Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,465 members, 7,781,347 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:55 PM

Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? (13141 Views)

IS it right for a dad to bath his 15years old daughter? / CCTV Exposed His Daughter's Sexual Escapade. / Overbearing Mum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 7:56pm On Dec 30, 2010
Ok so today i was watching tv and then my dad sent me on an errand. I didnt take my phone with me(looking back now,i cannot understand what possessed me to leave it behind),and when i came back i met him sitting down,calmly going through my phone. I dont have anything nasty on my phone-no lurid pics or vids,but i dont delete text messages. Thats the only 'incriminating' thing on my phone. I knew he'd read my messages because he had the 'boy' look(the one where his face gets hard and his eyes turn red if anyone so much as mentions boy). He then began his favorite lecture-the one about my education,my future,blah blah blah,completely glossing over the fact that he invaded my privacy. The worst part is that i dont even have a secret boyfriend. Heck,i dont have any kind of boyfriend,secret or public,and he was lecturing me for something im not even doing. The most painful aspect is that we get along swimmingly,but when it comes to boy mata,he is obsessed with protecting my virtue or worreva,completely overlooking the fact that if i wanted to be rotten i would be rotten,overprotective parent or not. Do you think it was right for him to go through my phone? P.s-Sorry for the long post. I needed to rant.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Vicjustice: 8:07pm On Dec 30, 2010
It actually depends on factors like your age, your attitudes especially when considered suspicious (not necessarily regarding romance relationship), but also likely, he might be interested to know what you do and the kind of friends you associate with.
   Respecting your privacy or introding into it, every reasonable parent would want to have some ideas of their children's activities, especially when the child seems to be somehow secretive; Nobody wants to have his loved child fall into trouble: and remember, when you get yourself into trouble, your parents will be the ones to bear the burden. So, please, don't give out on him, he's probably trying to be protective, so, you should appreciate him for caring to know more about your private life.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by omega25red(m): 8:15pm On Dec 30, 2010
how old are you and who pays the phone bill? if your answer is under 18 and daddy then just deal with it till you can afford to pay for your phone yourself. Besides he just cares due to all the news of sexting and kids doing all types of rubbish through their phones. just deal with it for now.

and if you say you are over 18 then its time to get your own place
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 8:37pm On Dec 30, 2010
@Omega,im under 18 buh i pay my phone bills. He always says that if you cant afford to maintain a phone then dont get one. I know all about sexting(i think its incredibly s.tupid,by the way) and the naughty things kids do with their phones buh i dont do that. This is where trust comes in. If he had any kind of trust in the kinda daughter he's raising then he wouldnt go to that extent. Thats the crux of the matter-he just doesnt trust me.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by shevchenko(m): 8:38pm On Dec 30, 2010
For crying out loud,he is your dad.what is it with you girls and privacy?When something bad happens to you,you will run home n cry on dad's shoulders
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by 190: 8:48pm On Dec 30, 2010
your dad is a bad guy!

he doesn't want no guy chopping his daughter's kpekus and cleaning mouth there after~!
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 8:50pm On Dec 30, 2010
@Vic,im not the secretive type. And if he's that interested in whats going on in my life then why doesnt he just ask me?
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 8:54pm On Dec 30, 2010
shevchenko:

For crying out loud,he is your dad.what is it with you girls and privacy?When something bad happens to you,you will run home n cry on dad's shoulders
. . Yes i will run to daddy cos he's my family and i depend on my family to help me out when im in trouble cos that's his job as a parent. My own is that he should respect my privacy. If he wants to know what is happening in my life,bad or not,then he should ask me.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 8:56pm On Dec 30, 2010
190:

your dad is a bad guy!

he doesn't want no guy chopping his daughter's kpekus and cleaning mouth there after~!

i know that most fathers are over-protective but his own is too much abeg. What he doesnt understand is whether he's protective or not,if i want to be bad i will be bad.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 30, 2010
Wait till you are 18, before you start ranting, right now, you are still a child to him.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Omolola1(f): 9:06pm On Dec 30, 2010
there is nothing wrong with it since u re not yet an adult
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by kennylat: 9:10pm On Dec 30, 2010
Atreides:

. . Yes i will run to daddy cos he's my family and i depend on my family to help me out when im in trouble cos that's his job as a parent. My own is that he should respect my privacy. If he wants to know what is happening in my life,bad or not,then he should ask me.

Prevention is better than cure.

He is preventing the situation.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by 190: 9:20pm On Dec 30, 2010
Atreides:

i know that most fathers are over-protective but his own is too much abeg. What he doesnt understand is whether he's protective or not,if i want to be bad i will be bad.

You sound like a young gurl who is fighting for her freedom
A young gurl who is desperate to go out there and see the world

Listen Young lady,
Lemme advise you, There is nothing out there, your dad is doing the right thing for you
the world is a wicked place and he know's this,

My people say what a child cant see from on top of a tree,an elder sees from inside his bedroom
so relax dear,I once passed through the same plight you are going through now, when the right tyme comes
he would release you into the world then you would be matured to fight for yourself but for now you aint just ready!!

okay~ relax
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by tpia1: 9:23pm On Dec 30, 2010
The most painful aspect is that we get along swimmingly,but when it comes to boy mata,he is obsessed with protecting my virtue or worreva,completely overlooking the fact that if i wanted to be rotten i would be rotten,overprotective parent or not. Do you think it was right for him to go through my phone?

and why would you want to be rotten?

what's the gain there.

imo, if he's paying the phone bill, he did nothing wrong.

even if he isnt paying the bill sef.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Dec 30, 2010
i'm going to have to disagree with the majority of opinions on here.

the thing about trust is that u have to give it when u're certain and when u're in doubt. however, if he felt a need to go through your phone and make sure there was no secret life in there or serial rapist using your head, i think he should have done so in your presence, with your permission.

nonetheless if you calm down for a bit, you'll just see that he's doing his best to protect his baby, and honey you won't understand why he feels threatened until you have something u're willing to die for (or kill) to protect. only happens when you have a child u love more than the world. what he did is irritating, but please go easy on him wink.

you could talk to him about it (and i know you won't like the idea), but by bringing it up and discussing it, and letting him know that u're willing to answer (almost grin) any question he has, he'll take ur word more seriously.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 9:46pm On Dec 30, 2010
tpia1:

and why would you want to be rotten?

what's the gain there.

imo, if he's paying the phone bill, he did nothing wrong.

even if he isnt paying the bill sef.
I dont want to be rotten. Im not gonna rebel just to make a point because i would be hurting myself in the process. If i decide to start being intimate with guys and then get knocked up,who is gonna carry the pregnancy? Him or me? If i decide to smoke pot and then add weight and then become anorexic and then starve myself how does that prove anything? If im on crack and i O.D,what point am i proving? The whole if i wanted to be rotten bit was just to show that im the way i am because im thinking of the beautiful future i know i'll have and i dont want to mess that up-not because im afraid of daddy or because he's being over-protective. Whether he's protective or not,im gonna end up being who i choose to be,bad or good. And he is NOT paying my phone bills. He's not even the one who bought the phone for me.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 30, 2010
^^^ take a deep breath hon, count to ten, imagine him wearing a tutu, and smile kiss there! feeling better?
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 9:51pm On Dec 30, 2010
iceblue:

^^^ take a deep breath hon, count to ten, imagine him wearing a tutu, and smile kiss there! feeling better?
hahahahaha. . Lwkmd. . I jus did! That was priceless!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 9:55pm On Dec 30, 2010
@ice,thank you! You're the only one who seems to understand that this isnt just about invading my privacy,its about trust. Oh and Talk to him? Ke? Answer any question ke? He'll never be comfortable enough to ask me anything about boys. And i definitely wouldnt be comfortable talking to him about one Chike who toasted me or one guy i like. It would be beyond awkward!!!
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 30, 2010
^^^ u're welcome grin . trust goes both ways baybee. well, i put the almost for a reason (a girl needs her secrets naw, abi?). but bringing up the subject is an indication that you are willing to meet him halfway (and hopefully with time, he'll see he doesn't need to check your phone for info), and that is a sign of maturity that is impossible to ignore. it also says 'dad, i'm trusting u not to freak out when i drop the occasional boy gist'. if he wants it, he'll meet u halfway, if not he'll back away. not all parents can take the truth in its entirety.

if he bugs u too much, ask him about his ex-girlfriends grin grin grin (i'm joking o!)
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by tpia1: 11:31pm On Dec 30, 2010
Atreides:

@ice,thank you! You're the only one who seems to understand that this isnt just about invading my privacy,its about trust. Oh and Talk to him? Ke? Answer any question ke? He'll never be comfortable enough to ask me anything about boys. And i definitely wouldnt be comfortable talking to him about on Chike who toasted him or one guy i like. It wuldbe beyond awkward!!!

no vex abeg.

i'm sure he wasnt comfortable going through your phone either. grin grin
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Wumine(f): 12:14am On Dec 31, 2010
I don't see anything wrong in your dad going through your phone as long as he doesnt make it a habit. Occassionally checking what you are up to means he cares about you, believe it or not. And did you say you are under 18? And what is this talk about if u want to be rotten blah blah blah? Let me tell you, there is no gain in it at all so please get that off your mind. You dad cares about you and you should appreciate that, i would have given anything for that at your age but i guess some aint that lucky.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by iice(f): 7:25am On Dec 31, 2010
Lol @ invasion of privacy.
We'll always be children to our parents.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 7:29am On Dec 31, 2010
@Wumine,you're getting it all wrong. Me saying if i wanted to be rotten i would be doesnt mean i want to be rotten. It means that regardless of my dad's protectiveness,i will make a choice as to who ill turn out to be. I choose to be the way i am because i have plans for my life,for my future and because i am not gonna mess that up,not because im afraid of daddy or because he's overprotective. At some point or the other i will leave home and go out into the world. If i was being a good girl because of my daddy,then what happens when he's not there? Dont you think id get drunk on my new-found freedom and do crazy things? But because being a 'good girl' is a decision ive made for me and for no one else,whether im at home or im anywhere else ill continue doing the right thing because its something i believe in. I choose to be 'good',and that choice determines how i live my life-not because daddy will flog me or worreva. That choice is the reason why i would never rebel just to make a point,because i cannot take that kinda risk with my future. Its not that i want to be rotten or anything,because i dont.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Atreides(f): 7:34am On Dec 31, 2010
iice:

Lol @ invasion of privacy.
We'll always be children to our parents.

tell me about it. He always says that even when im 24 and living on my own he can still come to my apartment with a cane to flog me if i did something naughty.
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 31, 2010
///
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by playmate(f): 10:36am On Dec 31, 2010
@chaircover
that was a good one. thumbs up! wink wink
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by smallboy2(m): 5:52pm On Dec 31, 2010
If you are truthful to yourself and dont have "Skeleton in your cupboard" then there is nothing wrong in your dad browsing through your phone.
Join Africans in the Link bellow to have fun
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by Eyayomosko: 5:58pm On Dec 31, 2010
As for mean,i will be free with my daughter,i will even ask her if she is any relationship and try to meet the boy
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by twinskenny(m): 6:03pm On Dec 31, 2010
@topic

either you are 2 or you are 100yrs old he is your dad, and I believe he know the best for you, and since you are still under his roof he has the authority to do whatever he likes, and i dont see that as over protective, HE LOVES YOU
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by MeGaStReEt: 6:24pm On Dec 31, 2010
childrenofnowadays
Re: Is It Right For A Dad To Go Through His Daughter's Phone? Could He Be Any More Overbearing? by DisGuy: 6:28pm On Dec 31, 2010
since you dont have anything incriminating in your phone what's the big deal, you should have told 'happy now?' wink

or show him the funny ones since you say you get on well and tell him you dnt actually like him going through your stuff

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Do You Do When Your Husband Refuse To Pick Your Call Anytime He Is In D Clu / Edo Man Returns Wife To Her Parents, Says Her Virginal Is Too Wide / Woman Divorces Her Husband Of 25 Years For Turning Her Into A Punching Bag

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.