Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,207 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno (64191 Views)

26 Soldiers Test Positive For COVID-19 As Army Fumigates Headquarters / Nigerian Student Volunteers To Help Fight Coronavirus In Nanjing, China (Photo) / Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by Omengboji: 6:36am On Mar 30, 2020
Our dear gallant soldiers, pls note its not a death sentence. We got ur back for quick recovery. Just stay calm and do as instructed for medication and u will b healed. And to all others affected, I wish u all fast healing
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by Bobbysmicky(m): 6:37am On Mar 30, 2020
JamParkMe:
Boko boys will soon have free reign over the entire northern Nigeria. I think it's time we gather all those who tested positive for COVID-19, euthanize them with a lethal IV dose of potassium chloride, cremate their bodies and bury their ashes 100km beneath the ground in a remote jungle. How do you think China was able to defeat this virus? Have you forgotten how they said a hotel housing corona virus patients mysteriously collapsed?

Difficult times call for difficult measures.
U think u made sense?
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by alphaNomega: 6:47am On Mar 30, 2020
Fuckkking bloggers Sahara reporters

Just like disguy and justwise
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by SpaceAngel: 6:50am On Mar 30, 2020
It's good to wash hands after handling money. Think this could be the fastest mode of transmission.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by mvem(m): 6:58am On Mar 30, 2020
JamParkMe:
Boko boys will soon have free reign over the entire northern Nigeria. I think it's time we gather all those who tested positive for COVID-19, euthanize them with a lethal IV dose of potassium chloride, cremate their bodies and bury their ashes 100km beneath the ground in a remote jungle. How do you think China was able to defeat this virus? Have you forgotten how they said a hotel housing corona virus patients mysteriously collapsed?

guy this is not Ebola...98% of people with coronavirus recovers and test negative within few weeks...hundred of thousands are recovering. It morbidity, that's its spread is the issue not even its potency that is about 1-2%...even your lassa fever has higher mortality rate. You guyz are taking this thing in another way. Thousands are recovering and about 5% end up being severe cases because of old age of they have underlying Ill health...what even kills the few is the pneumonia it causes because it behaves as a flu virus....stop all these misinformation...

1 Like

Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by chewwie(m): 7:01am On Mar 30, 2020
Ustec:
shocked shocked shocked It has finally finish. Seems covid-19 is airborne o
Lord have mercy on us.
Really? Airborne??! We're in trouble oh! ���
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by qtx(m): 7:04am On Mar 30, 2020
SpecialAdviser:
The way countries are evacuating their citizens from Nigeria eeeh, I suspect something very serious is cooking. May God help us. Please stay safe.
Meanwhile let me post the topic I created before for the people of God.

[b]Hello People of God,

I write to beg you to Ignore some of the modern day Pentecostal Christians coming up with all manner of tales about the end of the world and all the trash.

They have come with their false claims after misinterpreting the book of Revelation and they keep disturbing all media space with theories like 666, antichrist, one world currency, one world government. To them, they are trying to win souls for Christ.

Unfortunately, they are simply chasing souls from Christ with their nonsense claims. What happens to those who beleived you, if they realised you lies. It simply shows how myopic and unprepared they are to receive our Lord and saviour. Even Jesus himself doesn't know when He will come back as contained in the Bible. Only the father God knows and will decide.

Worse disease outbreaks, worse wars, worse calamity have befallen the world in the past without Jesus coming. Jesus simply warned us to be ready at any time because after death comes judgement. If you die in an accident today, your own world have ended and you will be made to give account of your life on earth.

Please don't be deceived by people that try to create panic in order to preach the gospel. You are not even judged right when you accept the gospel in the midst of such panic. Repentance should be done even when things are very smooth in your life. Accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour and make sure you worship God in truth and spirit. Don't cheat, Don't steal, Don't fornicate, Don't tell lies etc. Always pray and if you found yourself wanting in any sin, make confession and try to reconcile yourself with God immediately.

This way you can be ready for His coming and never be bothered if He will come today or 2moro. Again, some pastors are already preaching against taking the vaccine that may come after Corona. Please kindly ignore them. You will never be judged a sinner for taking any vaccine. How would God judge you such? You are simply innocent even if their is any form of conspiracy. You were never a part of it. Most of these pastors will come short of preaching true repentance to their members but will be too quick to talk about end time.

To all Catholics in the house, kindly remain steadfast in prayers. Please try to fast in this time of lent. Most importantly give alms to the poor. Your can send money to someone very poor through bank transfers. Sit and think deep, there are many of them around you, in your village and elsewhere.
This time of lent is an opportunity to please God and receive forgiveness of some of your misdoings and don't let it pass you by.[/b]

God bless you.

Superlative ignorance of the highest magnitude shocked
Please study the Bible and not missal
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by mjay26(m): 7:05am On Mar 30, 2020
Read again, the both soldiers returned from a pass, that's is to say the both of them were given a pass out of camp and when they both return has the virus symptom. That doesn't mean it airborne into borno state.
Ustec:
shocked shocked shocked
It has finally finish.
Seems covid-19 is airborne o

Lord have mercy on us.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by Nobody: 7:07am On Mar 30, 2020
Badmod:
Oun rugbo bo...
This virus no get leg ,na humans dey carry am waka...
All this godforsaken people who refuse to listen to the rule of the country should be castrated...
Like those stupid people that attended church service today in Lagos and Abuja.
Do we have to wait until our cousins and neighbors start dying before we know what to do ...

People that studied virology and epidemiology sef dey fear.... some stupid people will listen to their pastors instead of professionals....

Let's hope this won't cost us...
To people I so much hate because I assume they're enemies of Nigeria...El Rufai and Kyari... I wish you speed recovery and I hope you learn something from this problem...

God heal our land.... heal Italy,spain,Austria,USA,Iran and the rest of the world....

Nigerians...make we please listen to real medical advice.
If you like stay at home, the virus could still walk up to you in your abode via infected currencies.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by francdec4(m): 7:11am On Mar 30, 2020
Happy Birthday dear. Check your dm

Ayeesharh:
God have mercy�
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by oweman: 8:02am On Mar 30, 2020
FAKE STORY OR WHO CONDUCTED THE TEST .

won't be surprised if its posted by ipob agents .
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by XshegzzyeeiX: 8:19am On Mar 30, 2020
Skyfornia:
I still feel the government or relevant authorities are neglecting to sensitive the people on the easiest way one can get in contact with the virus which is the touching and spread of naira notes.

Do you know that a naira note touched by an infected person can travel across cities and states under 24hrs? This is a more serious danger than shaking of hands and social gathering.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by omohayek: 9:04am On Mar 30, 2020
grandstar:

Theyll eventually know how to get treated. The disease is overhyped presently due to fear.
No, the fear is not overhyped at all, but perfectly justified. This is an extremely contagious disease with a fatality rate at least 10 times that of the flu even under the best care, and without said care - as is nearly always the case in poor countries - the death rate can be as high as 6 percent across all populations, meaning something like 10 percent or more in older people. Starting from just 1 infected individual and using a doubling period of 3 days (which is what we're seeing in many western countries right now), it only takes 2 months to get to more than 1 million infected people, and in another 2 weeks that number rises to approximately 20 million people. Can you imagine what that would mean in terms of daily deaths? The scenes you're currently seeing from Spain and Italy would look like child's play by comparison.

If anything, I'd say this is a good time to err on the side of panic rather than complacency. The Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 that killed 50 million people "only" had a mortality rate of 2.5 percent, and given the state of healthcare and nutrition in most of Africa today, the likelihood of keeping COVID-19 death rates that low is vanishingly slim. This disease has to be nipped in the bud now before the numbers start to spiral out of control, by aggressively testing, contact tracing and isolating.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by IJEYdiamond(f): 9:10am On Mar 30, 2020
JamParkMe:

Please explain further.. how did their ashes cure coro??
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by Tsam96(m): 9:23am On Mar 30, 2020
omohayek:

No, the fear is not overhyped at all, but perfectly justified. This is an extremely contagious disease with a fatality rate at least 10 times that of the flu even under the best care, and without said care - as is nearly always the case in poor countries - the death rate can be as high as 6 percent across all populations, meaning something like 10 percent or more in older people. Starting from just 1 infected individual and using a doubling period of 3 days (which is what we're seeing in many western countries right now), it only takes 2 months to get to more than 1 million infected people, and in another 2 weeks that number rises to approximately 20 million people. Can you imagine what that would mean in terms of daily deaths? The scenes you're currently seeing from Spain and Italy would look like child's play by comparison.

If anything, I'd say this is a good time to err on the side of panic rather than complacency. The Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 that killed 50 million people "only" had a mortality rate of 2.5 percent, and given the state of healthcare and nutrition in most of Africa today, the likelihood of keeping COVID-19 death rates that low is vanishingly slim. This disease has to be nipped in the bud now before the numbers start to spiral out of control, by aggressively testinug, contact tracing and isolating.

The worst form of misinformation is one delivered with confidence. The fact that u sounded quite serious and quoted statistics will convince anyone reading this. Sadly most of the facts u presented are flawed. For instance, how can u say the Spanish flu had a mortality rate of 2.5%. Pls check and adjust.

I'm not saying we shud be complacent tho. In fact now's the time to act so we can curtail the spread and have this episode over once and for all...but spreading misinformation is not going to help matters
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by omohayek: 9:31am On Mar 30, 2020
Tsam96:

The worst form of misinformation is one delivered with confidence. The fact that u sounded quite serious and quoted statistics will convince anyone reading this. Sadly most of the facts u presented are flawed. For instance, how can u say the Spanish flu had a mortality rate of 2.5%. Pls check and adjust.
How hard would it have been for you to take your own advice before spouting your ignorance?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/1/05-0979_article
An estimated one third of the world's population (or ≈500 million persons) were infected and had clinically apparent illnesses (1,2) during the 1918–1919 influenza pandemic. The disease was exceptionally severe. Case-fatality rates were >2.5%, compared to <0.1% in other influenza pandemics (3,4). Total deaths were estimated at ≈50 million (5–7) and were arguably as high as 100 million (7).

https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/
It infected 28% of all Americans (Tice). An estimated 675,000 Americans died of influenza during the pandemic, ten times as many as in the world war. Of the U.S. soldiers who died in Europe, half of them fell to the influenza virus and not to the enemy (Deseret News) ... The effect of the influenza epidemic was so severe that the average life span in the US was depressed by 10 years. The influenza virus had a profound virulence, with a mortality rate at 2.5% compared to the previous influenza epidemics, which were less than 0.1%. The death rate for 15 to 34-year-olds of influenza and pneumonia were 20 times higher in 1918 than in previous years (Taubenberger).

It takes a particularly intense kind of intellectual disability to boldly accuse others of the very things one is guilty of.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by grandstar(m): 9:58am On Mar 30, 2020
omohayek:

If anything, I'd say this is a good time to err on the side of panic rather than complacency. The Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 that killed 50 million people "only" had a mortality rate of 2.5 percent, and given the state of healthcare and nutrition in most of Africa today, the likelihood of keeping COVID-19 death rates that low is vanishingly slim. This disease has to be nipped in the bud now before the numbers start to spiral out of control, by aggressively testing, contact tracing and isolating.

A lot of the points you made are valid. My chief worry is that paranoia may make finding effective treatments complex.

The present methodology used in treating the scourge presently as you've "said" is not pragmatic. Africa will be decimated in no time. We mustn't forget HIV and AIDS in South and East Africa.

Does hydroxychloroquine work? Can a hybrid system work where testing or mass testing is commercialized? Private companies involved in mass testing could be paid N5, 000 per person tested for instance by government? Government should target about 100,000 a day, considering South Korea with 44m people does between 15,000 - 20,000 tests daily.

If hydroxychloroquine works, patients can be referred to hospitals designated to treat them.
You can have treatment centers run by the private sector. They could be found everywhere in the country.

What I'm saying is let us think outside the box. I'm not a health professional but what's presently on ground does not give reason to hope.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by Tsam96(m): 10:05am On Mar 30, 2020
omohayek:

How hard would it have been for you to take your own advice before spouting your ignorance?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/1/05-0979_article

https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/

It takes a particularly intense kind of intellectual disability to boldly accuse others of the very things one is guilty of.
Thanks for the update..this is what u aren't getting...u are skimming information. It's making ur arguement sound smart bt u aren't painting an accurate picture and by so doing you are spreading misinformation.

You effectively downplayed one of the deadliest flu outbreaks in history just to propagate a fear of the Covid-19. Even by the facts u quoted an estimated 50 million people died from the Spanish flu. That figure could be as high as 100 million by some estimates. (Note: greater than 2.5% and not "only 2.5" like u quoted in the earlier post). That's not to mention the fact that majority of those that died from the Spanish flu were healthy adults in their prime. (U conveniently left that piece of information out too).

Also, u mentioned that mortality rate for Covid-19 could've be as high as 10% in older adults. Can u provide the source to that information to sir.

Compare the figures to the mortality figures we have today for the Corona virus and it will be obvious to anyone that the Covid-19 no where nears the Spanish flu in fatality. And that's the very reason why I said u are mis-informing people and spreading fear

Once again I appreciate your call for action instead of complacency. But pls don't do so while spreading fear.

Thank you
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by omohayek: 10:18am On Mar 30, 2020
Tsam96:

Thanks for the update..this is what u aren't getting...u are skimming information. It's making ur arguement sound smart bt u aren't painting an accurate picture and by so doing you are spreading misinformation.

You effectively downplayed one of the deadliest flu outbreaks in history just to propagate a fear of the Covid-19.
LOL Wut How did you read my "downplaying" anything into what I wrote? How you could possibly have derived the very opposite of what I was getting at from my words leaves me wondering whether you're drunk or merely sub-literate. It serves me right for responding to someone who lacks even a comprehension of basic English!
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by Cubia(f): 10:21am On Mar 30, 2020
May God have mercy on you. I wish you what you wish others.
JamParkMe:

Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by omohayek: 10:32am On Mar 30, 2020
grandstar:

A lot of the points you made are valid. My chief worry is that paranoia may make finding effective treatments complex.
There simply are no treatments, and there aren't likely to be any for at least 6 months, when the first data on ongoing clinical trials will start to come in. This is in fact the reason why "paranoia" is perfectly justified - the only way to avoid mass mortality for an untreatable infectious disease is to act radically and quickly to contain its spread.

The present methodology used in treating the scourge presently as you've "said" is not pragmatic. Africa will be decimated in no time. We mustn't forget HIV and AIDS in South and East Africa.
HIV/AIDS is less problematic for two reasons, namely (i) as a primarily sexually-transmitted disease it is far less infectious, and (ii) we now have effective treatments for it in the form of combination therapy, the cost of which is already heavily discounted and subsidised for poor countries. You can't catch HIV by merely being in the same room with an infected person, while single individuals have been documented to infect dozens of others with COVID-19 at a single event on numerous occasions.

Does hydroxychloroquine work? Can a hybrid system work where testing or mass testing is commercialized? Private companies involved in mass testing could be paid N5, 000 per person tested for instance by government? Government should target about 100,000 a day, considering South Korea with 44m people does between 15,000 - 20,000 tests daily.
These are all important considerations, but they can be considered while also simultaneously taking steps to ensure the virus doesn't spread uncontrollably in the meantime. Deliberation shouldn't be an excuse for inaction, or else you end up with a situation like the one currently in place in the USA, where 2 precious months were wasted in bureaucratic nonsense as the virus ran rampant.

If hydroxychloroquine works, patients can be referred to hospitals designated to treat them.
You can have treatment centers run by the private sector. They could be found everywhere in the country.

What I'm saying is let us think outside the box. I'm not a health professional but what's presently on ground does not give reason to hope.
While it's nice to have hope, it's not a useful thing to encourage if that hope is built on nothing but wishful thinking, especially if such thinking prevents people from taking preventable measures that can save both their own lives and those of many others. A single careless person who says "why should I worry?" and then goes ahead to act as a spreader can easily become the initial link in a chain involving tens of thousands of people, as we saw with the Shincheonji church in South Korea, so the last thing anyone should want is a false optimism that leads to heedless behavior. We all need to be at our most careful over the next few months, not just for our own sakes but for those of potentially tens or hundreds of other lives each of us could cut short by our personal choices.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by Tsam96(m): 10:33am On Mar 30, 2020
omohayek:

LOL Wut How did you read my "downplaying" anything into what I wrote? How you could possibly have derived the very opposite of what I was getting at from my words leaves me wondering whether you're drunk or merely sub-literate. It serves me right for responding to someone who lacks even a comprehension of basic English!

U know for someone so intelligent u manage to throw too much insults into ur arguments...

Again I haven't in any way faulted ur comment or it's intention. I only pointed the tendency for anyone reading the original post to react in fear especially given the comparison to the Spanish flu. Data doesn't spread fear. It is it's wrong interpretation that is dangerous.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by omohayek: 10:37am On Mar 30, 2020
Tsam96:

U know for someonr who claims to be so intelligent u manage to throw too much insults into ur arguments...

Again I haven't in any way faulted ur comment or it's intention. I only pointed the tendency for anyone reading the original post to react in fear especially given the comparison to the Spanish flu. Data doesn't spread fear. It is it's wrong interpretation that is dangerous.
And your interpretation is as wrong as it's possible to get, since you completely missed the point I was trying to make: COVID-19 is at least as contagious as the great flu of 1918, and maybe twice as dangerous, so yes, anyone with a working brain should be afraid. Putting your head in the sand like an ostrich because you don't want to be afraid doesn't make the cause for that fear magically go away; it is the height of illogic to say that hard evidence should be discounted because you find it frightening.

1 Like

Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by Tsam96(m): 10:39am On Mar 30, 2020
omohayek:

And your interpretation is as wrong as it's possible to get, since you completely missed the point I was trying to make: COVID-19 is at least as contagious as the great flu of 1918, and maybe twice as dangerous, so yes, anyone with a working brain should be afraid. Putting your head in the sand like an ostrich because you don't want to be afraid doesn't make the cause for that fear magically go away; it is the height of illogic to say that hard evidence should be discounted because you find it frightening.

You see what I'm saying...

Covid is just as contagious as the Spanish flu. You claiming it's twice as fatal is the issue here...
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by usah4(m): 10:44am On Mar 30, 2020
Please help give the virus to Boko Haram
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by Tsam96(m): 10:48am On Mar 30, 2020
omohayek:

I guess it's the CFR that's causing the confusion with ur comparison of both cases..you can go through the article below for context. The author puts it's better than I could have ever explained it here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/covid-19-is-nothing-like-the-spanish-flu/amp

Data doesn't confuse people. Interpretation does...
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by Insectkiller: 12:24pm On Mar 30, 2020
Every person that has contracted Corona shld be given a gun to go to Sambisa and fight Boko..

Atleast..it's better to die killing 1 or 2 Boko..than to just die like a coward by Corona.

Just thinking aloud...

shocked cool
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by mechanics(m): 12:42pm On Mar 30, 2020
The numbers of COVID-19 cases is now 111 plus the soldier's making it 113.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by Nobody: 1:56pm On Mar 30, 2020
JamParkMe:

Stop saying rubbish
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by JamParkMe: 2:16pm On Mar 30, 2020
willyjacs:
i pray u test positive before such measures are taken.

They should burn people's husbands,wives,children,brothers,sisters,mothers,fathers and friends because they got infected? May u be the first nd only infected person they'll burn.

I will ask them to shoot up enough potassium to stop my heart, cremated my body and bury my ashes 100km underground in a remote village. It's best I go alone than start a chain of events that will infect 100+ people. Unlike you and many others, I'm not selfish.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by JamParkMe: 4:00pm On Mar 30, 2020
mvem:
guy this is not Ebola...98% of people with coronavirus recovers and test negative within few weeks...hundred of thousands are recovering. It morbidity, that's its spread is the issue not even its potency that is about 1-2%...even your lassa fever has higher mortality rate. You guyz are taking this thing in another way. Thousands are recovering and about 5% end up being severe cases because of old age of they have underlying Ill health...what even kills the few is the pneumonia it causes because it behaves as a flu virus....stop all these misinformation...

Yes. Best we eliminate those who tested positive before they infect the elderly with chronic comorbidities.
Re: Two Nigerian Soldiers Test Positive For Coronavirus In Borno by ReeLoaDead(m): 4:16pm On Mar 30, 2020
grandstar:
eventually know how to get treated.
How will they know? When the medical scientists themselves are still figuring it out.

grandstar:
The disease is overhyped presently due to fear.
35,000+ people have died in the world ... it is not an overhype.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Maggots Coming Out From A Woman's Head (Viewers Discretion Advised) / Joyce Ijeoma Begins 72-Hour Massaging Marathon To Break Guinness Record (Video) / My New Girl Friend May Leave Me Because Of My Body.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.