Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,146,301 members, 7,792,598 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story (1185 Views)

How Do You Cope If Married To Someone You Don't Love? / Have You Been Betrayed Before? Share Your Story, You Might Heal / Girl born with an Arabic inscription in Sokoto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story by lecoeur(m): 12:28am On Mar 30, 2020
Note→While we sit at home in wait for this virus to be contained, let's encourage, advice and share our experiences based on the topic.
Pls do well to ignore all grammatical errors also do not derail this thread!.

My father used to be an international business personnel while I was growing up, adding to that he was financially buoyant, my family lacked nothing.
Coming down to area of residence we lived in three different countries before settling for Nigeria. I and my elder sis were born in Marseille then we left when I was at the early age of 1, all of my younger ones except our last born weren't born in Nigeria (somehow complicated) also my mom is an ivorian.
The constant relocation in a way affected my school (we changed school too much) and right now I can't even say I have a childhood friend cheesy.
Finally we came to Nigeria as a result of the civil war back then in ivory coast, during our stay away from Nigeria I never even knew I was an Igbo boy, I only held to the fact I was a Nigerian. 3 years later things changed hands, my Dad started coming up with plans for us to leave Nigeria again which didn't work out as a result of an accident he had, the accident gulped lots of money and when he recovered things have already collapsed he wasn't doing his normal routines only my mom worked. A friend of his came with a livestock/crop farm business and daddy bought the idea, to raise enough cash he had to sell off all his properties in Kumasi. Well we are living in abuja, so in order for things to be easier for him he decided to buy some portion of land at kuje for the business but unfortunately he was duped in the process.
Everything became worse and adapting to the situation wasn't easy, family (Mom's) and friends started helping us the way they can, paternal uncles/aunties started demanding for we the kids, I think these issues contributed a lot in his current health challenge sad .
Fast forward to today, things haven't really changed, we're not poor but we're not living up to quarter the standard we once lived.
This life "nothing lasts forever" and also I've realised "I get am before no be property", I've learned a lot from my dad's past mistakes and I'm already in the fight against poverty smiley.
Please share yours and remember to drop a word of encouragement.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story by HarunaWest(m): 1:25am On Mar 30, 2020
cool

1 Like

Re: Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story by MMotimo: 2:51am On Mar 30, 2020
My word of encouragement would be for you to not have more kids than you can cater for well. As you recall your childhood before things got bad, aim to give your kids same or a better standard than you enjoyed.

3 Likes

Re: Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story by GboyegaD(m): 2:59am On Mar 30, 2020
I was born into a family where things were initially bouyant. My dad was a regional manager and my mom had resigned her banking job before the days of SAP. The effect of SAP was much as my dad lost his job. My mom settled for food business and that saw us all through school as it became our family business. Not sure we are where we were before SAP however, we are not at that point SAP took us to. My mom now can fly to North America which she does annually as two of us live there and the ones back home are not doing too badly either by Nigerian standards.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story by lecoeur(m): 7:30am On Mar 30, 2020
GboyegaD:
I was born into a family where things were initially bouyant. My dad was a regional manager and my mom had resigned her banking job before the days of SAP. The effect of SAP was much as my dad lost his job. My mom settled for food business and that saw us all through school as it became our family business. Not sure we are where we were before SAP however, we are not at that point SAP took us to. My mom now can fly to North America which she does annually as two of us live there and the one's back home are not doing too badly either by Nigerian standards.

wow, that's cool...
remember to drop a word for me pls.

1 Like

Re: Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story by lecoeur(m): 7:36am On Mar 30, 2020
MMotimo:
My word of encouragement would be for you to not have more kids than you can cater for well. As you recall your childhood before things got bad, aim to give your kids same or a better standard than you enjoyed.
smiley the kids part got me giggling, but thanks for those words I appreciate.

2 Likes

Re: Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story by Biglittlelois(f): 11:18am On Mar 30, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story by GboyegaD(m): 12:03pm On Mar 30, 2020
lecoeur:

wow, that's cool...
remember to drop a word for me pls.

Okan le ni which implies it is only tough. Remember, tough times don't last, tough people do. I can say this because I have experienced it first hand. If you see my folks and we tell you we once sold rice at the Bus Stop, you will find it hard to believe.
I have had friends caution me from buying food from food vendors at bus stops and one thing I tell them is, this gave me hope. It made me.
As you keep growing, set your objectives and look up to Jesus the author and finisher of our faith. He alone can do all things.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story by lecoeur(m): 12:14pm On Mar 30, 2020
Biglittlelois:
Hmmm
what's up with the hmmming?
Re: Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story by Nobody: 1:41pm On Mar 30, 2020
Gentlemen, it was hell growing up.

I was born with a golden spoon, that later became plastic. Next thing I knew was... The plastic vanished.

Cos of this, I never could quite fit in (even till date) . I had (still have) all the training, mannerisms, mindset of an aristocrat, but without a dine to back me up.

A true blood prince with zero kobo.

Crazy shiyt.

I'm comfortable with the elite but can't afford luxury (for now), I try to blend with regular peops (but they just assume I'm slumming)

See.. It's tough. Really tough.

But God dey man.
Re: Born With Silver Spoon, Lost It, How Well did You Cope?...share Your Story by lecoeur(m): 9:00pm On Mar 30, 2020
topcatking:
Gentlemen, it was hell growing up.

I was born with a golden spoon, that later became plastic. Next thing I knew was... The plastic vanished.

Cos of this, I never could quite fit in (even till date) . I had (still have) all the training, mannerisms, mindset of an aristocrat, but without a dine to back me up.

A true blood prince with zero kobo.

Crazy shiyt.

I'm comfortable with the elite but can't afford luxury (for now), I try to blend with regular peops (but they just assume I'm slumming)

See.. It's tough. Really tough.

But God dey man.

experienced something similar like you stated in your comment, regular niggis will sight you and think you have the money in stack, but you had to play along knowing fully well they won't believe you're broke.
really painful and one of my motivation towards hustling.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

DNA Test Is Not Always 100% / I Just Rented My First House. In honest need of household items / Is Love All In Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.