Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,490 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? (993 Views)

Tower Of Babel (biblical Narration) / Mark Of The Beast: Will It Be A Literal Mark On The Forehead Or The Right Hand? / Tower Of Babel, An Insight Into Space Exploration And Architectural Revolution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Apr 02, 2020
Sometimes I think we are interpreting the bible too literally. Come to think of it, can it be the Tower of Babel was not just a literal tower but a symbolism refering to a world system or world order. Your humble opinion is needed. Lets discuss this together
Mynd44
Dominique
Lalasticlala

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by sunnyfats: 9:46pm On Apr 02, 2020
From my understanding, it is not a physical building or structure..
It is the thoughts of men at that age and time.

I will do the research again and probably post it later...with biblical references.

1 Like

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by nlPoster: 9:58pm On Apr 02, 2020
Tower of babel needed in romance section specifically.

Those people are getting on my nerves so much. . . .
Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by MuttleyLaff: 2:52am On Apr 03, 2020
Kenplay:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/11300939_z_jpegb87c237fb6040ee92ab708d2698a4f66

Sometimes I think we are interpreting the bible too literally. Come to think of it, can it be the Tower of Babel was not just a literal tower but a symbolism refering to a world system or world order. Your humble opinion is needed. Lets discuss this together
Mynd44
Dominique
Lalasticlala

sunnyfats:
From my understanding, it is not a physical building or structure..
It is the thoughts of men at that age and time.

I will do the research again and probably post it later...with biblical references.
"The LORD said, "Look, they are one people, and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do.
So now nothing which they plan to do will be too difficult for them..
"
- Genesis 11:6

"And Jehovah said, Behold, the people is one, and have all one language; and this have they begun to do.
And now will they be hindered in nothing that they meditate doing.
"

"The LORD said, "Look! They are one people with the same language for all of them,
and this is only the beginning of what they will do.
Nothing that they have a mind to do will be impossible for them!
"

Yes, you are absolutely right because many years ago, on satellite channels whether TBN, Revelation, Wonderful etcetera I am not sure which, but anyway, I watched Jesse Duplantis preached that the tower itself was never physically built and what he said was it was a thought, they conceived in the minds and the formed plan, if they were left to their own devices, were going to make a reality of the idea to then build a physical tower structure that reaches up to heavens. Of course, not literally reaching into real sky, as if like tallest building skyscrapers in NY city's skyline, but it actually was going to be their symbol of, sticking two fingers in the air, up to God and use it, to showcase as a public display, for the world to see, their monumental act of defiance effort and/or total disregard of God.

The Greek used in Genesis 11:6 is "zamam" which when translated means either of intention, consideration, fixed thought about doing things, etcetera, usually all in a bad sense or evil plots.

The Tower of Babel, itself, didnt get to being physically built, but when God perished their thought to build the tower, by confusing their language, which was the vehicle for communicating the idea to become reality, the people called the city Babel, because of the language confusion brought upon them (i.e. Genesis 11:9)
Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by lepasharon(f): 4:06am On Apr 03, 2020
Kenplay:
Mynd44
Dominique
Lalasticlala

You never asked if adam and were literal..you dey jump go tower of babel

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by Nobody: 5:56am On Apr 03, 2020
lepasharon:

Please dont derail this tread, stick to what you know best.

1 Like

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by Dantedasz(m): 7:23am On Apr 03, 2020
lepasharon:

Can you just see the religionists twisting and turning trying to explain away their silly tales and fables in their story book. undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by Dantedasz(m): 7:30am On Apr 03, 2020
3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.

4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

5 And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.

Genesis chapter 11 verses 3-5 is certainly self explanatory that this was a physical building because the fable writers ignorantly believed that an old man with a long white beard lived in the sky.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:45am On Apr 03, 2020
Kenplay:
Sometimes I think we are interpreting the bible too literally. Come to think of it, can it be the Tower of Babel was not just a literal tower but a symbolism refering to a world system or world order.

SO HOW DO WE SEPARATE THE LITERAL AND METAPHORICAL PARTS OF THE BIBLE?

IF YOU AGREE THAT ONE PART IS FIGURATIVE, HOW SURE ARE YOU THAT SEVERAL OTHER PARTS AND EVENTUALLY THE WHOLE BOOK IS NOT FIGURATIVE?

NOW WHY SHOULD WE TAKE A FIGURATIVE BOOK SERIOUSLY, AND BASE OUR WHOLE LIVES ON IT?

THE TRUTH IS, THERE'S NOT A SINGLE BELIEVER WHO HAS READ MANY PARTS OF THE BIBLE AND DIDN'T SEE SOMETHING THAT MADE THEM CHUCKLE.
THEY OBVIOUSLY GO "THIS THING IS IMPOSSIBLE", SO THEY JUST MAKE EXCUSES BECAUSE THEY CAN'T BRING THEMSELVES TO ACCEPT THAT THEIR GOD INSPIRED HOLY BOOK IS A TRASHY, INACCURATE, BADLY WRITTEN MATERIAL.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by Funaki: 8:42am On Apr 03, 2020
Dantedasz:
3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.

4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

5 And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.

Genesis chapter 11 verses 3-5 is certainly self explanatory that this was a physical building because the fable writers ignorantly believed that an old man with a long white beard lived in the sky.

And the Lord came down to see.

3 Likes

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by Dantedasz(m): 8:53am On Apr 03, 2020
Funaki:

Can you imagine how messed up and silly that book is? Just like a kiddies cartoon full of astounding rubbish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ldI2FJQ_oE

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by CAPSLOCKED: 9:09am On Apr 03, 2020
Funaki:

AN ALL-KNOWING GOD "HEARS A RUMOUR", AND THEN COMES DOWN TO "SEE" FOR HIMSELF.

GENESIS 18-19, TOTAL INSANITY. JUST IMAGINE GOD AND ABRAHAM BARGAINING THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE THE GOOD LOVING GOD SHOULD KILL.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by Nobody: 9:31am On Apr 03, 2020
CAPSLOCKED. i swear u dey vex ooo grin

1 Like

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by lepasharon(f): 11:09am On Apr 03, 2020
Kenplay:

Please dont derail this tread, stick to what you know best.

Excuse me? You really think the adam and eve story makes more sense than the towel of Babel?
Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by lepasharon(f): 11:10am On Apr 03, 2020
Dantedasz:

Can you just see the religionists twisting and turning trying to explain away their silly tales and fables in their story book. undecided

Rationalizing the irrational must be so stressful cheesy
Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by lepasharon(f): 11:14am On Apr 03, 2020
Funaki:

grin
Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Apr 03, 2020

1 Like

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by lepasharon(f): 9:44pm On Apr 03, 2020
Kenplay:

Please take your shallowness away from here please. If not you wont like the next word I might tell you.

Haha..bring it on
Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by Image123(m): 8:43pm On Apr 05, 2020
CAPSLOCKED:

AN ALL-KNOWING GOD "HEARS A RUMOUR", AND THEN COMES DOWN TO "SEE" FOR HIMSELF.

GENESIS 18-19, TOTAL INSANITY. JUST IMAGINE GOD AND ABRAHAM BARGAINING THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE THE GOOD LOVING GOD SHOULD KILL.

Anything wrong with coming down to see? He must only stay up to see to truly be God?

By the way, the good loving God is the Judge of the whole earth. If you do anyhow, you see anyhow from Him. Only ignorant people don't know these things.

Rom 11:22 KJV Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

1 Like

Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 05, 2020
Kenplay:
Mynd44
Dominique
Lalasticlala

When you study the BIBLE diligently and meditate thoroughly on what you read in the Bible, you will grasp simple things like the tower of Babel!

Do not forget that the event leading to the time of this tower was the global deluge of Noah's time, according to the Bible only 8 persons survived whereas everything on dry land died simply because Noah's Ark rose above all the mountains.

So what this people thought is that God may try such a thing again, this time they don't have to fear if they're able to build the tallest tower, no matter the amount of rainfall next time they will keep climbing until the water subsides! wink
Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by MuttleyLaff: 9:28pm On Apr 05, 2020
Kenplay:
Please take your shallowness away from here please.
If not you wont like the next word I might tell you.

Kenplay, oh, ants! Ants, ants, ants!

C'mon nah, you are reacting as if you dont know that you can't have a picnic without ants crawling in.
Then you see them. Now you dont, lol
Re: Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? by Image123(m): 9:30pm On Apr 05, 2020
Kenplay:
Mynd44
Dominique
Lalasticlala

It was a literal tower. It's like when you are playing games like cooking with sand and sticks instead of going to school or reading for an imminent exam. Your mum or senior sibling may scatter that nonsense you're taking serious. Not because they take it seriously but because you're taken seriously. Or like a child that used to be first position but went to 5th position because he's spending time on his PlayStation than on his books. The parent can decide to seize the privilege.
God gave man a mandate/assignment of scattering round the earth and filling it up. Man started playing foolish games in direct contrast to the command.

Gen 9:1 KJV And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

Gen 11:4 KJV And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

This Is More Important Than Recognising 'The Mark Of The Beast' / When Last Did Your Pastor Preach Against Sin/corruption/immorality? / Shiloh Is Bad, The Glory Left The House At Shiloh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.