Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,906 members, 7,806,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Mechanic Roundtable - Car Talk (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mechanic Roundtable (72476 Views)

Fakuade, Taiwo Ojo, Others To Speak On Ekiti Knowledge Zone At Efa Roundtable / Mechanic Roundtable Talk For Master Brake & ABS / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 9:33pm On Feb 12, 2021
henryutd:

I was advised to replace the transmission. I hope this works. Because the digits scare me.

Better still buy another tranny. And it's quite expensive now
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by tzars(m): 12:02am On Feb 13, 2021
I love what you are doing here. Please my car a Toyota Camry 2010 V6 engine vibrates excessively when I drive. Initially I thought it was the tires, which I changed but the vibration continues. It vibrates when I accelerate, and when I lift my leg from the throttle, it won't vibrate again. What could be the cause pls?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 12:05am On Feb 13, 2021
tzars:
I love what you are doing here. Please my car a Toyota Camry 2010 V6 engine vibrates excessively when I drive. Initially I thought it was the tires, which I changed but the vibration continues. It vibrates when I accelerate, and when I lift my leg from the throttle, it won't vibrate again. What could be the cause pls?

In lay man's term it could be the shaft cup, it could be the engine seat and after I will prefer to run diagnosis just to pinpoint the cause
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by tzars(m): 12:21am On Feb 13, 2021
Thanks for the quick response. I'll go run diagnosis.
Blackbishop:

In lay man's term it could be the shaft cup, it could be the engine seat and after I will prefer to run diagnosis just to pinpoint the cause
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 12:22am On Feb 13, 2021
tzars:
Thanks for the quick response. I'll go run diagnosis.

Anytime boss
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by olasha1(m): 5:06pm On Feb 15, 2021
Blackbishop:
Good day house this is Ayodele Bishop of B-Automobile Nigeria

[quote author=GAZZUZZ post=99005509]

I responded to this somewhere

Hi the engineers in the house, i need your help seriously..

I bought this ford rangers 2012 from a company that it has a faulty top cylinder & not moving . So after i bought it i tow it to my mechanic and he fixed it by changing the top gasket or top cylinder, (i dnt really know) & it works for just 5days when it started over hitting & other malfunctioning.

So i took to other mechanics and open it, only for him to tell me that my mechanic did a bad job, that d car should rather be taken to a diesel mechanic for proper repair instead of my mechanic (a petrol mechanic).

So now d mechanic opened it & be given unnecessary bill (cost)
Now d bill he gives me is too much & i need d following here

1. A good diesel mechanic in Lagos as i base in ajah
2. How much can d top gasket cost
3. How much can i get Cylinder assy benjohn (thats d name he called it)
4. What can be d solution to this problem as d oil now mixed with water
5. How much can new engine or very good tokunbo cost
.. P

Pls i need ur timely assistance and response as i am regretting buying d car already
08068717899 my watshapp
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by johnny4u2(m): 6:06pm On Feb 15, 2021
Good day Engineers in the house. My Toyota Tacoma 2011 model had been misbehaving lately.
I scanned it this morning and it came up with the following codes:
1. PO171 - Systems too lean Bank 1
2. PO174 - Systems too lean Bank 2
3. PO441- Evaporative Emission System incorrect Purge Flow
4. PO455- Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Large Leak)

Please what do I need to do or change?
God bless you abundantly.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by nonhuman(m): 4:54pm On Feb 16, 2021
Please guru in house Should I run away from infinity i35 2002 model please urgent answer needed
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 9:56pm On Feb 16, 2021
nonhuman:
Please guru in house Should I run away from infinity i35 2002 model please urgent answer needed

In fact disappear from it

2 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by nonhuman(m): 6:56am On Feb 17, 2021
Blackbishop:

In fact disappear from it
even when the prize is good
And please sir what are the common problems associated with the car
Outside fuel guzzling, v6, 3.5L engine
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by nonhuman(m): 11:16am On Feb 17, 2021
nonhuman:
even when the prize is good
And please sir what are the common problems associated with the car
Outside fuel guzzling, v6, 3.5L engine
still expecting an answer
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 2:25pm On Feb 17, 2021
nonhuman:
still expecting an answer

Sorry for the late reply boss

Apart from the normal fuel consumption which is not pronounce like that, Oil sludge resulting in engine failure on the long run.
Also suspension issue.

The decision falls on you boss
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by yolkman20: 10:45pm On Feb 18, 2021
Good day,

Please, I need una help. It's my first car and I'm not really experienced about cars...I discovered that my corolla 03 power goes off on motion, then the steering becomes strong, I couldn't change gear and many more.

Off it and tried kicking it, but it'll only show light on the dashboard but won't kick. I later discovered that the battery light doesn't show once I ignite. I got a rewire guy around and he did something to the fuse under the steering side, it only moved for some time and situation persists.

Please, I'd love to hear a permanent solution to this as it's just parked in the house. I hope to hear from someone soon.

Thanks
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 12:53am On Feb 19, 2021
yolkman20:
Good day,

Please, I need una help. It's my first car and I'm not really experienced about cars...I discovered that my corolla 03 power goes off on motion, then the steering becomes strong, I couldn't change gear and many more.

Off it and tried kicking it, but it'll only show light on the dashboard but won't kick. I later discovered that the battery light doesn't show once I ignite. I got a rewire guy around and he did something to the fuse under the steering side, it only moved for some time and situation persists.

Please, I'd love to hear a permanent solution to this as it's just parked in the house. I hope to hear from someone soon.

Thanks

Boss good day, from your narration it is not explain in detail to what led to it or how.

But I will like to know if you can confirm from your rewire if it is alternator or kick starter. But boss a thorough diagnosis will solve your car problems
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:57pm On Feb 21, 2021
Toyota – P0171, P0174, P0441, P0455
I had 2 vehicle just last week with similar codes, a Tacoma and Carmy with P0171, P0174, P0441 and P0455

P0171 – System Lean bank 1
P0174 – Fuel System Lean Bank 2
P0441 – EVAP Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
P0455 – EVAP System Large Leak Detected

The 2011 Tacoma comes with all this code but the 2007 Camry come with only the P0171.

After working on both and from the scan result I detect EVAP – Evapourative Emission Control System was the culprit of the Tacoma, because the scan result pointed more towards that. Even though more diagnosis will be carried out.

But for the Camry the Air/Fuel Sensor was replaced and still waiting for more result.

I will go into more detail of how Live Data guided me towards the results I arrived at.

I will Only analyse the 2007 Camry and point out the major components readings

At Start up

MAF Sensor – 2.34
Air/Fuel Sensor – 3.298
Short Term Fuel Trim #1 – 19.7
Long Term Fuel Trim #1 – 39.8

Bother the short Term Fuel Trim and Long Term Fuel Trim are off the book.
Also the MAF reading is surely giving an under reading values which in turn could affect the readings of the fuel trims.

MAF Sensor Measurements at idle – 0.57 not the abnormal reading of 200 or 400 or 45 after warming up should be around 2.8 to 3

Oxygen sensor at 0.10 for bank 1 sensor 1 and 0.15 for sensor 1 bank 2 all at idle position.

Short Term Fuel Trim and Long Term Fuel Trim together should be + or – 10 when added together. Sk when you are having the values up here, I have to check the pressure hose line and EVAP Purge canister to check if its stuck open and allowing more air into the combustion chamber.

Long fuel trim 37.5 when you rev its suppose to go down

Though apart from the Camry that the A/F was replaced am still going to read more values of the Tacoma to be able to finalize my earlier solution.

A normal reading values will be drafted below, though it may varies from car brands

MAF Sensor – 3 to 4
Air/Fuel Sensor – 3.298
Short Term Fuel Trim #1 – 1.53
Long Term Fuel Trim #1 – 0.74
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Mayorwer: 12:58pm On Feb 22, 2021
Blackbishop:
Car cooling system contains
Radiator & radiator cap
Coolant Reservoir
Radiator hose
Thermostat
Cooling fan
Coolant (50% anti freeze and 50% water)
Water pump
Temperature guage

This is the most ridiculous cause of car break down in Nigeria.
How will you feel if your cars start jerking and goes off?
Smoke coming out of the hood, burning smell.
This kind of issue happens on a daily, and it is something we ignore.

The first thing to check is your coolant level before you drive out everyday.
If there is low coolant, check for leakages.
To new car owners never let any road side mechanic remove your thermostat for any reason.
And if there is no leakages, probably you are having an overheating issues that tend tends to deteriorate over time.

Now the water pump is what forces the coolant through passages in the engine to absorb heat. The pump is driven by a belt that needs replacement from time to time. And the water pump will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Spending some cash on replacing the belts and water pump is much less than the cost of repairing the extremely expensive damage that can be done when an engine seizes.

Radiator cap needs to be change also from time to time
Thank you Mr Ayodele,this is exactly my car problem right now,and my mechanic doesn't even know .I wish you are in Abuja to fix it for me .my car jerks on the road and suddenly acceleration will fail and then off. After a while it will start working again ,Right now smoke is coming out of the exhaust. My mechanic keeps touching wrong places .I am in Abuja please do you have any mechanic you can recommend for me . please let me have your contact to call you,so that you will help me explain to my mechanic. Thank you and God bless .0 7 0 five five siX six five seven three seven
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:13pm On Feb 24, 2021
Engine Vibration And Stalling
One of the most common issues have had of recent is Engine Vibration. Which in some situation affects the general operation.

In some situations we get codes like P1337, P2119, P2101 and in some cases it’s just a mechanical issue. But it all depends on the physical inspection and proper analysis and eliminating the part not affected.

Causes of Engine Vibration And stalling

1. Bad Idle Air Control Valve -IACV

2. Clogged or Dirty Air Filter

3. Coil and Plugs or Harness

4. Vacuum leak

5.Engine Seat

6. Faulty Fuel Pump or Clogged or Dirty Fuel filter or Injector or Injector Sensor.

7. Faulty Throttle Body

From experience which I will highlight briefly

2004 Corolla – Was diagnosed and got no code after inspecting all possible causes, we discover the wires on the connector to cylinder 1 coil was broken and was changed and all was back to normal

2011 Hyundai – Stalls at every stops and and refuses to rev more than 3,000 rpm, after carefully examining all possible cause was discovered to be a dirty Throttle body and 2 of the engine mount. After replacing the Engine Mount and Cleaning the Throttle body with Carb Cleaner all went back to normal.

Conclusion

Not all case will be simple and not all will be a complex issue but your mechanic can make it complex. All you need is to understand the technicalities involved and always scan to make life easy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 2:42pm On Feb 26, 2021
Erratic Performance After Warming Up

The problem:

A Toyota Sequoia 2005 starts up well, sometimes the idle will sound a little low, but it has never stalled out while idling. If the idle is rough. When the car is taking off from a standstill it moves smoothly, there is no misfire/stuttering problem. But when the vehicle has warm after driving some distance, the vehicle misfires/stutters very badly, misfiring/stuttering also occurs after shifting but seems to only occur below about 2,500 RPM

When pressing the accelerator the power’s just not being made by the engine, I say stuttering/misfiring because the feeling it makes is like forcing it to move at all. After driving round International Airport road about to climb the bridge was a total issue which took a while to achieve.

The vehicle starts up great, no problems there, always fires up within the first couple of cranks. The vehicle drives like there’s no problems at all while it’s warming up, the problem only shows up after it’s been warmed up, shut off, and then started up again.

After running diagnosis with no possible CEL – Check Engine Light on the dashboard it could be anything from spark plugs, spark plug wires, ignition coil, dying Fuel pump or clogged fuel filter or the injector system or a weak/dying battery. I don’t want to just start throwing the whole parts apart. There’s no CEL or Battery light on the dash.

SOLUTION

After carefully examining the possible causes and proper diagnostic procedures for each parts or section, eventually we had to clean the fuel filter and service the Noozle and change the spark plugs and service the Throttle body too. The SUV is back to normal

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by drmuchin: 2:36am On Feb 27, 2021
This is the state of coolant in my radiator prior to changing of gearbox oil cooler(main culprit)
my worry is could my gearbox be damaged from this?

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 8:35am On Feb 27, 2021
Cold Start,Idling Fine for 5 Seconds, Sputtering And Dies

Cold start is a norms that you will diagnose to be the ECT – Engine Coolant Temperature. What about the car coming up fine then after 5 seconds and went off and you have to repeat the same process up to 3 to 4 times before it stabilizes. I will be giving 1 experience and how it was almost rendering my profession null and void.

I had a truck I used to run normal service. The owner called to complain that it would act strangely after a fill up or on cold starts. Which I suspected to be either Fuel Pump, dirty fuel filter or noozle, and prolly the coil or plugs since it will act normal once it warms up.

Solution

After running a scan it came back empty. That was the first wahala. After changing coil and plugs and fuel pump and fuel filter and still no improvement. The owner was angry and fed with me. He went as far as condemning my professionalism and it was rough. So I pleaded with him to leave the car with me that I will go through it and get back to him the next day. After a thorough diagnosis it ended up being a bad fuel pump module. Nothing wrong with the pressure it had to do with the evap system. Somehow raw fuel was getting drawn up into the system and when the solenoid would open to dump what was supposed to be fumes it was dumping fuel into the intake system causing it to sputter and die. Once the engine got hot it would vaporize the fuel prior to it entering the cylinders.

Check the lines coming from the evap solenoid to see if it is wet. If they are you may have the same issue as I just resolved.

1 Share

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 8:39am On Feb 27, 2021
drmuchin:
This is the state of coolant in my radiator prior to changing of gearbox oil cooler(main culprit)
my worry is could my gearbox be damaged from this?

Even though am still not getting your point, but I will ask some questions for clarification.

Have you checked the tranny oil colour or state?
What car brand?
And finally what was the issue before changing the cooler
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by drmuchin: 8:56am On Feb 27, 2021
Blackbishop:

Even though am still not getting your point, but I will ask some questions for clarification.

Have you checked the tranny oil colour or state?
What car brand?
And finally what was the issue before changing the cooler

Tranny oil deposits appear like cheese or congealed groundnut oil
Issue is that oil mixed with coolant in reservoir
VW jetta converted to golf 4 engine

pls can I reach you on whatsapp
very urgent
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 9:03am On Feb 27, 2021
drmuchin:

Tranny oil deposits appear like cheese or congealed groundnut oil
Issue is that oil mixed with coolant in reservoir
VW jetta converted to golf 4 engine

pls can I reach you on whatsapp
very urgent

Yes in my signature or better still 08055347947
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by drmuchin: 9:08am On Feb 27, 2021
Blackbishop:

ur signature no open
thanks ese gan daalu nagode
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Lacazzi(m): 12:11am On Mar 01, 2021
Blackbishop:

boss. what's the best Camry muscle model to buy from 2007 to 2011
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:41am On Mar 01, 2021
Lacazzi:
boss. what's the best Camry muscle model to buy from 2007 to 2011

2010 comes with less engine complaint
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Lacazzi(m): 8:25am On Mar 01, 2021
Blackbishop:

2010 comes with less engine complaint
thanks my boss
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 6:01am On Mar 11, 2021
C0205 TOYOTA Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Signal Malfunction
Toyota Camry 2007 had an issue with the above code. After running diagnosis I discovered it was the Wheel Speed Sensor not communicating with the wheel at all. I advised the owner to go for a new one since it will give more satisfactory results.

After changing the Wheel Speed Sensor the ABS was still on, which was strange so I got into the car and plugged my scanner and took it for a spin to know if it will communicate or probably it was the stored code.

After clearing the code and switch to all data readings on my scanner I discover while other wheels were sending wheel speed values, the left tyre was not sending any value.

SOLUTION

The Drive shaft was replaced and the ABS went off.

Also after replacing the Drive Shaft and brake pad,the brake padal started vibrating when slowing down and making a ticking sound when driving

The solution was kinda more unbelievable, after changing the brake disc and the vibration was more than before. So I tried to put back the old ones and disconnect the wheel speed sensor for the left tyre and test drive the car, even though the ABS light was on but the whole sound went off. So the solution was the Wheel Speed Sensor. So the WHEEL SPEED SENSOR was replaced twice.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by jerryjerry: 5:32pm On Mar 11, 2021
PLEASE NA WHERE I FIT GET 1ST GRADE 2TR ENGINE AND HOW MUCH ....... THANKS
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Tonyeddoh: 8:14pm On Mar 11, 2021
Hello house. My camry 2002 fuel pump failed hence the engine had a knock. My mechanic said all I need to do is change the crankshaft and fuel pump since it didn't affect the engine block. Please I need your advice as I don't trust his judgement as he serviced the car 2 weeks before the incident. Thanks
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 8:32pm On Mar 11, 2021
Tonyeddoh:
Hello house. My camry 2002 fuel pump failed hence the engine had a knock. My mechanic said all I need to do is change the crankshaft and fuel pump since it didn't affect the engine block. Please I need your advice as I don't trust his judgement as he serviced the car 2 weeks before the incident. Thanks

Am not getting you bro, is it the bad fuel pump that knocked the engine. Or what?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 8:35pm On Mar 11, 2021
jerryjerry:
PLEASE NA WHERE I FIT GET 1ST GRADE 2TR ENGINE AND HOW MUCH ....... THANKS

Where is your location? You can get it at ladipo

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (29) (Reply)

Mercedes G-wagon Vs Innoson G80, Which Side Are You On? (Photos) / Nigerian Man Breaks Record, Rides To South Africa From Lagos On Motorbike / Nigerians React As Dubai Police Flaunt Their Exotic Luxurious Police Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.