastern Yoruba, the Ekiti and Akure people a great disservice, I don't think you are from this area.

How do you want the people from this area to feel with all these revelations.

These are probably part of their history they would have loved to forget and hide from their young ones and other tribes.

Other tribes are also reading all these revelations of decimation of eastern Yoruba.

All you can counter with is the rebellion of few Benin chiefs that were defeated.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by gregyboy(m): 12:27am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

Thank God you just admitted to have lied when you once boldly suggested that Benin is older than Ife.

I'm glad you just ate it back that there is no such result from Benin.

Moreover, the earlier an establishment of a group of people, the more the productive capacity of the group as compared to new comers.

Having said that, the dating result from Ife to at least 4th century BC specifically mentions that "many settlements" were already established in Ife at the time.

So, now remove the village picture that clogged your mind about Ife at that early date, and stamp it on Benin at that early date. Good boy! grin grin

Now regarding your merry-go-round imaginations, name me one fairy tale civilization and functioning society in Benin at any date (with evidence oo --- not audio like your lie about Guinness World Records grin), that has not being achieved by Ife centuries before.

Let's go!

Anyone how you spin it, Benin is baby. I'm waiting!!

Did you forget benin had street light around the palace ans inner towns at night
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 12:34am On Apr 14, 2020
samuk:

[s]Your continuous engagement with Davidnazee is causing eastern Yoruba, the Ekiti and Akure people a great disservice, I don't think you are from this area.

How do you want the people from this area to feel with all these revelations.

These are probably part of their history they would have loved to forget.

Other tribes are also reading all these revelations of decimation.

All you can counter with is the rebellion of few Benin chiefs that were defeated.[/s]

A few Benin chiefs that rendered Benin kingdom deaolate, sacked and turned into a mere village?? Wehdone sir! grin

Moreover, if you all want to talk about winning battles:

Then I have shown how Owo gave Benin a bloody nose once in the the 1500s (I think) in the clash when Iken ---- the top most Benin military commander lost his life.

I have shown how Benin was dealt with a second time during the reign of Olowo Osogboye outside the village of Ute.

I have shown how Otun-Ekiti dealt with Benin causing a number of Benin commanders to be slaughtered, which then force Benin to initiate a peace-pact.

In the final analysis in the light of these considerations and others, such imagined absolute control which you all have been deluded with by your edo-websites is only audio.

What seem to be ore realistic in that axis is the picture of a Benin which is powerful no doubt but which still faces some tough time and resistance from those it may seek to dominate in that axis.

It is this reality of the real-world I have been baptizing you all into, out from the world of fantastic delusions that have been painted for you all in Benin moonlight tales from a very early age.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 12:37am On Apr 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Did you forget benin had street light around the palace ans inner towns at night

Gosh!!! No "street light" c'mon. grin grin

It was Dapper that said all those nonsense that you all get excited about and which your edo websites regurgitated into your heads.

Guys, it's time for you all to stary living in the real-world.

Olfert Dapper never left his home country of Netherlands till he left this world.

What a pity!?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 12:37am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

A few Benin chiefs that rendered Benin kingdom deaolate, sacked and into a mere village?? Wehdone sir! grin

Moreover, if you all want to talj about wins:

Then I have shown how Owo dealt gave Benin a bloody nose once in the the 1500s (I think) in the clash when Iken ---- the top most Benin military commander lost his life.

I have shown how Benin was dealt with a second time during the reign of Olowo Osogboye outside the village of Ute.

I have shown how Otun-Ekiti dealt with Benin causing a number of Benin commanders to be slaughtered, which then force Benin to initiate a peace-pact.

In the final analysis in the light of these considerations and others, such imagined absolute control which you all have been deluded with by your edo-websites is only audio.

What seem to be ore realistic in that axis is the picture of a Benin which is powerful no doubt but which still faces some tough time and resistance from those it may seek to dominate in that axis.

It is thjs reality f the real world I have been baptizing you all into out from the world of fantastic delusion that have been painted for i Benin moonlight tales from a very early age.

Your account seems to be the audio here while the submissions of Davidnazee are the accounts of Yoruba writers themselves.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 12:40am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

It was Dapper that said all those nonsense that you all get excited about and which your edo websites regurgitated into your heads.

Guys, it's for you to live in tge real-world.

Dapper never left his home country of Netherlands till he left this world.

What a pity!?

Dapper quoted the works of other European who visited Benin the way you have been quoting your 1969 Ife discovery of some stones and dirt.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 12:44am On Apr 14, 2020
samuk:

Your account seems to be the audio here while the submissions of Davidnazee are the accounts of Yoruba writers themselves.

He showed how Benin won some battles along the axis where it seeks to exercise influence.

And I showed how those individually smaller kingdoms too on some occassion disgraced the bigger Benin.

It's simply a case of win some-loose some.

What's so difficult to get here if there is no strong delusions at work. grin

Haaa! Oranmiyan, na God go judge you oo /s grin grin grin grin For almost 1000 years, it's still very potent. grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 12:46am On Apr 14, 2020
samuk:

Dapper quoted the works of other European who visited Benin the way you have been quoting your 1969 Ife discovery of some stones and dirt.

Cite me one European work which Dapper quotes from, which says some of those nonsense that he says.

So we can check the work directly, otherwise your fantastic Benin world falls back to oral tradition.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 12:48am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

He showed how Benin won battles along the axis where it seeks to exercise influence.

And I showed how those individually smaller kingdoms too one some occassion disgraced the bigger Benin.

What's so difficult to get here if there is no strong delusions at work. grin

Haaa! Oranmiyan, na God go judge you oo /s grin grin grin grin For almost 1000 years, it's still very potent. grin grin grin

Benin were doing their destruction from the east while the Fulani were doing theirs from the North. Benin were introducing their own gods from the east, Fulani were conquering and introducing Islam from the North.

Believe me, I get all the angers
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 12:51am On Apr 14, 2020
samuk:

[s]Benin were doing their destruction from the east while the Fulani were doing theirs from the North, believe me, I get all the angers.[/s]

Okay, you couldn't muster an intelligent come-back to that comment?

Gotcha!!! grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 1:27am On Apr 14, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]Just like ur present Ooni is a serial divorcee.. A man that cant keep a woman.
What kind of Ooni is that?[/s]

Are you pained that the poor Edo lady was used and dumped?? grin

However, divorce still sounds better than engaging in a sororate marriage like your reigning Oba. grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 1:35am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

Cite me one European work which Dapper quotes from, which says some of those nonsense that he says.

So we can check the work directly, otherwise your fantastic Benin world falls back to oral tradition.

It’s ur jealousy for Benin that makes u disregard the work of Dapper. Dapper was informed by Europeans who actually visited Benin and lived there. Scholars accept Dapper’s work as accurate.

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by SilverSniper: 1:58am On Apr 14, 2020
Dapper did not write about street lights. Cyril Punch, who visited Benin City in the late nineteenth century, made note of some hand lamps that were in common use in Benin City at night: "The open compounds at night, full of people and lit up with these lamps, were very striking." He also mentioned tall metal lamps (not hand-held) placed at fixed locations and he makes a distinction between what he called "small standard lamps" and "large standard lamps". The latter he describes in this manner: "I have been struck by the large lamps in the compounds exciting so little remark. They were about 20 feet high and the receptacles for the oil and wick were about 4 feet in diameter. The stands were of wrought iron of good workmanship, and figures of toads, alligators, &c., were either applique or cast in the moulds and the bars hammered out to the required dimensions. These lamps were only alight on very big occasions." Richard F. Burton, who visited Benin City in the mid nineteenth century, stated that in the center of a square in the city he saw a "brass neptune" that was "planted upon a tall pole", which he said was used as a "reflector of a palm oil lamp." I don't see the relevance of Dapper there.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by SilverSniper: 2:08am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

Dapper's work has been analyzed extensively by the historian Adam Jones. Jones actually published an annotated English translation of the section of Dapper's book that discusses Benin and in the introduction he discusses Dapper's sources.

Adam Jones - Olfert Dapper's Description of Benin (1998)

https://books.google.com/books?id=qW5jNAAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:%22Olfert+Dapper%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjv4b3N3OboAhXFJzQIHWWGDPMQ6AEwAnoECAAQAQ

Also, Jones published a translation of a mid-seventeenth century Dutch manuscript that Dapper drew upon for some of his information on Benin in 1995

Adam Jones - West Africa in the mid-seventeenth century: an anonymous Dutch manuscript (1995)

https://books.google.com/books?id=KR8uAQAAIAAJ&q=bibliogroup:%22African+historical+sources%22&dq=bibliogroup:%22African+historical+sources%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiC3oTv3OboAhUUNn0KHaGzBB44ChDoATACegQIABAC

In the footnotes to his translation of the manuscript he notes that multiple statements about Benin from that earlier manuscript were copied by Dapper and incorporated in his book in the section where he discusses Benin.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 2:08am On Apr 14, 2020
davidnazee:

It’s ur jealousy for Benin that makes u disregard the work of Dapper. Dapper was informed by Europeans who actually visited Benin and lived there. Scholars accept Dapper’s work as accurate.

That's the point:

(1) Dapper was not an eyewitness.

(2) And he collected his not from records of eyewitnesses.

(3) It all falls back therefore to oral tradition.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 2:36am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

That's the point:

(1) Dapper was not an eyewitness.

(2) And he collected his not from records of eyewitnesses.

(3) It all falls back therefore to oral tradition.

Wow, So u can’t read or can’t comprehend simple English?

Dapper collected written accounts of eye witnesses.. some of these eye witnesses also published their own accounts of Benin as they saw it during their visits and stay... how can u call that oral tradition?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 2:39am On Apr 14, 2020
SilverSniper:

Dapper's work has been analyzed extensively by the historian Adam Jones. Jones actually published an annotated English translation of the section of Dapper's book that discusses Benin and in the introduction he discusses Dapper's sources.

Adam Jones - Olfert Dapper's Description of Benin (1998)

https://books.google.com/books?id=qW5jNAAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:%22Olfert+Dapper%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjv4b3N3OboAhXFJzQIHWWGDPMQ6AEwAnoECAAQAQ

Also, Jones published a translation of a mid-seventeenth century Dutch manuscript that Dapper drew upon for some of his information on Benin in 1995.

Adam Jones - West Africa in the mid-seventeenth century: an anonymous Dutch manuscript (1995)

https://books.google.com/books?id=KR8uAQAAIAAJ&q=bibliogroup:%22African+historical+sources%22&dq=bibliogroup:%22African+historical+sources%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiC3oTv3OboAhUUNn0KHaGzBB44ChDoATACegQIABAC

In the footnotes to his translation of the manuscript he notes that multiple statements about Benin from that earlier manuscript were copied by Dapper and incorporated in his book in the section where he discusses Benin.

The specific contention I have with his work is his grandiose descriptions -- I'm not necessarily saying he is wrong if he says things like Benin has a king, etc.

Long before Adam Jones (1995), notice what is said about his grandiose descriptions:

"In the seventeenth century, the admirable Dapper gave his contemporaries a glowing account of the greatness of the King of Benin, of his capital surrounded by a high wall over which the approaching travelers saw many towers and spires, and of his army a hundred thousand strong, including numerous horsemen. Nyendale, the Dutchman, who visited Benin City in the opening year of the eighteenth century, gives details of the place which it is difficult to reconcile with the account of more recent travelers who could find no trace of those magnificent streets "prodigious long and broad" of which the Dutchman tells us, although some allowance must be made for the different standards which a couple of centuries ago were applied in such matters. In quite recent times Europeans have occasionally penetrated to the Benin capitals, traders for the most part, or more rarely officials of the Niger Coast Protectorate, such as were the victims of the recent massacre.
But, from what we do know of Benin and its people, it can scarcely be described as a desirable place of residence."

Saturday Review of Politics, Literature, Science and Art, Volume 83 (Jan 1897), pp 81-82.

Those are the specific aspects of his accounts I noted were grandiose and unrealistic. He obviously wouldn't have misrepresented every basic detail.

davidnazee:

Wow, So u can’t read or can’t comprehend simple English?

Dapper collected written accounts of eye witnesses.. some of these eye witnesses also published their own accounts of Benin as they saw it during their visits and stay... how can u call that oral tradition?

I am still waiting for the specific written account from which Dapper specifically got his "street lights" and all other imaginations.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by SilverSniper: 3:12am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

The specific contention I have with his work is his grandiose descriptions -- I'm not necessarily saying he is wrong if he says things like Benin has a king, etc.

Long before Adam Jones (1995), notice what is aid about his grandiose descriptions:

In the seventeenth century, the admirable Dapper gave his contemporaries a glowing account of the greatness of the King of Benin, of his capital surrounded by a high wall over which the approaching travelers saw many towers and spires, and of his army a hundred thousand strong, including numerous horsemen. Nyendale, the Dutchman, who visited Benin City in the opening year of the eighteenth century, gives details of the place which it is difficult to reconcile with the account of more recent travelers who could find no trace of those magnificent streets "prodigious long and broad" of which the Dutchman tells us, although some allowance must be made for the different standards which a couple of centuries ago were applied in such matters. In quite recent times Europeans have occasionally penetrated to the Benin capitals, traders for the most part, or more rarely officials of the Niger Coast Protectorate, such as were the victims of the recent massacre.
But, from what we do know of Benin and its people, it can scarcely be described as a desirable place of residence.

Saturday Review of Politics, Literature, Science and Art, Volume 83 (Jan 1897), pp 81-82.

Those are the specific aspects of his accounts I noted were grandiose and unrealistic. He obviously wouldn't misrepresented every basic detail.

The problem with this argument is that the person who authored that paragraph (in 1897) in that weekly newspaper that you have cited, had absolutely no idea, in 1897, about the numerous other contemporary corroborating accounts from eyewitnesses that strongly affirm Dapper's account about the "the greatness of the King of Benin, of his capital". Apart from the fact that Derick Ruiters' earlier eyewitness account (published in 1602 in a book about west Africa by Pieter de Marees) of the streets, the palace, and other aspects of Benin line up perfectly with aspects of Dapper's later account, there is also the fact that the accounts of both a Spanish priest (cited and translated in the appendix of Alan Ryder's 1969 book about Benin) who visited Benin, and the testimony of a later Portuguese ship captain (Lourenço Pinto) who visited Benin (1693) also strongly affirm and agree with multiple aspects of Dapper's account. Actually, the article you keep referring to by Paula Ben-Amos Girshick and John Thornton, is very explicit, on p. 358, about the fact that multiple people from different countries who did actually visit Benin saw pretty much the same kinds of things that Dapper described.

You know that van Nyendael's account describing a capital city wrecked by civil war, in a period when the state has suffered a severe temporary defeat by the rebel army (led by the former commander of the royal army and his forces), is not going to be a positive account, so I am not sure how the writer's allusion to van Nyendael's account about a temporary situation is somehow proof that the many other earlier accounts are wrong. In any case, after the civil war was resolved in the 1720s, later French visitors to Benin in the late 1700s, such as J.F. Landolphe, or Pierre Labarthe did find a large capital city and a large army there and wrote about it; the article by Ben-Amos Girshick and Thornton even cites Labarthe at the end.

What I will agree with is that numbers such as "100,000" (or more) in historical accounts of pre-modern (pre-modern meaning something like before the last few centuries, the exact cut-off dates for what separates "modern" from "medieval" and "ancient" are often arbitrary) armies in both European or Arabic sources of any state, except in certain special cases, are often exaggerations. But the meaning that historians usually take from such descriptions, when other aspects of such descriptions are credible, is that the people giving such accounts are trying to describe a state with a very large army, lots of power, etc. If you object to "100,000" or similarly large numbers being taken literally, that is fine, although that objection should apply consistently to all the powerful states in the west African region that were described as having such numbers of soldiers by outside visitors. I don't think historians focus too much on the specific number when talking about total army sizes (rather than the numbers of soldiers present at specific battles, which is a different thing) of a state in those older historical accounts so much as the meaning the account was trying to convey about the power of the state.

The mention of "more recent travelers" not finding the same grandeur or magnificence of visitors of earlier centuries is not an argument against the validity of the accounts of earlier centuries, since Benin's power had declined in those times (mid to late 19th century), relative to what it had been in the past, due to internal conflicts, and apparently, changes in trade. European visitors to Oyo in the early 19th century did not find the same kind of power or prosperity there that had existed in earlier centuries but this does not mean the earlier accounts about Oyo were false in that case either.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 3:23am On Apr 14, 2020
SilverSniper:

The problem with this argument is that the person who authored that paragraph (in 1897) in that weekly newspaper that you have cited, had absolutely no idea, in 1897, about the numerous other contemporary corroborating accounts from eyewitnesses that strongly affirm Dapper's account about the "the greatness of the King of Benin, of his capital". Apart from the fact that Derick Ruiters' earlier eyewitness account (published in 1602 in a book about west Africa by Pieter de Marees) of the streets, the palace, and other aspects of Benin line up perfectly with aspects of Dapper's later account, there is also the fact that the accounts of both a Spanish priest (cited and translated in the appendix of Alan Ryder's 1969 book about Benin) who visited Benin, and the testimony of a later Portuguese ship captain (Lourenço Pinto) who visited Benin (1693) also strongly affirm and agree with multiple aspects of Dapper's account. Actually, the article you keep referring to by Paula Ben-Amos Girshick and John Thornton, is very explicit, on p. 358, about the fact that multiple people from different countries who did actually visit Benin saw pretty much the same kinds of things that Dapper described.

You know that van Nyendael's account describing a capital city wrecked by civil war, in a period when the state which has suffered a severe temporary defeat by the rebel army (led by the former commander of the royal army and his forces), is not going to be a positive account, so I am not sure how the writer's allusion to van Nyendael's account about a temporary situation is somehow proof that the many other earlier accounts are wrong. In any case, after the civil war was resolved in the 1720s, later French visitors to Benin in the late 1700s, such as J.F. Landolphe, or Pierre Labarthe did find a large capital city and a large army there and wrote about it; the article by Ben-Amos Girshick and Thornton even cites Labarthe at the end.

What I will agree with is that numbers such as "100,000" (or more) in historical accounts of pre-modern (pre-modern meaning something like before the last few centuries, the exact cut-off dates for what separates "modern" from "medieval" and "ancient" are often arbitrary) armies in both European or Arabic sources of any state, except in certain special cases, are often exaggerations. But the meaning that historians usually take from such descriptions, when other aspects of such descriptions are credible, is that the people giving such accounts are trying to describe a state with a very large army, lots of power, etc. If you object to "100,000" or similarly large numbers being taken literally, that is fine, although that objection should apply consistently to all the powerful states in the west African region that were described as having such numbers of soldiers by outside visitors. I don't think historians focus too much on the specific number when talking about total army sizes (rather than the numbers of soldiers present at specific battles, which is a different thing) of a state in those older historical accounts so much as the meaning the account was trying to convey about the power of the state.

Thank you for this very informative piece.
However I don’t agree that the figure of 100,000 was an exaggeration.. the description says that the Oba of Benin had a standing army of about 20,000 and if the need arises (if there was a big war) he can raise an army of 100,000.. I believe an empire as large as Benin (just like other great empires) can actually raise an army of 100,000 fighters if need be.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by SilverSniper: 3:33am On Apr 14, 2020
davidnazee:

Thank you for this very informative piece.
However I don’t agree that the figure of 100,000 was an exaggeration.. the description says that the Oba of Benin had a standing army of about 20,000 and if the need arises (if there was a big war) he can raise an army of 100,000.. I believe an empire as large as Benin (just like other great empires) can actually raise an army of 100,000 fighters if need be.

I am not saying that pre-modern armies of empires (whether in west Africa or elsewhere in the world) could not really have a total army size (for an entire state, rather than assembled in a single battle) of 100,000 or more. I just think that there are multiple cases in history where such numbers are likely to be exaggerations. I can't make any definitive statement about army sizes though and I can understand why you might disagree.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 4:04am On Apr 14, 2020
SilverSniper:

You know that van Nyendael's account describing a capital city wrecked by civil war, in a period when the state has suffered a severe temporary defeat by the rebel army (led by the former commander of the royal army and his forces), is not going to be a positive account, so I am not sure how the writer's allusion to van Nyendael's account about a temporary situation is somehow proof that the many other earlier accounts are wrong. In any case, after the civil war was resolved in the 1720s, later French visitors to Benin in the late 1700s, such as J.F. Landolphe, or Pierre Labarthe did find a large capital city and a large army there and wrote about it; the article by Ben-Amos Girshick and Thornton even cites Labarthe at the end.

The mention of "more recent travelers" not finding the same grandeur or magnificence of visitors of earlier centuries is not an argument against the validity of the accounts of earlier centuries, since Benin's power had declined in those times (mid to late 19th century) due to internal conflicts, and apparently, changes in trade. European visitors to Oyo in the early 19th century did not find the same kind of power or prosperity there that had existed in earlier centuries but this does not mean the earlier accounts about Oyo were false in that case either.

You seem to have missed what my specific contention in Dapper's description was, or you chose to avoid it altogether.

Notice that I have highlighted certain aspects of your comment here in bold just to draw your attention to the strawman.

You've argued that certain earlier eyewitness accounts align "pretty much" with aspects of Dapper's remote account.

Yes, if you had paid a closer attention to my foregoing reply, then you would have noticed that certain aspects of Dapper's accounts (such as the greatness of Benin's king and capital, a beautiful palace, amongst other relatively vague and general attributes) are already implied therein to be true and obvious. These are the obvious standard and expection of any dominant kingdom at the time.

My specific contention in relation to which I brought up Dapper (if you care to trace back my comment in that regard) are some specific grandiose descriptions such as "street lights" (as already mentioned on this thread), "shiny walls", etc. --- we've all heard different kinds of these exaggerations at different times.

Now, having zoomed in even more closely on my contentions, can you now direct me to an earlier eyewitness account than Dapper's --- from which Dapper's may have derived --- which contains some or more of these specifics??

And if yes, please quote me the words with detailed refencing. Thanks!

Cheers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 4:12am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

You seem to have missed what my specific contention in Dapper's description was, or you chose to avoid it altogether.

Notice that I have highlighted certain aspects of your comment here in bold just to draw your attention to the strawman.

You've argued that certain earlier eyewitness accounts align "pretty much" with aspects of Dapper's remote account.

Yes, if you had paid a closer attention to my foregoing reply, then you would have noticed that certain aspects of Dapper's accounts (such as the greatness of Benin's king and capital, a beautiful palace, amongst other relatively vague and general attributes) are already implied therein to be true and obvious. These are the obvious standard and expection of any dominant kingdom at the time.

My specific contention in relation to which I brought up Dapper (if you care to trace back my comment in that regard) are some specific grandiose descriptions such as "street lights" (as already mentioned on this thread), "shiny walls", etc. --- we've all heard different kinds of these exaggerations at different times.

Now, having zoomed in even more closely on my contentions, can you now direct me to an earlier eyewitness account than Dapper's --- from which Dapper's may have derived --- which contains some or more of these specifics??

Cheers!

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 4:18am On Apr 14, 2020
davidnazee:

Nothing of the kinds I requested is in your attachment.

That's perhaps why you didn't bother highlighting anything, or quote statements.

In sum, your attachment contains same general things that I know (and that is expected) about other great kingdoms.

You've changed for the better. You started reading too. Thanks to yours truly! Keep it civil, professional and academic like this, you wil enjoy it.

Cheers!

SilverSniper if you could please email me a copy of Ryder(1969) I will appreciate. I've been looking for it, and I noticed you mentioned it somewhere in one of your comments. Thanks!

Please send it to TAO.11@yahoo.com
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by SilverSniper: 4:39am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

Cheers!

As I said above, Dapper did not mention street lights. If there is some suggestion that he did, it is incorrect. He does not claim they had street lights in his account. Tall metal lamps placed at fixed positions in compounds and at a specific place in a square in the city are mentioned in mid and late 19th century British accounts, but nothing about "street lights" is in Dapper's account.

The newspaper you quoted was not criticizing there being an absence of street lights in the Benin City of the late 19th century, but just disputing the general picture conveyed by Dapper. That person writing in 1897 would have had no expectation that there would have been such things (street lights) on the basis of anything Dapper wrote, because Dapper did not mention street lights.

The "shiny walls" refer to earthen walls polished to a high degree so that they had a lustrous appearance. This appearance of the walls of the buildings in the capital are mentioned in the 1651 eye witness description of a Spanish priest, translated by Ryder and included as an appendix to his 1969 book on Benin. In that account, in Ryder's translation (p. 313 of Benin and the Europeans) the priest states that the walls of the houses are made of red clay and are "so smooth that they seem to be painted or polished". Later accounts by British visitors give a similar impression. James Fawckner, a British ship captain who visited Benin described a polished earthen bench he saw in a compound in Benin as looking "like marble":

"In the centre is a bench formed of brown clay, which, by frequent rubbing with a piece of cocoa-nut shell and wet cloths, has received a polish, and when dry looks like marble." - Narrative of Captain James Fawckner's Travels on the Coast of Benin, West Africa (1837), p. 33

Another mention of this specific kind of polishing of earthen architecture is this statement by Alan Maxwell Boisragon, one of the survivors of the "Benin massacre", who described a building in Ughoton in a similar manner:

"The chief of Gwatto's house, where we slept that night, was very much superior, the walls, which were very thick, being polished till they were nearly as smooth and shiny as glass." - Alan Boisragon, The Benin Massacre (1897), p. 81

Alan Boisragon was not writing a "positive' or "grandiose" account of the Benin kingdom, obviously, but was actually critical of it and could not be accused of trying to engage in exaggerated praise of Benin, for obvious reasons. He did not like Benin or its people - he was nearly killed by them afterall. There is nothing about mentioning shiny walls that makes a description grandiose. There was a traditional technique to polish earthen walls in certain parts of southern Nigeria to a very great degree in order give them a lustrous, aesthetically appealing appearance and the perception by some Europeans of Benin's particular application of such a technique to buildings in the kingdom was that it made the walls "shine".
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by SilverSniper: 4:43am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:
SilverSniper if you could please email me a copy of Ryder(1969) I will appreciate. I've been looking for it, and I noticed you mentioned it somewhere in one of your comments. Thanks!

Ryder's book Benin and the Europeans (1969) is a book of about 370 pages, and it has not been digitized. I have a physical copy of the book; I do not have it in digital format and I do not think anyone does, yet. You can probably obtain it from a university library - I am certain that several university libraries in Nigeria, and outside of Nigeria, would have the book (you can use the worldcat.org site to look it up to find the closest library that has it).
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 4:46am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

Nothing of the kinds I requested is in your attachment.

That's perhaps why you didn't bother highlighting anything, or quote statements.

In sum, your attachment contains same general things that I know (and that is expected) about other great kingdoms.

You've changed for the better. You started reading too. Thanks to yours truly! Keep it civil, professional and academic like this, you wil enjoy it.

Cheers!

Started reading indeed lol...
anyways my attachment contains a description of Benin city by different European visitors to benin who compared it to their cities in Europe.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 5:27am On Apr 14, 2020
SilverSniper:

Ryder's book Benin and the Europeans (1969) is a book of about 370 pages, and it has not been digitized. I have a physical copy of the book; I do not have it in digital format and I do not think anyone does, yet. You can probably obtain it from a university library - I am certain that several university libraries in Nigeria, and outside of Nigeria, would have the book (you can use the worldcat.org site to look it up to find the closest library that has it).

I thought as much. I've searched everywhere I can in vain.

Thanks!
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 6:21am On Apr 14, 2020
SilverSniper:

As I said above, Dapper did not mention street lights. If there is some suggestion that he did, it is incorrect. He does not claim they had street lights in his account. Tall metal lamps placed at fixed positions in compounds and at a specific place in a square in the city are mentioned in mid and late 19th century British accounts, but nothing about "street lights" is in Dapper's account.

The newspaper you quoted was not criticizing there being an absence of street lights in the Benin City of the late 19th century, but just disputing the general picture conveyed by Dapper. That person writing in 1897 would have had no expectation that there would have been such things (street lights) on the basis of anything Dapper wrote, because Dapper did not mention street lights.

The "shiny walls" refer to earthen walls polished to a high degree so that they had a lustrous appearance. This appearance of the walls of the buildings in the capital are mentioned in the 1651 eye witness description of a Spanish priest, translated by Ryder and included as an appendix to his 1969 book on Benin. In that account, in Ryder's translation (p. 313 of Benin and the Europeans) the priest states that the walls of the houses are made of red clay and are "so smooth that they seem to be painted or polished". Later accounts by British visitors give a similar impression. James Fawckner, a British ship captain who visited Benin described a polished earthen bench he saw in a compound in Benin as looking "like marble":

"In the centre is a bench formed of brown clay, which, by frequent rubbing with a piece of cocoa-nut shell and wet cloths, has received a polish, and when dry looks like marble." - Narrative of Captain James Fawckner's Travels on the Coast of Benin, West Africa (1837), p. 33

Another mention of this specific kind of polishing of earthen architecture is this statement by Alan Maxwell Boisragon, one of the survivors of the "Benin massacre", who described a building in Ughoton in a similar manner:

"The chief of Gwatto's house, where we slept that night, was very much superior, the walls, which were very thick, being polished till they were nearly as smooth and shiny as glass." - Alan Boisragon, The Benin Massacre (1897), p. 81

Alan Boisragon was not writing a "positive' or "grandiose" account of the Benin kingdom, obviously, but was actually critical of it and could not be accused of trying to engage in exaggerated praise of Benin, for obvious reasons. He did not like Benin or its people - he was nearly killed by them afterall. There is nothing about mentioning shiny walls that makes a description grandiose. There was a traditional technique to polish earthen walls in certain parts of southern Nigeria to a very great degree in order give them a lustrous, aesthetically appealing appearance and the perception by some Europeans of Benin's particular application of such a technique to buildings in the kingdom was that it made the walls "shine".

Thanks for addressing the two specifics I mentioned, with so much clarifying details that puts things in their proper contexts.

I am particularly glad to see that you didn't mince words in joinimg me to debunk the imaginary idea of "street lights" which is oft-repeated in Benin apologetics, and which as may have been seen is mentioned on this same thread.

My objective with all these is to make some (if not all) of these boys to begin living in the real world and escape the fairytale world of an imaginary Benin kingdom which they have been bombarded with unfairly.

Regarding the "shiny walls", I have always considered this too to be another grandiose idea considering the similar way in which it is often put in Benin apologetics.

The specific imagery they force down is of a city wall made of some "special" materials other than clay.

In other words, they give the deceptive and highly fantastic impression of some kind of different primary component from what is obtainable in any other ancient 'Nigeria' walled-city.

Your clarification in this regards (with reference) puts things in the proper perspective --- thus making it precisely clear that te material is the same --- clay, but that the emphasis is simply on the fact the the structure is thoroughly smotheened out after construction.

Thanks for the clarification and the references.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 7:07am On Apr 14, 2020
davidnazee:

Started reading indeed lol...
anyways my attachment contains a description of Benin city by different European visitors to benin who compared it to their cities in Europe.

Thanks for admitting that your attachment answers nothing of my questions

Furthermore, the Europeans' comparison (in whatever light), of their newly arrived tour destination, with their homeland from which they've just departed is about the most natural thing to do.

I am not only schocked that you think such comparison is what makes Benin great, I am also shocked that you that you assume such comparison is unique to Benin.

No, that's a trio of inferiority complex, delusions of grandeur, and pure ignorance there, davidnazee. You should do better than that.

Having said that, I assume you love to know if the "white man" has any "great" thing to say about Yorubaland in those early centuries.

I will provide you with some astonishing "white man's" (lol) eye-witness testimonies of great telltale about Yoruba land.

Telltales which will not only highlight Yorubas magnificence; which will not only compare scenes in Yorubaland with parts of Europe; but which will infact indicates to you how transcendent certain aspects of Yoruba socio-political organization is over and above what is obtainable anywhere in Africa, and anywhere in Europe at the time.

Remind me much later today to provide the quotes and references. I have to leave now, I'm way way past bed time.

Cheers!
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by gregyboy(m): 7:13am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

Guys, it's time for you all to stary living in the real-world.

Olfert Dapper never left his home country of Netherlands till he left this world.

What a pity!?

Nonsense

All i see is hate

I see you have so studied benin historian and even thier historians that you now know who never left his home

You know i dont adore mere claims you have to go further to covince me on this if not you need slap

TAO11 you have a benin pyscho syndrome i was the first to notice it before my other colleagues bagan to also see it too,

We conqured lagos nigga wont agree you will twist it twist it so the conquering we now be looking like just a migration

This is what obsession causes you need rehabilitation my friend

As soon as you notice no connection btw benin and ife you bagan to pant, you began to also disagree there must be a connection

Pyschological obsession
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 7:17am On Apr 14, 2020
gregyboy:

[s]Nonsense

All i see is hate

I see you have so studied benin historian and even thier historians that you now know who never left his home

You know i dont adore mere claims you have to go further to covince me on this if not you need slap

TAO11 you have a benin pyscho syndrome [/b]i was the first to notice it before my colleagues bagan to see it too,

We conqured lagos nigga wont agree you will twist it twist it so the conquering we now be looking like migration

This is what beyond obsession you need rehabilitation

As soon as you notice no connection btw benin and ife you bagan to pant and you began to also disagree there must be a connection

[b]Pyschological obsession[/s]

I refuse to be dragged back! Read all the comments so far!

Also, read up on Olfert Dapper's biography first to verify what I said about his permanence in the Netherlands.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by gregyboy(m): 7:22am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

Thanks for admitting that your attachment answers nothing of my questions

Furthermore, the Europeans' comparison (in whatever light), of their newly arrived tour destination, with their homeland from which they've just departed is about the most natural thing to do.

I am not only schocked that you think such comparison is what makes Benin great, I am also shocked that you that you assume such comparison is unique to Benin.

No, that's a trio of inferiority complex, delusions of grandeur, and pure ignorance there, davidnazee. You should do better than that.

Having said that, I assume you love to know if the "white man" has any "great" thing to say about Yorubaland in those early centuries.

I will provide you with some astonishing "white man's" (lol) eye-witness testimonies of great telltale about Yoruba land.

Telltales which will not only highlight Yorubas magnificence; which will not only compare scenes in Yorubaland with parts of Europe; but which will infact indicates to you how transcendent certain aspects of Yoruba socio-political organization is over and above what is obtainable anywhere in Africa, and anywhere in Europe at the time.

Remind me much later today to provide the quotes and references. I have to leave now, I'm way way past bed time.

Cheers!

We are waiting i guess the author said so in this present century to spice up his works so that yorubas like you will feel aroused when reading

Lol grin

Those are the quotes that makes yoruba lazy

You guys are the problem we have in this country
Always clingy to the north just to wipe thier ass so they won't be on thier bad side

"Yoruba people please man up the fulanis are coming"

Who made that quote....

That quote was said to palddle away the useless history your fathers made so as not to look inferior in the eyes of the benins that quote was emerged as a consoler

TAO11, i see the quote as irrelevant because it calls for mockery instead of your assumed praise

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (52) (Reply)

Stuart Symington In Traditional Attire To Visit Emir Sanusi / Yorubas Are The Most Educated Tribe In Nigeria / Names Of God In Yoruba Language (with English Subtitles)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.