Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,450 members, 7,781,304 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:05 PM

Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience (108199 Views)

How COVID-19 Dead Bodies Are Buried By NCDC Officials (Video) / 12 New COVID-19 Cases Confirmed By NCDC, Total Now 151 / My Experience Trying To Get Tested For Covid-19 In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Bianda24: 10:49pm On Mar 29, 2020
SinisterX:
Coronavirus: A Facebook User’s Experience Of Getting Tested In Abuja

ATTENTION: PRESIDENCY & FED. MINISTRY OF HEALTH

To tell you the truth, NCDC can't do anything for you because they are not ready.
All this PR they are doing they are assuming people will not try that's why.
On Wednesday (25/03/2020) I and a colleague of mine decided we want to be sure of our status before going into #selfisolation.

So we went through the following steps

1. We called the toll free line and after all the normal recorded stories, when we chose to speak to an agent they end the call.

2. We went to University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada, they told us they don't do testing there, that the hospital is only an isolation center. They refer us back to NCDC office in town, told us that's where testing lab is.

3. We drove to NCDC office at Jabi. There are two NCDC offices there in close proximity. The first office told us they don't do testing but they directed us to the second office saying that's where testing is handled.

4. The second office too absolved themselves of that responsibility and directed us to NCDC National Reference Laboratory, Gaduwa.

5. We visited the NCDC NRL. On getting there, the security at the gate informed us that a lot of people were there too earlier in the day and were turned away. That they don't do testing for individuals unless your state took your sample and submit to them.

6.They refer us to a circular posted at the gate and told us to contact the FCT Epidemiology team lead on COVID-19.

7. When I called him I introduced myself by name and then asked him if he's the FCT team lead on this issue. He answered yes. I then asked him how do I go about getting tested. He asked who are you? Who gave you my number? I told him I'm an Abuja resident and his number is on a circular at the NCDC office. He told us he doesn't know. He said we should go to NCDC. I told him but they referred us to you. He was silent. I then asked him to advise us. He told us to go to "National Health Disease Control" which doesn't exist.

I will send a copy of the circular to this forum.

Obviously they are doing selective testing which is dangerous.

It means a lot of people might have been infected already but for lack of testing they are moving about infecting others.

While the information from the official channels are saying people are not coming forth, the truth is that people are going but are been turned away.

And I know because I was turned away first hand.

It also tells you that either the NCDC are lying to us or they are not coordinated at all. How will you explain three branches of the office each denying responsibility and pointing us to the next instead of just explaining to us the laid down procedures by the NCDC

https://m.facebook.com/673827759324224/posts/3897292313644403/
I know it will come to dis. Nigeria is a zoo, I am very sure of this. My advice is that Stay Safe because Nigeria Government has nothing to offer

1 Like

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by TalkBoutIt: 10:49pm On Mar 29, 2020
Bollocks!!!!!! Germany alone does half a million COVID-19 tests weekly with a population of just above 80 million people, the story about testing kits bring limited us complete nonsense....how would Nigeria not have at least 50,000 test kits on standby?? Is it expensive? At least I know a ventilator cost more than $25,000, and Nigeria as a country don't got 1000 ventilators. Is this a country? Why are you defending mediocrity
God
JamParkMe:
That person seeking a test right now is an unserious fellow. They are only testing those with symptoms such as fever, cough and body aches who may have been exposed to an infected person. There are very limited number of testing kits to go around, so yes of course screening is selective. Even in America and Europe, they are only testing people with symptoms, so why did your friend think he can just get tested like that?

7 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by abbey621(m): 10:49pm On Mar 29, 2020
My advice to most people is to limit exposure to other people and take anti-malaria drugs containing chloroquine at least once. If you continue to rely on this useless government, you are on a long thing. You should know by now that the life of a cow is more important to them than yours, so be wise!

3 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by mofedamijo(m): 10:50pm On Mar 29, 2020
I don't know why Nigerians feel they are always the only one facing some issues, read me clearly, there are not enough testing kits all over the world, INCLUDING U.S.A and the U.K, go to any U.K blog, news site, and read thousands of comments about lack of testing kit, as a matter of fact, if U.S and U.K should carry out full test, i can tell you they will have massive massive casualties, this is a global crisis, the NDCD or whatever can't do much, its a global problem.

Oga the United States just took delivery of testing kits yesterday, yet they said the kits can't even test Newyork city alone, let alone the whole of Newyork then the whole U.S, no kits available. Demand is super higher than supply.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Nobody: 10:50pm On Mar 29, 2020
Why am I not surprised? I knew this is what it will come down to. These people should be ashamed of themselves. This is a national emergency and they're still carrying on with "who you know".

What a mess
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Stmiceel(m): 10:50pm On Mar 29, 2020
If they refuse to test you don't worry. But immediately you see symptoms go back to where they rejected you. Infect them with the virus simple.

I'm already in self isolation but they way body dey do me here. I don't want to have a negative feeling.

I'm very close to Lagos. I have had contact with someone living around airport in Lagos.
He has visited like four times now.

I don't want to be negative.

If I call the toll free number and they are talking nonsense, I will roll out straight.
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by johnmattew: 10:50pm On Mar 29, 2020
DropsMic:
No surprise here.

The cases in Africa are low because we don't have enough testing kits.

When the virus was yet to get into Africa instead of our leaders to do the right thing they were busy forming we can handle it.

Now see our life.

The virus has crippled our economy
It has crippled our health system
The few doctors we have are overworked (some are in hiding)
Everyone is clueless including the president

Africa as a continent just tire me.
what's ur point?.... testing is a problem even in America

USA economy has crumbled....the world is on recession....the health sectors of G8 countries are overworked and insufficient...some Italian doctors and nurses are committing suicide..even America is begging for doctors

don't make it an African issue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by thegloor: 10:50pm On Mar 29, 2020
Cmanforall:
OP saying they are doing selective screening is right.
Is selective screening appropriate in this kind of situation? YES.

Should they use individual's economic or social status for screening? NO!

Why are they (NCDC) doing it this way?
I don't know.

WHO says TEST TEST TEST.
Don't wait for symptoms

1 Like

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by InvertedHammer: 10:50pm On Mar 29, 2020
/
You cannot just walk in and get tested. There are not enough resources for that. But then NCDC should have information available instead of passing the buck.

I already know that some of the officials are already "eyeing" the latest SUV to buy with the funds donated to the Agency.

\

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by darealez(m): 10:51pm On Mar 29, 2020
JamParkMe:
That person seeking a test right now is an unserious fellow. They are only testing those with symptoms such as fever, cough and body aches who may have been exposed to an infected person. There are very limited number of testing kits to go around, so yes of course screening is selective. Even in America and Europe, they are only testing people with symptoms, so why did your friend think he can just get tested like that?

Did you know Chioma Davido tested positive without symptoms? Asymptomatic patients are transmitters too... Nigera be careful, na express you dey go!!!

4 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by JamParkMe: 10:51pm On Mar 29, 2020
Geofavor:

So, until everyone starts showing the symptoms (and have possibly gotten the virus) before they start testing us?

Absolutely. Restrict testing to only those displaying symptoms while supply is limited and then once there are enough testing kits, ramp up testing. Right now, the whole world is fighting and vying to get their hands on the same limted supplies of testing kits, ventilators, N95 masks, gowns, etc. Think about that, there isn't an unlimited supply of this stuff neither is there a magic wand one can wave to make it available to all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 29, 2020
As of today, the test kits cost 300 pounds. That’s over 130k before naira was devalued. This country even though they are foolishly buying Toyota camrys is stone broke.

It is only the well connected and those showing advanced symptoms who will have access to the kits. Which explains our low numbers.

The only hope is that those low cost kits in the news are viable and can be produced quickly. Outside of that OYO

3 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Geofavor(m): 10:52pm On Mar 29, 2020
TalkBoutIt:
Bollocks!!!!!! Germany alone does half a million COVID-19 tests weekly with a population of just above 80 million people, the story about testing kits bring limited us complete nonsense....how would Nigeria not have at least 50,000 test kits on standby?? Is it expensive? At least I know a ventilator cost more than $25,000, and Nigeria as a country don't got 1000 ventilators. Is this a country? Why are you defending mediocrity
God
Don't mind him

1 Like

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by mofedamijo(m): 10:52pm On Mar 29, 2020
TalkBoutIt:
God

I don't know why Nigerians feel they are always the only one facing some issues, read me clearly, there are not enough testing kits all over the world, INCLUDING U.S.A and the U.K, go to any U.K blog, news site, and read thousands of comments about lack of testing kit, as a matter of fact, if U.S and U.K should carry out full test, i can tell you they will have massive massive casualties, this is a global crisis, the NDCD or whatever can't do much, its a global problem.

Oga the United states just took delivery of testing kits yesterday, yet they said the kits can't even test Newyork city alone, let alone the whole of Newyork then the whole U.S, no kits available. Demand is super higher than supply.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by johnmattew: 10:52pm On Mar 29, 2020
mofedamijo:
u are the only one making sense here...many Nigerians are just daft and dumb.they don't even know what's happening internationally.

coronavirus testing is a worldwide problem,even Almighty America have same issue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Awoo88: 10:52pm On Mar 29, 2020
SinisterX:
Coronavirus: A Facebook User’s Experience Of Getting Tested In Abuja

ATTENTION: PRESIDENCY & FED. MINISTRY OF HEALTH

To tell you the truth, NCDC can't do anything for you because they are not ready.
All this PR they are doing they are assuming people will not try that's why.
On Wednesday (25/03/2020) I and a colleague of mine decided we want to be sure of our status before going into #selfisolation.

So we went through the following steps

1. We called the toll free line and after all the normal recorded stories, when we chose to speak to an agent they end the call.

2. We went to University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada, they told us they don't do testing there, that the hospital is only an isolation center. They refer us back to NCDC office in town, told us that's where testing lab is.

3. We drove to NCDC office at Jabi. There are two NCDC offices there in close proximity. The first office told us they don't do testing but they directed us to the second office saying that's where testing is handled.

4. The second office too absolved themselves of that responsibility and directed us to NCDC National Reference Laboratory, Gaduwa.

5. We visited the NCDC NRL. On getting there, the security at the gate informed us that a lot of people were there too earlier in the day and were turned away. That they don't do testing for individuals unless your state took your sample and submit to them.

6.They refer us to a circular posted at the gate and told us to contact the FCT Epidemiology team lead on COVID-19.

7. When I called him I introduced myself by name and then asked him if he's the FCT team lead on this issue. He answered yes. I then asked him how do I go about getting tested. He asked who are you? Who gave you my number? I told him I'm an Abuja resident and his number is on a circular at the NCDC office. He told us he doesn't know. He said we should go to NCDC. I told him but they referred us to you. He was silent. I then asked him to advise us. He told us to go to "National Health Disease Control" which doesn't exist.

I will send a copy of the circular to this forum.

Obviously they are doing selective testing which is dangerous.

It means a lot of people might have been infected already but for lack of testing they are moving about infecting others.

While the information from the official channels are saying people are not coming forth, the truth is that people are going but are been turned away.

And I know because I was turned away first hand.

It also tells you that either the NCDC are lying to us or they are not coordinated at all. How will you explain three branches of the office each denying responsibility and pointing us to the next instead of just explaining to us the laid down procedures by the NCDC

https://m.facebook.com/673827759324224/posts/3897292313644403/
The last guy you called and asked for who you are and how you got his number should tell you that if you are a nobody, no testing for you. Only the rich and influential are getting response from that stupid agency in charge of disease control.
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by idonhammer: 10:53pm On Mar 29, 2020
You are not having symptoms you want to go for test..busy body

2 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by MhizJoyce(f): 10:54pm On Mar 29, 2020
If you have symtoms, Kaletra, Chloroquine are proven drugs you can use. A prof. of medicine in South Korea recommends it.

1 Like

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by hstar: 10:54pm On Mar 29, 2020
Caleb17:
Nigeria has entered once chance. Bill Gates predictions is coming to pass but God forbid. Not my blood nor that of my family and friends....
Pls Caleb, his prediction about what?
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by JamParkMe: 10:54pm On Mar 29, 2020
darealez:

Did you know Chioma Davido tested positive without symptoms? Asymptomatic patients are transmitters too... Nigera be careful, na express you dey go!!!

Sure I believe the rich & powerful will somehow get their hands on the test. Unfair as it may seem, that's how the cookie crumbles. One of my favourite basketball players in the U.S Kevin Durant got tested without symptoms in the early phase of the spread. But let me ask you, how do you know Chioma had no symptoms? Remember now she and her infant just returned home from the U.S, it's likely she may have been displaying symptoms to demand a test. Never speculate.
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by WelcomeToBiafra: 10:55pm On Mar 29, 2020
JamParkMe:
That person seeking a test right now is an unserious fellow. They are only testing those with likely symptoms like fever, cough and body aches who may have been exposed to an infected person. There are very limited number of testing kits to go around, so yes of course screening is selective. Even in America and Europe, they are only testing people with symptoms, so why did your friend think he can just get tested like that?

Supporters of evil will always defend this evil creation of terrorist lugard from India.

So he should wait until he start coughing blood before he get tested?

7 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by iamwhat: 10:56pm On Mar 29, 2020
JamParkMe:
Don't be foolish, and stop misinforming the public, No European country turns their back at citizen willing to get tested, even USA just approved a 5 minutes test kit.
Did you read the post at all? How many confirmed cases in Nigeria exhibited COVID-19 symptoms before they got tested? Any responsible citizen that had contact with a positive person must present himself/herself for a test and according to the OP, such a person would be treated the same way and the virus would continue to spread.
Our Government is irresponsible because of irresponsible people like you that defend them.

7 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Ivimilly: 10:56pm On Mar 29, 2020
Seun:
If this is true, how did they hide it from us? I'm yet to read about any Nairalander based in Nigeria who actually has the Coronavirus Disease....
How do you mean Hide it from us?
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by SweetCunt97(f): 10:56pm On Mar 29, 2020
JamParkMe:

Read my comment and then read it again slowly because your response shows you read but did not comprehend. Anyone returning from a hotspot like U.S, China or Europe should be quarantined, not tested. You only test those manifesting symptoms; it's not about rich or poor.
What if the guy was manifesting symptoms?

1 Like

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by MhizJoyce(f): 10:56pm On Mar 29, 2020
abbey621:
My advice to most people is to limit exposure to other people and take anti-malaria drugs containing chloroquine at least once. If you continue to rely on this useless government, you are on a long thing. You should know by now that the life of a cow is more important to them than yours, so be wise!
Kaletra and Chloroquine are effective for COVID 19. Information from a prof of medicine in South Korea

3 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by devbits: 10:56pm On Mar 29, 2020
more reasons why other countries are airlifting their citizens.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by JamParkMe: 10:57pm On Mar 29, 2020
WelcomeToBiafra:

Supporters of evil will always defend this evil creation of terrorist lugard from India.

So he should wait until he start coughing blood before he get tested?

If he starts coughing up blood, he should get checked up for bronchitis or TB and not COVID-19. You only get tested for COVID-19 if you have the following symptoms: fever, cough and body aches.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by ibinaboonline: 10:57pm On Mar 29, 2020
So na only when yawa don gas na en dem go come test you. Nawa o

2 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by chinene1(f): 10:57pm On Mar 29, 2020
JamParkMe:

I guess you've not heard of cases where the person does not show any symptoms or very mild symptoms but is infected and can infect others. It is not true that other countries are testing only those showing symptoms. Some countries quarantine you right from the airport and test you.

1 Like

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Nobody: 10:57pm On Mar 29, 2020
After all these....u hope you all will know Nigeria us not a nation

It was never created to be

The more you give it life by hoping it gets better someday the more it drains life out of you....if you children grow up with same ideology of getting better some day....IT WILL STILL DRAIN LIFE OUT IF THEM....

NIGERIA IS THE WORST CRIME EVER COMMITTED AGAINST HUMANITY

THE WORST BRITISH HUMAN EXPERIMENT

3 Likes

Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by JamParkMe: 10:58pm On Mar 29, 2020
SweetCunt97:
What if the guy was manifesting symptoms?

Then he should absolutely get tested. But there is no mention of him having symptoms, he would've added that info in his sob story.
Re: Trying To Get Tested For Coronavirus By NCDC In Abuja: An Experience by Ibime(m): 10:58pm On Mar 29, 2020
Those waiting on NCDC are on a long ting

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Causes Of Waist Pain In Men / Nurses In Ogun Wear Polythene Bags To Treat Suspected COVID-19 Patient (Photo) / Coronavirus: First Patients Injected In UK Vaccine Trial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.