Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,721 members, 7,805,966 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test (82559 Views)

Laila Abubakar Ali Dies Of Coronavirus In USA / Nigerian Student Volunteers To Help Fight Coronavirus In Nanjing, China (Photo) / Coronavirus In Wuhan: ‘We Would Rather Die At Home Than Go To Quarantine’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Tonykjngs: 9:37am On Mar 30, 2020
Nigerian Final Year WMU student who died of COVID-19 was refused test, sister says

A 25-year-old Western Michigan University student from Detroit died Saturday after contracting the coronavirus.

The student, Bassey Offiong, was expected to graduate with a chemical engineering degree in a few weeks.

His sister, Asari Offiong, said her brother told her he was turned down several times for the coronavirus test in the Kalamazoo area while living off-campus despite having fever, fatigue and shortness of breath.

"I told him to ask them to test him," Offiong said. "He said they refused to test him."

One medical staffer told him he had bronchitis, she said. She said he had no known prior health issues. Offiong said she wasn't ready to disclose the locations where he was denied a test.

He was hospitalized at Beaumont in Royal Oak and spent the last week on a ventilator in their intensive care unit. She called her "baby brother" sweet and humble and a "gentle giant." She last saw him a week ago.

"I know God has him in his presence," Offiong said. "He loved God."

He was a member of the Christ the King Miracle Church in Redford Township.

Bassey Offiong's dream was to start his own organic makeup line with Loreal that would enhance women's beauty, his sister said. He was a graduate of Renaissance High School in Detroit.

"He's just someone who thinks so big," she said.

Western Michigan University President Edward Montgomery said Offiong had "enormous potential."

"On behalf of the entire Bronco community, I want to extend my deepest condolences to his entire family, including his sister, Asari, who has been generous in communicating with us regularly," Montgomery said in a press release from university and Kalamazoo County health officials. "They are in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

University officials announced Friday that three students had tested positive for the virus.

"We urge everyone to help us fight community spread by following the Governor’s executive order," said Jim Rutherford, health officer for the Kalamazoo County Health & Community Services Department.

"Stay home and, if you must go out for essential items, stay safe by taking preventative measures."

Source: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/03/29/western-michigan-university-student-weeks-graduation-dies-covid-19/2936057001/

1 Like

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by TheGiftedOne(m): 9:40am On Mar 30, 2020
Too bad. Had this happened in Nigeria we would have blamed it on negligence and incompetence. Unfortunately even in the so called civilized country, he still died without even a fight from the medics. My condolences to the bereaved family and friends.

396 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Nobody: 9:56am On Mar 30, 2020

139 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by saheedbadmus(m): 10:13am On Mar 30, 2020
Rip bassey

I fink u r ryt
ifykris22:
I told you guys dey don't treat migrants without health insurance over seas, especially in cases like this... cry cry cry

18 Likes

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Dikegodspower(m): 10:22am On Mar 30, 2020
is a pity Rip bassey
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Professorcplus(m): 10:27am On Mar 30, 2020
rip
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by DirtyGold: 10:46am On Mar 30, 2020
May his soul rest in peace.
I can imagine the pain of the bereaved family... undecided

What's tha business?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by felai: 10:47am On Mar 30, 2020
This is a bad time to contract the virus as an immigrant in another country.
Quite unfortunate.
May his soul rest in Peace.

SaintLucia:
Whether migrants or citizens anybody without health insurance will not be tested in America, one of the main reason why they are dying there. Most Americans can't afford to pay for health insurance. Life in America is not easy

You are not far from the truth.

This too shall Pass.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Kiddinpoh(m): 10:47am On Mar 30, 2020
RIP to you

1 Like

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Nobody: 10:47am On Mar 30, 2020
TheGiftedOne:
Too bad. Had this happened in Nigeria we would have blamed it on negligence and incompetence. Unfortunately even in the so called civilized country, he still died without even a fight from the medics. My condolences to the bereaved family and friends.

In this case, the problem is, the corona virus situation in the US is so severe that they are already running out of resources.

Also, the symptoms he had.? I treated a patient here in Naija two months ago with similar symptoms. Had pneumonia, not covid 19. My point is, the symptoms for covid 19 can mimic any other symptoms for any other disease.

At the moment there is no definitive treatment for the virus. Chloroquine is being trialed properly, as are some other drugs. Supportive care is the best for now.

108 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Sehindemi(f): 10:47am On Mar 30, 2020
This Daddy was a final year student. cry cry

RIP.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:48am On Mar 30, 2020
This is criminal negligence
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by IbrahimSkiba(f): 10:48am On Mar 30, 2020
sad
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by ForeThinker: 10:48am On Mar 30, 2020
Nawaao
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by cana882(m): 10:48am On Mar 30, 2020
Sad
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Timileyin1234(m): 10:48am On Mar 30, 2020
F*ck USA

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by SweetCunt97(f): 10:48am On Mar 30, 2020
He should have taken chloroquine naw... Shey test equal to medication ni? It's obvious they only testing only their citizens.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Ernerstdavid55(m): 10:48am On Mar 30, 2020
grin dat guy dat said no insurance no treatment got me lik

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by sulaimon22: 10:49am On Mar 30, 2020
Rip
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Ijaya123: 10:49am On Mar 30, 2020
RIP to him.

If this had happened in Nigeria, some people whose only stock in trade is to blame Buhari for excessive sunshine would have been masturbating over the news because they have bad news to celebrate to.

Which kind of hatred can make someone look forward only to bad news so they can celebrate it? They must be evil personified.

VERY PATHETIC LOTS.

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by promotervickky(m): 10:49am On Mar 30, 2020
ifykris22:
I told you guys dey don't treat migrants without health insurance over seas, especially in cases like this... cry cry cry

Who told you that was the case?

11 Likes

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Babatunde40(m): 10:49am On Mar 30, 2020
After this, i think everyone should start working out. Keeping your body in shape is a way to build your immune system

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Candycrushy(f): 10:49am On Mar 30, 2020
Gone like that?? So saf embarassed embarassed
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Ladycewhy(f): 10:49am On Mar 30, 2020
I am just here thinking of what will befall illegal migrants if they get this virus embarassed

9 Likes

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by iammo(m): 10:49am On Mar 30, 2020
angry

its getting more and more real

Almighty trumps Amelica don't give a rat ass about Nigerians the sooner we know that the better.. Trumps 4 years he had pumped so much hate into racist health workers and other racist white that if they see a foreigner in sad need of help bleeding out, they would simply pick up there phone to call ICE and Imigration to bundle you to deportation center

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Timileyin1234(m): 10:49am On Mar 30, 2020
SweetCunt97:
He should have taken chloroquine naw... Shey test equal to medication ni? It's obvious they only testing only their citizens.
no mind am, like say e no get phone to the prescription of the medicine to use cure it
That is why I screenshot every solution I see online

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by ojaydedon(m): 10:49am On Mar 30, 2020
RIP

But he doesn't look 25... Is it football age?
Re: Bassey Offiong Dies Of Coronavirus In USA After Being Refused Test by Coronavirus1: 10:49am On Mar 30, 2020
Inside life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Face-Mask Suffocates Security Guard To Death In Abeokuta (Photo) / Coronavirus Quarantine: How People Stock Their Homes With Food, Groceries (Pics) / COVID-19: Man Gains Over 100kg Within 5 Months Of Lockdown In Wuhan (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.