Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,256 members, 7,807,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection (15381 Views)

FG Suspends Deduction Of States’ Loans / Ambode Declares Second Lekki-epe Expressway Toll-free / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Pifa: 2:24am On Jan 04, 2011
[quote author=eku_bear link=topic=576642.msg7453220#msg7453220 date=1294060703][/quote]

I'm not sure I agree. First of all,  the terms are not "Lagos State must pay us $X over the next 30 years, regardless of how much less than that we take in from tolls." It is instead, "if Lagos State defaults on the terms of our agreement, then they must pay us $X."

If we agree on this, then it is not quite a riskless investment, is it? It is just to protect themselves and ensure a penalty of their partner (Lagos State) violates the agreement.
Or am I misunderstanding?

Yes, I think you are. The crux of the matter lies in the default clause. The concessionaire, I believe, is already deducting payments from the Nigerian government's fiscal allocation to Lagos when they were unable to collect toll (suspended by the state). And what chance is there that Lagos will default, if federal allocation continues to flow into the state's coffers? That is my understanding, unless someone with better information can contradict me. I do not see much risk the concessionaire is assuming here. Whoever negotiated the terms of the contract for the concessionaire deserves high praise. It was clever.

I would have no problem with the Lekki toll road, if it were operated strictly as a private enterprise that succeeded or failed on its merits. The SR91 we talked about failed when Caltrans had to widen the publicly-owned section where congestion was most devilish. Patronage declined and that led the Riverside County to take over the enterprise. A similar fate is being visited on the tolled section of SR125 in San Diego, popularly called the South Bay Expressway. South Bay Expressway was conceived as an alternate route to I-805 and I-5 (for those who are curious to know, the “I” stands for interstate, which is the interstate highway system developed by the US Department of Transportation), both of which merge just before the international border with Mexico. The business model was predicated on the increasing US-Mexico vehicular traffic brought about by the booming economy at the time. When the US recession was in full swing in 2008, patronage declined as traders and vacationers pulled back on trips across the border. The expressway, which was opened in Nov. 2007, filed for bankruptcy in May of 2010. That was risk and the failure that ensued when the risk materialized.

In my opinion it does. Doesn't adding a 3rd lane have a similar effect? And surfacing and maintaining the road? Why must an above-ground toll be the only way to create value, when adding additional lanes does the same thing?

So what if it turns out that the improvements they made will have the same overall effect in improving traffic as adding say an above-ground toll? Then will you still have this same impression?

I used the above-ground construction as an example, but I should have made that clear. The toll road could run parallel to, below grade or bypass the existing road. It doesn't matter. What matters in my argument is that the road be “isolated” from the public road. An example of a parallel route is the same SR91 in California I've mentioned a number of times in this discussion. The tolled freeway was built in the median between the east-bound and west-bound lanes of the existing public freeway. As you near the tolled section, you will see signages that alert you to the upcoming toll way so that you will have the option to branch into the approach to the toll plaza, or continue driving on the public road.

With regard to the Lekki expressway, I don't really see what value it creates in terms of easing traffic congestion. People who live in the Lekki corridor complain all the time about the traffic. The queue (at least for those who do not have the “fast track transponder) at the toll plazas might even add to the congestion they face. Add to that the multiple toll plazas (one for every 10km of travel, according to jacobs123) and you'll understand why I said the “new” road doesn't create much value for those who must use it. And mind you, the Lekki peninsula is slated for high growth, a development that will erase any value, if any, that the toll road creates.

I dunno, I'm dissatisfied with your argument to some extent, because it means that if a road has to be improved and expanded, and the state gov't doesn't have the funds to do it but they can find a private partner who is interested, then that private partner has very limited means to recover their investment. Fine, so maybe LCC should have built an above-ground toll. But what if that is an inferior overall solution to simply improving the existing road?

Sorta see what I'm saying?

Now let's address the issue you raised about the state's fiscal strength. First of all, Lagos already finances a lot of its infrastructure projects with state bonds. Lagos also seeded the concessionaire with startup money (someone please correct me, if I am wrong). The construction bonds, the seed money it provided the concessionaire, and money the state is spending on the alternate route could have allowed the state to do this on its own and then toll it for revenue. However, the section of the road that should be tolled will be the truly express lanes that were added to provide relief from congestion.

So, if the concessionaire wants to recoup its investment, let it toll only the lanes it added. That would be fair.

PS: Sorry for taking so long to respond. . . 

No worries. I had to drive my daughter back to school today and then we all had to stay there for what seemed like two hours watching mom hug her, kiss her, rob her back, and stroke her hair while saying goodbye! Anyway, I have to prepare for work tomorrow, so I'll sign off on this thread for now.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by babapupa: 3:07am On Jan 04, 2011
netotse:

@babapupa
that's a thoughtless thing to say(or even think). you sef know that if BRF were rumoured to have said that in public his chances of winning a fair election will drop by at least 20%.

What's so thoughtless about stating eventual and destined realities. Get rid of Fashola it makes you sleep well at night, it still doesn't matter who is in power, the fact that the state doesn't have enough money to satisfy our infrastructural needs remains the same.

We need to stop crying and whining, we all have to swallow many bitter pills till we get to our desired destination infrastructurally.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Mingler: 5:27am On Jan 04, 2011
Election is is coming, ACN recently lost an house of Assembly election in Ikorodu part of lagos to the PDP just few days back, it is feared that if the toll gate is imposed,the people of Lekki-Epe-Etiosa axis may give protest votes to PDP in this year's Election and this will be inimical to ACN sice the people of that axis are part of the most important indigeneous settlements in Lagos, I can bet it with you, It is coming, However, I think the project is a good idea but the price they are charging is rather much, i think 50 naira is ok, cos a lot of vehicles ply that route, enough to make the investor quickly recoop its investment.
Visit www.professionalsinnigeria.com to search and meet professionals from all over Ngeria.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by babapupa: 6:02am On Jan 04, 2011
Mingler:

Election is is coming, ACN recently lost an house of Assembly election in Ikorodu part of lagos to the PDP just few days back, it is feared that if the toll gate is imposed,the people of Lekki-Epe-Etiosa axis may give protest votes to PDP in this year's Election and this will be inimical to ACN sice the people of that axis are part of the most important indigeneous settlements in Lagos, I can bet it with you, It is coming, However, I think the project is a good idea but the price they are charging is rather much, i think 50 naira is ok, cos a lot of vehicles ply that route, enough to make the investor quickly recoop its investment.
Visit www.professionalsinnigeria.com to search and meet professionals from all over Ngeria.

I really want Fashola to call their bluff, let them go to their PDP, I'm sure PDP have a lot of nothings to offer them.

They are not going to hold the government and Lagosians hostage.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 6:20am On Jan 04, 2011
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by mysticism0(m): 9:20am On Jan 04, 2011
Sri Rudrapriya Astro Center Is A Mystical Organization Created To Uplift The Whole Of Human Society To Enable Them Balance The Equation Of Both Material And Spiritual Life. Through The Sciences Of Mysticism, Astrology, Parapsychology, Palmistry, Tarot Card Reading, Fortune Telling, Yoga Meditation, Ayur Vedic Herbs And Medicines To Cure Any Kind Of Diseases And Sicknesses Est.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sri-Rudrapriya-Astro-Center/170068696349244
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by jacobs123(m): 9:43am On Jan 04, 2011
I must commend the civility of the discussants on this thread so far but one has to wonder how babapupa reasons.

babapupa:

Are you people even aware that government is equipped with the right and sole authority to sell that or any public road to any private entity without providing all the stuff you people are crying about, talk less tolling?

This is obviously a concerned government. I do appreciate the fact that they are listening to the folks in the area and  trying to settle the issue.  I know shared sacrifice is new to many, but the government can't keep dancing to your selfish needs and complaints.

The government does not have enough money to satisfy the state's infrastructural needs and if what you desire is up to date infrastructure, we all pay to pay for it some way, some how.

You keep talking of foreign investors, the LASG has put N5 bn in this project and you keep telling us they are tolling because they have no money. I have not seen any evidence that more than N5 bn has been spent on this project yet yet money has been collected from banks.  How come the Bordillon guys don't have to pay for their road, how about the guys on Western avenue, how about the Okota link bridge?

I can't even begin to state how I feel that someone will type what you have up there in a Democracy but I guess that's the way people like you and TINUBU reason and he's taking over the whole state for himself afterall he's the GODFATHER but sorry to let you know, we are not his Godsons!!!

We are demanding a full investigation of the whole project 'cos it's just too shady.

We can't be threatened by Fashola, we've not benefitted from him and LAgos state is worse off as a result of lack of will to stand up to his evil Godfather. the N50 bn we are talking here for resurfacing of 23Km road is the budget of states like OSUN, ABIA, JIGAWA, ZAMFARA, KWARA yet they still construct a few new roads and the Governors and commissioners will steal money also.

I'm not sure you understand what N50 bn is but I guess you are just one of the ACN propaganda machines. This time you guys are sure gonna lose!!!

Eko O ni Baje!!!
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by cliveland: 11:29am On Jan 04, 2011
jacobs123:

I must commend the civility of the discussants on this thread so far but one has to wonder how babapupa reasons.

You keep talking of foreign investors, the LASG has put N5 bn in this project and you keep telling us they are tolling because they have no money. I have not seen any evidence that more than N5 bn has been spent on this project yet yet money has been collected from banks.  How come the Bordillon guys don't have to pay for their road, how about the guys on Western avenue, how about the Okota link bridge?

I can't even begin to state how I feel that someone will type what you have up there in a Democracy but I guess that's the way people like you and TINUBU reason and he's taking over the whole state for himself afterall he's the GODFATHER but sorry to let you know, we are not his Godsons!!!

We are demanding a full investigation of the whole project 'cos it's just too shady.

We can't be threatened by Fashola, we've not benefitted from him and LAgos state is worse off as a result of lack of will to stand up to his evil Godfather. the N50 bn we are talking here for resurfacing of 23Km road is the budget of states like OSUN, ABIA, JIGAWA, ZAMFARA, KWARA yet they still construct a few new roads and the Governors and commissioners will steal money also.

I'm not sure you understand what N50 bn is but I guess you are just one of the ACN propaganda machines. This time you guys are sure gonna lose!!!

Eko O ni Baje!!!

@jacob123, its so obvious babapupa is infrastructure blind, the average mid-class family in Lekki axis spends an average N100k-N200k as living expense occasioned by bad govt n neglect and some one wakes up one morning and say and so,

All Lagosians whether u live in lekki axis or not should vote out ACN in the next poll, its obvious that they have allowed BAT to windhook them to this stupid deal.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Bobajo(m): 2:23pm On Jan 04, 2011
How many of the NLs contributing to this topic actually stay along the Lekki/Epe axis? I do. I also have the advantage of having actually read the agreement covering this project. It is a bad deal for Lagos State Govt (sounds funny?). It is presently a worse deal for the people along that axis. On the face of it, PPPs are good as it frees up revenues for the Govt to do other things, but this particular one was skewed from the beginning as a result of the political/personal interests at play. Which is why LCC, with no track record of handling a project half this size - i stand to be corrected - will be the one doing the road. In short order:
1. the construction is totally useless; the completed parts are already uneven, and going bad as we speak.
2. LCC has no iota of project management expertise. Jumping from one uncompleted section of a road to another, worsening an already bad traffic situation can never be the way to construct a road (at least, i have also driven along the Oshodi/badagry Expressway, a far bigger project being done by Julius Berger
3. The illwill this tolling is generating for the Govt is unquantifiable. As many people have stated earlier, how do you start tolling a road that has no alternate road. And for the information of NLs, the Agreement contains a clause that LCC will have a right of first refusal when the Govt wants to construct the Coastal Road. In theory, they can hold us to ransom on that one too.
4. LSG actually gave LCC N20 Billion to start this project. Repayable ostensibly, but when?

I can go on, on how this is a bad deal for LSG, but let's move to the residents of the axis:

1. The road is 24 km and has 3 toll points. As at today, the alternate route LCC is quick to say exists, starts only after the Ikate Roundabout. Unless you drive a serious SUV (and i am not talking of KIA), you cannot attempt to go on the coastal route. This means that the luckiest of the road users will pay at one tolling point.

2. The road works has not reduced traffic significantly - even at the completed section. If you are on this road heading towards V/I in the late afternoons, you are on your own. Because the widened section opens into the narrow pathway further down at Walter Carrington/Bonny Camp area, it creates a gridlock so bad that i personally have turned back from meetings i was going to at least 3 times at The Palms intersection. Pay toll, then spend 3 hours getting out of V/I. Hmmm
3. The kneejerk/uncoordinated work being done by LCC has considerably worsened the already bad traffic situation. I actually have friends that stay at Ajah who wake up at 4 am in order to get to their office at 7.30am. If you dont get out of the house at 4.30am, you may actually be in the traffic till 9/9.30

I can say more, but i just tire for the matter, Somehow, we always manage to ruin good concepts after applying it the Nigerian way. My good friend Efe has told me not to complain so much again. He says afterall, Nigeria is Turn by Turn PLC, and i should await my turn. Very sad theory. Very true theory.

F
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Kilode1: 5:08pm On Jan 04, 2011
^^ Ok, these are the real road users I was waiting for. Thank you for joining the discusson here. like I mentioned earlier on, I drove  through that road in June and your accounts mirror my experiences. Post pics also if you can find time to.

I believe the sensible citizen agitation and push you guys have embarked on is the best way to go. It will be a shame if Lagosians and especially Lekki/Eti-Osa people cannot influence the Lagos State Government. Given the demographics of that area, If they can't exert enough pressure on BRF then I see very little hope for any sensible Govt-citizen engagement in Nigeria.

Bobajo:

I can say more, but i just tire for the matter, Somehow, we always manage to ruin good concepts after applying it the Nigerian way. My good friend Efe has told me not to complain so much again. He says afterall, Nigeria is Turn by Turn PLC, and i should await my turn. Very sad theory. Very true theory.

That is truly sad, but I believe we can rise above that, we know the macro effects of such thinking hurts our people collectively at the end of the day.  .  .
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by babapupa: 5:09pm On Jan 04, 2011
jacobs123:

Eko O ni Baje!!!

Saying you have not benefited from Fashola betrayed you and your comments. It strips you of whatever credibility. You don't have to remain in Lagos just to deal with ACN or Fashola, move to Ogun or Oyo state and go feel at home with your PDP folks, they'll treat you nice.  

Unfortunately for you, I don't operate on emotions and ignorance like many of you.

#1. Only an ignorant and non Lagosian compares and sites other state's budget to make a point per Lagos state and it's finances.

The states you mention are glorified towns and  villages called states

Lagos state's population is 18 million and the states you mentioned have less than half of Lagos state's population.

The societal and  infrastructural demand in Lagos state outweighs the states you mentioned combined x 10.

The states you mention are not welcoming thousands of Nigerians from every corner of Nigeria every single day and stretching the state's resources and infrastructure to the bones.

Lastly, stop feeling so important about Lagos state's money or budget, the state is extremely poor @ 2 billion dollars/18 million people and crumbling with non existing infrastructure.

#2. Talking about democracy, democracy also empowers the government to make decisions on behalf of the people to better the state and the people.

Many states in the United states/The main fountain of the same democracy you're touting are not only tolling roads with or without alternatives, they are directly selling public properties like roads, bridges, water works, parking meters and other state services to generate money for whatever.

One clown cited Chicago as a good and well governed city just to trash Lagos state and it's tolling policies, well, chicago is not only tolling, they are  leasing and selling public properties to private entities to generate money to take care of deficits and shortfalls, not even on other capital projects.

Fire Sale Chicago: After Selling Roads, Parking Meters, Mayor Mulls Leasing Water System

http://www.puppetgov.com/2009/10/26/firesale-chicago-after-selling-roads-parking-meters-mayor-mulls-leasing-water-system/

Chicago Scores $1.16B With Meter Lease Deal - Bond Buyer Article

http://www.bondbuyer.com/issues/117_230/-297115-1.html

Foreign Investors Lease US Toll Roads

http://lighthousepatriotjournal./2006/07/15/foreign-investors-lease-us-toll-roads/

Chicago is used as an example: “Last year, the city sold a 99-year lease on the eight-mile Chicago Skyway for $1.83 billion. The buyer was the same consortium that leased the Indiana Toll Road – Macquarie Infrastructure Group of Sydney, Australia, and Cinta Conseioners de Infreastructuras de Transporte of Madrid, Spain. Chicago used the money to pay off debt and fund road projects. Skyway tolls rose 50 cents to $2.50; by 2017, they will reach $5.”

And in South Africa, nearly all the government roads are tolled and many don't even have alternate routes.

You people really need to get off the emotions and start smelling the coffee.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 5:33pm On Jan 04, 2011
they will applaud when they hear things like this overseas, but shout foul if govt tries anything like it in nigeria:

Detroit converts neighborhoods into farmland

Detroit, the very symbol of American industrial might for most of the 20th century, is drawing up a radical renewal plan that calls for turning large swaths of this now-blighted, rusted-out city back into the fields and farmland that existed before the automobile.

Operating on a scale never before attempted in this country, the city would demolish houses in some of the most desolate sections of Detroit and move residents into stronger neighborhoods. Roughly a quarter of the 139-square-mile city could go from urban to semi-rural.

Near downtown, fruit trees and vegetable farms would replace neighborhoods that are an eerie landscape of empty buildings and vacant lots. Suburban commuters heading into the city center might pass through what looks like the countryside to get there. Surviving neighborhoods in the birthplace of the auto industry would become pockets in expanses of green.

Detroit officials first raised the idea in the 1990s, when blight was spreading. Now, with the recession plunging the city deeper into ruin, a decision on how to move forward is approaching. Mayor Dave Bing, who took office last year, is expected to unveil some details in his state-of-the-city address this month.

Several other declining industrial cities, such as Youngstown, Ohio, have also accepted downsizing. Since 2005, Youngstown has been tearing down a few hundred houses a year. But Detroit's plans dwarf that effort. The approximately 40 square miles of vacant property in Detroit is larger than the entire city of Youngstown.

Faced with a $300 million budget deficit and a dwindling tax base, Mr. Bing says the city can't continue to pay for police patrols, fire protection and other services for all areas.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/mar/09/detroit-looks-at-downsizing-to-save-city/

The current plan would demolish about 10,000 houses and empty buildings in three years and pump new investment into stronger neighborhoods. In the neighborhoods that would be cleared, the city would offer to relocate residents or buy them out. The city could use tax foreclosure to claim abandoned property and invoke eminent domain for those who refuse to leave, much as cities now do for freeway projects.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by suprted(m): 6:50pm On Jan 04, 2011
@tpia- is detroit a dead city or not? if the city was thriving and full of people not on some kind of welfare thanks to the fall of the auto industry, would they be doing that? what does that have to do with lagos.

and most people are forgetting that its 120/150 naira per toll per journey. Who makes one trip, won't you return? at 150 naira per toll per journey you're looking at 900 naira a day. And Lekki isn't made up of Bigmen. What of staff, what of the people who have to commute in. Even if I stole money why should I spend almost a grand a day for an uncompleted road where I can spend up to 3 hours just getting into V/I?

Yeah some people want the world for free, but most people will pay for services if they are offered. At this point in time, they aren't
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 8:04pm On Jan 04, 2011
info on lekki:

At the outset of the current spate of development in the early 90's, the corridor was regarded with great optimism by investors, real estate analysts and the various stakeholders.
This accounted for the flurry of investments that were quickly attracted to the axis during this period. Overnight, many residential housing estates sprang up like mushrooms on the landscape.

There was massive movement of people to Lekki from the Mainland Lagos and also from Victoria, Ikoyi and Lagos Island (Central Lagos) as well as from abroad.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200904010232.html

typical shortsighted nigerians who do nothing while the problem is progressing, but shout whenever an attempt is made to find a solution. undecided
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 8:09pm On Jan 04, 2011
Lekki also offered hope as a destination point for those who had become perennial victims of the area boys' menace that had gripped Central Lagos. Those who came from Ikoyi had laments of the extremely high and unaffordable property rents and prices, in addition to the increasing wave of commercialisation of some districts particularly the South West Ikoyi.

The territory had been held down by a web of negative notions. It was as if the government programmes were mapped out to dispel the fears in the real estate circle that Lekki would "cave in". Many contended that the territory was doomed while some likened it to a cul-de-sac. The worst was expected for the residents of a fully occupied Lekki.

Undocumented statistics were reeled out to back up [size=14pt]the claim that only a fraction of the expansive territory had been occupied and yet the traffic situation was already so bad.[/size]

Fueling these fears was the state of grossly inadequate infrastructure in Lekki. [size=14pt]The Lekki-Epe Expressway was the only point of entry in and out of the territory, accounting for nerve-breaking traffic bottlenecks that sometimes last for several hours.[/size]

Matters were made worse during the rainy season when the expressway becomes flooded and movement of traffic is seriously impeded.

Many decried the situation where[size=14pt] housing development was of geometric (exponential) progression, but infrastructural development stagnant[/size]. It did not make sense at all.

Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 8:21pm On Jan 04, 2011
[img]http://4.bp..com/_ukqwa9IFmR4/TRw_53tqpaI/AAAAAAAAADA/f-tzM76nwV0/s400/LEKKI_EPE_16_937015835.jpg[/img]

i really see no reason why the work should be suspended at this stage.

and most people are forgetting that its 120/150 naira per toll per journey. Who makes one trip, won't you return? at 150 naira per toll per journey you're looking at 900 naira a day. And Lekki isn't made up of Bigmen. What of staff, what of the people who have to commute in. Even if I stole money why should I spend almost a grand a day for an uncompleted road where I can spend up to 3 hours just getting into V/I?

back in the days of molue, people still paid high fees for monthly transport anyway. That's what living in lagos entails.

the main people i expect to be complaining are the commercial drivers who would have to pay multiple tolls according to usage.

for a regular person, once you pass through the toll in the morning on your way to work, why would you need to use the toll gate again before closing? As in, wouldnt you be doing whatever business you have [lunch, etc] , right there on lekki?

just asking.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 8:24pm On Jan 04, 2011

Under the new system, cars and commercial buses will pay N120 and N80 respectively, while commercial motorcycles (also known as ‘Okada’) will part with N50 as toll to ply the road.

all motorcycles passing through the Toll Plaza would also pay a standard toll tariff of N50 while the commercial minibuses popularly called ‘Danfo’ would pay N80.

He added that saloon cars and tricycles would pay N120, while Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs), minibuses and pickup vans would pay N150. Light trucks and 2-axle buses, including and heavy trucks with two or more heavy axles would be paying N250 and N350 respectively for just one trip in each case.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16807:lekki-tollgate-commercial-buses-to-pay-n80-cars-n120&catid=154:city-file&Itemid=563
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 8:25pm On Jan 04, 2011
He however disclosed that road users have a choice of paying the standard tariff, in which they have to make their payments by cash or the electronic system known as ePayment.

According to him, it is more profitable to embrace the ePayment which has two variants - eTag and SwiftPass. Each of these variants, he said, offers price reduction benefits. While SwiftPass offers five percent off the standard tolls, eTag comes with 10 percent.

He continued: “Road users who subscribe to SwiftPass with motorcycles pay N48, while those with eTag pay N45. Those who use cars and tricycles and have subscribed to SwiftPass will pay N114, even as those with eTag will pay 108. Road users with SUVs or pick-up-trucks and are on SwiftPass will pay N143, just as those with eTag will pay N135. Danfo drivers on SwiftPass will pay N76 while those on eTag will pay N72.

“Light truck drivers on SwiftPass will pay N238, while those on eTag will pay N226, and heavy trucks drivers with SwiftPass will pay N333, even as those with eTag will pay N315.” To accommodate the interest of low-income earners and ensure that commercial bus drivers do not increase fares on the route, the managing director informed that a special ‘Public Transpart Discount’ has been packaged for this class of vehicles.

“This discount applies only to commercial ‘danfo’ mini-buses. They will enjoy a 47 percent reduction off the standard toll for vehicles in their class only if their vehicles are registered to pay for their tolls using eTag,” he said. Noting that tolling is a fundamental aspect of Toll Road Concession, Oforriokuma highlighted some of the benefits motorists stand to enjoy for making use of the road: “Based on market and other research conducted in and around the Eti-Osa Lekki-Epe axis, LCC forecasts that road users should enjoy estimated savings of N25 or more per kilometer each time they use the Toll Road.”

Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 8:30pm On Jan 04, 2011

Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 8:33pm On Jan 04, 2011
@tpia- is detroit a dead city or not? if the city was thriving and full of people not on some kind of welfare thanks to the fall of the auto industry, would they be doing that? what does that have to do with lagos.

the detroit example is for those saying the govt has no right over public property.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by jacobs123(m): 9:02pm On Jan 04, 2011
^^^

In the 2nd picture posted above by tpia, this guys are waiting for the light to turn green and are stuck in traffic and that is the same for the folks behind them. So you expect them to spend 2 hrs from Ajah to Jakande then fork out N150 naira at the toll and then joint the heavy traffic from Oriental hotel.

Even if this project survives, because of the flawed contract, every Govt. in Lagos will have to be bribed to sustain it and Eti-Osa folks have to pay more!
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Stealthy(m): 9:50pm On Jan 04, 2011
I tire for folks like tpia & babapupa. U guys keep bringing up USA. But in reality how many roads within cities are tolled in USA? I was in LA recently. I did not drive on a single tolled road. I know some intercity roads are tolled abroad. But that's like putting tolls on Lagos-Ibadan - no one would complain about that.

It is unfair to put tolls on a road that people use on their daily commute to work/school/shop. Worse still that it's 3 toll gates on such a short stretch (compare to 3 tolls previously on the ~120km Lagos-Ibadan expressway). Even worse still, the road construction has significantly increased traffic on that road and only about 25% of the work is complete. This can only happen in Naija!
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Stealthy(m): 10:06pm On Jan 04, 2011
tpia1:

they will applaud when they hear things like this overseas, but shout foul if govt tries anything like it in nigeria:

The reason Nigerians are generally oppossed to more tax, more fees, more tolls:
In USA, you have Police to protect you. In Naija, the police tax you and you still have to pay for maigard, OPC, etc to actually protect you.
In USA, there is a good electricity system. In Naija, you run your own mini power plant
In USA, there is a good public water system. In Naija, you need to have your own borehole/water treatment plant.
In USA, there is a good drainage system. In Naija, you & your neighbours will contribute to clear the drains.

My point? You are essentially your own govt in naija - the govt is only efficient in collecting tax/fees/tolls. In the USA & other developed countries, you see your tax at work, so there's more willingness to pay extra for some services. In naija, it's not the same! As I posted earlier, the Excess Crude Account has been effectively wiped out, with claims that the money is withdrawn for "infrastructural development".

I hope you guys can see the difference and compare more objectively. Lagos is not Detroit/Houston/London/Chicago/LA/London/Kuala Lumpur.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by tpia1: 10:13pm On Jan 04, 2011
Stealthy:

I tire for folks like tpia & babapupa. U guys keep bringing up USA. But in reality how many roads within cities are tolled in USA? I was in LA recently. I did not drive on a single tolled road. I know some intercity roads are tolled abroad. But that's like putting tolls on Lagos-Ibadan - no one would complain about that.

It is unfair to put tolls on a road that people use on their daily commute to work/school/shop. Worse still that it's 3 toll gates on such a short stretch (compare to 3 tolls previously on the ~120km Lagos-Ibadan expressway). Even worse still, the road construction has significantly reduced traffic on that road and only about 25% of the work is complete. This can only happen in Naija!

google is your friend.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/04/toll_exemption_for_grand_isle.html
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Stealthy(m): 10:31pm On Jan 04, 2011
tpia1:

google is your friend.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/04/toll_exemption_for_grand_isle.html
Lol! What a laughable way to try to debunk my points.

I didn't say: No single city road is tolled anywhere in USA. I asked how many? How common is it? Even in the example you gave, the residents clearly oppose it deeply. Also notice that there was attempt to exempt people who permanently reside in the place.

As I said, even in very rich LA, the stars don't have to pay tolls to reach their homes. Tolling on city roads in rare in USA. That's a fact. No one would complain much if Lagos-Ibadan is tolled because people typically wont commute that road daily. No one complained when most express-ways in Naija had tolls - the tolls were removed when trailers/tankers with failed brakes kept killing people at the toll gates.

Give me an example anywhere with similar specifics. I quote myself again:
Worse still that it's 3 toll gates on such a short stretch (compare to 3 tolls previously on the ~120km Lagos-Ibadan expressway). Even worse still, the road construction has significantly reduced increased traffic on that road and only about 25% of the work is complete. This can only happen in Naija!
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by netotse(m): 11:39pm On Jan 04, 2011
babapupa:

Saying you have not benefited from Fashola betrayed you and your comments. It strips you of whatever credibility. You don't have to remain in Lagos just to deal with ACN or Fashola, move to Ogun or Oyo state and go feel at home with your PDP folks, they'll treat you nice.  

Unfortunately for you, I don't operate on emotions and ignorance like many of you.

#1. Only an ignorant and non Lagosian compares and sites other state's budget to make a point per Lagos state and it's finances.

The states you mention are glorified towns and  villages called states

Lagos state's population is 18 million and the states you mentioned have less than half of Lagos state's population.

The societal and  infrastructural demand in Lagos state outweighs the states you mentioned combined x 10.

The states you mention are not welcoming thousands of Nigerians from every corner of Nigeria every single day and stretching the state's resources and infrastructure to the bones.

Lastly, stop feeling so important about Lagos state's money or budget, the state is extremely poor @ 2 billion dollars/18 million people and crumbling with non existing infrastructure.

#2. Talking about democracy, democracy also empowers the government to make decisions on behalf of the people to better the state and the people.

Many states in the United states/The main fountain of the same democracy you're touting are not only tolling roads with or without alternatives, they are directly selling public properties like roads, bridges, water works, parking meters and other state services to generate money for whatever.

One clown cited Chicago as a good and well governed city just to trash Lagos state and it's tolling policies, well, chicago is not only tolling, they are  leasing and selling public properties to private entities to generate money to take care of deficits and shortfalls, not even on other capital projects.

Fire Sale Chicago: After Selling Roads, Parking Meters, Mayor Mulls Leasing Water System

http://www.puppetgov.com/2009/10/26/firesale-chicago-after-selling-roads-parking-meters-mayor-mulls-leasing-water-system/

Chicago Scores $1.16B With Meter Lease Deal - Bond Buyer Article

http://www.bondbuyer.com/issues/117_230/-297115-1.html

Foreign Investors Lease US Toll Roads

http://lighthousepatriotjournal./2006/07/15/foreign-investors-lease-us-toll-roads/

Chicago is used as an example: “Last year, the city sold a 99-year lease on the eight-mile Chicago Skyway for $1.83 billion. The buyer was the same consortium that leased the Indiana Toll Road – Macquarie Infrastructure Group of Sydney, Australia, and Cinta Conseioners de Infreastructuras de Transporte of Madrid, Spain. Chicago used the money to pay off debt and fund road projects. Skyway tolls rose 50 cents to $2.50; by 2017, they will reach $5.”

And in South Africa, nearly all the government roads are tolled and many don't even have alternate routes.

You people really need to get off the emotions and start smelling the coffee.

you failed to answer an important question he asked. . .why does the road cost more to build in lagos? all the reasons you pasted above can be seen as reasons why it should NOT cost more than it would cost to build same road in said rural areas.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by manny4life(m): 1:31am On Jan 05, 2011
I agree with what some people on here are saying; tolling on non-intercity highways is inappropriate. Although the only place I know of in VA where I stay is the Dulles toll road and you pay $0.75 though and only once. I guess this is due to because it is privately owned and obviously extends to Dulles International Airport, VA. Even at that, not many people use Dulles toll road anyways, there's always a shortcut which seems more time consuming due to traffic, so the govt responded. The Silver line of the WMATA  is extending the Dulles Rail project and completed by 2013 so for those who don't wanna pay tolls can board the trains. The Silver line would get constant funding from Dulles Airport and the City of Reston/Herndon, Fairfax, and all other cities linked with the project. Those who constructed that road will have a lot to deal with.

My point is although there are tolls, but not everyone wanna pay that amount all the time and govt should make provisions for those who chose not to use it. Keep in mind that Dulles Toll is more than 28 miles / 46 kilometers with 8 lanes (four on each side). As for the cost, I think it's a lil bit on the high side but hey I'm just me. I think it's even more ridiculous to have 3 tolls on a 23km highway about 14miles. That's about one toll per 7.67km, that's plain kukus.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by Kobojunkie: 1:41am On Jan 05, 2011
I live in Chicago and I don’t pay tolls to use any of the main roads, not even the main interstate here, unless when I am actually leaving Chicago on highway(There are so many side roads that you only need to use the highway when you need to). You do not need to pay toll to enter the city or leave the city, and the suburbs as well.

Though the mayor has leased most of the roads to private companies, it in no wise implies that Chicagoans now pay so much more for the same services than they used to. NO. The decision to lease these facilities to private companies(i.e. have private companies handle the day to day running of these facilities) was made to help cut down on the cost, of running such facilities ,on the city while at the same time helping generate well needed funds.  The city was unable to efficiently manage these tools for years, and leasing/contracting it out to private companies cuts daily maintenance cost and overhead on government and also helps bring in needed income they were intended to in the first place. 

There has also been tremendous improvements as a result of the lease outs. For one, parking meters are updated and easier to use. The parking areas are well marked compared to the way it used to be. People now have more control over their parking than they used to, and the city did not have to increase taxes to pay for the improvements.

As for the Chicago Skyway(I-90) there is (I-94) and other local routes for those who are not interested in paying the increased toll still. This, believe is not even similar in many ways to the Lekki situation, so it ought not to be compared in anywise to this in anywise.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by ekubear1: 2:16am On Jan 05, 2011
@Pifa: I understand your perspective now. While I disagree with it, I cannot say it is unreasonable.

Anyway, I hope that BRF will be able to find a good solution to what now seems a very messy predicament  undecided
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by babapupa: 2:40am On Jan 05, 2011
netotse:

you failed to answer an important question he asked. . .why does the road cost more to build in lagos? all the reasons you pasted above can be seen as reasons why it should NOT cost more than it would cost to build same road in said rural areas.

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I'm thinking lack of ability to read and understand or Dyslexia, either way, I can not help you.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by babapupa: 3:22am On Jan 05, 2011
Stealthy:

It is unfair to put tolls on a road that people use on their daily commute to work/school/shop. Worse still that it's 3 toll gates on such a short stretch (compare to 3 tolls previously on the ~120km Lagos-Ibadan expressway). Even worse still, the road construction has significantly increased traffic on that road and only about 25% of the work is complete. This can only happen in Naija!

You really should be tired for yourself because of your inability to spot the differences and dynamics  between  The City Of Los Angeles and Lagos State.

#1. Los Angeles is a city, not a state like Lagos State.

#2. The population of the City of Los Angeles is 3 million and their budget is 7 billion dollars (A city, not a state)

#3The population of the State of Lagos is 18 million and the budget is only 2 billion dollars (A Real state)

#4. The infrastructure in Los Angeles is fully developed and most of their budget is not going towards capital projects, they are basically maintaining decades old infrastructure.

#5 The state of Lagos is starting from scratch with a huge chunk of the budget going towards capital projects.

Now, to deal with your misguided comment about toll roads in LA. Who really should be tolling roads? A rich and fully developed city with 7 billion dollars budget and just 3 million people or a non developed and poor state with a budget of 2 billion dollars and 18 million people?

There is little or no need for a fully developed and rich city like LA to toll roads, but there is more than enough need for the State Of Lagos to toll roads, Lagos is a poor state saddled with the ultimate responsibility of taking care of millions of folks from every corner of Nigeria in search of a better life and opportunity, the same better life and opportunity that the federal government is not providing. 

A whole lot of you people are too petty, shortsighted and unrealistic, you have little or no life experience to guide and help you think wisely and formulate good judgment.

I tip my hat to the Great State of Lagos for doing so much, looking after and taking care of 18 million people with chump change less than 3 years into Fashola's administration.
Re: Fashola Suspends Lekki Expressway Toll Collection by netotse(m): 6:54am On Jan 05, 2011
babapupa:

I'm not sure what your problem is, but I'm thinking lack of ability to read and understand or Dyslexia, either way, I can not help you.
touche. . .apparently you cant help yourself either. your (well-documented)knee-jerk reactions as far as LASG is concerned is more telling than you think cheesy

P.S. My guess is that you were going for a stylish insult right? you're going to have to do much better than that. . .smh

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Political Boko Haram / FG To Begin Export Of Farm Produce / Nabena To Security Agents: Go After Sheik Gumi Over Attack On Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.