Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,211 members, 7,807,722 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:05 PM

Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? (14736 Views)

The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / Men Sleeping With Their House Maids...who's To Blame? / Who Is To Blame? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by clogogo(m): 6:41pm On Dec 30, 2010
this is what wikipedia says

United States
Main article: Divorce in the United States

In 2008, 46% of all marriages involve a remarriage for one or both spouses. It is estimated that 40% of all marriages have ended in divorce as of 2008.[15] On average, first marriages that end in divorce last about eight years.[16] Of the first marriages for women from 1955 to 1959, about 79 percent marked their 15th anniversary, compared with only 57 percent for women who married for the first time from 1985 to 1989.[16] The median time between divorce and a second marriage was about three and a half years.[16]

In 2009 the overall divorce rate was in decline in the U.S., but so was the marriage rate.[17] A 1995 study found a wide range of unassociated factors including frequency of sex, wealth, race, and religious commitment.[18] The latter finding is contradicted by a study[19] by the Barna Group,[20][21][22] that conducts polls of interest to Christians.[23] They report that a higher divorce rate was associated with infrequent church attendance.

Zuckerman (2009) cites more conflicting reports about divorce and religiousness, some for, some against the notion of a correlation in either way.[24]

In 2001, marriages between people of different faiths were three times more likely to be divorced than those of the same faith. In a 1993 study, members of two mainline Protestant religions had a 1 in 5 chance of being divorced in 5 years; a Catholic and an Evangelical, a one in three chance; a Jew and a Christian, a 40% chance.[25]

While cohabitation has been shown to be associated with higher divorce rates, a study indicates that divorce-prone couples tend to first cohabit, and a number do not go on to get married, leading the researchers to conclude that without cohabitation, the divorce rate would be higher.[26]

Success in marriage has been associated with higher education and higher age. 81% of college graduates, over 26 years of age, who wed in the 1980s, were still married 20 years later. 65% of college graduates under 26 who married in the 1980s, were still married 20 years later. 49% of high school graduates under 26 years old who married in the 1980s, were still married 20 years later.[27] Population studies have found that in 2004 and 2008, liberal-voting states have lower rates of divorce than conservative-voting states, possibly because people in liberal states tend to wait longer before getting married.[28] In 2009, 2.9% of adults 35-39 without a college degree were divorced, compared with 1.6% with a college education.[29]

The National Center for Health Statistics reports that from 1975 to 1988 in the US, in families with children present, wives file for divorce in approximately two-thirds of cases. In 1975, 71.4% of the cases were filed by women, and in 1988, 65% were filed by women.[30] It is estimated that upwards of 95% of divorces in the US are "uncontested," because the two parties are able to come to an agreement without a hearing (either with or without lawyers/mediators/collaborative counsel) about the property, children and support issues.

A study has found that White female-Black male and White female-Asian male marriages are more prone to divorce than White-White pairings.[31] Conversely, unions between White males and non-White females (and between Hispanics and non-Hispanic persons) have similar or lower risks of divorce than White-White marriages.[31]
[edit] Europe

One study estimated that legal reforms accounted for about 20% of the increase in divorce rates in Europe between 1960 and 2002.[3 United Kingdom

The rate of divorce in the United Kingdom has been dropping in recent years. In 2007 the divorce rate in England and Wales was recorded at 11.9 people per every 1000 (1.1%) of the married population. This is the lowest divorce rate recorded since 1981.[33]
[edit] Australia

In Australia, nearly every third marriage ends in divorce. After reaching a peak divorce rate of 2.7 per 1000 residents in 2001, the Australian rate declined to 2.3 per 1000 in 200apan

In Japan, divorces were on a generally upward trend from the 1960s until 2002 when they hit a peak of 290,000. Since then, both the number of divorces and the divorce rate have declined for six years straight. In 2008, the number of divorces totaled 251,000, and the divorce rate was 1.99 (per 1,000 population).[35]
[edit] South Asia
Unbalanced scales.svg
The neutrality of this section is disputed. Please see the discussion on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until the dispute is resolved. (November 2010)

India and Sri Lanka are the two countries that have the lowest divorce rates, around one and one and a half percent respectively. In this part of Asia divorce is still very rare, although it is more common in South East Asia. In India, for example, arranged marriage is still fairly prominent although not as common as it once was. Divorce is not deemed as acceptable as it is in other cultures and therefore many either make a concerted effort to work through relationship problems or remain in unhappy marriages.[citation needed]

you can see for your self
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by otokx(m): 6:48pm On Dec 30, 2010
Divorce is a bad thing; the couple involved should really do their homework before taking a dive.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by pkasso(m): 6:57pm On Dec 30, 2010
Simple as ABC Mothers-in law of course grin
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by dayokanu(m): 7:50pm On Dec 30, 2010
In most cases women, WHo pretend just to get the man hooked and after the marriage they begin to show their true colours.

A man who has been wowed by his impecabble girlfriend suddenly discovers that she is something else under the initial facade
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:31pm On Dec 30, 2010
both

it takes man and woman to break a normal marriage
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by PastorOla1: 9:38pm On Dec 30, 2010
Both Pls.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by kaitlynxx: 9:55pm On Dec 30, 2010
the husband and the wife in this situation are not to be blamed, so the question now shld b what nd not who is to blame for broken marriages, the key problem to broken marriages is lack of communication between both partners,
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by jambya(m): 10:39pm On Dec 30, 2010
Women are to be blame; my reasons are, to initiate courtship between two opposite sex, should be d responsibility of d man but 4 d relationsip to last long, lies on the woman. By nature man is polygamous. Meaning, man only initiate a relationsip witut any interest of how it ends; that is why woman marry man & man do not marry woman.
Our todays women need to learn how to persevere to the pains and agonies of marriage; in order to change the broken home news that is everywhere in the country.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by mrjingles(m): 11:11pm On Dec 30, 2010
stupid post. Topic can NEVER be decided by empirical objective evidence, it would only bring out the sexist in most of us. This is a "beer parlor" argument that wld never end. A thoroughly tenuous and useless question that shdnt be discussed by any reasonable person. I don go jare.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 30, 2010
jam_bya:

Women are to be blame; my reasons are, to initiate courtship between two opposite gender, should be d responsibility of d  man but 4 d relationsip to last long, lies on the woman. By nature man is polygamous. Meaning, man only initiate a relationsip without any interest of how it ends; that is why woman marry man & man do not marry woman.
Our todays women need to learn how to persevere to the pains and agonies of marriage; in order to change the broken home news that is everywhere in the country.

î don't understand the statements in bold. So na woman dey marry man?

And how does a woman persevere through pains and agonies that SHE must have willfully caused? Unless you're suggesting that men cause all of marriage's "pains and agonies" and so the  women (or in other words, victims) should just persevere.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Nobody: 2:31am On Dec 31, 2010
woman should be trained to keep the home, the fact is that a man can't force a woman into any relationship but women can force men into relationship and if they so which or like the man, the relationship can last forever, women are the tools responsible for bad homes and good homes
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by OAM4J: 3:07am On Dec 31, 2010
Both are to be blamed.

But I have to agree with this:

pro01:

The leading cause of broken marriages (especially in Naija) is that far too many women want to wear trousers these days. We all know who the head of the house used to be during time of our parents and grandparents. But these days too much education, media influence, career development, and all sorts of negative exposure have increased feminist tendencies such that wives are now insufferably stubborn and unsubmissive. '50 - 50', 'equality' 'beside you, not behind you', etc. Those are the unpragmatic things they cling on to. Invariably, when a full-fledged man with a healthy ego marries a misguided woman with such mentality, it is only a matter of time before the marriage collapses.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Outstrip(f): 3:18am On Dec 31, 2010
Researcher General grin
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by stuffs4me(m): 3:54am On Dec 31, 2010
most times are caused by friends and family of the girl with their unsolicited "advice"

several years ago (cant remember the exact date) i read in the news magazine that over 60% of broken relationships/marriages are caused by friends and family of the girl with their unsolicited "advice"

ladies should stop listening and taking crapy (sometimes malicious) advice from just about anybody that pases by
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by henchmark: 4:21am On Dec 31, 2010
op,

i really didnt bother reading other peoples comments though because i have always been and will allways be of the opinion that a failed marriage is simply a failed MAN.

men do the wooing, so to have wooed someone you werent compatible with, someone you knew very little about, someone you pretended to love and so on, means the man failed from the beginning. he shud have done his home work very well before opening his mouth to propose. was he coerced or under duress?

interestingly, its takes me hours or days to interact with a lady to know if she is my kind of person and the moment i discover certain behaviours am not willing to accomodate trust me i see her as a man beside me . so, show me a failed marriage and i will show you a failed man.

if a man truly love the woman he married he will do everything to make sure the marriage succeeds.

thats not to say the women are without faults though.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 31, 2010
Tcrack:

poeple gat married for different reasons  but the truth is marriage is  not for everyone. Apart from having kids, i dont see any good reason why i should get married

Follow Ronald of Real Madrid. He got the way out.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Nobody: 7:31am On Dec 31, 2010
///
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by salix9ice(m): 8:02am On Dec 31, 2010
in most cases these days broken marriages are mostly caused by women not the men, well the men also sometimes caused it but i can say that 90% of it is caused by women
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by aca77: 8:27am On Dec 31, 2010
henchmark:

op,

i really didnt bother reading other peoples comments though because i have always been and will allways be of the opinion that a failed marriage is simply a failed MAN.

men do the wooing, so to have wooed someone you werent compatible with, someone you knew very little about, someone you pretended to love and so on, means the man failed from the beginning. he shud have done his home work very well before opening his mouth to propose. was he coerced or under duress?

interestingly, its takes me hours or days to interact with a lady to know if she is my kind of person and the moment i discover certain behaviours am not willing to accomodate trust me i see her as a man beside me . so, show me a failed marriage and i will show you a failed man.

if a man truly love the woman he married he will do everything to make sure the marriage succeeds.

thats not to say the women are without faults though.

This is very misleading and deceptive I must say. Humans are complex creatures and no one can claim to be too wise or perceptive in being an expert judge of character. The beautiful and 'good' woman you woo today might turn out to be a wolf in sheep's clothing today, how is that your fault? Trust me: no matter how long or how adroitly you think you can study someone, you can never know them well enough.
It is only men who have the ludicrous mindset that "show me a failed marriage and I'll show you a failed man" that would put up with their wife's atrocities and pretend that all is well - just to present a fake public image of a 'happy' or 'successful' marriage. It is such men that most women desire, so that they will deal mercilessly with them with the assurance that the marrigae will remain intact. Poor men.

Again, it is implausible to argue that if a man truly loves a woman he would do everything to make the marriage work. What if he discovered that the wife had been mercilessly cheating on him, or that the children they have aren't really his? He should continue with that farce of a marriage because he truly loves her and wants to make it work? Lets get real please.

chaircover:

@Henchmark I agree with you on this one. When people come to my husband for counseling; the man usually gets spoken to and reprimanded more than the wife.

Initially I could not understand why, but my husband explained to me that as the head of the house, the man takes the responsibility for the successful running of the house and if the man is in his rightful position as the head he will be able to steer his ship properly and if things do go wrong, the captain of the ship is blamed.

Like you, he says that in most cases the man choose the woman himself and so he has to take most of the responsibility if it goes wrong. He also uses examples of instances where the boss is held responsible for the misdemeanors of his subordinates.

Having read most of the replies I still think that both parties are to blame when things break down because no one can claim to be a saint.

Again this is deceptive reasoning. How many women in this day and age truly submit to their husbands such that the husband can truly assume full responsibility and captaincy of the ship? You gave the example of a boss and subordinates: is there any subordinate that can talk back at her boss, challenge his decision openly, humiliate him in one way or another, ridicule him, or denigrate his authority? Yet we see many women doing these things and worse to their husbands. They would fearfully (and shamelessly) obey every whimsical instruction/desire (both 'personal' and official) of their boss in the workplace, but when they come back home they gleefully and scornfully challenge their husband and frustrate him.

Your line of reasoning would have been 100% correct in the era of our parents when women were truly submisssive and in many cases even subservient to their husbands - like a child to his/her guardian. Those days a woman would even dread the touch of another man's hand, not to talk of allowing his manliness come within 100 metres of her body. Women had full respect for their husbands and the men enjoyed it. That way, no matter what, the man knows he is in charge and as such takes full responsibility for his wife whatever right or wrong.

But these days many 'enlightened' or 'exposed' or 'modern' women make life hell for their husbands, refuse to submit to the man's headship, cheat as much or more than he does and generally rub their nonsense in the man's face. So how does any reasonable man put up with such nonsense just because he "did the wooing" (as if that was what he bargained for when he wooed her) or because he is the *titular* 'head' of the home? Lets get real.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Ranoscky(m): 8:51am On Dec 31, 2010
henchmark:

chaircover:

Having read most of the replies I still think that both parties are to blame when things break down because no one can claim to be a saint.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by stepo707: 9:14am On Dec 31, 2010
the devil
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Nobody: 9:14am On Dec 31, 2010
///
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by kobikwelu(m): 9:38am On Dec 31, 2010
both sides,

need i say more
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by elod: 10:51am On Dec 31, 2010
I can only tell y'all what i tell my husband all the time, when your marriage fails, don't think you would look faultless by going round passing blames on one another, you have failed and it's something you will need to think of for the rest of your life even if you remarry. Nigerians need to step up, times have changed, we need to work harder to make our marriages work, every relationship has challenges whether with a spouse, siblings or parents. We don't get rid of our parents or siblings, no mater what they do to us we tolerate, why then do we find it easy to get rid of our spouse, if from the day of marriage, you changed your perspective and treated your spouse like your own blood instead of a necessary evil who has come to fufil the requirements of our culture, we most probably would have longer lasting marriages
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Agbesanya(m): 11:36am On Dec 31, 2010
The men are to be blame, becos they are the head who shloud show eg. embarassed
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Blazay(m): 2:05pm On Dec 31, 2010
Neither men nor women.
I blame religion with all those fake vows and unrealistic expectations from humans who will always be humans.
Highly fallible. kiss
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 31, 2010
Blazay:

Neither men nor women.
I blame religion with all those fake vows and unrealistic expectations from humans who will always be humans.
Highly fallible.
kiss

I can't help but agree entirely with this. Anything to the contrary is empty academic discussion.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Dec 31, 2010
^^^You agree humans (both male and female) are fallible, but you've been going on and on how women are the cause. Make up your mind.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 31, 2010
^^
Madam I wish u happy new year jare. May your water remain still.
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Dec 31, 2010
Same to you. smiley
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by dayokanu(m): 5:24pm On Dec 31, 2010
CC,

Here you make an analogy of Boss-Staff relationship in marriages when discussing marriage failure, Next thing in another thread you would liken it that you are equal partners.

You cant eat your cake and have it, You either agree that its a Boss-Servant relationship or a Partnership.

Women would play either cards when it suits them, Isnt that dodgy?

When its time to take responsibility they say the man is the head, When its time to take glory they say they are equal partners
Re: Who Is To Blame For Broken Marriages, Man Or Woman? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Dec 31, 2010
///

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What If You Just Found Out That Your Parents Ain't Really UR Biological Parents? / Lady Who Waited For Many Years Before Welcoming Her Daughter, Shares testimony / When A Woman Is The Bread Winner Of The Home:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.